A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Beyond Anne McCaffrey

Beyond Anne McCaffrey We know Anne's not the only author you read and enjoy. Come here to discuss and discover authors beyond Anne!

Old Nov 30 2004, 02:06 PM   #1
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)
Default Books you just couldn't finish!

This topic was inspired by Anareth mentioning in another topic that she couldn't get through most of Anne's books besides Pern. For me it's pretty rare not get through a book, even if I'm not particularly enjoying it. Somehow I learned growing up that you have to finish a book, just like you have to clean your plate. Now that I'm an adult I'm working on curing myself of both "have to"s.

The few books that I started and just had to quit partway because I really couldn't stand them and didn't care how the plot turned out (that I can think of at the moment) are:

The second Earthsea book by Ursula LeGuin, where the two people are floating on a boat in the middle of the ocean the whole book. Yegads but they were a boring pair!

The Once and Future King by TH White. I like King Arthur Legend, but told realistically rather than this completely fantastical romp that doesn't even respect basic history (it had Robin Hood as a contemporary of Arthur for crissakes!).

The final LOTR novel. I really need to try reading the whole series again, because I think I was it was just too much for me at age 13 when I last tried it. I wanted to quit reading the books much sooner because I really wasn't enjoying them, but I had to keep reading until they got rid of that damned ring! Halfway through the last book, they do finally destroy the ring; I couldn't fathom what the rest of the book was about and I didn't bloody well care! I loved the movies though, and as a more mature reader I'm very curious to see if I'll like them now or not.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30 2004, 02:48 PM   #2
kitsch
Inactive

Default Re: Books you just couldn't finish!

I'd like to take this opportunity to finally admit that I have stopped reading The Brothers Karamazov. I last picked it up over 2 years ago but have been in denial since.

Feel better for that!

Others I have failed to finish are Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, Middlemarch and Moll Flanders.
kitsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30 2004, 03:04 PM   #3
Vilkacis
Inactive

The Lord of the Rings trilogy - I gave up half-way through the Two Towers. Am currently having trouble convincing myself to keep wading through the Origin of the Species but I will persevere... I will!

Those and my text books from Uni :o

Like Cheryl, I have a bit of a thing about finishing books once I've started them so there aren't that many that I've actually given up on. Although as I tend to have several books on the go at once I do sometimes forget about a less inspiring one for a while then have to go back to the beginning and re-read it.
Vilkacis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30 2004, 03:46 PM   #4
Kater
Menetteth's Rider
Weyrling

Fan of: Pern, Tower, and Pegasus
Now Reading: Watchers by Dean Koontz

I have started many a book and not finished it. I got about 50 pages into The Hobbit (I think I started to young I'll have to go back and try again). The first time I tried DF I didn't get the whole name thing (F'lar and F'nor and such) and I just put it down for awhile (silly reason I know but things like that get to me). Often times I'll get a sequel to something and I won't like it as much as the first book so it goes away. Usually when I make my "Donations to the Library" trips I have 5 or more boxes of books most of them new or hardly used because they were never read all the way through.

I just love books though!!

Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore
Kater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30 2004, 04:01 PM   #5
Jesserli
Inactive

*tries to think* I can't recall a book I've never gotten through. Oh, it took me two years and six tries to read The Silmarillion, but I finally got through it. Same with A Tale of Two Cities.

Actually wait, I got one... War and Peace. I was 11. 250 pages in, I shut the book and threw it across the room in frustration because I couldn't take any more of it. I might try again, now that I'm a bit older. I didn't mind Anna Karenina.
Jesserli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30 2004, 05:49 PM   #6
Sandi

I'm not sure whether I should admit it or not, but at the moment the only book I remember not finishing was Gone With The Wind.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30 2004, 07:17 PM   #7
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Fan of: Pern, Ship Series
Now Reading: Girl Genius (read it!)

Well, as mentioned--

*Second book of Freedom
*The Rowan (Mom couldn't finish that one, either, hence we don't have any more of them--only Anne series, I think, where we don't have all the books, in some cases multiple copies.
*"Sassinak" and "The Death of Sleep"

Never been inspired to pick up the first books of any of Anne's others (though I did manage to read "Crystal Singer" and "Killashandra", forgot that, but wasn't interested enough to read "Crystal Line.")

The first time I tried "Lord of the Rings", I got to about the first book of "Return of the King" and gave up. It was easier after having watched the movie.

I can't honestly recall all the cheap SF/F/Mystery paperbacks I've given up on. One that sticks out is "Winning Colors" by Elizabeth Moon, which I got at the used bookstore because it had a horse on the cover. Two chapters and I lost interest. I've been warned that I would get increasingly picky the more I wrote myself, and it's true. I just have reached the point where if I really can't focus on something, I'm not going to bother trying to keep going. Also makes it easier to send them back to the used bookstore!

There's one that I've been reading for a LONG time, though, but I will finish eventually--"The Tale of Genji", Tyrrel translation. It's really, really long, and I have to read it in bits and pieces because it is NOT in a style Western writers use, but I will get through eventually.
Anareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30 2004, 10:26 PM   #8
AnnMarie
Dragonrider
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern and Talent
Now Reading: The Name of the Rose

So far.... the Dino Planet books.
HMS Unseen (Patrick Robinson)... it's hubby's, he left it out. Usually, we read the same stuff...not this one.
The Elizabeth Moon books I got out of the library....One or two pages, and I was so disinterested, a sneezing fly couls have pulled my attention away from the page.
AnnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1 2004, 03:35 AM   #9
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: PiF

I've finished all of Anne's books that I picked up, although some were much harder going than others.

I never got beyond the first Acorna. The first chapter of Power Lines included with my copy of Powers That Be put me off the rest of the series.

I never finished The Little Friend by Donna Tartt, although I loved her Secret History.
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1 2004, 11:07 AM   #10
Miss K

As with a few people here, I couldn't finish the Lord of the Rings books either. I guess now that i've seen the movies, it might be a bit easier - all I have to do is get my dad to find the last book

Apart from that I can't think of any major books that i've not completed.
Old Dec 1 2004, 12:10 PM   #11
Pam
Heptite Guildmaster

Fan of: Lars Dahl

The French Lieutenant's Woman! It's a running joke, still, 10 years later between my high school friends and I about that book. We were supposed to read it for summer reading and I think maybe one person out of my class actually finished. Needless to say, she was our best friend the night before our paper was due

I pick up lots of books and lose interest within the first few pages, more books than I think I can remember. The ones really sticking out are Sara Douglass' Wayfarer Redemption and Pratchett's Color of Magic (so glad someone recommended I pick up something else by him and try again.)

The Crystal Singer Continuum

Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1 2004, 01:53 PM   #12
c_ris
Journeyman Harper Roedin
Wing Second

Fan of: the Dragonriders of Pern!
Now Reading: The Elder Gods - Eddings

I have never not finished reading a fiction book that i have started. Even if I am finding it hard going, i just keep reading it, and get into it. Of course I find some harder than others, but i always enjoy the books i read. I read War and Peace in about 3 weeks. Some bits were guite hard, but other bits, i just couldn't put it down for!

The books i get bored reading are my uni books... especially some of the primary politicial theorists... written in ths 17th century!

"When a harper is silenced, all men should listen harder." AtWoP
c_ris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1 2004, 07:52 PM   #13
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam
I pick up lots of books and lose interest within the first few pages, more books than I think I can remember.
I do that upon occasion. If I don't get more than 20 pages in, I don't count it as quitting....
Old Dec 1 2004, 08:25 PM   #14
Pat
Inactive

Smile Re: Books you just couldn't finish!

Like Cheryl, I used to feel I HAD to finish a book...no matter what. Have gotten a bit better though

Two books that I recall not being able to plow through, in my younger years...The Hobbit and A Tale of Two Cities.

As to Anne's books, I have my absolute favorites, which I will re-read regularly. The Planet Pirate books though, rarely get re-read.

Guess it took me 50 years to finally "know" what I will like, so there haven't been any unread books in recent years!!!
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2 2004, 11:58 AM   #15
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

Fan of: The Ship Who Searched
Now Reading: The Calhoun Collection, Nora Roberts

Hawkskill Station. Couldn't concentrate, as my attention kept wandering. I think too much. I thought about too many comparisons that probably weren't there, and did not like them.

Tresa

Akhenaton? (c. B.C. 1375)
Egyptian King and Monotheist

Greenrider Tresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2 2004, 03:44 PM   #16
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

i know its not fiction but Brief history of time, is was enjoying it, then got lost.
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3 2004, 02:22 PM   #17
ilona
Glow

Pam and Cheryl I am glad to know I am not the only one to abandon books after a few pages. My criteria is if it hasn't gripped me by page 30 or Chapter 3 (whichever comes first) I give up. Life is too short already without wasting it on books that bore me.
ilona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3 2004, 03:18 PM   #18
Shani
Inactive

I'm another one who couldn't finish LoTR, but I was also a bit young for it perhaps.
I do tend to finish books no matter what and always read the set books in highschool (usually in the first day or two). If a book grabs me though I can get through it in a day or two depending on the size of the book. Boring ones tend to take longer, probably because I get easily distracted.
Shani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3 2004, 03:34 PM   #19
scentman
Inactive

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: Crystal Singer trio

James Joyce's "Ulysses" *shudder* I made it to page 16 I think.

The first time I tried the Hobbit I was too young (I guess about 12/13), and didn't finish it. I got to 'Riddles in the dark', and it hadn't caught my interest, so I stopped. Fortunately a few years later (when I was about 17) I picked it up again and read it, this time I couldn't put it down, nor could I stop with the LoTR trilogy - and they are now amongst my favorites. The Silamarillion was a challenge to get through though - it felt unfinished and 'blotchy', probably because Christopher Tolkein doesn't have the same flair/knowledge as his father did.

In a college classic literature course I decided to do my term paper on "le Morte D'Arthur" by Sir Thomas Malory, because I like the Arthurian legend. Big mistake, as it is one of the most drawn out, and unexciting tales I have read [not because of the subject matter, it was his writing style that got me], but somehow I did finish it and write my report.
scentman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3 2004, 05:10 PM   #20
Jesserli
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by scentman

In a college classic literature course I decided to do my term paper on "le Morte D'Arthur" by Sir Thomas Malory, because I like the Arthurian legend. Big mistake, as it is one of the most drawn out, and unexciting tales I have read [not because of the subject matter, it was his writing style that got me], but somehow I did finish it and write my report.
I agree. I got through it only by skimming the bits that went like "and then this knight smote this night and gave his horse to this knight, who then smote this knight...." yada yada yada. The tourneys were simply terrible.
Old Dec 3 2004, 11:41 PM   #21
Devcca

Fan of: Eh, The White Dragon
Now Reading: *Too busy to read* Textsbks

I say I couldn't finish Mobius... and some others... I'm loosing my memories right now..
Devcca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4 2004, 12:14 AM   #22
Moonlady
Triumping over Hell

Fan of: Crystal Singer series
Now Reading: Spirit Dances by CE Murphy

Chapterhouse Dune by Frank Herbert
I could not put the first four down and was anxiously awaiting this one. I received in in hardback as a gift and anxiously began it, but never finished it and after 10 years donated it to a library.

The 2 sequels to Powers That Be by Anne.
I loved Powers That Be and excitedly delved into the sequels when they came out but I could not finish them. Maybe one day I will try again.

Those are the ones that stand out but I am sure there are others.
Old Dec 4 2004, 08:11 AM   #23
PernFan
Inactive

I couldn't get through the "Doona" books or the "Dinosaur Planet" books. They would bore me after the second chapter and I'd put them down and never finish them.
PernFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4 2004, 08:37 AM   #24
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesserli
I agree. I got through it only by skimming the bits that went like "and then this knight smote this night and gave his horse to this knight, who then smote this knight...." yada yada yada. The tourneys were simply terrible.
I actually managed to read all of Morte D'Arthur (well, I may have skimmed bits of it). I would guess a lot has to do on what version/translation you read. The language in some makes it much harder to slog through. Unfortunately, I have no clue what version it was that I did read...
Old Dec 4 2004, 10:21 AM   #25
AnnMarie
Dragonrider
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern and Talent
Now Reading: The Name of the Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl
I actually managed to read all of Morte D'Arthur (well, I may have skimmed bits of it). I would guess a lot has to do on what version/translation you read. The language in some makes it much harder to slog through. Unfortunately, I have no clue what version it was that I did read...
This reminds me..I couldn't sleep last night, and at 2 am this morning, was watching "Sword of the Valiant" with Miles Keefe and Sean Connery.... it's a version of the story of Gwaine and the Green Knight.
AnnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4 2004, 11:50 AM   #26
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Fan of: Pern, Ship Series
Now Reading: Girl Genius (read it!)

Quote:
James Joyce's "Ulysses" *shudder* I made it to page 16 I think.
Lol, there's a commercial for a hotel chain (Westin, I think) trying to make a point of how comfy their beds are, talking about how the sleeping man in the commercial couldn't make it past Chapter 1, and the camera pans down, and you see the book is..."Ulysses" by James Joyce. I popped up with, "No wonder he's asleep! They should save the money on the matresses and just put a copy of 'Ulysses' in every room."
Anareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4 2004, 04:58 PM   #27
Hans
Master Archivist

LOL

I remember seeing another hard to read/finish book in almost every hotel room

LOL

Must say that in places the Koran is far moe readable than the Bible.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4 2004, 05:09 PM   #28
ghyle
Hrruban
Eighth Hrruban Speaker

Fan of: Pern & Freedom
Now Reading: The Umbrella Club / David Brooks

Although I'm usually picky about what I read, I did encounter a few I couldn't put down fast enough. One was Fay Weldon's Auto de Fay , and another was The Shipping News , the first because it got confusing, and the style was awful, and the second because the style was too staccato, and unsuited to a decent narrative.
ghyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7 2004, 04:19 AM   #29
kitsch
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesserli
Actually wait, I got one... War and Peace. I was 11. 250 pages in, I shut the book and threw it across the room in frustration because I couldn't take any more of it. I might try again, now that I'm a bit older. I didn't mind Anna Karenina.
I've read War and Peace, though I do admit to skim reading most of the battle scenes. The most irritating thing was that it was pre course reading for a Russian Lit course which I didn't end up doing as it clashed with a compulsory core Philosophy course!
kitsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7 2004, 06:51 AM   #30
c_ris
Journeyman Harper Roedin
Wing Second

Fan of: the Dragonriders of Pern!
Now Reading: The Elder Gods - Eddings

Books i seem to not be able to finish seem almost exclusively to be political theories, written between the fifteenth and seventeetn centuries. They involve so much THINKING along with the reading!

"When a harper is silenced, all men should listen harder." AtWoP
c_ris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7 2004, 08:40 AM   #31
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_ris
Books i seem to not be able to finish seem almost exclusively to be political theories, written between the fifteenth and seventeetn centuries. They involve so much THINKING along with the reading!
*pats C_ris on the head and gives him a *

We know how hard that is for you!
Old Dec 7 2004, 11:23 AM   #32
scentman
Inactive

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: Crystal Singer trio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
LOL

I remember seeing another hard to read/finish book in almost every hotel room

LOL

Must say that in places the Koran is far moe readable than the Bible.
LOL...I've tried to read that one (courtesey of the Gideons) too: Genesis, Exodus, LevZZZZZZZZZ....

I have an English version of the Koran, but haven't read it yet - sometime soon I will. However, I did O.K. with Lao Tzu's 'poems' in the Tao Te Ching, but they are purposely written so as to make you think/meditate/reflect, and therefore don't lull you to sleep as easily.
scentman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7 2004, 11:58 PM   #33
ghyle
Hrruban
Eighth Hrruban Speaker

Fan of: Pern & Freedom
Now Reading: The Umbrella Club / David Brooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitsch
I've read War and Peace, though I do admit to skim reading most of the battle scenes. The most irritating thing was that it was pre course reading for a Russian Lit course which I didn't end up doing as it clashed with a compulsory core Philosophy course!
I've read it three times, and I quite enjoyed it. What I found hardest going were not the battle scenes, but the more abstract thinking towards the end regarding history. But I've managed to make my way through them in any case.

Mind you, I read it all three times for purely voluntary reasons, as I did with Finnegan's Wake....
ghyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8 2004, 07:51 AM   #34
Lara
Inactive

Fan of: Pern,Petaybee,Freedom
Now Reading: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Apart from Lord Jim - and that was a bit of a struggle, I don't think I have ever managed to finish a book by Joseph Conrad. Henry James is another writer I really have to concentrate on if I'm determined to slog through to the end.
I have never had any trouble finishing any book by Anne, or by Tolkien (except the Silmarillion, which I find very ho-hum).
I really hate admitting defeat over any book, and it's only recently that I've taken to giving up when the going is really too hard.
Lara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13 2004, 05:11 PM   #35
Legolas
Inactive

I am usually pretty stubborn about finishing books too, and will often give a book a 2nd or 3rd try later on (like the Fellowship of the Ring - it took me umpteen times and about 5 years to read it! couldn't get past all the beginning stuff in the Shire. But then I loved it once I did read it and got past the Council of Elrond)

But recently I have found a book i'm not going to bother to finish - The Life of Pi. I know its supposed to be fantastic, but although it started well, I couldn't get into it, and was so frustrated with all these stupid references to the hated "Richard Parker" I finally gave up and read the end to see who he was. Now of course, there is no point in reading it

I also never read the rest of the Acorna books or the Damia ones. I remember liking The Rowan but couldn't get into the sequals.
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1 2005, 08:45 PM   #36
McClance
Dragon Ambassador

Fan of: Pern & Doona
Now Reading: Final Frontier (mine)

The Silmarillion!
I started reading this book with a thought that I would read all the Lord of the Rings books. As I read The Silmarillion, though, it turned out to be the most boringest (I know that's grammatically incorrect) book that I ever read that the school didn't assign. Everytime I sat down to read it, I would either fall asleep or my mind would wonder more than usual.

After a month, I wasn't even halfway through. So I just gave up, turned it back to the library, and got Dragonsworld, which was MUCH better.
McClance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2 2005, 12:05 AM   #37
Jesserli
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legolas
But recently I have found a book i'm not going to bother to finish - The Life of Pi. I know its supposed to be fantastic, but although it started well, I couldn't get into it, and was so frustrated with all these stupid references to the hated "Richard Parker" I finally gave up and read the end to see who he was. Now of course, there is no point in reading it
You should read it! It wound up being really good. And funny. I know what you mean, though - it is written strangely. But it's good.
Old Jan 3 2005, 03:36 PM   #38
sailorchk
Inactive

Fan of: Nerilka's Story
Now Reading: Crown of Slaves by Weber/Flint

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnMarie
HMS Unseen (Patrick Robinson)... it's hubby's, he left it out. Usually, we read the same stuff...not this one.
He's the fellow who wrote Nimitz Class, isn't he? Which was one of the most poorly-researched books I've ever had the misfortune to lay hands on. His constant natter about the "6000 husbands, brothers, and sons" lost aboard his US air craft carrier showed his utter ignorance of the current makeup of the US Navy. I know it wasn't just out-of-date info, because he used one of the newest of the destroyers by name as well--and completely ignored the fact that it was built for a mixed-gender crew and billeted that way.

Obviously there's one book that I never finished.
sailorchk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3 2005, 05:40 PM   #39
Beisla
Northblue Spirit

It's not often that I don't finish a book even if it's difficult to read, but some I give up because it's so boring.

One I remember not finishing is some Dragonlance book. I struggled through two of them, and gave up halfway through the third.

Marion Zimmer Bradley's Ghostlight.

Then there was some Finnish author's fantasy story that didn't have much depth. I think it was for children.

I know there must be a couple more unfinished books in the last couple of years, but I can no longer remember what they were.
Beisla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13 2005, 09:02 PM   #40
Topaz the Golden
Inactive

Fan of: all of them
Now Reading: anything I can get my hands on

The hobbit is the most recent. I got half way throught and gave up it was putting me to sleep. All the books I was assigned to read in High School. Well almost all of them. I did like The Burning Bed.
Topaz the Golden is offline   Reply With Quote