A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café

The Library Café Come in, relax, and get to know the other members of this site. Share your hobbies and interests, along with general news of your life.

Old Aug 6 2021, 02:35 PM   #1
TheRedVelveteer
Lurker/Ghost

Pronouns: She/her
Fan of: The Masterharper of Pern
Now Reading: Dragonsblood
Default Hello everyone!

Hi
As a very young Dragonriders fan I was pleasantly surprised to find out that the fanbase is still around. Part of me was worried that by the time I was enjoying the books, everyone who liked them would have moved on.

Most of the books I've read have been my mother's - ebooks or hardback/paperback copies from when she was younger - but the Open Library has been inimitably helpful in starting to read the rest. Modern social media make very little collective reference to the series, so I figured that to interact with its existing fans I should go straight to the source. Lovely to meet you all, and also I thought it was nice that there was a pronouns field? Didn't expect that facility so it's very cool 👍

Also please forgive me if I'm not quite as eloquent as some of you I am probably much younger and much more comfortable with evolving current chatspeak and it's been about half a decade since I used a forum board regularly 😅
TheRedVelveteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9 2021, 07:19 PM   #2
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Relentless Moon by MRKowal
Default Re: Hello everyone!

Hi RedVelveteer, welcome to MoM!

The fanbase is much smaller than it used to me, and this forum much quieter (though we're having a minor resurgence right now). There's a group on FB but it seems less conducive to discussion because of how FB is (not) organized.

No need to be eloquent or worry about it! Most of us try to be mindful that members have widely varying backgrounds and abilities. Playing grammar police to people who may be neurodivergent, have learning disabilities, be non-native English speakers, or etc. is just rude and unnecessary.

I personally don't use acronyms too much here, because space isn't it a premium and typing things out can make meaning more clear, but that is totally just a personal quirk and you should feel free to use whatever chatspeak you want - and if people can't figure it out they can ask! Some of us may be old but we created the internet and might know more than you think.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9 2021, 11:06 PM   #3
Rider of Panth

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: Dragonsdawn
Green Re: Hello everyone!

Hi RedVelveteer!
The knowledge and passion of this group is warming. The longevity of membership of some is awesome!
Check out Cheryl's website Sariel's guide to Pern. Check out The Pern Museum and Archives before the website closes (a nod to Hans the Master Archivist Elrhan). Such members and more such as P'ter have years of experience in the Pern realm. And do great honour to Anne McCaffery's planet. To those I have not mentioned, I certainly wish no offence. The 20 or so that have continued in this website and has kept it alive : thank you!
It is great to hear of your collections, your meetings and discussions with Anne, being there at DragonCon and so on.
Have a look around the site RedVelveteer, and dive into earlier discussion threads. It's fun and can give a greater depth to the stories. I certainly understand your concern about eloquence. These cookies are smart!
Have a mug of klah and enjoy!
Rider of Panth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10 2021, 06:34 AM   #4
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

Welcome Red Velveteer!

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10 2021, 10:43 AM   #5
Allen

Fan of: The Pern Series
Now Reading: Robin Hobb's Shaman's Crossing

Welcome! It's always good to see a young person who appreciates the same things we oldtimers do.
Old Aug 10 2021, 03:37 PM   #6
Mausey

*waves* Hello, it's always nice to have new Pern fans. I hope you enjoy the forum.
Old Aug 11 2021, 09:22 AM   #7
vyon

Fan of: Harper Hall

Hi from Southern. Always glad to meet new members and welcome back older ones.
vyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11 2021, 04:37 PM   #8
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Pronouns: SheShe
Fan of: PShPern BB, Tia., and Oth
Now Reading: MHOP, Books Jerry Apps, Too Many to Post

Welcome to here all, I am one of thoses who had returned, after being gone for a whileI have been low vision most of my life, its only after returning that I
In English, grammer and spelling, and math still. Just to leet you folks know. Sometime what I want to have lost my vision, and I have learningdisibility.

I was sad to see that NKT was not their, but glad that MoN wasstill here, its
LIke now I got goffted and can't fix it. taken me a few tries to tries to find a browsers to find one that would give me what I needed. I am still learning my text to Speach softwre anand most of myof

Sometimes I well read something and understand it, but my writing isn';t up to the post in quesiton. , hard to transcripber what on my mind to worlds.my information comes from muy memory. But I have told folks about this place. r
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote