A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café

The Library Café Come in, relax, and get to know the other members of this site. Share your hobbies and interests, along with general news of your life.

Old Jul 21 2022, 08:02 AM   #1321
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Fan of: No One Noticed The Cat
Default Re: What is Happening, part II

Goodness! I believe 70 mph is a category one hurricane! I would not want to fly in that. I have been in a bumpy plane but nothing I would compare to a roller coaster. Staying inside is probably a good idea.
Old Jul 21 2022, 08:16 AM   #1322
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Pronouns: She/her
Fan of: the Pern books

Bossy girl and my roommate said I wasn't where I was supposed to be yesterday. I was too! When I saw a car pull up, I'd go over and ask "are you lyft?" I'd get the same answer "no". I saw two Marta (local transportation company) mobility vehicles. The Lyft (I kept calling a company called Southeast Transit) I caught home told me "I went to the wrong entrance." But I kept telling the transit company, "I'll be at the main entrance." What other main entrances are there?!?
Old Jul 21 2022, 10:28 AM   #1323
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

This morning, I did something, I heard a "pop" noise. I think it was some part of my system. Decided to change my system, so it would not leak.
Old Jul 21 2022, 12:35 PM   #1324
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

I made brownies because I felt like it.
Old Jul 21 2022, 09:11 PM   #1325
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Pronouns: SheShe
Fan of: PShPern BB, Tia., and Oth
Now Reading: MHOP, Books Jerry Apps, Too Many to Post
Big Grin Re: What is Happening, part II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla View Post
I hope whatever you ordered arrives, Ginny and the wild goose chase turns out to be successful!

It is indeed hot here but we at least have air conditioning. I have friends in South Africa where it gets much hotter than here and for longer periods of time. They seem to have almost no A/C! The answer I get is they are "used" to the heat! I'm not sure it is something I ever want to get used to, especially the humidity!
for me, my computer stuff came a day early, new hub, with locking in the slots, and SD cards with cases, and a I hope to use a new SD Card Reader, after the goof of last weekend
4 for me, 1 for a friend, who is a fan of AMC, The Ship Who Sang, ones, I think she hasreally LOL AU Version, more adrabble, ormight be a set of them, for she has a khard to describe wit, and its kinda like a crossover with r. Dememto I am unsure of my spelling, on that , but the first time I heard her ttwist on it, and hher title , I LOL, ROLF, and hoped one day to share it with others who like AMC, she knew of PERN, but I showed heThe Ship that Sang, to her, in audio she asked how did I missed this, She is a bit older then I, but what a hoot, we friend, to act, like a stuffy shellperson, or like Beta , Tia supervisers, or
a few shellpersons, ps sorry for rambling here, but some stuff got stuck and only now is comming unstuck, 'less stress' more able to think. I hope to share sNature andNOVA and a few other bits, with her.

I also know someone who goes to South Africa too ddon't recall when, but thanks for the reminder, Keep cool Everyone,. can get into, 'not acting our age, 'just for fun' and driving a different
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21 2022, 09:42 PM   #1326
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

[QUOTE=BD1;214396]Bossy girl and my roommate said I wasn't where I was supposed to be yesterday. I was too! When I saw a car pull up, I'd go over and ask "are you lyft?" I'd get the same answer "no". I saw two Marta (local transportation company) mobility vehicles. The Lyft (I kept calling a company called Southeast Transit) I caught home told me "I went to the wrong entrance." But I kept telling the transit company, "I'll be at the main entrance." What other main entrances are there?!? :coMiscummunication soundlikes, maybe you can ask the check - in or or ask your RN, to help you with getting the right one, and maybe have someone else helpl you find your traride? I have had some one called over from the chec-in or welcome desk,a vollenteer, even once, the RN helped me with a wheelchair ride, down to get to my traride, for tthey had moved to a new section and we didn't know so while she when nt to get her truck, the RN wswas kkind to help me get to the right ddoor,. If anyone wants to helpto explain better my bad wording, be my guest , also I have had it happenl, when a bit of mis -understanding while waiting for my ride, about a wheelchair-llift van, looking for their fair, 'who they were lolooking for. Also you might not get the same one, but if you are drop ed of f the same sopt to be pick up then try and rember if its the main , or a different named department, or after someone , and then you can explain to folks at your apointment before it, that you well need aid in getting your ride back set, Just tell them you are having problems with telling them where to have yhuyou pick up and I would think a person who has special needs or other wise havinging probolems the staff can back up you., so you get the right one. PS I would have your name of the company you use and their phone number written down, and add on I need to know what entrance is the one I am using from the driver or from the staff as you check in. They should be able to help, I hope I have helped . I normely as ask as i am going in to check in. yyou may have to do it at the drr or lab check in. But if the place that you are being drop off is your pick-up, ask the check-in folks to see what the official name and have it written, so you can give it to yourri folks,
PS If its a Van with a Lift ask for a discription, or try and recall what it look like, or try and get a image discription, of the car or what its looking like. Image Discription over a phone is for all of us, for we hear with our ears, 'Sorry for this little pun, 'nowgetting off my soapbox now' But I do hope I have helpeed. With my own experences with this,.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Jul 21 2022, 10:55 PM   #1327
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

It's a company like uber, Lyft. Southeast Transit would call to a phone I have used in the past, but I did not have the phone with me. I need to see if mom will allow me my own phone. At one point, an agent with the transit company told me a Lyft was pulling up outside. I scurried out, no Lyft!!
Old Jul 22 2022, 06:37 AM   #1328
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

It sounds like Ginny had some good suggestions. I have never used Uber or Lyft but my understanding has been that when you arrange a ride they tell you the make, license plate number and name of driver that will pick you up. That way you aren't asking random people if they are Lyft and run the risk of someone who is a bad person saying "yes" and then there could be a dangerous situation. Having a phone you could use even for this sort of thing would be useful!
Old Jul 22 2022, 07:16 AM   #1329
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Would have to call back to find that out. Type of car and color, name of driver 2 or 3 times. Went outside, waited, no car! 1 agent said "it's pulling up outside." Dashed out, no car! They called contact number at home. Need phone for those days I use Lyft!
Old Jul 22 2022, 10:43 AM   #1330
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Checked out a new dentist office this morning. Will call for a cleaning appointment on Monday. Stopped in the thrift shop and got 2 tee shirts, one long and one short sleeve, both light purple. Home again for a cup of coffee.
Old Jul 22 2022, 12:27 PM   #1331
SpaceCowboy

Fan of: "The Ship Who Searched"

I use UBER three days a week to get to work since I can longer walk down to the bus stop due to my osteoarthritis getting really bad. You described how they let you know who is picking you up perfectly. On the other hand for me I know most of the drivers on Thursday, Friday, and Monday by name, face, and the car they drive. The passenger rates the drivers with a five star system and the driver rates the passenger the same way. Top rated drivers are given first choice of top rated riders. Someone like me who has a 4.97 rider rating will rarely be matched with a driver with less then 4.8 or 4.9 rating unless there are none on duty. When you first start using the service who you get is pure luck.

Quote:
It sounds like Ginny had some good suggestions. I have never used Uber or Lyft but my understanding has been that when you arrange a ride they tell you the make, license plate number and name of driver that will pick you up. That way you aren't asking random people if they are Lyft and run the risk of someone who is a bad person saying "yes" and then there could be a dangerous situation. Having a phone you could use even for this sort of thing would be useful!
SpaceCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22 2022, 06:36 PM   #1332
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

I thought I had that system correct in my mind. We have only ridden in one Uber vehicle, when we were in NYC for a concert with our son he arranged an Uber to pick the 3 of us up. They sent him the make, model car, color of car, license plate number and driver's name. I have read horror stories of people getting into what they thought might be their "ride" and ending up in serious trouble! I did not know about the "rating". I'm glad (but not surprised) that you have such a high rating and will get excellent service!
Old Jul 22 2022, 09:28 PM   #1333
SpaceCowboy

It pays to be polite and tip well but not overly high. Most of the drivers in my end of town appreciate the fact that I am waiting outside ready since mine is a relatively short ride (5 minutes 2 miles) If things go right with mine they can get three rides done in an hour.

