A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café

The Library Café Come in, relax, and get to know the other members of this site. Share your hobbies and interests, along with general news of your life.

Old Jul 29 2021, 03:20 PM   #1
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Pronouns: She/her
Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Relentless Moon by MRKowal
Klah What is Happening, part II

The original What is Happening thread had grown ridiculously long, and I have closed it and started this new one! Let us know what you've been up to lately; I'll start...

The biggest thing keeping me busy these days is my daily hike with my two-year-old GSD. We go to a lot of local parks and walk about a mile a day - not that far but it often takes an hour because I stop and take a lot of photos of flora and fauna, and my dog has important sniffing to do!

I also started working in an office instead of from home. Ironic during the ongoing pandemic, but it's small office and I see half the other employees weekly anyway. I'm enjoying it, I don't work too many hours per week and it's easier to focus there than at home with kids and dogs and cats and household chores to distract me.

Link to original What is Happening thread
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.

Last edited by Cheryl; Aug 3 2021 at 12:40 PM.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29 2021, 03:30 PM   #2
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Fan of: No One Noticed The Cat
Default Re: What is Happening, part II

Great idea starting anew!

From here we are enjoying being retired and thinking about what short trips we may take once the virus is better contained. All our family is fully vaccinated. Jeff and I try to do a mile walk down a dead end road near us every day. It is a very quiet street with good stretches of woods ending up at a lovely lake.

Our kids are 35 and 38. How did that happen!

I spend a lot of my time doing either cross stitch or needlepoint.

That's about it.
Priscilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29 2021, 06:30 PM   #3
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Pronouns: SheShe
Fan of: PShPern BB, Tia., and Oth
Now Reading: MHOP, Books Jerry Apps, Too Many to Post

I also think its its a good idea, but I am still trying to find what other have been up too, so is a way to cros-post so we can answer folks? I can't see more then three at the moment, with Google, , which is also let me create new post,. Even if I have to work on how get it to do what I want to do in my helpler programs, like JAWS = Jobs Access With Spee, and three other that I shall have to lexplain once I refresh my memory on.

So far no problems, after last night bad storms, here, but there is at log of folks without power, around my area, I have power, here, and we saw some tree down and large branches, from the storm,, I know I was worry for my staff. Got to my Dr. appointment, and start the paperwork, for gettinga new pair of sheoes/boots, I also sujested a few places to find something for some else. Craft ewise, dolly sp one to fit on a TV DStand.

In the middle of transering my files to this PC from my oild one, and trying to get my phone fix, I still need to find the files, for my print/driver for the image form 40 Years of Pern, the one with Two and the Gift of Dragons in it for Mawa, sp sorry if I got that wrong, L like I said, next week its well better for that. my staff can help me find what I am looking for I hop,. I think that good for a update for nw. More Later.ch
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29 2021, 06:41 PM   #4
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl View Post
The original What is Happening thread had grown ridiculously long, and I have closed it and started this new one! Let us know what you've been up to lately; I'll start...

The biggest thing keeping me busy these days is my daily hike with my two-year-old GSD. We go to a lot of local parks and walk about a mile a day - not that far but it often takes an hour because I stop and take a lot of photos of flora and fauna, and my dog has important sniffing to do!

I just found this on the othe thread I think its the one about wart I was speeking up Right now, in real life, I am haveing my staff help me set up my new pc and cell phone, see What is Happting Thread for more information.

But back to this Thread, I haven';t got around, to download the manger for Audio player, nor transfer all the files, for all my Pern collection, but Gigi book is their aacording to what my staff has pull up for me.,

Sorry, if I am rambling rigfht now I am just a littley ir
I also started working in an office instead of from home. Ironic during the ongoing pandemic, but it's small office and I see half the other employees weekly anyway. I'm enjoying it, I don't work too many hours per week and it's easier to focus there than at home with kids and dogs and cats and household chores to distract me.
I stll can't tell wre I am going to end up, I am back tracking Threads but , its a reminder, of what I need my atemparly lstaff meeded tpo help ,me with installing my printer/sccanner driver so it work
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Jul 29 2021, 07:40 PM   #5
Zelandeth

Fan of: Dragonsdawn
Now Reading: Working my way through the whole Pern series

Yeah, big long threads like that do make sense to cut up periodically to keep the manageable. Makes life easier on the server too as I understand it.

One thing I might suggest though Cheryl, would be to put a link in that first post back to the "Part 1" for future reference. Probably not a huge issue here we there's not masses of traffic, but it just feels like good practice to me...and my brain likes to keep things orderly like that.

-- -- --
As it's a bit of a fresh start for the thread, seems a good time to mention this:

If anyone wants me to split off my automotive ramblings (or just link to elsewhere) please let me know. I know the posts come in fits and starts and can be quite a ramble sometimes. Just tends to be that way with periods where I have quite a few things going on at once, then followed by a lull when boring day to day life keeps me out of the garage. It just became habit to include posting here as well many years ago, and as there's been some engagement here and there it's something I've kept up. I just don't want it to feel like I'm spamming the board though, especially as it's been a while since I've felt I had much to really contribute to the main body of the forums, so just let me know if I need to reel it in a bit.

If it's not annoying folks and potentially providing some interest to some of you though I'll continue as normal.

-- -- --

Hmm...can you tell which panel I experimentally gave a wipe clean then hit with the polish and wax this afternoon?

Looks like the paint might actually come up better than I expected. The actual colour change was a surprise! I honestly thought the car was a slightly warm white...no, it is actually a pure brilliant white. She just needs a really good deep clean.

Tyres have now been ordered, garage have said they'll just give me a call when they're in and I can just drop by then. Will be nice to have that done as the current set vary in age from 2017 at the newest to 2010 at the oldest and all have pretty significant perishing. Front two look superficially fine as the sidewalls are OK, but they're cracking up inside the tread area instead. Shame as I'd have probably kept one for the spare - not going to trust them for that duty though (as goodness knows how many years it might sit perishing more before I need it).

I always like to have a matched set of tyres on a car anyway so this would probably have happened anyway...as it is though these have had it. While being able to provoke a drift at just about any speed on a damp road is occasionally amusing, it's less than ideal in the real world when you're just trying to pull away from a set of traffic lights on a busy signalised roundabout. Especially when you notice there's a police car behind you. Yes the garage to order the tyres *was* the next place I stopped after that!
Zelandeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29 2021, 08:19 PM   #6
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Well I was trying to find a browerzer that well would let me post new stuff, and updated my stats .

Its kida gave me a chuckle when my staff was telling me about posts and frm the UK at that, I Carradyne Touch him, that what the tbhread was for, and we are from all over the world, he is a Star War fan, and a like board games, and has a a business that sells them, he was looking for Dunged and Dragons D&D game for those who have no vision, and I gave him a lead, I told about the the Dragonriders hides of Pern

Opp I see that I still am having a bit more problems mo ving around ye, sorry about ath. I enjoy what folks are doing out the Manyy Worlde of Anne McCafrey , I also have shared some of the idea that I pick up form tfrom fhere, I think, that I am going have to come back and fill in that one later.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Jul 29 2021, 08:28 PM   #7
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Zelandeth, I am really glad you brought that up. It is sometimes hard to know when "saying something" might be the wrong thing to do, and I have enjoyed quite a bit of your car posts. Saying that, the long strings of photos do at times make a page extremely long.

Here there used to be a wonderful radio program on Public Radio out of Boston I think, every Saturday morning called "Car Talk." It was fascinating and the two brothers who hosted it were very funny. This is just a thought - maybe you could start a " Car Talk" thread. I am sure people would still enjoy it and comment, including their own thoughts about cars.

I hope I have not been insulting as that has not been my intention. I'll read wherever you put your car things.
Old Jul 29 2021, 09:18 PM   #8
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla View Post
Zelandeth, I am really glad you brought that up. It is sometimes hard to know when "saying something" might be the wrong thing to do, and I have enjoyed quite a bit of your car posts. Saying that, the long strings of photos do at times make a page extremely long.

Here there used to be a wonderful radio program on Public Radio out of Boston I think, every Saturday morning called "Car Talk." It was fascinating and the two brothers who hosted it were very funny. This is just a thought - maybe you could start a " Car Talk" thread. I am sure people would still enjoy it and comment, including their own thoughts about cars.

I hope I have not been insulting as that has not been my intention. I'll read wherever you put your car things.
I agree, I was just saying, that my staff was addingdescripting to wshat I can't see, he has never been here before, I haven't heard the show you were talking about but, it was mention by a another Wisconsin writer, about Pub andNPR also, How Wisconsin started raido and TV, one of things I have been listen to;. Wisconin on the Air,, I think it waWis part of it title,, I have it on a different SD card,, and dI can't get to right now,, its was quite a good book, something about that program was air, before th whent to local program,, I jshall have to see if I can't find it. I have it just not to hand. Its was writter, during the celerbreation,ey while I was without internet, and some tokes time to get in audio copy.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Jul 30 2021, 07:41 AM   #9
Zelandeth

Fan of: Dragonsdawn
Now Reading: Working my way through the whole Pern series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla View Post

Not insulting at all, and that's exactly the sort of feedback that's really useful. Pulling it into a separate thread for similar things to be discussed is a good idea I reckon and saves me cluttering this one up so much.
Zelandeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30 2021, 10:16 AM   #10
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

That will be lovely and I suspect everyone will check in on all your progress! Thanks for understanding!
Old Jul 30 2021, 04:31 PM   #11
Mausey

I belong to a group that is trying to restore a 1919 railroad roundhouse and government red tape is strangling us. Our president spends weeks on paperwork to get a grant from Heritage Alberta and within a month we get a notice we need yet another engineering report for, wait for it, almost the exact amount they gave us. The grant can be used to fix the roof, get concrete repaired OR pay for reports. :headbang: The place is solid concrete, the last people to assess the timbers said they were in remarkable condition and had no issue. Yet for some reason somebody has decided we need a new engineers report about every 2 years even though the same engineers have said we're good for another 20 years. :headbang:

We have however passed all our health and safety requirements and can now host events, finally. *happy dancing* We have 2 maybe 3 wedding photo sessions booked and a couple more interested. Slow progress but at least we're moving in the right direction.
Old Jul 30 2021, 05:14 PM   #12
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Drang it, LOL at myhself for Ithe third time is the charm .

We didn't have our Fly-In/Drivin at Wild Rose WI, for health safety reasons So I think we luck out obn that, they came up woth a different way to help the airport, for itsit buy our not for profit association that I am a memmber of.

The pig roast was a big draw, and not just in my local area, some else I was chatting with was like the way my dad's make it, but if we do have he is back after having one Bad year, aaacorting to what he was told.

EAA EAA Adventer Cup,, ststart from my current home here in WWausau, Wi consWisconsin, This is the for Eaa at Oshkosh, Wisconsin The Expermental Aircraft Association

RRLFL I am going over some of my files, and I fill like a green dragon "pop in andfout between" then a dolphin at the moment, trying to see what I saved, after losing part oif my backups ande still stubling along with thsese helpoimg programs,, We depdepend on a lot of volunteerS Sorry m y finger are getting to cold to type, and JAWS is making harder to find my mistakes, too long. to help our stuff run, sorry everything so jubmbled up.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons

Last edited by GinnyStar; Jul 30 2021 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Fk
Old Jul 30 2021, 05:44 PM   #13
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

It is truly always something, Mausey. I give all of you so much credit, you have put years of volunteer work into this Roundhouse project. At least you can now have some small bits of money coming in. Bureaucrats! Need to be thwapped with a large, wet, smelly fish!
Old Jul 30 2021, 09:09 PM   #14
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

Thanks for contacting Hans for me Chyrl. Kibby will love having a copy of that print.

This week, I planning for Kibby's 26 birthday. Nothing fancy a nice dinner at home, cake ect..

On Monday I'm getting getting an MRI done on my shoulder, which has been hurting since October. Did PT from December until May, only got worse. Went to Orthopedic instead of GP. torn rottot cup. Not sure how bad.
We got 2 pup back in Dec. Got an electronic invisible fence. The kind that shock when you get too close. First they here a beeping sound then it gives a gentle reminder. Then a harder one. Works good for the male, Blue. The girl. Not so much. At first she would lay where she could hear the beeping, she likes the sound. Then she started sleeping on the fence line. She would go until she felt the strong shock, then lay down. We got a stronger collar. It is turned up as high as it will go (Blu's on the lightest leavel). She no longer sleeps on the fence line. She will shake her head when she crosses it. She doesn't go anywhere but the neighbors.
Which I wouldn't mind if they didn't have a screwed up, leaking, when it rains septic tank. The darn dog likes playing in the cess pool, the tank creates. Will she play in the pool I bought the dog? Of course not.
She gets more baths then all the other dogs put together.

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31 2021, 01:48 AM   #15
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Tell Kbby Happy Birthday from Me!

Somewhere I have a bit of a story taht is a name-day = Pern form of a Birthday story, in my files,, but I don't know where in the world I put it, just got my files moved to here, today,, amd tthey are not ready for use/.

The phone I and myh staff are still working on, for its hard to find a phone with full screen reader, here in the USA for 4-5G amd awotj bbuttoms fpfor I can't use a smart phone.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Jul 31 2021, 02:59 AM   #16
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: PiF

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawra View Post

This week, I planning for Kibby's 26 birthday. Nothing fancy a nice dinner at home, cake ect..

Oh wow, happy Birthday to Kibby! I still remember when you posted about her 13th birthday and her 21st. Time flies, my son's 12 now, so next year I'll be posting about his 13th.
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31 2021, 03:08 AM   #17
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Quote:

Thanks for starting a new thread. It just got me wondering, how old are your kids now?

Oh, I've just started re-reading the Talent books again and before that I read the CS books.

I'm still on vacation and enjoying the somewhat cooler weather. It's quite dry here, too, in spite of the rain we've had during the last few days. It's so dry that some trees have started to turn yellow and drop their leaves a couple months early. We've had a heatwave that lasted a couple months, and a heatwave here is defined as 3 consecutive days when the maximum temperature's hit 25 C/77 F. We've had more than 30 such days, although not necessarily consecutive ones. We've also had 20 days when it's been at least 30 C/86 F, more than ever before, at least since systematic temperature measurements started in the mid-19th century.
Old Jul 31 2021, 05:55 AM   #18
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Pronouns: He/him
Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

Quote:
We've also had 20 days when it's been at least 30 C/86 F, more than ever before, at least since systematic temperature measurements started in the mid-19th century.
Welcome to Global Warming!

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31 2021, 04:51 PM   #19
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by P'ter View Post
Welcome to Global Warming!
TjThat for that T P'ter I am chuckler at my software for the P sould like to D'ter , also thank thanks for the translation to F I understand much better, I thought that was hot, but I haven't been out of th USA, my dad has, when was drafted he when across to a base outside the USA, ande when was o over the road lorry?/truck longdriver, and up around lower part of Canada
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons

Last edited by GinnyStar; Jul 31 2021 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Spelling fix
Old Jul 31 2021, 07:57 PM   #20
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

It's been in the 90Fs here this past week.

Old Jul 31 2021, 09:21 PM   #21
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Zelandanth, I agree that starting a separate thread for your car posts would be sensible. Because of the length they tend to be and their frequency, they can overpower the rest of the posts.

Mawra - Kibby can't be that old, that's ridiculous! She was the only member we let join below age 13, and that can't have happened that many years ago.. :p

Granath - my twins are nearly 18 and will be seniors in high school in a month. We're starting to make college visits... The youngest is 11 and I wish she was a year older so she could be vaccinated before school starts; at least her school is mandating masks for all.

I re-read the CS books last year, first time in decades, and really enjoyed them. Talent would be fun to reread next, but I have so many new to-be-read books (like 70+ on my Kindle) I don't reread often unless I really want a comfort read.
Old Aug 1 2021, 09:43 AM   #22
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Quote:

Granath - my twins are nearly 18 and will be seniors in high school in a month. We're starting to make college visits... The youngest is 11 and I wish she was a year older so she could be vaccinated before school starts; at least her school is mandating masks for all.

I re-read the CS books last year, first time in decades, and really enjoyed them. Talent would be fun to reread next, but I have so many new to-be-read books (like 70+ on my Kindle) I don't reread often unless I really want a comfort read.

Oh wow, college already... I'm hoping that they'll open up vaccinations for my son's age group. They're already vaccinating kids aged 12-15 who have health issues that increase the risk of a serious illness, but not basically healthy kids like my son.

I've been very lucky so far with Covid, nobody I know has become ill, never mind been hospitalized or worse. My husband and I both have jobs that can be done fully remotely fairly easily and we have a big house where all of us can work from home in separate rooms, although luckily my son's been able to go to in-person school for most of the pandemic, except for two months in spring 2020. He did well enough because he's a diligent and motivated student, but he was much happier to go back to school. All that said, however, I haven't been able to focus on reading any new books, so I'm rereading old favorites.
Old Aug 1 2021, 03:46 PM   #23
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Cheryl, Kibby was 12 when you let her join. That was 14 years ago. Time flies.

Old Aug 1 2021, 06:15 PM   #24
Mausey

Time does indeed fly, one day you're yelling at the kids to pick up their shoes and the next holding grandkids.

For those not on facebook, I just read that Esme passed away. There wasn't much info. Sadly, she is one of many I used to see at least weekly that I lost touch with when the board went down. So very glad I rediscovered this.
Old Aug 1 2021, 06:47 PM   #25
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mausey View Post
Time does indeed fly, one day you're yelling at the kids to pick up their shoes and the next holding grandkids.

For those not on facebook, I just read that Esme passed away. There wasn't much info. Sadly, she is one of many I used to see at least weekly that I lost touch with when the board went down. So very glad I rediscovered this.
? Sorry for yuyour loss, I just got back on line, to Facebook my self, and I don't have all my link set up nor, have found which browser well work with FB = Facebook I just found theShariede Ten Pass Wyer (Question here did I spell that right?, if not pPlease post so I get right, for its one that my syste m isn't telling me right like a few poster here and some words :cup
:, I can't tell where in the word I have gooft so I can I know that JAWS
can creat a wordlist, I haven't got set up yet,) I am a member of it, NPC on it, andre its talk about in DragonWriter, Easy tjat pme pf pir ,e,b [posted, and I can't get right now, for my playher is ccharging, right now. I Know I have used it and the othe book that Mawa sp? is looki ng for the image from, and I was very shocked,, iI have been gone a long time, right now I am just tryhing to lear new stuff to help mover around without my sight, just around I liost my PC/internet access . I still don't have a hang of thing yet, If some some with the lawer in small the rest in Cap Loocks, I am sorry I am not Yelling is jjust my finger a starting to tired, getting cold, and while I don't have like CP butI don't have good cortol over my small mussle movents, as I get tired, I make more mistacks and myy my ingerSidhe s trembers and tewitch,, that I din't hear my problems till after I post them/
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Aug 4 2021, 04:46 PM   #26
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Sorry I am rambling here but my mind is doing some thinks right now, for a frind's father just passed away and his furnale is Thur. I don't plan on going, but I do plan on sharing my work Pain, but some else isis there too, don';t if I can do or not, transscrible whaqt on my mind to words

Trying to find a way toget ofld of DragonCode sp? in audio is harder then we wwere thinking, for my type of player isn't suported, so I shall have to lwait, I have some check into it. Not all those devices are not work with the site, and I can't run a smart phone, I like the flip phone, I am not the oly in my area my is my friend she ihad the same proble as I, but she has CP and I think she use as a cruch,, she recall me driving her a tad baddy when I would driver wht a bir of music when I was list to the then bbook on cassettes and the short Musical that is on a anothe thread, and Moreta: Dragonllady of Pern, while she was studing, well that was the player/recorder as the time I could get, was the 34-track onces. at my college,, I tried the comved walkman in and I had to much problem iwtwith it..

Tkps is going to twist into more what you been listing to for a second, bubut Dragonseye/DE or Red Star Rising was the first one that I heard in the comuersal 4-2-Track with l/r speakers, the Dragondaws was a play on any type of player. that I got frp, ,ui leamdomg llibarly. But Dthe was the first I bought, and can'rt listen to it now.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Aug 5 2021, 04:34 AM   #27
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

I'm so sorry for your friend's loss, and yours, GinnyStar.
Old Aug 5 2021, 05:36 PM   #28
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by granath View Post
I'm so sorry for your friend's loss, and yours, GinnyStar.
Thanks, I shall pass on the word, wwhen I next speek to heher, she isn't a fan of Anne McCaffreyy., but she is a fellow crafter, she makins hats, and othe things with a circle loom and a crshae hook,
and I have shared with the other friend who is a fan of AMC some of the yyarn that I can't use. I also shared other stuff iwwith them, the are members of our local blind outreach at our church, the center isgroup that is now tL/t. Braille Works, the original was created by a member of our church before I join, and their base was in St. Louis MO, before the other group took over, I am having a problem spelling the est of the name, but, the person who started it still is in the area with a servering a church of his own,
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Aug 8 2021, 07:34 PM   #29
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Kibby & I went to our first con in a year and a half. It was a very small one, but still nice. Saw people we only see at cons.
We were going to go to Worldcon, which is in Washington DC this year. We has to change our mind. The hotel they were going to have went bankrupt. They moved the con from August to a week before Christmas. Which is not doable.
The host hotel probably won't have dining & they aren't making other arrangements, like food truck. They only have 5 guests listed. About 2 months ago changed con chair. That person fired, can volunteers be fired, the one who has been working for year on programs, & has canceled most of the programs. We've decided that we're glad we decided not to go. We're not the only ones. Most people who work retail, or food service has canceled.
Next year's will be in Chicago, we might try for that one.

Old Aug 8 2021, 07:51 PM   #30
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Jeff and I were talking about Dragoncon the other day. We went about 4 times many years ago now and then it became impossible to book a hotel room so we quit going. I'm very glad we had the experience. I doubt we'll be going to any other conventions.
Old Aug 9 2021, 01:15 AM   #31
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

I'm so happy to see this board get more traffic again. It was amazing visit the Pern forum with a dozen threads with new posts.
Old Aug 10 2021, 06:39 AM   #32
Hans
Master Archivist

Good idea of restarting the thread, Boss!

Mausey; I'm so sorry to hear about Esme's passing. As far as I rememberr she wasn't even young during the old KT days but always active and vigorous!

Granath; your son is 12???? Geez! Time does fly!

And Mawra... I remember sevreal of Kibby's birthdays. Gosh, some of us go back decades :-)

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10 2021, 08:10 AM   #33
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post

Granath; your son is 12???? Geez! Time does fly!
Yeah, it does. Amazing to think that in a couple of years he'll be the same age as your son was when I visited you way back in 2003... And I'll be 50 next year.
Old Aug 10 2021, 10:40 AM   #34
Allen

Fan of: The Pern Series
Now Reading: Robin Hobb's Shaman's Crossing

Quote:
... And I'll be 50 next year.
Gee, wish I was 50.... Again!
Old Aug 10 2021, 10:56 AM   #35
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Quote:
I'm so happy to see this board get more traffic again. It was amazing visit the Pern forum with a dozen threads with new posts.
It is nice to this place get active again, with a great mix of new members and familiar faces. I almost shut it down a couple years ago, but wanted to throw an online party ahead of it and never got my act together to get it organized. And now I'm glad for it!
Old Aug 10 2021, 03:48 PM   #36
Mausey

I for one am very happy you toughed it out. It's so easy to lose track of how long it's been. I started with the original board somewhere around 1997 or so (I think). My youngest is now married with 2 little girls. I get to laugh at him now, surrounded by females. I was the lone female in our house of 5, even the cats were males. :laugh: I remember posting about his football games and having a house filled with boys a foot taller than me. :laugh: SharonCoffeeFiend and the family shrub. So many happy memories.
Old Aug 11 2021, 03:20 PM   #37
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Well I am glad to have this BB up and going,, this and NKT along with 40 Years of Pern, and DragonWriter E was keeping me going for a long time, For I am still learning how to get around wwithout sight, here on the internet, phone, and bbeybeyond it,, right now I am getting a ttad frustrated for after all this time my Book Port Plus isn't being made andymore , so I am going to have to learn how to learn a new device to be both my book reqader, and notetaker, for it is/was my pen and papeer,. Trying to get things done, while I have good hel;p, for this I am going have to have my suport stfaff find me someone that can help me get out of the pipickles that I get in.

I have used some of the gifts from the SS and orderment exchanges from NKT and PF I hope you folks can understand my shortcuts, I have had a bubusy day all ready fix some of my problems s got and order my new shooes/boots and got back on line so I can post. I wond if half regular and half deca coffecoffee is real coffee, to me it is. I might just go and get a cup and be back lager to see what happing for all of us.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Aug 12 2021, 02:21 AM   #38
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

.y birthday is in a couple of weeks, Kibby gave me my birthday present early. Her & my sister got me a pocket my favorite Pocket Dragon, What Cookie. It's a tiny dragon trying to hide a cookie behind its back. I've wanted that one since before Kibby was even born. I now have 4 Pocket Dragons.

Old Aug 12 2021, 07:35 AM   #39
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

I love Pocket Dragons, I also have a couple. That was so thoughtful of your sister and Libby. Happy Early Birthday!
Old Aug 13 2021, 06:28 PM   #40
Allen

Fan of: The Pern Series
Now Reading: Robin Hobb's Shaman's Crossing

I have probably somewhere between 50-100 Pocket Dragons. My first one was almost 20 years ago, called Tiny Bit Tired.