A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café

The Library Café Come in, relax, and get to know the other members of this site. Share your hobbies and interests, along with general news of your life.

Old Apr 5 2021, 03:02 PM   #5761
Allen

Fan of: The Pern Series
Now Reading: Robin Hobb's Shaman's Crossing
Default Re: What is happening

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceCowboy View Post
Unfortunately I can't get on there either. While I am a moderator over there that will probably need to be fixed by an admin. And as you both know the only admin over there at this point is Simon and he hasn't been on here since 2019.
And probably the only way you have to get ahold of him is through the site, right?
Old Apr 5 2021, 04:20 PM   #5762
SpaceCowboy
Rocksquat

Fan of: "The Ship Who Searched"

yeap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen View Post
And probably the only way you have to get ahold of him is through the site, right?
SpaceCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5 2021, 06:45 PM   #5763
R'zil
Loo Cow

Fan of: Pern and Talent Series

Quote:
He was actually on the site just a few weeks ago saying it was paid up for the next 2 years. He said he does check in every once in a while to make sure it's working.
R'zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5 2021, 07:47 PM   #5764
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Fan of: No One Noticed The Cat

No email address, phone number or even snail mail address for him?
Priscilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5 2021, 08:02 PM   #5765
SpaceCowboy
Rocksquat

I know that is why I wasn't worried until the others asked about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R'zil View Post
He was actually on the site just a few weeks ago saying it was paid up for the next 2 years. He said he does check in every once in a while to make sure it's working.
Old Apr 5 2021, 08:02 PM   #5766
SpaceCowboy
Rocksquat

The two of us aren't friends away from the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla View Post
No email address, phone number or even snail mail address for him?
Old Apr 5 2021, 09:28 PM   #5767
Zelandeth

Fan of: Dragonsdawn
Now Reading: Working my way through the whole Pern series

Yesterday I started to address some remedial bodywork on the rear of TPA. I'd had issues with a crack appearing to the left of the engine cover, which was basically because I'd done an appalling job of getting the new glass fibre I had laid down to adhere to the underlying bodywork. Hopefully I've done a better job this time.

I've managed to get a lot smoother finish than I did last time - basically because I decided to ditch the applicator and form it by hand (wearing gloves obviously). This was WAY easier. I also used the excess left over to smooth over some of the horribly rough bits on the other side (this is where I started out rebuilding the rear apron so is where the fabrication was at its roughest).

Chuck a bit of paint on there after I've hit it with some sandpaper to knock off any high spots and it should look better I think.

Still be as rough as the North Sea in a hurricane, but better than it was.

-- -- --

Today some additional fibreglass and several coats of resin applied to the back of TPA. Bit of sanding obviously needed and it's never going to be (even close to) perfect, but should definitely be an improvement.

Even before I've done any sanding I think you can see how much smoother the finish is. Perfection isn't the target here, "presentable" is what I'm aiming for.

While I was waiting for that fibreglass to cure on the Invacar I turned my attention to the Jag.

Spot the difference?

Yep, rear silencers are back on.

Definitely preferable...I must be getting older! Would prefer a bit more of an exhaust note, but for now I'll take refinement as a win.

I just had to poke this rust scab didn't I?

Guess I'll be getting the welder out soon then.

I'll probably cut out more than I really need to, as hiding the seam under the bumper will be far easier than trying to flat my welds back to the point they're invisible! Plus this colour will be a pig to match.

I was expecting to find a hole there to be honest. Doesn't look like there's been any prior work there and we know the boot leaks like a sieve. Plus she's a 36 year old Jag, a bit of rust is something you just need to deal with, that's a pretty easy bit to deal with in the grand scheme of things.
Zelandeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6 2021, 05:19 AM   #5768
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

Pernese Friends is still up and running. Can you get to Simon via them?

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6 2021, 07:42 AM   #5769
vyon

Fan of: Harper Hall

Quote:
Has anyone besides me tried to get into the NKT lately? I'm getting a "404 Not Found" error message when I use the link I've used for quite a while. It's been almost a week since I was last able to get in, I think.

I know Space Cowboy is on there, and I've PMed him through here, but he hasn't replied. I know it's not connected to this site, but there were a couple of folks besides me that still kept in touch both places.
So am I and I do go on regularly, even if I don't post.
vyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6 2021, 09:23 AM   #5770
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

I looked and apparently he is on Facebook, though many people don't bother checking that either. Good luck contacting him!
Old Apr 6 2021, 10:13 AM   #5771
SpaceCowboy
Rocksquat

Thanks for the suggestion I never thought of Facebook because for me it is a way to keep up with family and my favorite animal rescue organizations. Hmmm, am I even still a member of the Pernese Friends Facebook page?

Quote:
I looked and apparently he is on Facebook, though many people don't bother checking that either. Good luck contacting him!
Quote:
Originally Posted by P'ter View Post
Pernese Friends is still up and running. Can you get to Simon via them?
Old Apr 6 2021, 06:37 PM   #5772
R'zil
Loo Cow

Fan of: Pern and Talent Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceCowboy View Post
Thanks for the suggestion I never thought of Facebook because for me it is a way to keep up with family and my favorite animal rescue organizations. Hmmm, am I even still a member of the Pernese Friends Facebook page?
You can google (Pernese friends facebook) and it comes right up.
R'zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6 2021, 07:18 PM   #5773
Zelandeth

While it was lovely, dry and sunny earlier on today I had the Jag out again. Yes...Having the silencers back on again is so, so much nicer.

Then this nonsense arrived.

Meant I got a nice photo of the snow in the trees in the evening though.

Later on I was pointed at this website by the owner over on another forum I'm on: Linky.

I've been meaning to get some replica tax discs made up for the fleet forever, but baulked at the cost that most places were asking for them. I started to make my own a couple of times, but being picky enough about my work I never got to a finish I was happy with. These look the part though.

I'll probably print these off again and put them through the typewriter to do the text as that will look far more authentic. Or just stick it in in software because I'm too lazy to go digging in the loft for the typewriter...
Old Apr 6 2021, 10:39 PM   #5774
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

Earlier in the week 28 F degrees today 81. I wonder why my sinuses are acting up.
I'm friends with Simon on Facebook, I'll P.M him & let him know about the NKT problem.

Since I got the new phone I've had problems getting on. I can't P.M someone here.I got Allen's my dragon ate your fairy poster. I love it. Kibby refuses to help me hang it up.

I've been having a huge problem with my left shoulder. I can't move it much without pain. PT was helping for awhile, it WAS getting better. I must have irritated it somehow. It is much wore than it has ever been. Going back to DR. Thursday. My sister thinks I might have torn a rotor cup.

A friend of Hubby was delivering packages for FedX. He went to a house with 5 large, 125-150 pound dogs, they attacked the van. Owner of dogs said they wouldn't bother him. He got out of the van, all 5 dogs attacted him. Owner, & wife, watched the dogs, did NOTHING. Owner had a gun, didn't want to shot dogs. Poor Bruce was being pulled, jersey, bit & scratched, while owners watched. Bruce managed to get into van & called 911.
The only thing the owner said to Bruce was asking him to move his van, so he could put the dog up. Fou d out later that the dogs were well known to animal control, for biting & had bitten another Fed X driver. The owners have never apologized or even asked how Bruce is. He may have some permanent damage to his leg. He'll definitely have lots of scares.

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7 2021, 09:07 AM   #5775
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Sounds like hubby's friend will be Ex-Fed-Ex.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

Old Apr 7 2021, 11:11 AM   #5776
Allen

Fan of: The Pern Series
Now Reading: Robin Hobb's Shaman's Crossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawra View Post
Earlier in the week 28 F degrees today 81. I wonder why my sinuses are acting up.
I'm friends with Simon on Facebook, I'll P.M him & let him know about the NKT problem.

Since I got the new phone I've had problems getting on. I can't P.M someone here.I got Allen's my dragon ate your fairy poster. I love it. Kibby refuses to help me hang it up.

I've been having a huge problem with my left shoulder. I can't move it much without pain. PT was helping for awhile, it WAS getting better. I must have irritated it somehow. It is much wore than it has ever been. Going back to DR. Thursday. My sister thinks I might have torn a rotor cup.

