A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café

The Library Café Come in, relax, and get to know the other members of this site. Share your hobbies and interests, along with general news of your life.

Old Jun 15 2021, 02:15 PM   #1
dfmurphy

Pronouns: He/him
Fan of: Dragonflight
Default Trip to Ireland

I'm considering a trip to Ireland this fall ... any suggestions on "must see" sites (as in real life places that inspired Pern locations)?

Wouldn't it be grand if AM's (aka Dragonhold-Underhill) home in Wicklow was a tour-able? Or a BNB?
dfmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29 2021, 02:07 PM   #2
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Pronouns: She/her
Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Relentless Moon by MRKowal
Default Re: Trip to Ireland

A couple decades ago I got to go to Ireland along with Hans and Anneli from this forum (we've been Pern friends for longer than that), and meet Anne, see Dragonhold, and tour some local sites that were Pernish.

I'm going to poke Hans to see if he will come reply, as I don't remember at all the site names or how to get there. He's been back to Ireland since and likely recalls better. He also knows where Anne's grave is, which should be on you visit list. Unfortunately I think Dragonhold was sold outside the family, and thus is not visitable.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30 2021, 03:00 AM   #3
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

Hi dfmurphy,

Are you an old regular who registered anew? I seem to remember "a murphy"?

Anyway, Cheryl already mentioned Anne's grave. This you will find near Greystones (yes, it is a placename used in the Pern series for a fishing village) in Kilquade Cemetary on Kilquade Road.

You might want to drive by her erstwhile home Dragonhold-Underhill and Dragonold Srtables, but I am not sure the current owners might appreciate that. I suppose it doesn't have any visible connection with Anne and her family anymore, just sentimental value (well, it has for me since I stayed and visited there several times) It's quite hard to find bit it is on Timore Lane in Newcastle, County Wicklow.

Apart from that there's aren't really many Pern associations. I loved photograhing the station sign of Shankill (which appears as the famous nmoonbase in the Crystal Singer books) and for what it's worth Anne herself showed us the view from Sally Gap on Loch Tay which she said is what Todd and she thought looked like a Weyr.

I advise you to drive around the beautiful Wicklow mountains and visit Powers Court (a favourite of Anne). I also like the coastal area and loved taking the DART train from Dublin to it's end station. DART stand for Dublin Area Rapid Transport :-)

And then there's Dublin of course. Not especially McCaffrey related but an absolutely wonderful city. And when traveling around the country... man, there are just too much sites yuu should go to and visit... But if you stay in or arund Dublin/Wicklow a visit to Glendalough is a must!

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14 2021, 09:21 AM   #4
dfmurphy

Pronouns: He/him
Fan of: Dragonflight

Thank you for the wonderful answer! I really appreciate the insights. Lough Tay was already on my list, but it's definitely moved up a few notches. Thank you again!

BTW, I am new and unrelated to a previous user.
dfmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote