A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café

The Library Café Come in, relax, and get to know the other members of this site. Share your hobbies and interests, along with general news of your life.

Old Aug 13 2021, 07:07 PM   #41
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Pronouns: SheShe
Fan of: PShPern BB, Tia., and Oth
Now Reading: MHOP, Books Jerry Apps, Too Many to Post
Default Re: What is Happening, part II

Well good to hear, Mawa sp Happy Birthday, I am still working on trying to understand how to get around here, and found a new way to get to the table to her,, to here,, now that I well keep you posted, found new corads for charginingmy twBook Port Plus, but still need to get a new on or with its llinks to my other and White-fi sp on thast. But, I do enjoy reading about the Pocket Dragons at AOo3 Even if I don't quite know what they all look like any more, right now I need to check on the weather, and see what is going so I shall be bnack, if my new list works I might have flund a better way to get around, so if you see pop in and out, its justI testing outa new way to moave around hrehere without my mouse, I think I recall my teacher before he retied used someitn like this but I am unsure, , its been a long time ago.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13 2021, 07:12 PM   #42
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Pronouns: She/her
Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Relentless Moon by MRKowal

Somewhere I have a couple of pocket dragons still boxed, bought to be prizes for PernQuest that either never joined the prize pool or were never selected. I have a few other leftover prizes, and keep thinking someday I just need to see if some of our members want them for the price of postage...
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13 2021, 08:10 PM   #43
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Fan of: No One Noticed The Cat

I bought a couple of Pocket Dragons from Allen quite a few years ago, also some of his lovely handmade bracelets.

If you find that you do have pocket dragons; Cheryl, I would happily send you postage for one and perhaps "trade" a cross stitched Christmas ornament?
Priscilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15 2021, 04:16 AM   #44
Allen

Fan of: The Pern Series
Now Reading: Robin Hobb's Shaman's Crossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla View Post
I bought a couple of Pocket Dragons from Allen quite a few years ago, also some of his lovely handmade bracelets.

If you find that you do have pocket dragons; Cheryl, I would happily send you postage for one and perhaps "trade" a cross stitched Christmas ornament?
I still have a bunch I'd sell, too...
Old Aug 15 2021, 07:21 AM   #45
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Allen, I would probably be interested. I have room for a couple more. I'm not sure if I still have your address. Can you PM address, which Pocket Dragons you'd like to sell and prices? Thanks!
Old Aug 15 2021, 02:43 PM   #46
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Relentless Moon by MRKowal

Quote:
That sounds like a great trade! I'll PM you so we can work out details!
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15 2021, 03:32 PM   #47
Allen

Fan of: The Pern Series
Now Reading: Robin Hobb's Shaman's Crossing

Quote:
Allen, I would probably be interested. I have room for a couple more. I'm not sure if I still have your address. Can you PM address, which Pocket Dragons you'd like to sell and prices? Thanks!
I have so many it would be a long, drawn out task to list them, suffice to say that I'm at a point where I'd sell almost any of them. When you bought yours I think I had bought a big lot on ebay and was selling off duplicates. I still have some (a few anyway) of those left, plus quite a few of my original collection.

So the easiest thing I could do would be to photograph my displays, post those photos, and see if I can find the old list I made of those other pieces. Almost all have their boxes, and those and the duplicates are really tucked away in the loft of my shed. If you have anything you've seen on ebay, let me know and I can check to see If I have it, want to sell it, and so on. I'll PM you my address when you want, and anyone else can get a look at things, too. I'm in no hurry, and I don't think anyone else is either. So let me know what you think of my idea.
Old Aug 15 2021, 03:39 PM   #48
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Your idea sounds fine to me. If I could see pictures I could choose ones I don't already have. As you say, no rush about this, take your time! I'm thinking my kids could "give" me a couple for Christmas. They're always asking what I want.
Old Aug 16 2021, 04:33 AM   #49
Hans
Master Archivist

Quote:
I love Pocket Dragons, I also have a couple. That was so thoughtful of your sister and Libby. Happy Early Birthday!
I KNOW! you sent me one many years ago. It's not on top of my computer monitor anymore (falls off because the iMac is too thin) but I do stil have it!

