A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Library Foyer > Events Board

Events Board Information on site-sponsored and member-sponsored events: trivia contests, gathers, etc.

Old Jun 30 2008, 09:17 AM   #1
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default An inquiring mind wants to know... a Euro gather anyone?

Just thinking about the possibilities here.

I'm in Rotterdam
Nev is in Leiden
Edith is in Delft later this year
Nina is in Denmark
Kath is in Germany

I think Bertrand is still in Germany
Maybe more?

Could we seriously look at possibilities here?

And where? I could take Nef and Edith to e.g. Maastricht, or just across the German border somewhere interesting (Maastricht c.s. is!).
That would mean almost halfway for Kath but quite a long way for Nina.
Belgium would be nice if any UK peeps would want to attend... but even farther away for Nina and Kath. But Belgium would make even French attendance possible.
The Netherlands, near me would mean I can sleep two peeps at my house (more if my son happens to be away) but put Kath and others at a serious distance.

Euro based MoM and AMCF members, please chime in and lets explore what might be possible.

PS: A grand venue would be the Elf Fantasy Fair (May 2009). It's special but big (attracted 23,500 people this April) but held at Castle Haarzuilen, central Netherlands.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30 2008, 09:23 AM   #2
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Moreta
Default Re: An inquiring mind wants to know... a Euro gather anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Just thinking about the possibilities here.

I'm in Rotterdam
Nev is in Leiden
Edith is in Delft later this year
Nina is in Denmark
Kath is in Germany

I think Bertrand is still in Germany
Maybe more?

Could we seriously look at possibilities here?

And where? I could take Nef and Edith to e.g. Maastricht, or just across the German border somewhere interesting (Maastricht c.s. is!).
That would mean almost halfway for Kath but quite a long way for Nina.
Belgium would be nice if any UK peeps would want to attend... but even farther away for Nina and Kath. But Belgium would make even French attendance possible...

Euro based MoM and AMCF members, please chime in and lets explore what might be possible.
My travel options will become increasingly limited as November gets closer... (maternity leave will officially kick in at the start of October) BUT I may be able to wangle a trip to the Dwingeloo/Groningen area at some point this year, which would make a Netherlands meet feasible? Mind you, I don't know when Edith moves over...

As for 2009, who knows!! I'm open to ideas.

Great idea, Hans.
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30 2008, 09:39 AM   #3
Hans
Master Archivist

I think Edith moves near September.
I'm in no hurry with this, if 2009 would be nicer/beter/more feasible, then I'd opt for that.

Dwingeloo as in link to the Dutch radio telescopes or linked stuff?

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Jun 30 2008, 09:40 AM   #4
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Quote:
Dwingeloo as in link to the Dutch radio telescopes
Yup, that's the one!
Old Jun 30 2008, 09:48 AM   #5
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

I should be moving in on the 18th of August but I can't say for sure until I know if the uni here will pull it's finger out so I can have the degree certificate I need before I can move!
After February (I'm in temporary accommodation until then) I may have space too. It all depends if I get a studio or two room apartment.
Old Jun 30 2008, 09:54 AM   #6
Hans
Master Archivist

So you're half a year in temp accomodation? Wow.

Old Jul 4 2008, 02:26 PM   #7
kc

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: Various

Depending on when it is I could be persuaded

There's lots of connections to Europe from Yorkshire, and I'm looking at going to Norway earlyish 2009 (but not too early that I get frozen!! )
kc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4 2008, 02:38 PM   #8
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Pronouns: SheShe
Fan of: PShPern BB, Tia., and Oth
Now Reading: MHOP, Books Jerry Apps, Too Many to Post

Say Han, I know I am base in the USA, but If you do have a MoM get together will you post it so other who I to see whats going on this site can see what goning on?
I ejoyed look at some of the archives of pass events. By the way are you a person who enjoy taking images? For I have seen in NKT a post image with your old site info I thnk? But I had an uncle (his gone) his was a image taking nut!

Thanks Han, I do have a few images I love to put up but have not had a time to check any out.

Well I hope all MoMer have a ball where ever and when ever you go! The fair idea sound nice we have an local art fair weekend, and a fewa more too, here in Wausu, WI If I ever get all my to-do list done. I can post more infromation for we get people from all over the Mid-West and more
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties

Last edited by GinnyStar; Jul 6 2008 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Update
GinnyStar is nu online   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4 2008, 06:27 PM   #9
Hans
Master Archivist

Ginny, rest assured, there will be pctures taken of every gather, wherever it is held

Old Jul 5 2008, 01:41 PM   #10
Nina
Talent

Finder

Fan of: The Talent series
Now Reading: almost a book a day

Quote:
PS: A grand venue would be the Elf Fantasy Fair (May 2009). It's special but big (attracted 23,500 people this April) but held at Castle Haarzuilen, central Netherlands.
Hans,

Apart from being in a language I do not master, I did get that the Elf Fantasy Fair is held in april

Elf Fantasy Fair 2009
25 & 26 april 2009
Kasteel de Haar
Haarzuilens

Well, I must admit that I have been toying with the thought of going to the Netherlands for the tulips, a certain museum and Hans' special collection of books, but but but Scotland is taking its price, and I have half promised to go to Paris with my family and best friend in 2009.

The thought of meeting is very tempting, though.

Are we really only 5-6 people in Europe???

The Rowan is my favourite!

"The name rowan is believed to derive from the Norse runa - "a charm". It was often planted outside houses to ward off witches. On May Day a spray of rowan leaves was hung over doors to repel evil, and wells dressed with rowan to keep witches away. The rowan, or mountain ash, is found commonly in Scotland, sometimes clinging to a rock face."
Nina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5 2008, 02:53 PM   #11
Hans
Master Archivist

You can switch the site to English I think, Nina.

We'll see what develops for next year, Nina, If in a weekend, would that be possible for you and if yes... what is the max you would be able to travel?

Old Jul 6 2008, 09:46 AM   #12
Nina
Talent

Finder

Quote:
If in a weekend, would that be possible for you and if yes... what is the max you would be able to travel?
Hans,

My travel max is within Europe and getting cheap airfare to one of the big well-travelled airports. If I am going to a country where I have not been before I would like to combine the weekend with a holiday to see the sights, with would include my husband, who does not seem to agree right now but let's see!

I like the idea of meeting at the fair or somewhere else connected to fantasy/science fiction. In Denmark we have a science fiction thing called "Fantisticon" once a year like the Eurocon but very much smaller. Other countries might have the same thing????

"The name rowan is believed to derive from the Norse runa - "a charm". It was often planted outside houses to ward off witches. On May Day a spray of rowan leaves was hung over doors to repel evil, and wells dressed with rowan to keep witches away. The rowan, or mountain ash, is found commonly in Scotland, sometimes clinging to a rock face."
Old Jul 6 2008, 10:16 AM   #13
Hans
Master Archivist

So, just for the sake of clarity, a weekend somewhere in Germany (wit or without your family) would be out of the question.

See, the ony reason I'd consider somewhere in realtively northern Germany would be you. In any other case it'll be more south or even in The Netherlands or Belgium.

Uhm... Elf Fantasy Fair had 35,000 visitors last year Not particularly small.
That's near the size of DragonCon and with about as many people dressed up, but more ren fair / elf like without the SF

Old Jul 6 2008, 10:43 AM   #14
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Hans....Elf Fantasty sounds huge...have you ever been to it before? I am really hoping that a European gather works out for all of you to meet up some time next year. As you know so well....its wonderful to meet up with other MoMers....especially if its near or with another Sc/fanstasy event that you can all share. Good Luck !!!

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6 2008, 11:09 AM   #15
Anneli
Weyrwoman

Now Reading: Dragonflight

*waves*
Don't forget me, in Norway for another year (CF KC's post ) but very willing to travel to Denmark, the Netherlands or Germany
Anneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6 2008, 11:47 AM   #16
Hans
Master Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anneli View Post
*waves*
Don't forget me, in Norway for another year (CF KC's post ) but very willing to travel to Denmark, the Netherlands or Germany
Fantastic!

Old Jul 6 2008, 01:53 PM   #17
kc

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: Various

Quote:
*waves*
But I didn't say where in Norway
kc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7 2008, 12:01 PM   #18
Nina
Talent

Finder

Quote:
So, just for the sake of clarity, a weekend somewhere in Germany (wit or without your family) would be out of the question.

