A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café > Café Archives

Old Jul 7 2005, 07:48 AM   #1
Flinx
Inactive

Unhappy Terrorist attacks in London

from www.smh.com.au

2 dead, scores injured in London blasts
July 7, 2005 - 9:06PM

Near simultaneous explosions rocked the London Tube and three double-decker buses at the morning rush hour today.

There were reports of deaths and scores of injuries along with fears of a coordinated terror attack.

Two people have been killed in an explosion at London's Aldgate East underground station, police said.

Police have found indications of explosives at the scene of one of a series of at least six blasts in London this morning, and there are concerns that it was a coordinated attack.

"We are concerned that this is a coordinated attack. We are aware that one of the sites does containly does contain indications of explosives,'' said London's Metropolitan POlice Commissioner Sir Ian Blair said on Sky News TV.

The city's entire Underground train network was shut down as a chaotic security alert gripped the capital.

There were reports of loud bangs and tunnels full of choking smoke. Sirens wailed across the city.

The explosions came a day after London was awarded the 2012 Olympics and as the G-8 summit was getting underway in Scotland.

Initial reports blamed a power surge, but officials were not ruling out an intentional attack.

Sky News showed a picture of a mangled red bus and said it appeared London had come under a terror attack.

"There have been a number of dreadful incidents across London today,'' said Home Secretary Charles Clarke, Britain's top law enforcement officer. He said there were ``terrible injuries.''

One witness, Darren Hall, said some passengers emerging from an evacuated subway station and that some passengers had soot and blood on their faces.

He told BBC TV that he was evacuated along with others near the major King's Cross station and only afterward heard a blast.

Police confirmed an explosion destroyed a double-decker bus at Russell Square in central London.

Police were reporting explosions on at least two others buses.

A witness at the Russell Square blast said the entire top deck of that bus was destroyed.

"I was on the bus in front and heard an incredible bang, I turned round and half the double decker bus was in the air,'' said Belinda Seabrook.

She said the bus was packed with people. "It was a massive explosion and there were papers and half a bus flying through the air,'' she said.

Prime Minister Tony Blair, who was hosting the world's most powerful leaders at Gleneagles, Scotland, was expected to make a statement soon.

Britain's Cabinet was in an emergency meeting and the city's mayor was coming home from Singapore after yesterday's Olympic announcement.

It was not clear if the G8 gathering focusing on climate change and aid for Africa - but from which Iraq has largely been left off the agenda - would have to be postponed.

Police said incidents were reported at the Aldgate station near the Liverpool Street railway terminal, Edgware Road and King's Cross in north London, Old Street in the financial district and Russell Square in central London, near the British Museum.

London Ambulance Service said several vehicles had been dispatched to the area near Liverpool Street station.

"We believe there was some sort of explosion. There are some walking wounded at Aldgate,'' said a spokesman for City of London police, speaking on condition of anonymity.

"We are not sure of the scale of the incident. Reports are still coming in.''

Several Tube stations were closed following the incident, including the busy King's Cross station in north London.

Bradley Anderson, a Tube passenger, told Sky News that "there was some kind of explosion or something'' as his train reached the Edgware Road station in northeast London.

"Everything went black and we collided into some kind of oncoming train,'' Anderson said.

Simon Tonkyn, 51, who had been travelling from Paddington station to Aldgate, in east London, told Press Association: "There was just an enormous bang and a lot of smoke.''

"A group of us got fire extinguishers and were able to smash through the carriage door and I now just feel totally numb,'' he said.

Simon Corvett, 26, who was on an eastbound train from Edgware Road station, said: "All of sudden there was this massive huge bang.''

"It was absolutely deafening and all the windows shattered,'' he said. "There were just loads of people screaming and the carriages filled with smoke. "You couldn't really breathe and you couldn't see what was happening.''

"You could see the carriage opposite was completely gutted,'' he said. "There were some people in real trouble.''

AP/PA/Reuters

My thoughts & best wishes go to the people of London.
May all our friends & families over there be safe.
Flinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7 2005, 09:04 AM   #2
Sandi

Default Re: Terrorist attacks in London

I just woke up to this news and am now watching on TV. I can't think of anything meaningful to say. I'm stunned. My sympathy goes out to everyone affected by this.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7 2005, 09:50 AM   #3
c_ris
Journeyman Harper Roedin
Wing Second

Fan of: the Dragonriders of Pern!
Now Reading: The Elder Gods - Eddings

Six or seven blasts. The tube has been shut down, and all London buses have stopped. One explosion ripped apart a double decker bus.

The G8 summit appears to be the target, but Blair has said that it will not be stopped. Blair's speech.

A group has claimed responsibility: Secret Organisation Group of al-Qaeda of Jihad Organisation in Europe.

"When a harper is silenced, all men should listen harder." AtWoP
c_ris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7 2005, 11:43 AM   #4
geishagirl
Inactive

My heart is with you all. I'm praying that everyone is alright. We will get these terrorist! More will come to our aid when they see how destructive and disreguard for the life of there own people let alone ours.
If by setting one's heart right every morning and evening, one is able to live as though his body were already dead, he gains freedom in the Way. His whole life is without blame, and he will succeed in his calling.
*Hagajure Book of the Samurai*
geishagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7 2005, 01:19 PM   #5
Larra Dragonrider
Inactive

I hope you all are alright. I feel really bad for everyone. I think i heard that the death toll is 33 now. The second I heard, I thought of the the peeps on MoM from the UK. I really hope you're alright. I know I'm repeating things but I can't think of anyting else to say.
I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell.
One by one, the penguins steal my sanity.
I dropped. I stay.
Visit Me
Please, check out my new site, more stuff will come soon...
Larra Dragonrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7 2005, 03:15 PM   #6
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: PiF

I'm just so sad.
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7 2005, 05:33 PM   #7
Anneli
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Dragonflight

We've been expecting an attack on London ever since 11 September in New York The Police have successfully foiled several plots, but it was clear that eventually one would succeed regardless. Frankly, we in London learned the hard way to live with the threat after so many years of IRA bomb attacks etc. In some ways - and forgive me if this sounds callous since I moved out of London 3 months ago - it's almost reassuring to see that we can cope with a major attack I know that doesn't help those injured or killed, nor their friends, and believe you me my heart goes out to them, but I for one was proud when I watched the TV coverage of the bravery and calm of the emergency services and the general public.

Rest assured, whatever the terrorists may attempt, London and the UK will never give in. If anything, it will just make us all the more determined to fight terrorism wherever it shows its ugly face
Anneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8 2005, 12:23 AM   #8
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Pronouns: She/her
Now Reading: Relentless Moon by MRKowal

I have prayers and sympathy for all those whose friends and family have been touched by the attacks.

It would be nice to have all of our UK members check in so we know you're okay. I know many/most of you may not be near London, but we non-Brits aren't fully up on your geography...
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8 2005, 04:02 AM   #9
Hans
Master Archivist

They interwiewed an older man on a London street yesterday and he said"to the journalist "I have been here during 40-45" with a face like: these puny terrorist don't make much of an impression on me....

As Anneli said, that doesn't help the vistims, their families and friends but... while on the alert a lot more, it sure won't change politics, views and resolve of the British people.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8 2005, 07:11 AM   #10
c_ris
Journeyman Harper Roedin
Wing Second

Deaths now top 50, but with the final number likely to less than 100.

I agree that it is kinda comforting to know that we CAN handle a major incident - or even several at a time!

And nothing can or will change the views of the British people. We have been through to much to change because of a few nasty little people with a couple of bombs. London survived the Blitz. A terrorist attack is nothing in comparison.

Old Jul 8 2005, 11:35 AM   #11
geishagirl
Inactive

I'm very proud of our British friends. They have been so brave and courageous. They are strong people and have proved so over hundreds and hundreds of years. YA! GOD SAVE THE QUEEN. ( do you all still say that over there?? I read too many Victorian Novels )
If by setting one's heart right every morning and evening, one is able to live as though his body were already dead, he gains freedom in the Way. His whole life is without blame, and he will succeed in his calling.
*Hagajure Book of the Samurai*
geishagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8 2005, 03:46 PM   #12
Kater
Menetteth's Rider
Weyrling

Fan of: Pern, Tower, and Pegasus
Now Reading: Watchers by Dean Koontz

It was very sad to watch but it is comforting to know that our friends on the other side of the pond can handle things so well!! I hope all of our friends and thier friends are ok.

to all!!

Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore
Kater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8 2005, 04:50 PM   #13
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

Security is pretty tight today- Mum had to travel to Birmingham and they were watching out for anything!

My boyfriend's dad was meant to be in London-right where the bombs went off that day- luckily it got cancelled and he didn't go!

everything's pretty normal at the mo- the IRA have been bombing us for YEARS- its less than 20 yrs since they were doing similar scale bombings in UK cities so its not as if we've never had large scale attacks before.
Old Jul 8 2005, 05:11 PM   #14
Sandi

Yes, I remember bombs and bomb threats back when I was there in the 70's. It's really sad that that is a thing so many people have become "used to" but of all the cities in the world the people of London certainly know how to deal with it.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9 2005, 01:05 AM   #15
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Pronouns: She/her
Now Reading: Relentless Moon by MRKowal

Considering the lack of general terror the attacks have caused in London in the face of the indominatable British spirit, I'm betting the terrorists are rather annoyed at the lack of the expected payoff for their efforts. And that thought just gives me a warm fuzzy feeling.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9 2005, 12:44 PM   #16
c_ris
Journeyman Harper Roedin
Wing Second

My reply to the terrorists

Old Jul 9 2005, 04:44 PM   #17
Anneli
Weyrwoman

Now Reading: Dragonflight

Nice one c-ris
Anneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10 2005, 03:15 PM   #18
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Scare last night in Birmingham-they evacuated the city centre. My Uncle- who lives there replied to my texts with...
"What evacuation?"
"See what you mean! B****y hell!"

so much for keeping up with local gossip!
Old Jul 10 2005, 03:19 PM   #19
c_ris
Journeyman Harper Roedin
Wing Second

There is also this: WereNotAfraid.com

Old Jul 14 2005, 03:37 PM   #20
Devcca

Fan of: Eh, The White Dragon
Now Reading: *Too busy to read* Textsbks

Awww... I was trying to see which place I can view the news.
Poor London!
But hey, you guys make a better comeback!!
Devcca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15 2005, 05:03 AM   #21
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Try news.bbc.co.uk Devca-its the BBC's site and has tons on the bomb!
My Gran's been ill so I've been round at hers alot and kept up with the news cos either she or Grandad has the news on alot! or rather they have the tv on and the news just appears evry couple of hours!
Old Jul 16 2005, 06:14 AM   #22
Devcca

Fan of: Eh, The White Dragon
Now Reading: *Too busy to read* Textsbks

Quote:
Originally Posted by edith
Try news.bbc.co.uk Devca-its the BBC's site and has tons on the bomb!
My Gran's been ill so I've been round at hers alot and kept up with the news cos either she or Grandad has the news on alot! or rather they have the tv on and the news just appears evry couple of hours!
I got it bookmarked now. I don't wanna go through all of mine
Devcca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30 2005, 02:56 PM   #23
Shelly
Inactive

Now Reading: Eldest and Eragon, again.

Sadly, it is tragedies like these that bring countries closer together. I guess our terrorists are kind of like the thread that falls on Pern.