A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

Old Jun 24 2020, 12:53 AM   #41
Eriflor

Default Re: New Pern Books !

Quote:
2. When Piemur went back to the Harper Hall for a meeting, I got the impression that the crafthall was part of Fort Hold, and Sylvina was definitely referred to as headwoman of Fort Hold, not the Harper Hall.
Gigi tends to refer to the Harper Hall as "the Great hall of Fort" in places.

In fact, as shown in the Atlas of Pern, Fort Hold does have a Great Hall, used for major meetings, banquets, Turn's End celebrations, etc. The Harper Hall also has a Great Hall, mainly used as a venue for big public concerts. Piemur would not have been sitting having a cup of klah in either space, and had no good reason to be in the Hold itself at all. He was waiting for a message from J'hon and needed to be where he could be found.

----
In Chapter 8 there's an after-supper entertainment that includes lots of harpers (and probably healers, who still have sleeping space at the Hall), holders (notably Lord Groghe) and over a dozen dragonriders, with the implication that this is a typical evening activity.
Unlikely, I think --- nothing like that happened in the Harper Hall trilogy, other than people sitting around chatting for a while after the meal. Also, both Weyrs and major holds have their own harpers for entertainment and teaching.
Maybe once a week? Or just on special occasions, as this is how the Hall earns marks.
Eriflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25 2020, 08:50 AM   #42
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

Remember that the hold and weyr harpers were also the schoolstaff and magistrates/arbitrators.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25 2020, 07:50 PM   #43
Eriflor

Right! Sorry, I was over-simplifying a bit there, mainly to suggest that the Holds and Weyrs weren't dependent on the Harper Hall for an evening's entertainment.

The Hall would probably also train record-keepers, clerks, surveyors, accountants, etc., or at least teach basic courses that could be augmented by serving under a journeyman with these skills in a Hold or Crafthall. The Harper Hall trilogy doesn't go into this aspect of apprentice training, other than scripting and embellishing documents, but it must have been covered in the Teachers' College (see Dragonseye).

I'm guessing the hard sciences would be taught at the Smithcraft Hall, Biology at the Healer Hall.
Eriflor is offline   Reply With Quote