A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Monthly AMC Book Discussions

Monthly AMC Book Discussions Beginning on the 15th of every month, we hold an in-depth discussion of a theme from one or more books. Please join us!
Currently on hiatus.

Old May 4 2007, 06:06 PM   #1
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly
2cent To Ride Pegasus.

Okay, I know it's a little late for the fifteenth of April, but at that time I didn't realise that I was going to "facilitate" this one too! (No pre-cog)

A couple of starters for ten:

1 Like Dragonflight, this book started out as separate episodes three of which were published in magazines/anthologies. The exception in this case is the first episode which was the last to appear in print.

2. Unusually for one of Anne's books, there doesn't appear to be any "strong" female lead. Molly Malone, in the first episode, might have built into one but she could'nt because the later parts of the story had already been written without her in them.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2007, 11:03 PM   #2
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !
Default Re: To Ride Pegasus.

I think this was more a story about all the different kinds of mind talents that are out in the world...and about the many different kinds of people that have them getting together and finding a place for each of them to use their Talents.
I loved how Anne focused on each character for a while, instead of just one main character... so that we as readers got to know them all and their individual talent. I enjoyed this one as much for all the different characters as the picture of that time of the earth, and all the many changes.
These stories made it an easy transition into space, and on to the Rowan, Damia and the rest of the talent series. I love this group of stories and books.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2007, 06:57 AM   #3
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: PiF

They're certainly interesting, and I liked the story about the Horvaths best. I guess Ruth Horvath is as close as that book gets to a strong female lead.
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2007, 09:29 AM   #4
Sandi

I think it "shows" that this book is almost an anthology rather than a novel, but the individual stories do blend together to form a whole. I came to the Talent stories late in my Anne-fandom and I read them all out of order, which may influence my view of them. This book seems to me like a "How It Came About" with much less emphasis on character development than Anne applied to other works.

I did notice that there was no central female lead in this book. It seemed odd to me, considering that the cover represents it to be about women, Another case of "you can't judge a book by its cover" I suppose.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2007, 04:15 PM   #5
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

Fan of: The Ship Who Searched
Now Reading: The Calhoun Collection, Nora Roberts

Hmm, I'm curious about your cover, Sandi. Don't get that feel from mine. I'm guessing it's supposed to represent Dorotea hooked toa goosegg or something.
But I do agree with the points already made. I thought it was meant to just be that set of stories with nothing else after it. Can't remember what order I read the books in now, but I think Lyon's Pride and To Ride Pegasus were the first two.

Akhenaton? (c. B.C. 1375)
Egyptian King and Monotheist

Greenrider Tresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2007, 04:51 PM   #6
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

I suspect she has the 1978 paperback edition which shows a "stage" magician and three women on the cover. There's a copy for sale on e-bay right now which classifies it not as science fictioon/fantasy but as folklore!

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

Old May 5 2007, 09:59 PM   #7
Deb
Inactive

Fan of: Pern of course!!
Now Reading: The Portrait of Dorian Gray

I have to agree with the anthology comment. The book just doesn't read as a novel. It seems that Anne must have been exporing the various possibilities of psi powers, and how they might splinter and grow given natural selection and evolution.

A common theme that was mentioned in a couple different books, if I remember correctly, was that psi was in it's infancy and like all small children, it needed to be guarded and guided until it reached it's maturity.

I enjoyed how each story was a snapshot of the next stage of growth for psi powers/Talents, and of course how Anne made it all interconnect by allowing us to see how the organization grew in size and complexity.....guarding and guiding. The nicest touch though was being able to follow the family trees as they too grew in size and complexity!!

I had already read The Rowan, Damia and Damia's Children by the time I found Pegasus. So it was intriguing to me to see how Talent was born, grow into infancy, and then the ongoing maturing process as seen in the first 3 that I had read! Perhaps Anne needed these stories to create the background to support the wild ideas that were battling their way out of her head....these ideas being the progenitors of The Rowan and Damia et al!!
Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2007, 11:41 PM   #8
Sandi

Quote:
Originally Posted by P'ter View Post
I suspect she has the 1978 paperback edition which shows a "stage" magician and three women on the cover. There's a copy for sale on e-bay right now which classifies it not as science fictioon/fantasy but as folklore!
After I agreed in chat I looked in my book and it said 1989 but I think it is the same picture you describe. And on the back there's a blurb about the women. Whoever is selling that as folklore has spent too much time in fandom if they believe it's real!
Old May 6 2007, 08:18 AM   #9
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Even worse: the seller (Books4u) classes it as "Folklore/Mythology"!

e-bay at present is showing about seven different covers to papeback copies.

Having read them in order of appearance, the jump from To Ride Pegasus to The Rowan was quite a large one. Pegasus in Flight and Pegasus in Space were later infillings.

C. S. Lewis

Old May 7 2007, 03:05 PM   #10
Khaki
Inactive

Fan of: Pern/Tower&Hive +
Now Reading: The Skies of Pern

I feel so embarrassed! I love the "Tower and the Hive (or Talent)" books and reread them often. BUT I have totally ignored the Pegeses series and I can't even think of a good reason. Now I can see there are a few new books I need to find and read. I am so glad I found this forum!
Khaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2007, 05:32 PM   #11
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

This book definitely reads as an anthology rather than a novel, because the four chapters (three of which were published as individual short stories first) don't have any sort of plot or consistant central characters which flow from one to the next. The final chapter (which was original to the book) does help tie them together a bit, as it was meant to.

I do love how well it sets up the Talent world though, explaining how talents came to be recognized as valid, the occupations that grew out of them, and the basic protections that were eventually put in place for the Talented. It lays it out quite credibly, and probably a lot faster than could have been done if Anne had written one coherent novel instead of as these distinctive snapshots.

Sandi, that cover was on the book until 1990 when new artwork by Romas was introduced. This is one of Anne's books that's had quite a few cover changes in the US. The first showed three nude figures flying together (with carefully draped ribbons/hair covering the naughty bits ). The second is what Sandi has, the wizards with three women and a horse in the background. The third showed two workers in a high-tech setting checking on a baby in an incubator/hospital cradle. The fourth is in the series of white covers done for all the Pegasus books, with a space suited figure and a woman with a small Pegasus.

Khaki, don't be embarassed, be delighted that you discovered new books to read!
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2007, 09:42 PM   #12
Deb
Inactive

@ Khaki -- Especially new Anne books....oooooo how I wish I had new Talent/Pern books to read!! (I still need to find Restoree and complete my Sassinak books....so I still have some Anne books left to read too!!)
Old May 7 2007, 10:22 PM   #13
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Khaki, To me this book is like reading short stories about the history of the early Talent's...their strugles for independence and fair treatment...instead of the fear, or prejudice they had always known.
If you like The Rowan, Damia and all the rest of the talent series...you will love reading about the start...I know I always do.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old May 7 2007, 10:30 PM   #14
Sandi

Deb, I hope you do find Restoree. It is in some ways "dated" but to me that's one of the endearing aspects of it. I really ought to look for a new copy for myself; mine is falling all to pieces.
Old May 8 2007, 02:41 PM   #15
Khaki
Inactive

Fan of: Pern/Tower&Hive +
Now Reading: The Skies of Pern

I have Restoree and I think I read it twice. I just never got into that one. It was interesting though. As soon as I get a chance I will be out looking for the Pegasus books for sure. I am excited to have something new of Anne's to read.
Khaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2007, 12:41 PM   #16
vita

For the most part, I read the Pegasus and Talent books in order, as they were published, not as they happened in that future's history. So it was something like To Ride Pegasus, the novella versions of The Rowan and Damia, followed by the rest of the books in the order they were released.

I was thrilled to see both The Rowan and Damia become full-fledged novels as I had so thoroughly enjoyed the shorter versions. I was less excited about the extension of the Pegasus storyline because the book hadn't really grabbed me. Once Anne made it a point to connect the two storylines, I went back and read all of the novels in order. I'm just finishing up, right now, with The Tower and The Hive.
Old May 9 2007, 03:55 PM   #17
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Oddly enough I like Pegasus in Space best for some reason. Maybe because I always have trouble with books depicting child abuse (reason why I've only read the first Acorna book, and that once), so that one is one negative for Pegasus in Flight. To Fly Pegasus was a bit too procedural for my taste, I really didn't like the politics of it. There's some of it in a lot of books, and it doesn't necessarily make them bad, but it's one reason why I like the other Talent books a lot more, when Talent rights are established.
Old May 9 2007, 05:27 PM   #18
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

I find it interesting the way she has people still smoking, but smoking substitutes. She recognised early on the problems of "active" smoking but, like the vast majority of us, didn't realise that there was such an animal as "passive" smoking.

C. S. Lewis

Old May 10 2007, 06:07 PM   #19
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

I enjoyed that she wrote about real people that had extrodinary talents...she made them with the same problems that we all have...some problems makeing their talents develop earlier....or work in different ways than the next persons did. I think that Anne delveloped each character very nicely in a very short time...but then again that is one of her best skills....people!!!

Old May 14 2007, 03:28 PM   #20
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Am I the only one who feels that on occasions Daffyd Ap Owen needs a good kick up the pants?

C. S. Lewis

Old May 14 2007, 04:47 PM   #21
Sandi

Definitely not the only one! For someone as smart and savvy as he was in some respects, sometimes I wanted to hit him over the head with the book.
Old May 14 2007, 05:16 PM   #22
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Being a nosy parker I googled "goose egg" (Anne, remember, said that the goose egg was developed for nasa). Nothing!! And apparently that's what it means. To score a goose egg means you didn't score (equivalent of cricket's "golden duck")

So where did Anne get the name from?

C. S. Lewis

Old May 14 2007, 08:34 PM   #23
Sandi

An interesting question. I'd wondered about that myself. Maybe it was based on a NASA invention but the real thing had a different name? Considering her application, I always thought it was just a bit of "Anne Science."
Old May 15 2007, 05:40 PM   #24
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

I wonder whether Cheryl or Hans know? Or whether they could ask her?

C. S. Lewis

Old May 15 2007, 05:56 PM   #25
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

I just finshed rereading the book & liked. It did seem more like short stories than a novel, but all the stories conected.

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2007, 08:12 PM   #26
Deb
Inactive

I'm with Sandi...I always figured that the Goose egg was ""Anne Science"!!!
Old May 16 2007, 07:51 AM   #27
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Nope, the goosegg (one word, one e) is the standard electroencephalogram (EEG) machinery used by doctors to diagnose things like epilepsy. These days, of course, we have much more sophisticated diagnostic tools, such as MRI or CT scans, but EEG still has a place as a diagnostic tool. Of course, the paper rolls have been replaced by monitor screens long since.
Old May 16 2007, 05:39 PM   #28
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Well googling it doesn't really produce anything. Gooosegg on its own offers a variety including covers for chainsaws and a viewer profile for somebody posting @goodlighting.com. But nothing medical.

Goosegg+eeg offers ......

..... an exerpt from "To Ride Pegasus"!

C. S. Lewis

Old May 16 2007, 05:43 PM   #29
Sandi

That's great, P'ter! So we've come full circle (or is it oval?) on this one.
Old May 16 2007, 06:28 PM   #30
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

I always thought that it was some hypothetical development on the eeg

and it's the goose that lays the golden egg as far as the story is concerned
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2007, 06:29 PM   #31
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

One of the book's failings is in the minor characters. There are an awful lot of "spear carriers" around. I suppose that because Anne wrote it as short stories she had to concentrate on developing the few main folk, and leave the minor ones in cardboard cutout.

C. S. Lewis

Old May 17 2007, 02:31 PM   #32
Maximillian
Talent

Fan of: The Talent Series
Now Reading: The Mars Series by Kim Stanley Robinson
Re: To Ride Pegasus.

Greetings fellow readers,

I am currently working on completing a detailed family tree of the primary members of the Talent Series.

I am wondering if anyone else has thought of such a thing, or if, indeed anyone would be interested in seeing such a thing completed.

I have comprised a goodish list of certain family lines within the Pegasus Trilogy and the Tower and Hive series but there are a few gaps.

Feel free to respond here or message me with any comments are suggestions.

Digitally yours,

MMV
Maximillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2007, 04:53 PM   #33
Hans
Master Archivist

And where are you going to put up/publish your material, Max?

I think people will be interested although Granath already has a fine character lists for Talent books (early and later) I don't think she made family trees. I do remember seeing one at one time though but I can't remember where from the top of my head (maybe an earlier venture by you?).

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2007, 05:09 PM   #34
Maximillian
Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
And where are you going to put up/publish your material, Max?

I think people will be interested although Granath already has a fine character lists for Talent books (early and later) I don't think she made family trees. I do remember seeing one at one time though but I can't remember where from the top of my head (maybe an earlier venture by you?).
Well I hadn't thought of where to put it up, although here would be a logical solution, but I'd have to find the proper thread.

I have not as of yet published any of my current work on the family lines, but its encouraging that you may have seen some, I'll have to venture onto the web and see what i can dig up on that score.

Do you have a URL for Granath's list of characters, I would like to review it.

Thanks

Virtually yours,

MMV
Old May 17 2007, 07:24 PM   #35
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

We'd love to have you publish your Talent family tree work here. I'd suggest starting a new thread for it in the Talent forum.

Granath's Talent website is here: http://www.geocities.com/mhallfors/amc/index.html

Welcome to the MoM forum, by the way! :waves:
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2007, 07:03 AM   #36
Joz
Inactive

Fan of: The Crystal Singer

I haven't read To Ride Pegasus in ages! And I'm at a loose end with books at the moment...*goes to rummage in bookshelves* Not that I don't have anything to read at all, you understand, but just in between good books.
Joz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2007, 08:55 PM   #37
Maximillian
Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl View Post
We'd love to have you publish your Talent family tree work here. I'd suggest starting a new thread for it in the Talent forum.

Granath's Talent website is here: http://www.geocities.com/mhallfors/amc/index.html

Welcome to the MoM forum, by the way! :waves:
Thank you kindly Ms. I would be greatly honoured to put up my work here once it is completed.

And thank you for the warm welcome, its a wonderful place you have here.

Synthetically yours,

MMV
Old May 20 2007, 03:03 AM   #38
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Default An Ann-consistancy

In To Ride Pegasus, Anne States that the goosegg was developed by N.A.S.A.

In Pegasus in Space (ch 14), she ascribes its invention to Darrow himself!

C. S. Lewis

Old May 20 2007, 04:14 AM   #39
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Yeah, that's an error, but a minor one by Anne's standards. However, I always read it so that Darrow invented the means of recording Talent use with the goosegg. The apparatus obviously existed earlier, given that his use of Talent was recorded.

I don't have a Talent family tree between the series, because data is too scanty. We do know that there have been three strong Peter Reidingers to serve as Earth Prime, and that there was another one who didn't (Peter Reidinger IV is Earth Prime in The Rowan), but that Talent sometimes capriciously skipped generations and PR IV was disappointed that none of his progeny into the third generation was strong enough to succeed him in his post.

The link to my Towerdex can also be found in my profile. Welcome Max and do keep us posted with your progress re: the family tree!
Old May 21 2007, 02:00 AM   #40
Maximillian
Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by granath View Post
Yeah, that's an error, but a minor one by Anne's standards. However, I always read it so that Darrow invented the means of recording Talent use with the goosegg. The apparatus obviously existed earlier, given that his use of Talent was recorded.
Indeed, I believe that perhaps it wasn't an error so much as a redirection. NASA invented the goose egg, but t'was Darrow that modified it for use in the Parapsychic Centers.

We also must remember that over time, someone such as Darrow would have much attributed to him as a matter of "legend" as it were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by granath View Post
I don't have a Talent family tree between the series, because data is too scanty. We do know that there have been three strong Peter Reidingers to serve as Earth Prime, and that there was another one who didn't (Peter Reidinger IV is Earth Prime in The Rowan), but that Talent sometimes capriciously skipped generations and PR IV was disappointed that none of his progeny into the third generation was strong enough to succeed him in his post.

The link to my Towerdex can also be found in my profile. Welcome Max and do keep us posted with your progress re: the family tree!
Thank you for your kind welcome, and Yes the Reidinger family line is quite well established, one of the unclear spots is Rhyssa's parents, and whether or not she has any siblings. So far there has only been a reference to them having a place in Montanna, I believe it was. I will have to do some more extensive research in order to see if there have been names mentioned in any context that perhaps I missed on the other 3 readings of the series that I've done. LoL

I am into my fourth reading now, and first reading of Pegasus in Space.

I hope to have as much detailed information as I can before I publish any results. I'm a bit of a pain in the arse that way.

Love & Light
MMV