A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Exhibit Hall

Exhibit Hall For the exhibition of artistic creations by our members, from poetry and prose to drawings, photography, and digital art.

Old Aug 24 2009, 01:20 PM   #1
sjslack
Inactive

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: as usual
Default My new Bookcase Project

Those of you who remember me posting last year, ought to remember the mini-diary I did regarding the monumental task I underwent, cleaning my grandad's bookcases for him. Well, this year the 'Bookcase Project' was my turn, so enlisting my grandad's help, I got rid of the old bookcase I had, and built myself a new one in the attic of the bungalow where I live. I even remembered to take pictures!

----------

So this was one of the corners before the new bookcase was put in. That beareau has in it a number of Anne McCaffrey stuffs (Such as the games, collectors guide, a few magazines, etc), so I wanted to keep it.

And this was my bookshelf before the new one. As you can see, the shelves are too 'high' for the books, and the don't have any decent partitions. They are also far too wide. Yes, it's a rather big mess.

This was my 'to be read' shelf. I have quite a lot of backlog to get through as you can see. That's three rows of books, plus two rows stacked on top.

This was me moving the books from the black shelving and bringing it forwards so that I could dismantle one of them...

The other one I put next to the beureau, which I pushed up against the right hand wall. Here, I'm putting in pieces of hardwood on the sides to stop the books falling out. They ended up looking quite neat.

And here's the finished product, along with big cuddly tiger, and all of my encyclopedias and 'fact' books.

Getting the wood out of the van my grandad managed to pinch for a couple of hours. Those things were heavy!

Oh the joys of having a bandsaw at home so that we didn't have to cut the lengths by hand...and yes, even though I got to play with the sharp toy, I do still have all of my fingers.

Moving all the pieces up to the attic, we had to measure out where all of the shelves were going to come to, before then using a drill to put some screws into it to hold it.

...although a little glue never hurt anyone, just to be on the safe side.

After making the main frame, all we had left to do was to hammer tacks through some hardboard and into the frame, giving it a backing.

Voila, after spending ten minutes trying to push and pull and lift the bookcase into place against the wall and securing it, it was time for me to start putting the books onto it. (Recognise the first book to go on my new bookcase, Lady Maelin? )

And here we are! The finished bookcase! I must admit that it turned out a lot smarter than I originally thought I could get it. All the hard work certainy paid off.
sjslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24 2009, 02:39 PM   #2
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman
Default Re: My new Bookcase Project

That looks pretty amazing!
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24 2009, 04:53 PM   #3
StevenB
Bitsmith/Starsmith,
Master Sneak

Fan of: Skies of Pern: what else?
Now Reading: My computer screen

Wow! What an improvement. Congratulations. It must be great to design something to fit the available space rather than put up with something ready made but the wrong shape.

Congratulations on keeping your fingers. I must admit I have a hand held rotary saw I was given as a wedding present that I have never used. . I remember the pack of sticking plasters that came with it as a joke and then reach for a hand saw. The band saw looks a lot easier to control, though.
Old Aug 24 2009, 04:59 PM   #4
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

Very nice bookcase, unique and fitting the space exactly. Congrats on job done well (and that includes gramps!).

Drawback: I don't see that much space in it left...

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24 2009, 06:07 PM   #5
AnnMarie
Dragonrider
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern and Talent
Now Reading: The Name of the Rose

Absolutely PERFECT!
AnnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25 2009, 02:06 AM   #6
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

That has to be one amazing bookcase. Just curious, would you be willing to make another one? At least you know you can do it and do it well. Well done to both of you for making the most of a small space. Congratulations.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25 2009, 08:09 AM   #7
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

Wow, well done!
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25 2009, 09:45 AM   #8
Kat
Journeywoman archivist

Fan of: DRoP
Now Reading: Sky Dragons

Quote:
Originally Posted by jube View Post
That has to be one amazing bookcase. Just curious, would you be willing to make another one?
I was thinking the same thing !!!

It looks fantastic!!! And to have the satisfaction of having done it yourselves even better!
Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26 2009, 05:43 PM   #9
sjslack
Inactive

Edith - Thanks! It was a lot of hard work, but I think it was worth it.

Steven - Yeah, I was toying with the idea of getting some more cheap-ish shelving from Ikea again, but as you can see, the shelving we managed to make fits the slope of the roof and the height of the door. It also has bigger spaces for the top two shelves. (I think the final measurements were 10 inches for the smaller spaces, and 12.5 for the larger ones).

Hans - There is actually quite a bit of space left in it, thankfully. (Especially since I've been told today that I get to go to Hay on Wye again next month!

AnnMarie - There are one or two things we would have done differently. For example, we would have put the spacers back from the edge slightly, etc...but they're only minor things I guess. ^_^

Jube - -Chuckles- I enjoy all forms of this kind of stuff. I love the whole process, from concept to completion. If it was viable, I'd consider doing stuff like this as a gap-filler job. But alas, I have no actual qualifications. ^^

Cheryl - Thank you muchly ^^

Kat - Absolutely. the difference upstairs still startles me now when I go up for something. -Chuckles- Thank you ^^
Old Aug 27 2009, 03:00 AM   #10
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

Ever though of doing a short course? At least showing some of these type of certificates helps people decide whether to use you as a "carpenter" and if it's specialty designs with a portfolio, even better. It's worth considering. I've known people who've done short courses, simply to better their skills at a particular thing that they're interested in.

Still I like what you've done with it all. Well done!

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27 2009, 09:34 AM   #11
sjslack
Inactive

I'd love to take a few different courses for different types of woodworking, but I just don't have the time (or the funds!) to do so currently. Maybe when I finish Uni.
Old Aug 27 2009, 11:02 AM   #12
DragonBuddy
Linyaari

Fan of: CS, Freedom, and Pern
Now Reading: The Lady

What a beautiful bookcase! Well done! I wish my attic had space for books!
DragonBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27 2009, 04:15 PM   #13
Sandi

Excellent work, Sara (as usual)! You remind me of the Wizard of Oz. You know you're smart and extremely talented, you just need a piece of paper that says so!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28 2009, 12:00 AM   #14
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Well you did choose the best book to go on to your fabulous new book case first...wink...what a job and so incredibly well done. Knowing that your Grandfather is such a Master wood worker...it is no wonder your shelves came out so beautifuly...you clearly learned how to work the wood from him. I'm happy to see you still have all your *Treasures*!!! Now that you have all this new room for books, are you getting to go shopping again...wink!?! Lovely job...WELL DONE

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28 2009, 11:53 AM   #15
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: PiF

Great job, looks just right for the space.
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31 2009, 01:16 AM   #16
Dernok
Inactive

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern

Looks great! I like the idea to leave the upper edges "open" to the side.
Dernok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31 2009, 06:35 PM   #17
D. M. Domini
Talent
Finder

Fan of: Afra Lyon, and Robinton!
Now Reading: Sabriel by Garth Nix

That is very nice. I love built-in and made-to-fit-the-space bookshelves. They're so efficient!

Fanfic WIPs: The Day Benden Went to War (Pern/Talent); Slosh (Pern); Weyrbred Lads (Pern); When You Fall Asleep /Between/... (Pern)

Completed Fics: Flight (Pern), Flight v2 (Pern), Golden Glow (Pern)

D. M. Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1 2009, 07:33 AM   #18
vyon

Fan of: Harper Hall

Great job. I chickened out and got a tradesman to build mine.
vyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13 2009, 01:07 AM   #19
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain

Lovely been wanting to read this one, too tired to read it.

We've got bult-in shelving, which need to redo, cleaning and redoing of the books. done and this give me a idea or two on how to do it,

Only problem is the age of the bulding and we are renting it. Reminds me of a friend booksheveling at a house I visited a few times before they moved, they even had a open well staircase, never try one or two of the steps at the time, right next to a large fireplace, stone mantel reminds me of a cross between a lighthouse and a Pern's cot hold, with lofts for bedrooms.

Say I've got a question for you, perhaps you can help with. The bookcase has sliding doors lovely framed in wood glass onces, and the track is sticking any idea on what would help to them to slide?
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4 2009, 08:00 AM   #20
sjslack
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinnyStar View Post
Say I've got a question for you, perhaps you can help with. The bookcase has sliding doors lovely framed in wood glass onces, and the track is sticking any idea on what would help to them to slide?
With something like that, depending on how far the track is away from the books, you could try a bit of olive/cooking oil. Failing that, a stick of beeswax ought to work.
Old Oct 4 2009, 12:08 PM   #21
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

Can you lift the doors out?

If you can, you can check there isn't a build up of dirt/polish that's causing the doors to stick. Also, if the doors were professionally made, they may have little rollers set in their bottom rails which need cleaning and oiling.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4 2009, 01:51 PM   #22
StevenB
Bitsmith/Starsmith,
Master Sneak

Fan of: Skies of Pern: what else?
Now Reading: My computer screen

Lakeland Ltd in the UK sell a product called "Free N Easy", which can free up stuck drawers and similar things. Try http://www.lakeland.co.uk/free-'n'-easy/F/keyword/Free+N+Easy/product/8998. I don't know if you can get something similar in the USA.

The product isn't perfect though. It's great for drawers but when we tried to free up some sliding aluminium loft ladders it reacted with the plastic runners and turned them into a sticky goo. So it's best to use it on wood.
Old Oct 4 2009, 03:41 PM   #23
Sandi

Sometimes, when it's wood-on-wood like drawers, a light rub with a bar of soap can help.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6 2009, 03:54 AM   #24
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Fan of: Pern, other SF works
Now Reading: Dragonback Bargain
Unhappy Re: My new Bookcase Project

They came with the place, you recall the Where in the World, well we in the same segment of the place, just facing the courtyard, and our old place.

Sorry to take so long to answer this, been kinda buzy and on top of I somehow bend my new reading glasses.

I well take a look I know they are metal rail, with a wooden frame, glas type fronts. When I can see or have a friend take a glance I well let you folks know.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote