A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café

The Library Café Come in, relax, and get to know the other members of this site. Share your hobbies and interests, along with general news of your life.

Old May 24 2022, 06:16 PM   #961
SpaceCowboy

Fan of: "The Ship Who Searched"
Default Re: What is Happening, part II

Zel that roof is a nightmare of a design and probably will hit the higher end of your budget without any problems coming up. And as you said with this house problems are guaranteed. A roof with 4 flat sections would have been better and the ridge cap would have been less likely to be missed. I am guessing that the top left has something to do with the conservatory I believe you have mentioned and that is problematic on its own. I showed this to my roommate/stepdad who is in construction that was his assessment of the situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelandeth View Post
We've been trying to get hold of a roofer to look at the occasional water ingress issue we know we have pretty much since the day we moved in - in 2014 - without success.

Finally today we actually got someone to go and take a look, mainly because they were doing work next door!

Big problem we have is that you can't *see* 90% of our roof. Because it's at quite a shallow angle there's no line of sight on it.

Turns out that the bit of water ingress we were aware of was because an entire ridge tile is missing. It has been missing for a long time. Like "since the 90s" sort of long.

That however is just the tip of the iceberg, long term water ingress from there and due to the failure of the felt under the tiles means that the bottom foot or so of the roof basically isn't there - the tiles are holding the structure together.

So basically we need two completely new roofs and repairs to the two smaller areas.

Budget? Assuming no more horrors are unearthed when the work starts (yeah...on this house? They'll find plenty I'm sure), somewhere in the region of GBP 15-20K. Entirely possible though that could more than double.

What fun.
SpaceCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2022, 06:52 PM   #962
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Pronouns: SheShe
Fan of: PShPern BB, Tia., and Oth
Now Reading: MHOP, Books Jerry Apps, Too Many to Post
Green Re: What is Happening, part II

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceCowboy View Post
Zel that roof is a nightmare of a design and probably will hit the higher end of your budget without any problems coming up. And as you said with this house problems are guaranteed. A roof with 4 flat sections would have been better and the ridge cap would have been less likely to be missed. I am guessing that the top left has something to do with the conservatory I believe you have mentioned and that is problematic on its own. I showed this to my roommate/stepdad who is in construction that was his assessment of the situation.
I don't know but if this could help or not but hhere in the USA PBS has a few HOW to Shows PBS Ask TThis Old House , comes to mind, they have 'seebn' many roof problems, they might be able to connect wwith tthere counterparts ttthere in UK, and there is One more tthat
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2022, 09:11 AM   #963
Zelandeth

Fan of: Dragonsdawn
Now Reading: Working my way through the whole Pern series

Today's going great so far.

Envelope arrived which should have the last two films I sent off for processing and two new ones in.

Envelope has clearly been opened in transit, and contained one new film and a lot of fresh air. Our guess is that someone has felt the card backed inner envelope and thought it might be a greeting card with cash in.

So that's about 80% of my photos from Scotiacon gone, never to be seen. Also the first time I'd tried two new film types to me so I'll have to redo that experiment.

Didn't expect there was much chance of ever being reunited with the contents of the envelope, but it turns out there is absolutely zero chance of it. Any loose items without an address on are sent on to Royal Mail's "dead mail" centre for processing. In the case of things of value that means auction. For things like this it will mean going straight in the bin. There is absolutely no mechanism in place to even try to recover anything. Doesn't really surprise me in 2022, but is annoying nevertheless.

Had another package containing some car parts...approximately 25% of the included items were as ordered. Their contact email address just bounces back as an invalid address. That'll be another PayPal dispute to raise then. The last one was so much fun, taking just over three months and about two dozen emails back and forth to get me GBP30 back...
Zelandeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2022, 10:02 AM   #964
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Fan of: No One Noticed The Cat

That is terrible. I am so sorry for you. People are miserable. A few years back I bought a couple beautiful handmade items from a friend in Texas. When the box arrived it looked like an elephant had sat on it - and it had been opened, gone through, the best things removed and clumsily retaped. The post office did nothing even though my friend had insurance on the box. Is it possible that someone at the convention might have similar photos to some of yours that you could get copies of?

Was not a good start to the day for you. I hope it improves!
Old May 25 2022, 10:13 AM   #965
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Pronouns: She/her
Fan of: the Pern books

I've had an okay day so far. This morning, saw my ostomy system was leaking. I changed the system and the bandage over my incision site. Yesterday, my nurse told me she didn't like seeing the incision site open and to keep it covered. Next time she comes, she'll see it's covered! Sometimes, the bossy girl tells me to clean out the dog cage, even though mom told her to do that! I bet mom doesn't know the girl has me doing that! If she did, she'd get onto the girl!

Last edited by BD1; May 25 2022 at 10:45 AM.
BD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2022, 11:36 AM   #966
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Just got bad! The bossy girl got in trouble, and blamed me for it. How can I handle/control a big dog loose in the house? The bossy girl had wanted me to put the dog in its cage or take it outside! I have an open wound and an ostomy! What if I had fallen on my ostomy bag and it was full?? The bag would have burst open! My fault, right??!? When something goes wrong, my fault, right?!? She just told me I could have grabbed the dog by its collar! I don't know if I'd been able to pull the dog!
Old May 25 2022, 11:49 AM   #967
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Sounds easy. If it's not your DOG it's not your job/responsibility! Sounds like you need a new place!
Old May 25 2022, 11:55 AM   #968
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Other than the bossy girl, I like it here! I don't have anywhere else to go! If it wasn't for mom, I'd be homeless or dead! Anyways, the bossy girl usually brings the dogs(got more than one)in or lets them out! She could have phoned the person back, after taking care of the dogs! But, noo!! She wanted me to do it! Then, she tells me " You're doing too much! "

Last edited by BD1; May 25 2022 at 12:18 PM.
Old May 25 2022, 12:11 PM   #969
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Seems very confusing. You live with your mother? Who are all these other people? How old is the bossy one? Anything over about 18 is not what I'd call a "girl!" I'm glad you do mostly like it.
Old May 25 2022, 12:19 PM   #970
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla View Post
Seems very confusing. You live with your mother? Who are all these other people? How old is the bossy one? Anything over about 18 is not what I'd call a "girl!" I'm glad you do mostly like it.
The bossy girl is in her 30s! Biologically, the woman I call my mom is not my mom. I call her that cause she's like a mom to me! I don't like the bossy girl too much!
Old May 25 2022, 02:45 PM   #971
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Perhaps the bossy one will move out? My daughter will be 39 on Saturday. I have not considered her a girl in many years. Mature adult. Does anyone stand up to this bossy person or does she just bulldoze her way through everyone?
Old May 25 2022, 03:34 PM   #972
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

The girl that's in her 30s seems to be an immature adult! When mom starts getting onto her, here come the tears! When mom gets at me, I just accept it! Just now changed both the ostomy thing and my wound dressing! The ostomy was leaking!

Last edited by BD1; May 25 2022 at 04:34 PM.
Old May 25 2022, 08:15 PM   #973
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

My son and his girlfriend are on a western adventure. They started in Phoenix, then the Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, a photo from the Pawn Stars tv show building, Hoover Dam. Next I think is Yosemite Park, seeing the giant Redwood trees and finally a couple days in Los Angeles and San Diego. What fun!
Old May 25 2022, 08:37 PM   #974
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

2cent Re: What is Happening, part II

Quote:
My son and his girlfriend are on a western adventure. They started in Phoenix, then the Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, a photo from the Pawn Stars tv show building, Hoover Dam. Next I think is Yosemite Park, seeing the giant Redwood trees and finally a couple days in Los Angeles and San Diego. What fun!
I'm sure actually seeing the "Pawn Stars" building was neat!
Old May 26 2022, 06:20 AM   #975
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

I'm sure he was more excited seeing all the natural wonders. I doubt either of them ever watched the show and the reason to stop was it was literally on the road they were on. Reality shows don't interest us.
Old May 26 2022, 08:07 AM   #976
vyon

Fan of: Harper Hall

It's the redwoods I'd want to see. There was a row of them on the northern boundary of my parents farm which was visible from a mile and a half away. A storm in 2015 blew the tops off some of them so they were cut down. The next town inland, Rororua, has a forest of them, planted in 1901 and they are huge. They have a very special feeling about them which is quite different from our local rainforests.
vyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2022, 11:34 AM   #977
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

If you ever get the chance. The red woods are a must see.
The kitten wasn't doing real well. A neighbor has a cat that has nursing kittens, so we gave ours to ger, for a few weeks. Momma cat has taken ours under its paws. I think our is only 3-4 weeks old. It was not ready to leave its mom.

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2022, 01:35 PM   #978
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Had about 15 inches of hair trimmed off carefully into a ponytail to donate. My hair is still about shoulder length.
Old May 28 2022, 07:04 AM   #979
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Happy Birthday, SpaceCowboy! My birthday was just over a week ago (I am a bit older than you ) and today is also my daughter's 39th birthday. Have a great day!
Old May 28 2022, 07:21 AM   #980
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: PiF

Happy Birthday, Space Cowboy, and Happy Belated Birthday, Priscilla!

Hard to believe that our son's going to be a teenager a few days from now... It seems like it was only yesterday that I brought him home from the hospital.
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2022, 01:14 PM   #981
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

Happy birthday to all who are ��

A little excitement yesterday. Got woke up by a tornado warning alert. Luckily it wasn't close to us. Around 5:30 last night we had tornado alert right were we live. We were told to get in your safe spot. I had Kibby stay downstairs, close to our bathroom. We didn't stay in the bathroom, but very close to it. We had high wing, down pouring rain. All critters came in. No damage done. We were very glad when it passed.

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2022, 01:19 PM   #982
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

I'm sure that's as much tornado excitement as you ever want. We very rarely have them, I'm happy to say. We get the occasional hurricane/Nor'Easter/ice storm but there is usually several days warning before any of those.
Old May 29 2022, 02:43 PM   #983
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

There were fireworks last night. I suppose there will be more tonight. In my opinion they have nothing to do with Memorial Day. Quiet family picnics, yes. Parades, speeches, visiting veteran's graves, reciting the Gettysburg Address (which also in my opinion, not enough people seem to follow). That's what it means to me. Fireworks are great on July 4!
Old May 30 2022, 11:35 PM   #984
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Quote:
There were fireworks last night. I suppose there will be more tonight. In my opinion they have nothing to do with Memorial Day. Quiet family picnics, yes. Parades, speeches, visiting veteran's graves, reciting the Gettysburg Address (which also in my opinion, not enough people seem to follow). That's what it means to me. Fireworks are great on July 4!
Well They spoke of that and its the Linckin Memorial 100 years Anniversary , on tthe PBS special, going to re do it on PBS-WI CChannel, last night so I watched and recored the audio of it, I also got the one about primary school into a; home and business in VA, near Lynchburg VA I think.

Its the one that I missed. I am going to bed early have a busy day, getting ready for my new stuff, , on Wed. afternoon, need to do a little prep work for that.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Jun 1 2022, 04:56 PM   #985
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

I'm back from being offline for awhile! This morning, I had to go the emergency department. The skin barrier leaked, then it and the bag totally came off! I got a new ostomy system while I was at the hospital!

Last edited by BD1; Jun 2 2022 at 10:19 AM.
Old Jun 2 2022, 10:19 AM   #986
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

My nurse is supposed to come today. I hope this system doesn't leak! I have three more one piece systems! Prefer the 2 piece systems. While I was in rehab, the night nurse called the 2 piece system, the Tupperware system! I have a CT scan appt June 18 at 11:15 am. It's to see if there's anything in the abscess (I doubt it).

Last edited by BD1; Jun 2 2022 at 10:35 AM.
Old Jun 2 2022, 01:14 PM   #987
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Today is my 43rd wedding anniversary. I just made Jeff laugh. I grew up in a house where the toilet paper unrolled "under". I quickly learned that he "needed" it to go over the top of the roll on the holder. For 43 years that is how it has been. I said to him "if that isn't LOVE, I don't know what is?!"
Old Jun 2 2022, 01:17 PM   #988
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Quote:
Today is my 43rd wedding anniversary. I just made Jeff laugh. I grew up in a house where the toilet paper unrolled "under". I quickly learned that he "needed" it to go over the top of the roll on the holder. For 43 years that is how it has been. I said to him "if that isn't LOVE, I don't know what is?!"
Happy anniversary, Priscilla!
Old Jun 2 2022, 01:30 PM   #989
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Thanks. We are having swordfish (a favorite) for dinner tonight.
Old Jun 2 2022, 03:18 PM   #990
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

I've never had swordfish! Pls let us know how it tastes!
Old Jun 2 2022, 04:12 PM   #991
R'zil

Pronouns: He/him
Fan of: Pern and Talent Series

Quote:
Happy anniversary Priscilla! Swordfish is one of my favorites too. I love it grilled over some mesquite chips.
R'zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2 2022, 08:29 PM   #992
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
I'm back from being offline for awhile! This morning, I had to go the emergency department. The skin barrier leaked, then it and the bag totally came off! I got a new ostomy system while I was at the hospital!
Good to read that you had it fix, and safe home, myself, when out got my hair cut, sleepping better now that I have my new recliner , and typing better with the two new chairs, recalled that I needed a newsupport for-prong cane so we called and have one on order, might come while I am going home, next week, Thur. t over that weekend, to Tu. first Fly-In Drive-In. Sorry still can't edit well with my tech software , or this keyboard, LOL sourly, in two years, butt, it well be good to
see folks, and my dad for I haven't seen him the for a while, just a bit during my phone problems, but that is the way its going.

Stay safe everyone T-Storms and Tropic Storm is heading Ft. Myers and S FL, way its sounding like, so I hope my kin, and friends, and a few others stay safe, I just heard about it on the news, Sat. I think. MY kin have land that is not far above the esea. and if the track is right, Pine Island might just get hit, my Grandparents now my Uncles' place, and my Uncles' place the one that passed away CChristmas 2016 I think, sorry my timeline is very fuzzy, and i have a cuz. that lives near a river, that flooded her homebusiness out of her home, and a few cars too, when it rand the wrong way durithe last bad one. then overflowed its banks, from what I understanded. Luckother Uncle have their RV in the Middle of Fl. Sorry I am no I think I have a fform of Tallent knowing something is wrong with someone I know but don;t knowin and the time before were two ill famillly members, dad and a uncle, or someone passing on,. g till it happens. M This time, I don't know who, but last time, its my
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Jun 2 2022, 08:36 PM   #993
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Big Grin Re: What is Happening, part II

Quote:
'Happy Dance' 'Cake' 'whine glasse' best I can do, 3Great for you, for some reason I can say not spell it right Congulation But I thinK you getwhat I am trying to say.
Getting tired , have a mindgrain but got my hair cut, or as my dad says' "Ears Lowers'
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Jun 2 2022, 08:42 PM   #994
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Question Re: What is Happening, part II

Quote:
I've never had swordfish! Pls let us know how it tastes!
If I haven't said it early on, or not, seconded! I just found a different but maybe aI hope a quickyer way to post , I didn't understand quite wwhat I was hearing, or it was reading to me 'crossing fingers
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Jun 2 2022, 08:55 PM   #995
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Quote:
My nurse is supposed to come today. I hope this system doesn't leak! I have three more one piece systems! Prefer the 2 piece systems. While I was in rehab, the night nurse called the 2 piece system, the Tupperware system! I have a CT scan appt June 18 at 11:15 am. It's to see if there's anything in the abscess (I doubt it).
Hmmsounds I recall reading a aartical about the Air Force I think , or one of ourbranches of the air arm, they had to put thir special suits on sofast that they had burp them like a Tupperwesalid bowl, to get all the air out, before they could hook up the systems in thir aircrafts. I don't kknow if I still have it, but our family lafted about that one, when I found it, I have had kin in the Air Force., but not their, But we had a bowl like that , I thought of my kin awhen I used that one growing up. SO maybe that is why.

Sorry for the long drowed out but, yyour comment just reminded me of that long ago artical , from a local recuter , my coz. was one in UP Michigan for many years.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Jun 2 2022, 09:39 PM   #996
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

My nurse rescheduled to tomorrow! After I got home yesterday, should have called and told the people the nurse works for, that I was back home! Didn't think about it! The reason the night nurse called it that was the top and bottom parts snap together!
Old Jun 3 2022, 07:30 AM   #997
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Let me see. Could anyone really describe what a food tastes like? For swordfish, it is a very "solid" fish. The steaks are usually about an inch thick. Remember, swordfish are BIG! It is fairly fishy smelling before you cook it. The taste is a bit salty and far more distinctive than something like flounder, which is rather bland. I'm not sure I can be more descriptive. Sorry.
Old Jun 3 2022, 08:50 AM   #998
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Sorry about that, Priscilla! I guess that was too tall a request! If I go to a seafood restaurant, I might try swordfish, depending on the cost! The nurse came awhile ago! She ordered some more skin barriers. She also gave me some gauze sponges!

Last edited by BD1; Jun 3 2022 at 12:50 PM.
Old Jun 3 2022, 02:49 PM   #999
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Within the last half hour, my one piece system started leaking (velcro came undone), so had to totally change my system! Have a 2 piece system now!
Old Jun 3 2022, 05:24 PM   #1000
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

2cent Re: What is Happening, part II

Well that works for me, I do recall that they are
hard to get, are they a game ffish? Folks like
to rent boats and fish for them, along with other
types ? Sorry I haven't ben fishing offcoast but
my family has, I have seen that in movies and TV, or
nature nature shows, for their are different types
PBS too many even a KIDS shows had one about
them, LOL but off topic gave me a idea for my
own original work, that I am still working out.
Quote:
Let me see. Could anyone really describe what a food tastes like? For swordfish, it is a very "solid" fish. The steaks are usually about an inch thick. Remember, swordfish are BIG! It is fairly fishy smelling before you cook it. The taste is a bit salty and far more distinctive than something like flounder, which is rather bland. I'm not sure I can be more descriptive. Sorry.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons