A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café

The Library Café Come in, relax, and get to know the other members of this site. Share your hobbies and interests, along with general news of your life.

Old Jun 3 2022, 06:53 PM   #1001
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Pronouns: She/her
Fan of: the Pern books
Default Re: What is Happening, part II

A long time ago, my parents and younger brother once went drift fishing ( where the boat goes out to a certain distance from the shore and drifts with the tide). I had a good time! My mom and younger brother got sea sick, my dad and I did not!
Old Jun 3 2022, 07:39 PM   #1002
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Fan of: No One Noticed The Cat

We had a little rowboat when I was a kid. My mother and I very occasionally would go fishing just off shore. I rarely caught anything except sand sharks and eels. I know some people eat eels, we did not.
Old Jun 3 2022, 08:36 PM   #1003
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

I had caught a type of fish called a bonita. Mom told me it would take 3 days to clean the fish. I didn't want to do that so I gave it to the people who owned the boat, to use as bait! When you're fishing, you're supposed to reel fast, but my brother reeled slowly. What he reeled in, was half a fish!

Last edited by BD1; Jun 4 2022 at 09:38 AM.
BD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4 2022, 07:28 AM   #1004
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

An absolutely huge raven just landed on the pole outside the window that holds the bird feeder. Seeing the size of its beak I can imagine where the idea for Hitchcock's "The Birds" came from. That could do serious damage!
Old Jun 4 2022, 11:04 AM   #1005
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Going offline for the day! Back later!
Old Jun 4 2022, 11:37 AM   #1006
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Byeeee!

Our son and his girlfriend finally made it on a flight coming home from California. Going out to Arizona they got to Kennedy airport and were told their flight had been cancelled and "there was nothing they could do for them." So they had to pay extra for one way tickets and had at least two 4 hour layovers on the way. They have had a lovely holiday, though. Now, on the way home once again last night's flight got cancelled and they got put on another flight 12 hours later! Covid seems to be the excuse. My feeling is it could be the airlines have gotten caught by a resurgence in travel and they have not hired back enough of the staff they "furloughed".
Old Jun 4 2022, 12:29 PM   #1007
Allen

Fan of: The Pern Series
Now Reading: Robin Hobb's Shaman's Crossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla View Post
Byeeee!

Our son and his girlfriend finally made it on a flight coming home from California. Going out to Arizona they got to Kennedy airport and were told their flight had been cancelled and "there was nothing they could do for them." So they had to pay extra for one way tickets and had at least two 4 hour layovers on the way. They have had a lovely holiday, though. Now, on the way home once again last night's flight got cancelled and they got put on another flight 12 hours later! Covid seems to be the excuse. My feeling is it could be the airlines have gotten caught by a resurgence in travel and they have not hired back enough of the staff they "furloughed".
There's been a news story online since yesterday that American Airlines has been cancelling flights because they don't have enough pilots. Maybe this is something happening with other airlines as well.

But add this to the list of reasons I don't fly, I drive.
Old Jun 4 2022, 12:35 PM   #1008
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

This was Delta. Driving from Connecticut to California and back is possible (my family did it when I was about 9, in the summer, in a car with no air conditioning). However, they had a limited amount of vacation time and driving out and back was not reasonable.
Old Jun 4 2022, 02:59 PM   #1009
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

Haven't been much. Last weekend was not good. We lost the kitten my niece found and our 15 year old dog.
I did get some good new, I had a biopsy done on my breast, it was Benin.

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4 2022, 03:04 PM   #1010
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Your good news has to outweigh the sad. The kitten was very young and may have had health problems. 15 years is a pretty good age for a dog, isn't it? I know they will be missed but I am very glad about your medical news.
Old Jun 4 2022, 05:40 PM   #1011
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

I'm back home where the Wi-Fi is good! Was in a house without wifi. :shrugs: When I was in high school, my parents took the family dog (he was 13 years old) to the vet to be euthanized! When I got home from school, no dog. A year or so earlier, it was believed the dog suffered a stroke while no one was at home. He was a Dalmatian.
Old Jun 4 2022, 06:12 PM   #1012
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Brown Re: What is Happening, part II

Just now, a housemate said I could have some of his ice cream, but the bossy girl said "no"! It is NOT her ice cream! Had no right to say no! She wants me to "stay in my lane" but then she gets in my lane! I do not like that at all!!
Old Jun 4 2022, 06:27 PM   #1013
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

You are 58. She is in her 30's. Eat the ice cream!
Old Jun 4 2022, 06:41 PM   #1014
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Thumbs down Re: What is Happening, part II

If I had, she would have phoned my mom and told on me! She's that sort of person! When the ice cream truck comes by, she does NOT want any following her to get any ice cream! Like he comes by for only her!! 😠😡😡
Old Jun 4 2022, 07:20 PM   #1015
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

This makes absolutely no sense. Who cares if she "tells" someone. Is that the person you live with that you call "mom" or someone else. You are an adult and can eat ice cream if you want to. You seem to give her far too much control. Standing up to her would seem reasonable. Are you the only person she does this to and if not why is she allowed to get away with it?
Old Jun 4 2022, 07:45 PM   #1016
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

The bossy girl loves trying to get me in trouble! Recently, she told "mom" (not my biological mom) that I don't stay sitting down! I can't stay seated if the bossy girl keeps summoning me! Just because she's lazy! She complains when I do things, then complains when I don't do anything!! There's others in the house she bosses too! Last Sunday, she said me, her and two other people were going to play Spades! We are not supposed to play cards on a Sunday!
Old Jun 4 2022, 07:53 PM   #1017
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

If you all ignored it she'd have to stop. Doing what she wants gives her WHAT she wants. I do not understand any of this. You do not like it and complain about it yet still let her do it? Makes no sense. Does anyone ever tell her to cut it out?
Old Jun 5 2022, 08:12 AM   #1018
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

I'm looking forward to when I don't have to wear this CT drain bag anymore!
Old Jun 5 2022, 08:28 AM   #1019
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Does the bossy person tell you what to do about your health issues? They "seem" to know everything.
Old Jun 5 2022, 09:05 AM   #1020
vyon

Fan of: Harper Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen View Post
There's been a news story online since yesterday that American Airlines has been cancelling flights because they don't have enough pilots. Maybe this is something happening with other airlines as well.

But add this to the list of reasons I don't fly, I drive.
It's been happening all over the world. It's not just the lack of pilots. Every aircraft has to have a complete check before it comes out of storage - right down to every inch of wiring. Before he went to Sydney for the long weekend, my son was freaking me out talking about things like they found wasps nests inside the engines and chewed wiring somewhere. They chose Sydney over joining my other son in Dohar because Sydney is easier to get back from if flights are delayed for any reason - and there aren't connections to miss.
vyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5 2022, 09:34 AM   #1021
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Quote:
Does the bossy person tell you what to do about your health issues? They "seem" to know everything.
Thankfully, no. With my health issues, I make my own decisions! Like if or when I gotta to the hospital or a doctor appointment!:
Old Jun 5 2022, 09:45 AM   #1022
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

That's how it should be for everything. People can always make suggestions but everything should be up to you!
Old Jun 5 2022, 10:09 AM   #1023
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Back in 2004, my health issues started. Had a horribly twisted colon (could have died). 2014 had to have my appendix removed, last year had to have an illeostomy, (spent a week in a medically induced coma) spent awhile ICU. This year saw more health problems!
Old Jun 5 2022, 12:52 PM   #1024
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

A little while ago the bossy girl told me to carry a heavy puppy upstairs ( from the lower level) I was holding it just behind the front legs! I'm NOT supposed to lift anything weighing over 10 lbs! The puppy is well over the weight limit for me!! If anything happens to the heavy puppy and bossy girl blames me, I'll say that the girl told me to! Then the owner would fuss at her! She'll tell bossy girl that I'm not supposed to lift anything heavy! Lifting something heavy (like a heavy puppy) would aggravate my illeostomy!
Old Jun 5 2022, 01:53 PM   #1025
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

WHY would you do it then?! None of this makes any sense at all! You are not a servant. How about just saying NO and "do it yourself?"
Old Jun 5 2022, 01:58 PM   #1026
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

She would tell me "I'm cleaning up after the puppies. You need to help out." And "mom" has said there are no maids in the house. She's wrong, I'm the maid! Have to do more than I'm supposed to!
Old Jun 5 2022, 02:31 PM   #1027
Mausey

I have fished many times but never off a boat. When I was a kid any holidays we took had to include a place to fish. Usually we went for rainbow trout, pike, perch, and walleye. Mom loved fishing and she'd get them ready but she didn't like to eat them. So dad would get a little fire started and his heavy cast iron pan ready. Fresh fish cleaned and dipped in seasoned flour and fried fast in lots of butter, heaven. We eventually had a good dugout put in near the house and had it stocked with trout. Every fall we netted them all out and dad smoked them. Those little suckers were like salty candy, even our fish hating mom would eat those.
Old Jun 5 2022, 02:47 PM   #1028
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

It sounds like your mom was like me and my clam digging on the mud flats off our old beach. My dad taught me how to rake for them, to be able to tell if the rake was scraping over a clam or just a shell. I was good at it, I have to say. I would go out in November or December when it would be COLD and usually there would be 3 or 4 or more men out there trying to clam. I would have a full basket to their 3 or 4 clams and I had to laugh because they would follow me around and try to rake in areas near where I had been. It was a learned activity. I enjoyed digging them up but I left the cooking and eating to my parents, who loved them! Then big companies came in and seeded the waters further out and signs appeared "no more" individual clamming. Progress.

Last edited by Priscilla; Jun 5 2022 at 04:59 PM.
Priscilla is nu online   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5 2022, 05:21 PM   #1029
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Before my teenage years, every summer, I'd go to a camp for people with disabilities. It was called Camp Easterseal. I went fishing in a stream near the lake and one day, I caught 5 fish (they were minnow size) in one day! A camp counselor was my witness to me catching the 5 fish! He vouched for me! One time, during the times I'd go to camp, a photographer from the Atlanta Journal Constitution (local newspaper), took a picture of me on my bunk!
Old Jun 5 2022, 08:02 PM   #1030
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Bossy girl claims I do nothing in the house to help out. If "mom" had a camera recording things in the house, she'd see and hear the girl summoning me alot, me doing things like cleaning poop and pee, doing the dishes, etc. And I don't do anything??? : confused: Come again??!? Sometimes I run around like a chicken with its head cut off!
Old Jun 5 2022, 08:45 PM   #1031
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Our next door neighbors currently have a rented coop and 3 "rental chickens!" Strange idea. Even if they get some eggs from them I can't see that off-setting the rental costs. It is funny to see them work their way through the 20 or so feet of wooded area between our yards, down the hill each day to check out the ground below our bird feeders, then back up the hill to their yard.
Old Jun 5 2022, 09:44 PM   #1032
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

I think my two months in the hospital might have been a vacation from constant summonings!
Old Jun 6 2022, 07:19 PM   #1033
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Late afternoon I had the garage door open and one of the chickens got in. It refused to get out so I had to chase it out with a snow shovel. No chicken was harmed!
Old Jun 6 2022, 07:38 PM   #1034
R'zil

Pronouns: He/him
Fan of: Pern and Talent Series

Quote:
Our next door neighbors currently have a rented coop and 3 "rental chickens!" Strange idea. Even if they get some eggs from them I can't see that off-setting the rental costs. It is funny to see them work their way through the 20 or so feet of wooded area between our yards, down the hill each day to check out the ground below our bird feeders, then back up the hill to their yard.
I've heard they are also good at getting rid of ticks. Could that be why your neighbors got them?
R'zil is nu online   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6 2022, 07:57 PM   #1035
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

I am not sure, since they also have their lawn treated for ticks. The company that does this puts up little notices about "not walking on the lawn for 24 hours or letting pets out". The notices used to include what exactly was IN the treatment but I now see they have stopped including that.

I have read that chickens will eat ticks. They only have 3 chickens and an acre of yard. I had a thought. Depending on what sort of chemical they are putting on the lawn and with the chickens eating bugs off that lawn I would not eat any of those eggs!
Old Jun 6 2022, 11:01 PM   #1036
R'zil

Quote:
I am not sure, since they also have their lawn treated for ticks. The company that does this puts up little notices about "not walking on the lawn for 24 hours or letting pets out". The notices used to include what exactly was IN the treatment but I now see they have stopped including that.

I have read that chickens will eat ticks. They only have 3 chickens and an acre of yard. I had a thought. Depending on what sort of chemical they are putting on the lawn and with the chickens eating bugs off that lawn I would not eat any of those eggs!
If they are using pesticides on their lawn I'm surprised they were able to "re
nt" chickens. Maybe they didn't tell the people they rented them from?
Old Jun 7 2022, 06:18 AM   #1037
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Not telling the chicken rental company would not surprise me.
Old Jun 7 2022, 10:11 AM   #1038
Allen

Fan of: The Pern Series
Now Reading: Robin Hobb's Shaman's Crossing

Yes, chickens eat ticks, I've watched baby chicks go nuts over them. I've seen chickens kill mice and rats and try to get bites or pecks of meat off the carcasses. Funniest thing is to see one chicken of a flock find one of the small snakes that only grow to an adult size of about 6 inches. I saw a chicken catch one and was trying to keep it, running from the rest of the bunch that wanted it with the tail end sticking out of its beak! Funniest thing I had seen at that time.

I've seen chickens peck at the carcass of another dead chicken. If one of a flock gets injured or sick, the flock will kill it and eat it.

Basically, a chicken will eat anything that doesn't eat it first, I think.
Old Jun 7 2022, 10:20 AM   #1039
R'zil

I'd heard they eat small snakes before but not about the cannibalism.
Old Jun 7 2022, 04:23 PM   #1040
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

"You're not supposed to lift anything. You'll aggravate that thing on your stomach and end up in the hospital again." Then I hear "fill the mop bucket and bring the mop and the bucket to me." A bucket with water in it is heavy!