A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café

The Library Café Come in, relax, and get to know the other members of this site. Share your hobbies and interests, along with general news of your life.

Old Nov 20 2021, 05:38 PM   #241
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Fan of: No One Noticed The Cat
Default Re: What is Happening, part II

We have had as many as 8 cats at one time. We now have 2 and that's our limit.

I'm really glad that your cataract surgery was so successful, mawra.

Mausey, I feel for you. We had a dog when we were first married. Too long a story. We gave her to a very nice woman who had several huskies and was happy to have her. We've had cats ever since. We like dogs, as long as they are someone else's. I wonder if there is a "sound" that your dog can hear at that time every morning that perhaps you can't? Does he seem upset while he is howling? I hope he stops it before he gets throttled! Poor you and poor dog!
Priscilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25 2021, 12:24 AM   #242
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

I just found out the Pocket Dragons Adventure is a cartoon on Peacock. There are plushy Pocket Dragons and DVDs.
I have NEEDS.

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25 2021, 09:15 AM   #243
BD1

Fan of: the Pern books

For those people in the USA, happy Thanksgiving!!!!
Old Nov 25 2021, 10:02 PM   #244
Mausey

Happy Thanksgiving to all the U.S. people here.
Old Nov 25 2021, 11:13 PM   #245
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Hope had a delicious Thanksgiving.

If you don't Celebrate it, I still hope you had a delicious dinner.

Old Nov 26 2021, 07:20 AM   #246
Zelandeth

Fan of: Dragonsdawn
Now Reading: Working my way through the whole Pern series

By complete random chance we seem to have stumbled across someone actually interested in doing some of the landscaping and similar work we need done. Step 1 is sorting out the fences which have had it in a few places.

Going to cost north of five grand, but will be nice to finally have *something* on the mile and a half long to do list ticked off.
Zelandeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26 2021, 11:58 AM   #247
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

We've had the same landscape company - 2 owners and a couple helpers, for over 30 years. Hired them when they just started up in business. They have been reliable, honest and good all these years. They take care of the yard in summer and plow the snow in winter. They are more like family now!
Old Nov 26 2021, 10:25 PM   #248
SpaceCowboy

Fan of: "The Ship Who Searched"

Well we had one crazy day at work. I am not sure how the other cashiers did but I rang well over $35,000 + through my register with 2 $10,000 hours.
SpaceCowboy is nu online   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27 2021, 02:04 AM   #249
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Not surprised.
This is the 1st year in over 30 years I haven't done door buster Black Friday shopping. What shopping I did was for needed home stuff.

Old Nov 27 2021, 10:25 AM   #250
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

We've never shopped on Black Friday and have no plans to start. Except for groceries I rarely ever go in stores, even years ago. A few locally owned ones, yes. Malls or big stores? Nope.
Old Nov 27 2021, 11:02 AM   #251
Allen

Fan of: The Pern Series
Now Reading: Robin Hobb's Shaman's Crossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceCowboy View Post
Well we had one crazy day at work. I am not sure how the other cashiers did but I rang well over $35,000 + through my register with 2 $10,000 hours.
Things were quite the opposite here in our corner of the Ozarks. For several years we've gone to Menard's first thing on Black Friday. It's always been crowded... let's say more like mobbed, first thing at door opening time, no matter where we shopped. Like other stores from Springfield Missouri to Quincy Illinois there have been people lined up to get in, all along the front of the buildings, out into the parking lots, a lack of shopping carts (buggies or trolleys), everything but the fights over merch that have made the day infamous.

Yesterday, we managed to haul our butts out of bed at 5AM and got to Menard's over 35 miles away in Rolla, MO by about 6:45.

There were no crowds. There had been no crowds. Groups of staff standing in plain sight asking the shoppers if they could help find anything, and more than willing to walk you right to whatever you wanted. Plenty of the sale items; no way they were going to sell out in a short amount of time. Of course, Menard's sale was not only yesterday. Rather, yesterday was the first day of a 3 or 4 day sale.

Then it was off to Walmart. Same scenario; no lines, no more crowded than it usually is on say, a payday Friday after work. The BF promotion items were in stock, up to and including the Vizio 70-inch flat screen TV. From the looks of the display, they might have sold 2 of them. We looked around, found what we wanted, and left.

Turned out the real crowds must have been in the restaurants that serve breakfast. IHOP ("International" House of Pancakes, for those of the non-USA crowd here) was at the tail-end of their rush when we arrived, and it showed. Our server was very nice, cordial, did her best to make sure we were properly looked after. But she DID apologize in advance for any long wait times because they had been and were still crowded. We were there long enough to see the thinning-out of the small mob though.

So ended our 2021 edition of "Adventure into Black Friday Mob Shopping."
Old Nov 27 2021, 11:08 AM   #252
BD1

Had gotten the correct bags, but got the wrong bottom part!! I had gotten barrier rings, size 30 mm! My stoma (artificial rectum) is 35 mm!!! A nurse came earlier this week and took a picture of the packing list with the correct reference number circled!! I should get the correct flanges soon!!! I like the Hollister 2 piece system best!!! While I was in a rehab hospital, I knew a night nurse named Elizabeth(she told me to call her Liz) and we called the 2 piece system, the Tupperware system!!!!
Old Nov 27 2021, 01:25 PM   #253
Allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
I had gotten barrier rings, size 30 mm! My stoma (artificial rectum) is 35 mm!!!
Rectum? Damn near killed him! (Sorry, it's one of those words that triggers an automatic response from me. When I was still a C.O. in prison, I worked with a lieutenant named Rector. Just switched sexes in the joke and never did get in trouble. "Rector? Damn near killed her!" I imagine she wouldn't have thought it funny either, but I never told her. Guess nobody else did either.)

Last edited by Allen; Nov 27 2021 at 02:09 PM.
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27 2021, 08:23 PM   #254
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Pronouns: SheShe
Fan of: PShPern BB, Tia., and Oth
Now Reading: MHOP, Books Jerry Apps, Too Many to Post

Quote:
Tell them to go to "forums.srellim.org"
I shall have to copy and paste your whole link then they can find us, I just got back from my dad's place, I hope the same medication that keeps me, and my dad is starting therapy which sounds like it could help him big time, he missing flying, and our local Honor Flight s' are full, but my dad is on the list, and the person who added him just got done with his heart therapy , so I am his lonrange cheering section, one little funny thing is he has been in/out Washington DC with 18 wheels, and a few loads in that area, I recall our Eeann going on her one, dad is from the same time.

I shal have to add on the link, and try and set up the wayback one fro Han's site. I was missing AMC and my mom too, aaround the same time they passed away, from different things, right now I am ffizzed out. Also thinking of a differnt SF writer she wrote the Beastmaster group of stories, Jan Ian talked about helping AMC visit her in hher eassy in Dragonwriter , I hate it when I have to go around with half recalled stuff to explain something, that I can see in my mind then unable to tell folks,
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27 2021, 08:34 PM   #255
BD1

Sometimes when I can't think of a word or phrase, I'll wave my hand around!!!
Old Nov 27 2021, 08:36 PM   #256
BD1

Allen!! I meant the body part one sits on!!!! :roll eyes:
Old Nov 27 2021, 08:43 PM   #257
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

So won't I or say one till I ca n spell it, but I am recording with my Eco. and my MP3 player, so I have learnnot to chat at hher, 'rool eyes' if I could I have my JAWS text to speach sscreen reader on headphones so I don't trigger her. :P at mmy very if you don't listen she thinks yyou are asking her something, Or AlexSiries sp when turned on a I-pad, right now safe in hiding, till I can get someone to help me get the apps fix.,

ROLS I am thinking of a WI born writer, as I was typing this up. not the programs we are using, Someone from my hometown too.

Jeery Apps which reminds me I need to get that on my to do list, before I am in a Pickle of a different type.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Nov 28 2021, 10:24 AM   #258
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

I had the most amazing deal on Black Friday! (which has been appearing now in Europe for some years too)

I saved 100% on something I did not buy!

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28 2021, 10:39 AM   #259
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Oh, me too! We are both amazing "shoppers!"
Old Nov 28 2021, 11:16 AM   #260
BD1

One time I was at a local mall (during the Christmas buying season) and someone, somehow stole $60-70 from me!!
Old Nov 28 2021, 01:35 PM   #261
Allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
I had the most amazing deal on Black Friday! (which has been appearing now in Europe for some years too)

Congratulations Hans! I've been trying to convince my wife about that great savings percentage for YEARS!
Old Nov 28 2021, 01:44 PM   #262
Allen

Quote:
One time I was at a local mall (during the Christmas buying season) and someone, somehow stole $60-70 from me!!
Too bad the thief didn't accidentally grab your "catch bag" instead, huh? Would have taught him quite the object lesson! But that was probably before your illness and surgery, wasn't it?

I remember years ago, reading about a guy that thought he'd steal some gas by siphoning it from an RV... one of those big truck-like recreational camper rigs. He accidently stuck his siphon hose in the sewage holding tank instead of the gas tank and sucked. He was still laying on the ground throwing up when the police arrived.
Old Nov 28 2021, 03:24 PM   #263
BD1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen View Post
Too bad the thief didn't accidentally grab your "catch bag" instead, huh? Would have taught him quite the object lesson! But that was probably before your illness and surgery, wasn't it?
This happened when I was in my 20s or 30s. In 2004, had a colostomy for 13 months! In 2014, my appendix had to be removed ( appendix got inflamed). This August, I almost died!! Was on life support, in a medically induced coma, on a ventilator! Last month, my doctor told me in another 6 months, I'm getting the illeostomy reversed!!! Yay!!! The first time he saw me at his office, he was glad I was walking!! Though it was with a walker!!
Old Yesterday, 06:31 AM   #264
vyon

Fan of: Harper Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post

So did I. I walked into the electronics store which offers me a discount, looking for a portable hard drive since the one I thought I was using wasn't working properly and "dropbox" managed to eliminate at least three years worth of my photos. When I finally got the attention of a salesperson, he told me to try a different connection cord first. And no, "Seagate" I do NOT need a free trial of the latest Adobe! (It seems to be cutting out when I say no to the offer.) I walked out without buying anything, and later remembered that there's no discount on portable hard drives because they sell them at cost, so it doesn't matter when I buy it. So much for "Black Friday" which is a relatively new thing here.
vyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:32 AM   #265
BD1

Anyways, Allen, my catch bag is stuck to me!!! I should have gotten the bottom part of my 2-piece system by now!!! It was ordered, I think, last Tuesday!!!! :annoyed:
Old Yesterday, 04:55 PM   #266
Mausey

None of the stores in our little town bother with Black Friday sales, it's just not worth it for them. The Chamber of Commerce usually has a shop local promotion from the last Monday in Nov. to the weekend. They make up a "passport" and when you shop at local businesses they stamp the book. Three stamps and you can enter it for a draw.

We did hit a couple store when we visited my parents but seems the bulk food store and CostCo don't do black Friday either.

We did treat ourselves and went to see Ghostbusters: Afterlife and I loved it. Seems hubby and I both liked it for the reasons some of the critics don't. Too much copied from the first one, Good!!, same music, Good!! too many inside jokes, even better!!! One said it was too predictable, news flash, with the vast majority of movies you know fairly well how it ends before your butt hits the seat. Good guys win, bad guys get theirs. There are exceptions but for the most part it's true.
Old Yesterday, 05:48 PM   #267
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

What a lovely idea to encourage buying local. A friend is in charge of running all the activities related to the town (parades, concerts, etc). I'm going to mention this to him for next year.

I don't pay attention to movie critics. I sometimes think they get paid to tear apart movies. Very few ever have anything good to say. I loved the first Ghostbusters movie. I don't know how many others there have been but I have not seen any.
Old Yesterday, 07:09 PM   #268
BD1

Blue Re: What is Happening, part II

The movie Highlander 2 destroyed what was established in the first movie!! In the sequel, Connor MacCleod and the other immortals came from another planet!!
Old Yesterday, 10:59 PM   #269
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

I am still having some problems rreading some of the tables, trying to find some of the controls s or shortcut keys, with JAWS my text to Speach reader, just got done reading , What has been happing with folks, I well try and get my new staff to help me clean cout my PM box, and try to answer messages send my way, Jaws has n't given't me all the hotkeys for here yet, at a speed that I can understand, my hearing loss, makes its harder to sometime pick up the key I need to add to wwork, or the list of codes, so I shall have to wait till I can show a new to Pern an AMC Worlds this site,, I might just see and find that Star Trek conection for her dad isa star Trk fan. I am very bad at names,, but Some stick better then others, so I hope to clean out the messagessassoon as I can.

Sorry to drag this out, but I cannot tell right now which one s need removing,, I am hoping that the heart thearpy my dad starts Nov. 30 for ttwo days a week for four months, well let him visit me here at my aprtment buiolding for ists a biplace,. Its a old converted high school and my aprtment is on the other end from the parking lot. I think that I can have help later on this week, so I hope everytbhing gos well, Also thanks for the Information on DropBox for its what I am using now for my backups storage offline, I know the feeling need too see if I can find the PDF are still in our group for a Zine StarRise Weyr group, once I understand how to move bettter with JAWDS.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Today, 01:19 PM   #270
BD1

[QUOTE=Priscilla;212156[I loved the first Ghostbusters movie. I don't know how many others there have been but I have not seen any.[/QUOTE]
There was Ghostbusters, Ghostbusters 2, the remake of Ghostbusters (with women). Now the movie that's out now!!!