A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room

Book Collector's Meeting Room Whether you're an experienced collector or just starting out, this is the place to discuss Anne's books in all their various bindings, languages, and cover art.

Old Jan 2 2010, 11:44 PM   #1
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!
Question What is the full address for your ebay site?

This is something, I thought of, to help everyone look on other ebay sites, other then their own, for various books, dvds, clothes etc that one looks for, in the scheme of things (Nina made me think of it so Nina, thanks ). I'll start off by giving the US version and Australian versions:

www.ebay.com (US version)

www.ebay.com.au (Australian version)

PLEASE would everyone help out by adding their own "www . ebay" address so we can "stickybeak" at times on your own country's version of ebay?

I don't know all of them and sometimes I would like to look on other versions to see what pops up, either for myself or for other people ... so I would be grateful for any info too ..... Thank you!

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3 2010, 03:44 AM   #2
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly
Default Re: What is the full address for your ebay site?

www.ebay.co.uk

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3 2010, 04:01 AM   #3
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

For the full list of links to the individual country sites, go to www.ebay.com , scroll to the bottom of the page, and there you'll see the list. Actually this works on any of the individual country home pages as well.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3 2010, 04:32 AM   #4
Hans
Master Archivist

And from past expriences I know that it's worth your trouble to visit the national sites. That's the only way to catch stuff of which the sellers has stipulated they won't send abroad! While, after being asked, they often will...

OK, just given away one of my collectors tips Ah well, I'm about the only one collecting all languages

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3 2010, 08:10 AM   #5
Dernok
Inactive

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
And from past expriences I know that it's worth your trouble to visit the national sites. That's the only way to catch stuff of which the sellers has stipulated they won't send abroad! While, after being asked, they often will...

OK, just given away one of my collectors tips Ah well, I'm about the only one collecting all languages
Good tip and not only useful when collecting in foreign languages. There're a lot of english books on german ebay (shipping inside Europe is cheaper than from abroad) and the competition isn't that hard.
I _nearly_ got the madly overpriced german version of Dolphins of Pern on british ebay. Unfortunately it went over my 15€ threshold, even there.
Dernok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3 2010, 09:13 AM   #6
Hans
Master Archivist

That's too bad, Dernok

Do you already have Die Renegaten?

I've been to Germany no less than three times last year and tried to buy the new Harper Hall books but every time they were either sold out or not in stock in the shops I visited
They are in abundance on eBay but for some odd reason most sellers ask about 8 euro postage

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Jan 3 2010, 09:59 AM   #7
Dernok
Inactive

Quote:
That's too bad, Dernok
Well, the longer i have to wait to get my hands on it the more will i enjoy it.

Quote:
Do you already have Die Renegaten?
Yep. But a rather worn copy so i'm looking for a better one. As it looks like the prices for this one - prices of some other Pern books in german are going up - are going down slowly so i guess i will be able to get a reasonably priced, better one this year.

The only (german) one missing is "Die Delphine von Pern".

Quote:
They are in abundance on eBay but for some odd reason most sellers ask about 8 euro postage
That doesn't correspondent to any shipment method i know of. It's either a lot cheaper ("Bücher/Warensendung International" for 2,7€) or even more expensive ("DHL Päckchen International 8,6€").

MAybe ebay messed it up? They're trying to force sellers to offer "Free shipping" in some categories. Which results in most sellers not offering shipment at all except within the auction text.
Old Jan 3 2010, 10:27 AM   #8
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

That would be a good way to send presents to some one in a different country. Buy from that country's ebay instead you your own country's. You could save a fortune in shipping that way.

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3 2010, 11:43 AM   #9
Hans
Master Archivist

Dernok, look here:

http://shop.ebay.nl/?_from=R40&_trks...All-Categories

the cheapest there is one that charges 4 euro, the rest is anywhere between 6 and 12
And that's for ONE mass market paperback, and I need all three.
So the thing for me is probaby to wait untill they come on eBAy second hand.

Old Jan 3 2010, 12:24 PM   #10
Dernok
Inactive

Quote:
Dernok, look here:

http://shop.ebay.nl/?_from=R40&_trks...All-Categories

the cheapest there is one that charges 4 euro, the rest is anywhere between 6 and 12
That's funny. They're obviously trying to earn some extra-bucks with the shipping.

I got mine - within germany - for 7,95€ each - including shipment.

I could order a set, have it first delivered to me and then re-mail it to you.

There're several options. As "DHL-Päckchen" for the above mentioned 8,6€ or as a "Post Buch International" for 4,5€.

If you want insurance or online-tracking we're well above 10€...
Old Jan 3 2010, 03:00 PM   #11
Hans
Master Archivist

If you would do that for me, that would be fantastic, Dernok. Sending them to me the cheapest way would be best and I trust the postal services enough that I don't need insurance.

So that would be euro 28,50 for the three books including postage?
That would be fantastic.
Email me how I can get the money to you first: hans @ pern.nl (without the spaces)

Old Jan 3 2010, 05:43 PM   #12
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

I think there's always going to be someone who likes to make an extra buck or 2 from the postage side of things. Found that out, with Chinese sellers that they offer something really cheap but it'll cost $18 instead of $15-ish and yet I've brought stuff from Hong Kong and postage has been minimal or free. Most US sellers have similiar postal costs to Oz and vice versa from OZ going overseas, for postal quotes that I've not stressed too much about it (and if you counting the $-to-$ ratio ). However when it's gets over the 1kg weight limit that one notices it more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawra View Post
That would be a good way to send presents to some one in a different country. Buy from that country's ebay instead you your own country's. You could save a fortune in shipping that way.
It does come in handy sometimes

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4 2010, 03:21 PM   #13
Nina
Talent

Finder

Fan of: The Talent series
Now Reading: almost a book a day

It sure is a good idea to check out other ebays

AND I am glad that we can help eachother out as well *thinking of Hans*

My ebay would be www.ebay.dk and it keeps playing tricks on me like referring me to the US ebay site without asking or listing no items at all even if I know that the items are listed at least in some other country.

The next book I would like to find is "Space Opera" collected stories by Anne McCaffrey and Elisabeth Ann Scarbourough. I have seen it before on ebay, but it is curiously absent now. I will keep looking.

The Rowan is my favourite!

"The name rowan is believed to derive from the Norse runa - "a charm". It was often planted outside houses to ward off witches. On May Day a spray of rowan leaves was hung over doors to repel evil, and wells dressed with rowan to keep witches away. The rowan, or mountain ash, is found commonly in Scotland, sometimes clinging to a rock face."
Nina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4 2010, 05:40 PM   #14
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

Nina: Amazon.uk has about twelve copies for sale (10; 2nd hand / 2; new) ranging from £1 to £28 for the used ones and £59 for new!

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4 2010, 07:01 PM   #15
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

Wow, those upper end prices are ridiculous! It is not that hot or rare a collector's item.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5 2010, 02:57 AM   #16
Hans
Master Archivist

Indeed it is not, but while I perceive a tendency of prices for second hand (Anne McCaffrey) books to go down there seem to be more excesses of people who probably think: what the heck, let's try, maybe we can trick some fool