A friend of Hubby was delivering packages for FedX. He went to a house with 5 large, 125-150 pound dogs, they attacked the van. Owner of dogs said they wouldn't bother him. He got out of the van, all 5 dogs attacted him. Owner, & wife, watched the dogs, did NOTHING. Owner had a gun, didn't want to shot dogs. Poor Bruce was being pulled, jersey, bit & scratched, while owners watched. Bruce managed to get into van & called 911.
The only thing the owner said to Bruce was asking him to move his van, so he could put the dog up. Fou d out later that the dogs were well known to animal control, for biting & had bitten another Fed X driver. The owners have never apologized or even asked how Bruce is. He may have some permanent damage to his leg. He'll definitely have lots of scares.
I don't understand why the dogs are still alive if they have an animal control history of biting. If he was attacked in the driveway, I would assume that they are not contained and could easily attack anyone off-property as well. I would also think the owners would be liable for prosecution, since they lied when they said the dogs would not bother the driver and then stood by doing nothing when he was attacked. Fed X should be getting involved, even if the driver is a contract driver like we have here in my area. They aren't TECHNICALLY Fed X employees, but if Fed X does nothing, I would think that the driver would have the right to sue both Fed X (since another driver has been bitten) and the company did not do "due diligence" in having warnings about the animals in place. I know UPS does this. They all knew about my dog the first time they ever showed up, from previous records. I've talked to both UPS and FedX drivers as well as our contract rural USPS mail drivers and they all knew ahead of arrival that I had a giant dog.
Old Apr 7 2021, 04:08 PM   #5777
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Bruce is talking to s later. The dogs were put in quarantine for 10 days.

Old Apr 7 2021, 06:25 PM   #5778
Zelandeth

Did a bit of sanding back today...and after about half an hour remembered precisely how little patience I have for that sort of thing and how much my back (which I'd already hacked off during a tip run earlier) hates it.

So quickly got to a stage of throwing my hands up in the air and saying "Sod it, that's good enough, throw some paint on it."

I didn't realise quite how much even this had improved things though until I looked at a couple of older photos though...

It'll do for now! Car has been in the garage without moving for long enough now. Plus I'm still planning somewhere down the line to A: Hopefully get some actual moulds made for the rear apron and B: Chuck it at a body shop to have a few things sorted out more professionally. So I'm not spending too long on this - dealing with the crack I'd had issues with on the nearside and keeping the car presentable from 30 paces is good enough for me.
Old Apr 7 2021, 11:05 PM   #5779
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Our black & tan coon hound, Lunna has taken to sleeping where the invisible fence makes her collar beep & shocks her. She apparently loves the shock she gets from being too close to the fence. The shock part is as high as it will go. The fence works well for her brother, Blu. His markings are blue tick hound.

Old Apr 8 2021, 01:36 AM   #5780
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Our black & tan coon hound, Lunna has taken to sleeping where the invisible fence makes her collar beep & shocks her. She apparently loves the shock she gets from being too close to the fence. The shock part is as high as it will go. The fence works well for her brother, Blu. His markings are blue tick hound.

Old Apr 8 2021, 05:41 PM   #5781
Zelandeth

Nothing much to report today. Have been fighting off a headache that's been threatening to turn into a migraine so have been taking it easy.

While I haven't been able to track down my stash of tax disc holders yet, I knew where the one which came with the Jag was so have put the replica disc in there now.

I'll likely revisit this once I've figured out a bit better replica for the stamp. Yes, realised right as I clicked print that it would have still been the DVLC back in 85, but it looks the part and that's the whole idea!

Really need to adjust the wipers again...they were just thrown back on when I had the motor apart and are parked way too far up the windscreen. Oh, and wash the poor thing.
Old Apr 8 2021, 07:44 PM   #5782
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

This may be a question no one else cares about but I am nosey so what the heck, I'll see if anyone has any ideas. This "person" michellern60 shows up here multiple times a day in spite of having been banned probably the day they joined almost 2 years ago. Can anyone think of a reason WHY they still come here? Can a person who is banned still read posts? That would be the only reason I can think of, though it seems like they are not looking at threads, just the Index. Yeah, probably no answer to this.

Mawra, that friend of yours should be looking into compensation, especially if it was well known that those dogs had bitten before. That's awful!
Old Apr 8 2021, 10:15 PM   #5783
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Priscilla, he is.

Old Apr 8 2021, 10:22 PM   #5784
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

I'm in Virginia, I want to go somewhere with in a day's drive. Anyone have ideas? Want to gone for 4-5 day's.

We were going to go to Worlcon in D.C,but they've had problems with hotel, went bankrupt. It was suppose to be in August. It's going to be in Dec. They only have 1 hotel. Kibby won't be able to get off work, if she's working, a week before Christmas. The new date was announced a few days ago. They don't have anything lined up. We canceled.

Old Apr 9 2021, 12:51 AM   #5785
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

I found out my 16 year old 10 grader niece, got accepted to a early college enrollment. She'll be going to college next year. I'm very proud of her. She is VERY excited.

Old Apr 11 2021, 07:01 PM   #5786
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Good for her, that is wonderful news. I hope she does really well.

I seem to remember someone mentioned that Simon had just paid for 2 more years for the KT. I would think he would want it useable if he's spent money on it!

I'm still wondering what the "deal" is with this banned michellern60 showing up here multiple times a day. They can't read or post so I see no point in it!
Old Apr 11 2021, 07:20 PM   #5787
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

I messaged Simon on Facebook & he said he's working on the NKT problem.

Old Apr 14 2021, 06:56 AM   #5788
Zelandeth

Quote:
Good for her, that is wonderful news. I hope she does really well.

I seem to remember someone mentioned that Simon had just paid for 2 more years for the KT. I would think he would want it useable if he's spent money on it!

I'm still wondering what the "deal" is with this banned michellern60 showing up here multiple times a day. They can't read or post so I see no point in it!
I'm wondering if it might just be a browser plugin they've got which is scanning for updates regularly where they've just not deleted the entry for this place from? I used to use something like that with the browser Opera back in the early 00s, it would check to see if there were any replies to posts I'd made several times a day and ping me a notification if there was.

Hard to say really but it would fit.

-- -- --

Had TPA out again yesterday. Now proudly displaying her replica tax disc.

Ended up doing something I haven't in years. After I was done with the errands I had to run, I just picked a road and decided to see where it went. Was probably out for a couple of hours all in. That says a lot I think about how I've started to build some proper confidence in this car - and enjoying driving her.

Observations:

10" wheels and quite firm suspension aren't great with the condition a lot of roads round here are in. The fact there are quite so many crashes and rattles from the bodywork and doors I think makes it seem worse than it is because of the noise. It's not actually too jarring and the seat helps provide a decent amount of isolation too. Really want to move on getting the roof lined as I think that will help with the racket.

She's far more at home on A roads than B roads funnily enough. A roads tend to have more sweeping curves with better sight lines so it's easier to carry speed through corners. B roads don't afford the same opportunities (at least the one I was on today...doubly as it's not a road I know) so I was finding myself wishing I had a couple of BHP more on a couple of occasions, and did pull in to let the queue behind me pass at a couple of points. Activa is the car for roads like that.

Still won't impact me driving the car though, and is useful experience to gain. Was a really good workout for the brakes too...so I can now say that brake fade doesn't seem to be an issue, as I was working them pretty hard at a few points!

We're still leaking a bit of oil though I spotted when I came to put her back into the garage a few hours later.

Not a huge amount, just two single drips it looks like. However that's two drips too many for my liking.

I need to do a bit more detective work first but it looks like the culprit is the crankshaft oil seal.

Which would unfortunate as I'm pretty certain changing that will be an engine out job as I think the whole rear engine mount assembly will have to come off to get an impact driver onto it. I'll get a set of seals ordered anyway so they're in stock whenever I need them. If I do end up doing that I'll basically just replace every oil seal on the outside of the engine while it's out.

I'm not *too* worried about it at this point...I just want to keep an eye on it. With so little oil in the sump leaks are something not to be taken lightly though. If it is just a couple of drips when we stop I'm not going to panic though.

Apparently it's catching too...

This could be engine oil or LHM, it's hard to tell because it's dripping off the under tray, so there's no way to see where it's coming from directly. Don't think it's coolant. I'll need to investigate it. There definitely is an oil leak somewhere we need to deal with though as the sump in general looks quite wet.

In addition to the replica tax disc in TPA, the rest of the fleet now have them too, thanks to Qarecar.com.

The ridiculous variety visible from one of the upstairs bedroom windows earlier today definitely made me smile.

Old Apr 14 2021, 08:43 AM   #5789
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Thanks for the reply, Zelandeth. It might be a possibility except I don't think this "person" ever made any posts to "look back at?" They might have and when they were banned those posts were deleted. It's just one of those puzzles that a "retired" person occasionally thinks about.
Old Apr 14 2021, 12:41 PM   #5790
SpaceCowboy
Rocksquat

Can you explain the tax discs to an American? Are those normal for display or something you are choosing to display due to the age of the vehicles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelandeth View Post
I'm wondering if it might just be a browser plugin they've got which is scanning for updates regularly where they've just not deleted the entry for this place from? I used to use something like that with the browser Opera back in the early 00s, it would check to see if there were any replies to posts I'd made several times a day and ping me a notification if there was.

Hard to say really but it would fit.

-- -- --

Had TPA out again yesterday. Now proudly displaying her replica tax disc.

Ended up doing something I haven't in years. After I was done with the errands I had to run, I just picked a road and decided to see where it went. Was probably out for a couple of hours all in. That says a lot I think about how I've started to build some proper confidence in this car - and enjoying driving her.

Observations:

10" wheels and quite firm suspension aren't great with the condition a lot of roads round here are in. The fact there are quite so many crashes and rattles from the bodywork and doors I think makes it seem worse than it is because of the noise. It's not actually too jarring and the seat helps provide a decent amount of isolation too. Really want to move on getting the roof lined as I think that will help with the racket.

She's far more at home on A roads than B roads funnily enough. A roads tend to have more sweeping curves with better sight lines so it's easier to carry speed through corners. B roads don't afford the same opportunities (at least the one I was on today...doubly as it's not a road I know) so I was finding myself wishing I had a couple of BHP more on a couple of occasions, and did pull in to let the queue behind me pass at a couple of points. Activa is the car for roads like that.

Still won't impact me driving the car though, and is useful experience to gain. Was a really good workout for the brakes too...so I can now say that brake fade doesn't seem to be an issue, as I was working them pretty hard at a few points!

We're still leaking a bit of oil though I spotted when I came to put her back into the garage a few hours later.

Not a huge amount, just two single drips it looks like. However that's two drips too many for my liking.

I need to do a bit more detective work first but it looks like the culprit is the crankshaft oil seal.

Which would unfortunate as I'm pretty certain changing that will be an engine out job as I think the whole rear engine mount assembly will have to come off to get an impact driver onto it. I'll get a set of seals ordered anyway so they're in stock whenever I need them. If I do end up doing that I'll basically just replace every oil seal on the outside of the engine while it's out.

I'm not *too* worried about it at this point...I just want to keep an eye on it. With so little oil in the sump leaks are something not to be taken lightly though. If it is just a couple of drips when we stop I'm not going to panic though.

Apparently it's catching too...

This could be engine oil or LHM, it's hard to tell because it's dripping off the under tray, so there's no way to see where it's coming from directly. Don't think it's coolant. I'll need to investigate it. There definitely is an oil leak somewhere we need to deal with though as the sump in general looks quite wet.

In addition to the replica tax disc in TPA, the rest of the fleet now have them too, thanks to Qarecar.com.

The ridiculous variety visible from one of the upstairs bedroom windows earlier today definitely made me smile.

Old Apr 14 2021, 12:48 PM   #5791
Zelandeth

They are basically the equivalent to the little registration stickers that (Michigan and Iowa at least...) require you to display on your license plate. It's proof that you've paid the required tax fee for the vehicle for the year (or six months).

Having started out in the 20s, the paper discs were phased out back in 2014 when the system went fully electronic, as a means for the agency that handles things to save money. So the physical discs are no longer needed, but having been part of everyday life for my whole life it just looks odd not having one in the windscreen to me. So I decided to display replicas of those which the cars would have had in the window when they were new.

-- -- --

Well let's monitor the Invacar oil leak now I've resolved this.

Dumb mechanic error. Guessing I forgot to thread the dipstick in to take the reading. Let's see if this has sorted it next time we're out.

Only real car job was to finish sorting the wipers on the Jag. When I sorted out the intermittent motor back last year I never really put any effort into getting the wiper alignment right and had broken the non return valve for the windscreen washers. Both of these issues were resolved today, so the wipers now park in the correct spot again, so only a quarter of the way rather than halfway up the windscreen.

Replaced the wiper blades too as the ones on there looked horrible. They went rusty pretty much the day they were fitted.

Last job was to realign the washer jets as the driver's side one washed the scuttle and the passenger side one was pointing skywards.

https://youtu.be/Ip6TFFIkLV4

Much better. Granted that's one item of about 700 on the to do list ticked off...but it's something at least!

Last edited by Zelandeth; Apr 14 2021 at 12:49 PM. Reason: correction of a typo
Old Apr 14 2021, 02:36 PM   #5792
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Zelandeth,

I posted a picture for you on Dragonriders of Pern Fans UNITE! on Facebook.

C. S. Lewis

Old Apr 14 2021, 07:35 PM   #5793
SpaceCowboy
Rocksquat

OK that makes sense and Indiana where I live requires the little stickers as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelandeth View Post
They are basically the equivalent to the little registration stickers that (Michigan and Iowa at least...) require you to display on your license plate. It's proof that you've paid the required tax fee for the vehicle for the year (or six months).

Having started out in the 20s, the paper discs were phased out back in 2014 when the system went fully electronic, as a means for the agency that handles things to save money. So the physical discs are no longer needed, but having been part of everyday life for my whole life it just looks odd not having one in the windscreen to me. So I decided to display replicas of those which the cars would have had in the window when they were new.

-- -- --

Snipped
Much better. Granted that's one item of about 700 on the to do list ticked off...but it's something at least!
Old Apr 14 2021, 09:43 PM   #5794
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Virginia does as well.

Old Apr 18 2021, 08:29 AM   #5795
Zelandeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by P'ter View Post
Zelandeth,

I posted a picture for you on Dragonriders of Pern Fans UNITE! on Facebook.
I'll need to see if I can find that later. I very rarely use Facebook to be honest, main reason is one car related group who migrated fully away from forums to the platform a few years ago. I find it really hard to use, especially the search function which seems to be about as useful as Yahoo search circa about 2001.

-- -- --

Not sure if I'll have a chance to do much today but did get an hour or so in yesterday.

Main target was a second pass at trying to get the driver's door on the Jag into a state vaguely resembling weather proof.

Now the easiest solution to this would probably be to build a time machine and go back to prevent whoever replaced the electric window mechanism from being lazy and not bothering to refit the original weather sheet (I found it bundled up in the bottom of the door).

The proper way to do this (and may yet be the road I need to go down) is to remove that to allow me to refit a contiguous sheet across the whole door...however I *really* don't want to faff around with the window if I don't have to as it works perfectly.

After some time and no small amount of swearing we had coverage along the whole door (save for an "n" shaped cutout around the window motor).

There are additional layers behind the interior door handle and speaker void as those are the two areas that I'd been aware of water getting into the car from, so I figured doubling up there from both sides of the door skin couldn't be a bad thing. The main point of ingress at the front appears to be through the wing mirror, so hopefully this should work.

If it does I'll need to repeat the performance on the passenger side as that also leaks - albeit several orders of magnitude less badly.

While I was there I finally got around to finding a replacement for the missing securing screw for the light under the arm rest. Hopefully the lens won't fall off roughly every tenth time the door is closed now.

Thanks to a suggestion from someone on another forum I realised that I'd made a stupid mistake with the wipers. I had completely failed to spot that the wiper arms are sided. With them flipped around I was able to get things sitting far better in the parked position.

Every day's a school day.
Old Apr 19 2021, 01:33 PM   #5796
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

I just read on Facebook that Robin Wood died.

Old Apr 19 2021, 04:30 PM   #5797
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

There's quite a conversation about it on the facebook group "Dragonriders of Pern Fans UNITE!"

C. S. Lewis

Old Apr 19 2021, 08:40 PM   #5798
Zelandeth

How am I ever going to tell which car is mine out here...Oh...wait...

I get the impression that while it may have taken a while for us to tick over the first thousand miles the second one will take anywhere near as long...

That's just under 500 miles in two months.

One of the bits of trim fell off the inside of the offside door last time out, so today I decided to call time on the spray adhesive and got some old school goop involved.

The trim was then firmly wedged in place while that sets.

I reckon this will stay stuck a lot better. Can see me redoing most of these in the same way at some point. Summer will be the real tell when things get warm.

Also on the subject of doors...I completely randomly spotted today that the weatherstrip between the two sliding window panes on the nearside (the offside one is missing) was installed backwards...I apparently totally failed to notice that there was a plastic side and a felt side when I installed it. Does a far better job of stopping the draught when the window is closed now!

Only took me approximately two years to notice. Ten points for observation to me. Oops.

Annoyingly it appears that even with the level sorted that we do still have a slight oil leak. It looks like it *might* be actually coming from the oil pressure switch as the whole area around it looks a bit wet.

Have given the general area a good spray down with degreaser so we can have another look after the next trip out to see if it's the culprit. Would be nice as it's a cheap and easy part to change.

Not holding my breath though...My gut feeling is that we're looking at a leak from the crankshaft oil seal.

The belts are in a state as you can see too. They have been loose for a while now...but lately have been getting a bit ridiculous. Aside from the increasingly unhappy squeak every time the starter is operated from cold, it's never good when you can SEE how slack a belt is.

Yes, that is as floppy as it looks. Especially the one nearest the camera.

The reason I hadn't done something about this sooner was simple: I'd been completely and utterly unable thus far to shift the nut on the Dynastart pulley. The belt tension on this engine is adjusted (like on old VWs) by adding or removing shims between the pulley sheaves...so any tension adjustment involves removing that big nut. While there are two holes in the fan to allow you to wedge it in place - the nut was tight enough that these holes were ovalling out from the torque I was applying.

Right up until the point that I *finally* spent an hour turning the back of the garage upside down and unearthing the impact gun.

In approximately 0.3 seconds it buzzed it straight off without it seemed like any effort whatsoever...Didn't even have to lock the pulley...

Sometimes you just need the right tool for the job at hand.

It's not a tool you'll use for every job (and using it for the wrong one can cause you no end of headaches...), but really is an absolute godsend when presented with something like this or trying to get a wheel nut that's been done up by Kwik-Fit to 10,000,000,000 times more tightly than it needed to be. This was less than £50 and for the three jobs I've really used it for so far I reckon has already more than paid for itself in saved time, sweat and spilled blood. Just make sure if you get one to get a good quality set of sockets to go with it.

The other reason I wanted to get this lot apart was so that I could actually clean up the pulley running surfaces...After this engine had spent a good number of years sitting outside in the weather they were unsurprisingly in quite a state - I'm honestly surprised that the belts didn't just self destruct given the state these were in.

Definitely beyond the point of "self cleaning" at this point...so out with the carbide mop. Realistically I could do with a new set of pulley sheaves, but the heavy, rough pitting that will shred belts is gone at least.

The fan hub (which forms the rear face of the pulley) got the same treatment.

Again...It really has seen better days, but is a lot better than it was.

The belts will want replacement now as running on the pulleys in that state has unsurprisingly wrecked them. I'll grab a new pair next time I'm in the vicinity of Motorserv. They're not exotic or expensive so I'm not worried about that. They are at least properly tensioned now though (if anything a little over-tight in the case of the front belt).

Not really too worried - they'll be getting replaced shortly anyway - I'll spend a bit of time ensuring that the replacements are tensioned as close to as per the manual as possible.

Quick test revealed that the "chirp" on activating the starter is indeed now gone.

https://youtu.be/e-50mlDp2L0

I had also completely failed to appreciate quite how much noise the belts were making at high engine speeds...The engine is SO much quieter and smoother when revved now. Will be interesting to see if that's at all obvious when on the move - though given that about 85% of the noise you're aware of is CVT and gearbox I rather doubt it.
Old Apr 20 2021, 01:28 AM   #5799
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Kibby will be working, in the kitchen, at Olive Garden
They want some willing to start at the bottom & work their way up to chef. Which is exactly what she wants. She'll be making a lot more money as well. They start everyone at 11 dollars an hour. She was making 7.50.

Old Apr 20 2021, 04:27 AM   #5800
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Let's hope their management skills are better.

C. S. Lewis