Quote:
I thought I had that system correct in my mind. We have only ridden in one Uber vehicle, when we were in NYC for a concert with our son he arranged an Uber to pick the 3 of us up. They sent him the make, model car, color of car, license plate number and driver's name. I have read horror stories of people getting into what they thought might be their "ride" and ending up in serious trouble! I did not know about the "rating". I'm glad (but not surprised) that you have such a high rating and will get excellent service!
Old Jul 23 2022, 09:40 AM   #1334
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Gotta be offline for the day!
Old Jul 23 2022, 01:51 PM   #1335
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

I just finished another needlepoint coin purse. Black background. In the center is a unicorn head and mane. The horn is white. The head is ecru (off white). The mane is two shades of teal green, light and dark. I decided to leave the face blank rather than try and do eyes, etc. Now I will go back to work on the large Skellington cross stitch picture. I was good to take a break from it.
Old Jul 23 2022, 03:11 PM   #1336
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

An older woman I know is claiming a walker I had left in the house on the hill is hers, "I bought it, (stole it, more like!) you're not going to get it!" It was a walker my mom had bought me the last few days I was in the rehab facility! Where did the older lady buy it from?!? Nowhere!! I was going to let my roommate use it. Bossy girl told me to leave the woman alone! Dead wrong!!
Old Jul 23 2022, 03:25 PM   #1337
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

If mom saw that walker, she'd say it does NOT belong to the older woman! :nods: Also, plenty of people would atest that the walker does not belong to the older woman. They've seen me using that walker!

Last edited by BD1; Jul 23 2022 at 03:48 PM.
BD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23 2022, 03:49 PM   #1338
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

Quote:
Good to hear! Both the fun part and not drowning! I like going to the beach, more for walking along and sticking my feet in the water. I burn easily so lying out for hours is not for me. Did you get any burn or was lots of sunscreen used? Did you stay over or was it a day trip?
I swim in shirts & teeshirt, so I don't burn. Last time I wore a bathing suit that was all I couls wear for a week. It was an overnight trip. We stayed across the street from the beach.

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23 2022, 03:52 PM   #1339
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Right waiting for Kibby to get off.
Took Kibby & Seth (12 yr nephew) to a dino festival & Fairystone lake, yesterday.
Fairystone Lake is named that because it is one of the very few places you can find fairy stone. Rocks that naturally form a cross shape.

Old Jul 23 2022, 04:01 PM   #1340
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

The fairy stone legend
Long, long ago... as fairies played in a sunny glade, in Patric County Virginia, an elfin messager arrived, withe the sad new of Christ's crucifixion. The fairies cried, and as their tears fell to the Earth, they crystallized into little stone crosses. Though the fairies have seemed to have disappeared their remnants can still be found in that spot today.

Old Jul 23 2022, 05:22 PM   #1341
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

That's a cute story! Did you find any fairy stones?
Old Jul 24 2022, 01:28 PM   #1342
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Mawra, I have not had a bathing suit on in more than 20 years. I am not a good swimmer and most water always feels too cold to me. Year's ago at our old house we had a small above ground pool, mostly for the kids. I would occasionally go in and back out fairly quickly. If I want to get I take a good hot shower!
Old Jul 24 2022, 04:50 PM   #1343
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

My son was finally able to purchase a PS5. I have no idea but in the photo of him holding the box he looks VERY happy! Lol!
Old Jul 25 2022, 07:51 AM   #1344
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

So far, no leaks from my system! :does a happy dance:
Old Jul 25 2022, 10:28 AM   #1345
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

This morning I went to the garden/pet supply store. Cat food and 2 40 pound bags of black oil sunflower seed. A very nice fellow who works there came out to the car and took them from the cart into the trunk. I suppose at some point I may have to go down to 20 pound bags. I can still manage to get them in the house. I may be small but I am tough!
Old Jul 25 2022, 11:37 AM   #1346
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

My BMI index is 15.5. Anything under 18.5 is underweight.
Old Jul 25 2022, 02:22 PM   #1347
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Made an appointment for mid August for a dental cleaning at a new dentist. Looking forward to a good experience! Clean teeth, hoorah!
Old Jul 25 2022, 03:54 PM   #1348
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

I guess I HAVE to be the house monitor!! Have to make sure no one gets in their bed during the day! :sighs in exasperation: I was supposed to make sure a housemate doesn't go upstairs to his room, even though two other people coulda done that! Why do I have to do that?!? I'm NOT in charge!! I don't run things, but with bossy girl around, I should!
Old Jul 25 2022, 04:42 PM   #1349
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Thunder rumbles. Where is the rain to go with it?

My husband enjoys watching The Tour de France, partly for the cycling but also the beautiful scenery. I guess there has been a one day women's race for years. This year it will be 8 days and televised! About time! He'll watch that and then the race in Spain that begins the end of August.
Old Jul 25 2022, 04:47 PM   #1350
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Quote:
That's a cute story! Did you find any fairy stones?
We didn't have time to look. We cheated & bought a couple.

Old Jul 25 2022, 04:48 PM   #1351
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Trying to get out of Teemobile contract. We are getting no service at home. Can not call out, get phone calls, text or get online. Not much better in town.

Old Jul 25 2022, 05:37 PM   #1352
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

That service contract with T mobile sounds awful! Service = NO SERVICE! Just ridiculous! Did you just switch to them or have you been with them a long time and this is something new? I hope you get it resolved. We've had AT&T for our cell phones forever and have been lucky to have decent service.

I get the "cheating and buying a couple" fairy stones. I would have done the same thing.
Old Jul 25 2022, 11:34 PM   #1353
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
It's a company like uber, Lyft. Southeast Transit would call to a phone I have used in the past, but I did not have the phone with me. I need to see if mom will allow me my own phone. At one point, an agent with the transit company told me a Lyft was pulling up outside. I scurried out, no Lyft!!
Oh dear, sorry I haven't been on here, bad weekend for me between a bad mingrain and not sleeping well, last night first night got a good night, went shopping, , I also found a user on Ao3 that is a fan of Anne 's Pern, to do a bit of a tip of a hat, a crossover, it took me longer to read it. part of a group of stories, I haven't got all the codes yet, for Ao3 for hyperlinks, but I needed a good crossover and found it., sorry my mind is driffiting a bit.
Thought I shall get that posted beforee i lost it.
I hope you can get a phone, so you don't miss your rides. More Later
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Jul 26 2022, 07:45 AM   #1354
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Lock your cars and don't leave anything of value in them! I see so many news items about people leaving their cars unlocked, often with the keys in them! Then they complain when the car is stolen. Then there is the locked car full of valuables like wallets, handbags, laptops, etc. It only takes a moment to smash a window and all that stuff is gone! Sheesh!

Of course there is also the theft of catalytic converters. Our state now has a law not allowing scrap dealers to buy them. That does nothing as thieves still take them and just go to a neighboring state with no such law. Needs to be illegal to buy them in all 50 states!
Old Jul 26 2022, 08:47 AM   #1355
vyon

Fan of: Harper Hall

Meanwhile I spent most of this morning watching a policeman doing fingerprinting on a clubroom that I belong to. Raiders smashed a back window, scattered torn paper all over the place, cleaned out the donation box. They scored about $5.00 out of that, stole milk money and the librarian's petty cash, then kicked out both the internal and external doors. For all that effort, they got about $30.00, because our meetings are being held online until the Covid epidemic is over. The only people using the hall have been people checking on the dehumidifier in the library.
Before he left the Policeman advised us to put barriers of some kind on the hall windows, install cameras and signs saying we've got them to put off anybody who tries it again. We can't bar the window that was smashed because it's one of our fire escapes.
Fortunately they didn't do a lot of real damage except the broken window. It seems that double doors are relatively easy to kick out without damaging the lock too much.
Next job is cleaning up all the scattered paper and the sticky black stuff that was used to show up the fingerprints.
vyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26 2022, 09:54 AM   #1356
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Over here. A "minister" and his wife in New York City on Sunday were in the middle of doing a televised church service when 3 masked men came in and robbed the two of them of over a million dollars worth of jewelry. Seriously?! I'm sure the parish will rush right out to replace it for them. Or, maybe insurance will cover It? Sounds like some religion can be rather lucrative. I never had a million dollars of jewelry working in daycare with little kids!
Old Jul 26 2022, 12:50 PM   #1357
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Quote:
That service contract with T mobile sounds awful! Service = NO SERVICE! Just ridiculous! Did you just switch to them or have you been with them a long time and this is something new? I hope you get it resolved. We've had AT&T for our cell phones forever and have been lucky to have decent service.

I get the "cheating and buying a couple" fairy stones. I would have done the same thing.
The problems started when Sprint & Teemobile mergered. It has been getting worse since then. We have been told they are upgrading the tower. We no longer care how great the service will be. We need service now.

Old Jul 26 2022, 01:46 PM   #1358
SpaceCowboy

Exactly. I go up and spend time at my sister's house on Sylvan Lake in Rome City Indiana when I am on vacation and when I had Sprint the service was only 3G but it worked. I can't get T-Mobile to work up there at all. I had to get a cheap pay as you go phone from work to have as a phone while I am up there. They had to go with AT&T since Verizon doesn't work up there either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawra View Post
The problems started when Sprint & Teemobile mergered. It has been getting worse since then. We have been told they are upgrading the tower. We no longer care how great the service will be. We need service now.
Old Jul 26 2022, 09:21 PM   #1359
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Unhappy Re: What is Happening, part II

Quote:
Lock your cars and don't leave anything of value in them! I see so many news items about people leaving their cars unlocked, often with the keys in them! Then they complain when the car is stolen. Then there is the locked car full of valuables like wallets, handbags, laptops, etc. It only takes a moment to smash a window and all that stuff is gone! Sheesh!

Of course there is also the theft of catalytic converters. Our state now has a law not allowing scrap dealers to buy them. That does nothing as thieves still take them and just go to a neighboring state with no such law. Needs to be illegal to buy them in all 50 states!
Well they do help cars run, I know the feeling, I had my staff put my Victer Trek, over 900 dollars equipmentment, in a safe place, while we went shopping, the other day, Its more them a GPS its letting me read up on some stuff, so I can find things , later on I hope to have my audio collections on it, and more. I haven;'t got all transfered but was able to find a few things, able to bookmark some stuff so I can find it later. More later, tired, fingers get ting colled,
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Jul 26 2022, 09:33 PM   #1360
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Thumbs down Re: What is Happening, part II

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawra View Post
If this is happening around here, I might just say 'hold it' and just ask folks please hang up on your end for me, my ATT Apple Smart Phone can't hang up via its voice aid at this time, PS not a joke folks, !

How irking, ATT is the only one that well work down bye dad, and he has a flip phone for him andtrembers and smart phones don't work for him, tried it with friends and didn't work, he needs a relibilable phone for meds and contacting me, I tried it and I can't runn the flip one, as I spopen here before, I have a phone that I think I can run, but if it won't work, then I shall stay weith this dinggy smart phone.
PS Not quite like the bit from Ships books about rrehabe work. but you get the idea,
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons