A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café

The Library Café Come in, relax, and get to know the other members of this site. Share your hobbies and interests, along with general news of your life.

Old Dec 2 2011, 01:14 PM   #41
Nina
Talent

Finder

Fan of: The Talent series
Now Reading: almost a book a day
Default Re: Anyone else Love their Kindle?

I have bought an ebook reader for my son for Christmas :-)

I still love mine and have read Anne's books for the xth time!

The Rowan is my favourite!

"The name rowan is believed to derive from the Norse runa - "a charm". It was often planted outside houses to ward off witches. On May Day a spray of rowan leaves was hung over doors to repel evil, and wells dressed with rowan to keep witches away. The rowan, or mountain ash, is found commonly in Scotland, sometimes clinging to a rock face."
Nina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4 2011, 12:27 AM   #42
bisbe
Inactive

Fan of: All of them
Now Reading: the one from the library!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svana View Post
I have to say that my Kindle was one of the best buys I've ever made. I love the fact that it's so easy to read and I can carry it with me all the time and start the next book with a simple click.

Not only that, but those bookshelves I used to have in the closet holding my favorites are no longer needed. I can find the old friends in my Kindle.
I have a Kindle 3G Wi Fi. I it! Where I live in rural Wisconsin I don't have high speed internet yet so 3G is a must for me.

Betsy
bisbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2012, 04:16 PM   #43
kc

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc View Post
Not yet - I haven't invested, but I'm thinking about it. My sister got one for Xmas (a 3G wifi one) and I'm not sure if I need that sort or the ordinary one.
Well I finally did it and why did I wait Got the smaller version (not the touch though).

In the 3 weeks I've had it I've downloaded about 50 books - though I've only read 1 and 2 halves but that's more than I've read in ages.

It also means I can read and listen to music on my ipod instead of listening to audiobooks.
kc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2012, 12:29 AM   #44
Rianne
Inactive

Fan of: dragon's dawn
Now Reading: Dream Theives

I haven't gotten a kindle for three reasons (Actually, I haven't even tried to get one. I'm sure that if I did, I'd find a bunch more reasons not to. Or not. I'm not sure...)
Reason one is: I'm scared that all books are going to turn electronic. and I like real books a lot. So I am very quietly boycotting Ebooks-- I'm not trying to get anyone else to, but if I can get it in print easily, I'm not going to get an Ebook.
Reason two:I don't like reading of screens that much. It males my eyes hurt, the light is to ... light? And it makes me feel Icky after a while. Plus, you can't go to sleep while reading it, and just shove it under your pillow before you fall asleep. (Well, maybe someone could. I don't think I can, though.)
reason three: I would just buy WAY too many books. And spend too much time reading. (I already do. Spend EVEN MORE time reading.)

The only reason I would get one is that you could cary as many huge novels as you can fit onto it, for the weight of a paper back book. That is defiantly a plus, especially while traveling.
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2012, 04:50 AM   #45
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Moreta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
Reason two:I don't like reading of screens that much. It males my eyes hurt, the light is to ... light? And it makes me feel Icky after a while. Plus, you can't go to sleep while reading it, and just shove it under your pillow before you fall asleep. (Well, maybe someone could. I don't think I can, though.)
Kindle is e-ink, rather than backlit. You don't get that problem. Hubby has no problem falling asleep reading it - and with a cover, it does slip under the pillow rather nicely!
Quote:

reason three: I would just buy WAY too many books. And spend too much time reading. (I already do. Spend EVEN MORE time reading.)
Yeah, THIS is the killer problem.
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2012, 10:19 AM   #46
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

Surprisingly enough I now like reading on mu iPad, use it everywhere and, surprise, surprise, am very modest in aquiring books. It is a relief not to "haev" to buy real boosk in a period that I am trying to sell a lot of them. When my son leaves the house we will move to a smaller house, preferably an apartment, and with that in mind I need to 'lose' 1,500-2,000 books at least. So the ebook is a great boon.

Remember only my McCaffrey collection is around 600 books... And even part of that collection (non Pern stuff) will probably go.

Latest buy: the two Michael Palin diaries and I love them!

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2012, 07:05 PM   #47
kevia
Ballybran Resident

Tuner

Fan of: Nimisha's Ship
Now Reading: Crystal Line

I have a very good reason to use a kindle. My dh and I are planning for his retirement sometime in the next 10 months. When he retires we are going to move into our RV, a 39 1/2 foot Heartland Big Horn. We will have weight limits on how much we can carry with us, and my library just weighed too much. So I'm gradually getting as many of my books on my Kindle as I can so I can carry fewer paper books with me.

I am keeping some books, but not very many. As many as possible will be e-books.
Old May 30 2012, 08:48 PM   #48
Solitary
Inactive

Fan of: Anything with Dragons

I finally broke down and purchased a Nook and my brother said welcome to the 21st century.

But........I love it!

Except........it's going to cost me more now. If I come across a book I love that I have read on the nook, I will have to find it in print. It's going to cost me almost twice as much now to read.
Solitary is offline   Reply With Quote