See, the ony reason I'd consider somewhere in realtively northern Germany would be you. In any other case it'll be more south or even in The Netherlands or Belgium.
Hans,

For the sake of clarity I would much rather fly to Amsterdam than go to northern Germany.

P.S.
I did not mean to imply that Elf Fantasy Fair was small. Several videos are available from the Fair on Youtube.com - it is evident that a lot of people participate.

Old Jul 7 2008, 01:43 PM   #19
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina View Post
Hans,

For the sake of clarity I would much rather fly to Amsterdam than go to northern Germany.

P.S.
I did not mean to imply that Elf Fantasy Fair was small. Several videos are available from the Fair on Youtube.com - it is evident that a lot of people participate.
So would I! Imagine a gather in Kiel? You might as well hold one in Loughborough...
Old Jul 7 2008, 02:19 PM   #20
Hans
Master Archivist

LOL

You both got a point!

Old Jul 7 2008, 08:09 PM   #21
Lanen
Kaelar of Kolmar

Fan of: The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Winds of Change and Shaping

Would love to finally get to Elf Fantasy Fair - was supposed to be a guest once but had to back out at the last minute due to writinig commitment - hmm, they might not want me to come!
Old Jul 9 2008, 05:23 PM   #22
Anneli
Weyrwoman

Drat Kiel would be great for me - like Copenhagen, it has a direct ferry from practically the bottom of my garden here in Oslo, thereby avoiding the annoyance and boredom of airports and their security queues as well as the "danger" of having to be parted from my luggage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post
So would I! Imagine a gather in Kiel? You might as well hold one in Loughborough...
Old Jul 10 2008, 02:54 PM   #23
Nina
Talent

Finder

So what about going to Oslo?

Old Jul 10 2008, 04:03 PM   #24
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Or Copenhagen? I haven't been there since I was about five, but I've still got relatives in Denmark...
Old Jul 10 2008, 05:03 PM   #25
Hans
Master Archivist

Well I've been to Copenhagen last year and I was orginally hoping to meet somewhere i Germany so travel would almost be the same for everybody...

Old Jul 10 2008, 05:54 PM   #26
Anneli
Weyrwoman

If everyone's won the pools and is prepared to pay at least £6 for a glass of wine or a small beer, then great *wonders how many people with sleeping bags she can stack up in her living room*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina View Post
So what about going to Oslo?
Old Jul 11 2008, 12:57 AM   #27
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Quote:
If everyone's won the pools and is prepared to pay at least £6 for a glass of wine or a small beer, then great *wonders how many people with sleeping bags she can stack up in her living room*
Not that I am able to go but, I hope you all have fun where in Euro for a gather Other other drinks tea, coffee ect.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Jul 11 2008, 08:12 AM   #28
Lanen
Kaelar of Kolmar

OK, American with lousy geography skills - er - where is Kiel? Do I gather it's in northern Germany? Or am I being an idiot?
Old Jul 11 2008, 11:37 AM   #29
Hans
Master Archivist

No, you're not

Kiel is in northern Germany indeed, it's in the Bundes State that borders on Denmark, about 50-60 miles north of Hamburg.

It doesn't get my vote

Old Jul 11 2008, 06:32 PM   #30
Lanen
Kaelar of Kolmar

I'm kinda game for anywhere except Oslo - sorry, Anneli, but I have a healthy respect for what's left of my wallet!

Any particular reason why not Kiel, Hans? It's just a name to me - have you been there, and is it a dump?

I know Dwingeloo was only mentioned in passing, but that could be a fun spot, and I've got pals near there! There again, I've never been to Die Nederlands, would love to make an idiot of myself with my lousy Dutch and have a peep at the culture. LOVE new places!

All I have to do now is rob a bank so I can afford to go *anywhere*...
Old Jul 12 2008, 03:44 AM   #31
Hans
Master Archivist

No, not anything particular but it's a harbour/industrial city and as far as I know nothing really interesting.

If distances are indeed of importance somewhere in The Netherlands or western Germany seems most central, if number of persons are considered -- and I never knew I'd get to say this -- The Netherlands seems the obvious chice.

If we were to have it near the German border in Dwingeloo we could also go to the Planetron Cinedrome

And Lanen... it would only cost you air faire plus some expenses, but I would expect you would also stay with me for a few days... If taking a ship and going to newcastle to board it won't be a problem a north sea crossing would "only" cost somewhere around 110 euro/88 pounds (without car, for two persons). I could pick you up at IJmuiden (near Amsterdam, which would be the first stop )

Old Jul 12 2008, 07:11 AM   #32
Lanen
Kaelar of Kolmar

It all sounds fun, Hans. I can't really plan, though, as the next few weeks are insanely busy what with Steven going to Chile, my evil birthday party, guests from the US, and madly trying to finish the plotting of the next book! Can't really look farther forward than early August just now - help, help, amazing computer brain STUCK! *

*This is a quote from a terrible/great movie called The Return of Captain Invincible, in which Christopher Lee gets to sing and dance! One of my fave awful movies.
Old Jul 12 2008, 08:30 AM   #33
Nina
Talent

Finder

Hans,

It suddenly occurred to me that you are planning from the view of going by car to the meeting point. I think you took your car to Denmark, right?

I would always be planning to go by airplane. Driving a car for hours through europe just to get to a meeting point is out of the question for me. If need be then I could take the train, but I prefer to fly and then rent a car at the destination if I really need one. In this connection I would not rent a car with a view to the costs.

Too far from any major airport takes me out of the gather plans I am afraid.

Planning is not easy with all these individuals and special considerations, but this is exactly why it is extra important to reach common ground on expectations to travelling, accommodation, content and purpose of a gather.

Old Jul 12 2008, 11:59 AM   #34
Hans
Master Archivist

Lanen, I think we are (already) thinking 2009 here! (though I might be trying to intercept Kath a Dwingeloo later this year - I'd really like to mee her - and if my car is going that way anyway maybe I can pick up two hitchhikers from Leiden and Delft )

Nina, if we wuld really plan to have a meeting in e.g. The Netherland I'd be picking you up from Amsterdam Airport if necessary
But your idea was correct, if it's only a few hundred kilometers I won't take the airplane, especially not if I take Nef and Edith with me, with 3 or 4 in the car we would definitely be a lot cheaper than the airplane!

Old Jul 12 2008, 12:11 PM   #35
StevenB
Bitsmith/Starsmith,
Master Sneak

Fan of: Skies of Pern: what else?
Now Reading: My computer screen

Dwingeloo sounds good to me too. 2009 sounds even better - 2008 already full.
Old Jul 12 2008, 02:45 PM   #36
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Big Grin Re: An inquiring mind wants to know... a Euro gather anyone?

Hans that one way how to save fuel carpooling , along with help out others. Have fun!
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Jul 12 2008, 06:01 PM   #37
Shalyn
Inactive

Location: Loo-a-vull / Luhvuhl / Loo-ih-ville / Loo-a-ville / Looeyville / Lewisville Oh, Heck. Kentuckiana.

Fan of: Dragonflight

Y'all are making me drool.

My paternal grandmother was from Norway, and for some reason I've been feeling very "homeland-y" lately - I'd love to see the places that my forefathers (or, in this case mothers) were from.

As for my mom's side - that would be Austria-Hungary anyway, so any way you look at it, my deeper roots are in that area across the pond.

Looks like I have one year to get rich and famous, so I can come over.

Laurel's Galaxy

My eBay Page

Good Deals!
Shalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12 2008, 06:19 PM   #38
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Pronouns: She/her
Now Reading: Relentless Moon by MRKowal

You don't have to get famous, just rich!

I wish I could plan on coming but I think 2009 is too soon for a return to Europe, especially with this year's bazillion* vacations.

*bazillion = five: Florida, NY, Colorado, UK, NY again...
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13 2008, 01:42 PM   #39
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Han and all I ejoy reading your chater going back a forth. to set up a gather in Euro. I hope you all have fun, if there was a way to get to one these "gathers" USA or other place I would love to. Don't know about my other half, he is not a AM nut like I am but he like the unknown, sciene, space, and stars
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Jul 20 2008, 06:56 AM   #40
Bertrand
Inactive

Sorry for replying this late, I missed the thread.

Yes, I'm still in Germany for the foreseeable future and am quite interested in joining this gather. I know my way pretty well around Western Germany and Holland. Hans, if you still have room in your car, I'll stop by place. Otherwise, I can take the trains.
Bertrand is offline   Reply With Quote