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16 2021, 08:54 AM   #50
vyon

Fan of: Harper Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
I KNOW! you sent me one many years ago. It's not on top of my computer monitor anymore (falls off because the iMac is too thin) but I do stil have it!
There's nowhere for the cat to sit on top of the TV either!
vyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16 2021, 05:58 PM   #51
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

So I did something not real smart. I went to the beach & played in the waves. My shoulder is telling me that was stupid. It was fun, but killed my bad shoulder.

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16 2021, 06:22 PM   #52
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Well as I said, learning how to run things with my ears, and not my eyes, I am going two steps foward and a step and ahalf of it back, at times, I might be able to get some hep with traning so I can move easier with my screen reader, beyound what I had early on, I had to drop out and answer a call,, so When I get more time I shall have to see if I can get that background on what I was talking about image discription, and audio discription,, Most of my problems. come from a few different places, I sometime wish I ewas a shellperson at times, more like Tia but a little like Carrlle sp from the Ship that Won the two that Jody Lyn Nyee wrote with Anne McCaffrey. But my feeling and feedback is all lover that group of books, for I am feeling like I am getting , gaps in my memorly like the book with N. Ball not burnt, just cold and stiff. :sship: I hope folks can understand me, here, been reading something enon AMc anand its kina effecting more then I thought it would.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Aug 16 2021, 07:00 PM   #53
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

The worst & embarrassing part of beach trip, when I was coming in I got knock on my rear end, & could not get back up. Every time I tried I'd end up getting rolled over. Kibby, after laughing at me, decided I was realky having problems came over to help. Still couldn't get up. Finally 2 guys decided I was in trouble & help me up.

Old Aug 16 2021, 10:30 PM   #54
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

First my mind is kinda jumbled up, so hope this time this well post,:

TToday was my staff Matt birthday, he is big into boqboard gamesand card games, like Dungeons and Dragons, he me the gradson of the creater of the game at a small com,. here in Wisconsin, and I used tthat to tell him about Todd and the Dragonrider of Pern game, I helped fiend out some stuff in audio for himwhere to luck, he has a store that he runs, along with a few other things he does, but, I shall miss him, if I am repeating myself sorry,

He has helped me with some of my posted here, so has my other staff too, but mostly I have on my own, I am working getting more help but not til next mont, so I might be hereor maybe some else I don't think I got a time to Jim U. about this site or Jeff for that matter, but I might just drop in and have look to whatin the 'Dickens' is going on. Note I wwish that I could speak and post as fast as my mind is showing stuff, like Amc Tallents can do,, but I am doing the best I can. Ginny. I have told folks ab out this even iif I have to Pern.nl to find the link, so please make sure @ all that folks can find for I
have a Meeting of a Mind to here and while I can say I can';5t spell it very wel. note I used your Hans to explan how I stumble my way to here. I . Sorry if I keep repeading that but Its the oonly way to make it stick in long-term storage in my memory.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Aug 17 2021, 02:44 PM   #55
Mausey

Finally Rain!!!! glorious rain. We've been very hot and very dry so an all night and morning slow rain is such a relief. I'm really hoping that British Columbia gets this as well as almost the entire province is a tinderbox. Drought, pine beetles and not letting some small fires burn to clear underbrush has made a very dangerous mix and thousands are under evacuation orders. I know letting some fires go is very controversial but forests and prairie need to burn or instead of small containable fires you get massive ones. I know a burn looks bad but a few years in, they can be stunning to look at with all the new growth. Animals come back and instead of a place that's quiet it's full of life again. My
Old Aug 17 2021, 03:35 PM   #56
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

We feel for you, TheCORiver is at its lowest its been here from the news, I fell for all you out west, I have kinin AZ, and they depend on the rainfall for their water, he is off the gride,. I many not be able to see but when I could I recall what many on my local PPBS station, Frontline was on and This Old House was a a different once, tand news from PBBS Newshour too. There is a few more but I am not at full power, had a few of my trember attacts, the one that my mind triggers that look like I am have a seizure but I am not, from all the mental stress I am under, I am a tad clammer now, but very tired,, my mind feel likes that I am only running at half power, like aBRAINSHIP, OR A CURZER, NOT QUITE A ecc LSHIP LIKE aarct-10,, BUT i HOPE YOU GET THE IDEA.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Aug 17 2021, 03:53 PM   #57
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Tell Matt happy birthday for me, Ginny.
Rain is good, Mousey. We could use some.

Old Aug 17 2021, 04:32 PM   #58
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

I shall tell him Mawa, I shall miss him,, we were talking about he might back during the breaks so I hope so, he know someone who plays a game that you don't need sight to play so I hope to get move informaton on it, it a game that I haden't hear of, I shall keep you folks

posted.

I am still am working on stuff, just taking me longer to do do it, sometime, I whish I could transcrible what I can see for sometime I feel like I am in the bottom of a wyer, Hold, Hall, or even the underder thesea, a few time, and its goest to fast for me to explane to othres
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Aug 19 2021, 04:27 PM   #59
Mausey

Weather here is nothing if not changeable. Not that long ago we were in the mid to high 30's (high 80's to low 90's.) One day we were 101F, yesterday and today we're at15c (59f). Keeps life interesting. At least with the cool I can get into my garden and prune the tomatoes back, they are more like a hedge than a garden. Chopping it back I also found 4 melons and not the 1 I thought I had.
Old Aug 19 2021, 10:49 PM   #60
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

I can't wait for fall, much cooler weather.

I found out I don't have a router cuff tear in my shoulder. I have a calisum deposit & other stuff going on. I'm getting an ultra sound guided shot I'm my shoulder joint tomorrow. Sounds like fun, not.

Old Aug 20 2021, 09:39 PM   #61
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Hurricane Henri is coming. We got the bread, milk, bottled water and batteries. We have a gas powered generator that Jeff puts on the driveway. It can handle a couple lights, a small radio and the coffee maker or microwave. We're about 10 miles inland, we'll be fine.

I hope that makes your shoulder feel a whole lot better, mawra!
Old Aug 21 2021, 08:44 AM   #62
vyon

Fan of: Harper Hall

Meanwhile the Sydney Delta Covid outbreak has "jumped the ditch" (crossed the Tasman Sea) and we're in Level 4 lockdown. That means only Supermarkets, Chemists, Dairies and Service Stations are open and everyone has to stay home in their bubble except essential workers. (Sydney's own lockdown is only what we would call 2.1) There's virtually no traffic on the usually very busy road outside my flat. Frankly, I don't miss endless trains of heavy trucks full of demolition materials. Just to make things more interesting, the main sump from my block of flats is blocked and overflowing - again! I hope plumbers are essential workers!
vyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21 2021, 08:07 PM   #63
Rider of Panth

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: Dragonsdawn
Green Re: What is Happening, part II

Vyon, you are in good hands with PM Jacinda Arden : your country's leader is well respected around the world. Premiere Anna is looking after Queensland so well, we are very lucky. Australia was in an enviable position a few weeks ago, but Delta Covid has snared NSW and the numbers are creeping up. We are hoping it doesn't cross the border but I fear it's only time. Once the vaccination rates increase, I dare say the states will relax restrictions and we will have to live with the knowledge that covid is in the country. And I'm sure your plumber will make your life more comfortable very soon! Stay safe in the lockdown. Short term pain for long term gain.
Rider of Panth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21 2021, 10:58 PM   #64
Mausey

The Delta variant is causing trouble all over. Our cases are rising but for the most part the people in hospital are people who haven't had the vaccination. People who had the jab might get it but aren't getting very ill.

I'm taking advantage of cooler weather and got 18 pints of salsa canned today. Yesterday was 14 small jars of apple sauce. I may get out some of the raspberries I froze earlier and make some jam tomorrow.
Old Aug 21 2021, 11:26 PM   #65
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

And half our governors want to ban mask mandates 7n schools.

Yesterday's procedure was about as fun as I though it would be. The put shots in the Calcium deposits then a cortzone shot. They did numb it first. It will be worth it, if it means I can move it normally again.

Stay safe everyone.

Old Aug 23 2021, 05:00 PM   #66
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Ouch, I had something like done before I join here problems was found on my eye lens., the one that I can't see at all now, they Tre moved it, and it didn't work. l, they tried while I was awake,, tey should tried while I was more aseep,, I would have rather been stay overnight to let the what put you to sleep out of my system., then what haappen..

I ended up having to replace my new head/mic. set with a new, my second pick, for it broken after ttrurn in for the exchange, but my new set of checks didn't work, they have working other other places, my staff had to fight on my behapft, to get this new one, iwwriteless, so I hope it well work better, and I didn't to read Gigi McCaffrey Book, not quite the way I wanted to llisten to it, but it work OK. I need to go back over it, onc3e I get a different player/recorder for my pen and paper, but the Echo.dot is working so far, hebeemn listen to a few things, I am going to work on the backlong of podcasts tthat I can;t listen to help me understand my text to speach softwear better.

Phone wise dad and I both at different times wwant to toss our phoines away,, for they are very sticky for bvoice saying something bnut not doing what we want. He maybe able to see much better, but its bugging him andI, Sorry for rrambling, here, its been a busy weekend for I, a lot of memories,, from songs, too much imput, not a lot of out put this weekend.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Aug 24 2021, 12:08 PM   #67
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

My shoulder is much better, maybe the shot was worth it.

Covid cases are up in my area. Having the largest, private Christian university (Libery University) in the country near me is not helping. No vaccine, no testing and no mask requirements. Yeah, I feel safe.

Old Aug 24 2021, 12:27 PM   #68
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

I'm glad your shoulder is better.

Unfortunately there are many people duped into not trusting science related to vaccines and masks. They prefer to trust strangers on social media who may not have their best interests at heart. We have all had our vaccines and wear masks when around others (in stores). I have noticed an increase in people wearing masks since this Delta variant came about.

I hope you've been vaccinated and will stay safe!
Old Aug 24 2021, 07:35 PM   #69
R'zil

Pronouns: He/him
Fan of: Pern and Talent Series

I've been vaccinated but it's back to wearing a mask at stores for me. We spent almost all of June with almost no new cases and I was beginning to think we were going to be ok but the last week numbers have skyrocketed and today we had an all time record high number of new cases today here is southeastern IL.

Last edited by R'zil; Aug 26 2021 at 07:45 PM.
R'zil is nu online   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24 2021, 08:42 PM   #70
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

}QUOTE]Note, I have a very busy day in real life, and my mind is jumbling thinks together, so I am very sorry thaqt I am rambling a bit, I also thank you for the reminder with Goodread for I well have to see if I can change thaqwt code too. I shall have to put on my wants list when I get my help, partly I am not thinking so slowly at the moment.

Crossed-pposted from a different thread }/QOUTE]
I still am telling the coding for BLOCK QBLOCK the brakets for it, for some reason my text to speach isten given me time to tell which so I used my typing to set the aabove up, I still need to adjust my program so I can some what hear my mistakes some times
"if it could scratch its head" moments LOL for ssometimes my spelling is only a few letters off, and its comming up with other words not what I am looking for.

Right now I am feeling a tad better, but still its going to take me time to understand how to run tthis program. Found out why one key wasn't working had to pop in back in place, so I hope now its working now. Or I am going to get mad at it, I dididn't know I drop it out its place till I found on my floor, so I had to stop aand fix it. I am very ruff on them, for I can't keep them or it, on the shelf for it, for the slider is broken on one site, or jamded, a long time, its second hand, desk,, and has seen a lot of use, right now I have have it stiting in my lap, on a binder, which is working, its very old, one those that is zippble and has pockets for it, w wish I had one like that in Tech collage for it would have been nice for me to use,, I thbink i I bet I am giving the Spell checker a

My famioly member, and its, fits good, my problem is I need to add a another sheet of matting forlining and gripping shelffts to it, for it would help, like I did the some what for a braillewritter so I ccould barrile, which I don't use that skill as much but I do have others that want to use to help oothers, sorry my mind is all over today, momeries, and songs are running and much more too.

Keep safe everyone
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Aug 25 2021, 10:33 PM   #71
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Trying to keep my cool, with this muggy weather, I hope all of you folks are safe, I am getting a tad frustrated, for I am going to lI am going to lose a staff for the school year, and at times, I have shared Anne worlds with him, and he help med too. I might have during breaks which is nice.

He and I and others had a stressful few day, Meetings for more help, and my wanting to writted, has stilled or I am unable to frome the words, at the time of my tonge, like right now, I have has a few that would feet a few of Anne Worlds, and my own Idea too, but I can't find the right word, to write it, I might have a bit for to post later, once I am not so frazzled, I see a few things that might work right noew so I sdhall updated later.

till I get the tech help I need who in state but is right now out of my reach or hands.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Aug 26 2021, 07:45 AM   #72
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Happy Birthday, mawra! I hope it's a good day with far less shoulder pain. Cake and presents?!
Old Aug 26 2021, 05:11 PM   #73
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Dang hit the wrong key strokes once more, my mind feels like a pod with a lot of seeds rolling around it a very dry one.

IDon't know what is going around, but that dry pod had seeds of knowledge that won't post well.

Thinking of a half-recalled from a different books with Dragons in it Dragon Jousters, Book Two, LOL

Haven't reade it a bit, but its also a reminder about a song, thqat I need to track down, I've got money just on tbhe link back or time, to show where I found it. I hope folks don';t mind that I am leaving mydself a note here, good song, and a ideas for a story, more a slice of life, that won't leave me a lone.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Aug 27 2021, 10:26 AM   #74
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: PiF

Mawra, I hope you had a great birthday!

We've had a windy and rainy week, but luckily they're forecasting a bit of sun for the weekend. Don't get me wrong, we definitely needed the rain after a long, hot summer, but it feels like we've had enough for a while now. June and July were cumulatively the hottest on record. So far, August's been the wettest on record, and records go back nearly 150 years here.
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28 2021, 02:33 AM   #75
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Liberty University has been on campus a little over week, had 3 days of classes & is now under quaitene. At least 159 cases. And they are still hold outside events. From the traffic coming out of LU this afternoon, I would say the quaitene is more a suggestion.
No other college or universities in the area are having a problem. They all have required vaccines, negative test results & masks.

Old Aug 28 2021, 02:37 AM   #76
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

I had a nice birthday. Got an ice cream cake. Hubby has ordered a gorgeous dragon egg, my oldest sister gave a cute metal dragon with a bow on its tail. Both sisters and I went to dinner this evening.

If anyone needs a good home for a pocket dragon, I would love him, and hug him and call him George.

Old Aug 28 2021, 10:56 AM   #77
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Pronouns: He/him
Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

Quote:
Liberty University has been on campus a little over week, had 3 days of classes & is now under quaitene. At least 159 cases. And they are still hold outside events. From the traffic coming out of LU this afternoon, I would say the quaitene is more a suggestion.
No other college or universities in the area are having a problem. They all have required vaccines, negative test results & masks.
Sounds like a revamp of the old Liberty or Death speech only with Liberty AND Death.

University of Birmingham, with over 30,000 students got through last year with around a hundred students quarantining and no hospitalisations.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28 2021, 04:15 PM   #78
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Liberty complained about mandates last year & did the least they could get by with. Classes were on line, but professors had to do leason from class rooms, had to have in person office hours. Students were encouraged to return from spring break ect.... as a result they had outbreaks all year. This year, no mandates are required from the state, so they had none. Last I heard there were 79 cases in the hospital. Not all are Liberty students, but they are out and about, spreading it everywhere.

Old Aug 28 2021, 04:18 PM   #79
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Just curious....are other countries being told, by non-medical people to take livestock deworming meds for Covid?

Old Aug 28 2021, 04:21 PM   #80
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by P'ter View Post
Sounds like a revamp of the old Liberty or Death speech only with Liberty AND Death.

University of Birmingham, with over 30,000 students got through last year with around a hundred students quarantining and no hospitalisations.
sOUNDS BASounds bad, thdelta version is keeping things lock down, staying put in the south part of the USA for on the same day a different hurricane is hhitting clccolster to the Alabama line, Catagory 4 they are thinking, I hope all are safe in that area, I I am just a tad woried for all down that way, I am just having a hard time expressing my words right now. Didn't go to my blind outreach meeting, today, but I did talk to one of our members, thebetween last night storms a busy week and every thing I needed some time to 'center' myself. I d I need some time to do some searching fto find out some information on a charging stand, needed to check a number forgot to tell them to call me for I don't do text messages very well, even my staff are having a problems with this new cell flip phone,, might get a pad later, to help out, but right now to test to see if the voice command well work as well as my Echo is somewhat working., I shall keep you folks posted.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons