A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

Old Jul 22 2011, 09:40 AM   #41
semantre
Dragonrider
Candidate

Fan of: Pern Series
Now Reading: Whatever I can get my hands on
Default Re: The Workings Of "Between"

You're welcome.
semantre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22 2011, 11:05 PM   #42
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Pronouns: SheShe
Fan of: PShPern BB, Tia., and Oth
Now Reading: MHOP, Books Jerry Apps, Too Many to Post

I'm working on a copy of the short story in a special meda, and I'm starting to understand it.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2 2011, 01:34 PM   #43
cbrtlsseca
Inactive

Fan of: PERN in general
Now Reading: Dragon Nimbus Volume 1 "The Perfect Princess"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinnyStar View Post
The other thing, was Lessa's treated F'nor face, they were minor burns, that day, and that was before F'lar and Lessa, making the Southern trip, to see if Southern was OK, while they were gone, F'lar had rider's and others packing for the trip, while he had the meeting with Lord Holders and CraftMasters.

When made the first trip two of F'nor in Dragonsflight, at that time, the burns healed, tanned, and eyes show the 'strain' that was before they when, Lessa and F'lar agreed not to tell F'nor about it not working, and only he made the reports between times, with Ramoth putting an 'restriction' on the other dragons of the venter, to be safe.

I am referring to is exactly the same time frame you are speaking of, and why I think F'lar was able to get an echo from Canth 10 turns away. I still don't see where you think I am mixed up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaron View Post
I was reading through Dragonflight again, and I noticed a strange comment that F'lar made - when Lessa makes her great leap back 450 Turns, F'lar comments that "Mnementh can't hear either her or Ramoth anywhere. Yet he says he can get an echo from Canth many [ten] turns away and in the Southern Continent".
Could this be linked to or even how Lorana was able to contact Dragons in Between? Could this be how other Dragons can tell if another is dead or not? Oddly, two (or five, I suppose) books later in The White Dragon, D'ram goes to what will later become Cove Hold, and goes 25 Turns back, and F'lar basically implies that Ramoth hasn't been able to find him. I suppose this could be a retcon, or simply an Anne-consistency, or perhaps it could be that Mnementh knew where Canth would be, and as such, knew where to look. Or perhaps he was somehow "receiving" Canth's last telepathic thoughts before he went Between to the South?
cbrtlsseca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3 2011, 01:43 PM   #44
semantre
Dragonrider
Candidate

Fan of: Pern Series
Now Reading: Whatever I can get my hands on

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrtlsseca View Post
I meant that there was also a Present form of themselves. Yes the whole time F'nor and Canth were in Southern healing there was a Present version of themselves at Benden. Remember There was a Span of 3 days I believe from the time F'lar decided to send F'nor and the injured back, to the time he actually sent him back. Also F'nor from southern did visit F'lar 2 or 3 times to warn him or give an update in those 3 days.

First time F'nor just about ran into himself in the council chamber.

Also look at the time difference. Ramoth and Lessa went back 400+ years, and Dram went back 25 years. F'nor and Canth only went back I believe 3 years.
That's why we think you are mixed up. Those two statements are not in agreement. F'nor and Canth never did a time hop of 3 years, and the only injury mentioned for the 10-year hop was a light threadscore. In addition, no, there was not a present version of F'nor and Canth the entire time he was in the South in the past. There was a period of time where F'nor was not at Benden, at all. Don't you think he would have been with F'lar when Lessa was discovered to be missing if he was in present time? And yet, he's not there. Because he has already left for the past at that point, and will not return until the day after Lessa's jump.

So please, clarify what it is that you think allowed Mnementh to locate Canth 10 Turns away, but not Ramoth 400+ Turns away or D'ram's dragon 25 Turns away, when none of these dragon were in the 'present' time. Because your statements so far are rather contradictory.

I believe it is a matter of knowing where, and when, to 'look' for the dragon in question. Mnementh knew where/when Canth should be, so he could locate him. He didn't know where/when Ramoth or D'ram's dragon would be, so he couldn't find them.
semantre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3 2011, 06:21 PM   #45
Brenda

Just to clarify the timeline:

Lessa and F'nor jumped back ten Turns before they flew straight to the Southern Continent. Then they went between back to their present Benden.

F'nor later took the new weyrlings, candidates, and some other riders and probably Lower Caverns workers, and took them all back ten Turns to establish Southern Weyr.

They lived there for about three Turns, during which F'nor made a couple of trips back to Benden to let F'lar know how things were going. So, they arrived in the South at -10 Turns and left at -7 Turns, returning to a Benden Weyr where only a few days had passed.

During those few days, F'nor showed up at Benden a couple of times. They noted how he had aged - because at his end, he had been living for months before coming back to check in.

Other than those few scenes of F'nor at Benden, he was not at Benden.
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21 2012, 12:59 AM   #46
Almaron
Weyr Harper

Fan of: White Dragon - Yay Ruth!

Not too long after finishing the synopses for the Third Pass books, I ended up stumbling across the Pern Wiki's half-finished page detailing Between, and the various ways of travelling through it. With a good deal of knowledge regarding "timing-it" fresh in my head, I decided to go over a lot of my notes and I ended up writing (and rewriting) this vast page in which I think I've covered just about everything; including some of the weird new information that might still need some teasing out to make sense.

Have a read, and tell me if I've missed anything or gotten something wrong. I'm mainly happy with the fact that I finally came up with a better way of describing "Beyond" and the various confusing details that were revealed in "Beyond Between".
http://pern.wikia.com/wiki/Between
Almaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26 2012, 07:51 PM   #47
J'han
Inactive

Fan of: Pern. Robinton. Volly.
Now Reading: Crystal Singer

My thoughts on Marco and his dragon are like Brenda's:
As the first rider and dragon lost Between, they....learned it? first, and became like the ferryman Charon, and show those who came after the way Beyond. Seeing as dragons can get their destination from other dragons, it may be that Marco went Beyond, and came back to guide the others who came after to Beyond by that dragon to dragon destination transfer methods.

"I believe I need a glass of wine to fortify myself against this conversation." -Laurence

"One must always be prepared to liberate treasure"-Vala Mal Daran Stargate SG-1
J'han is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27 2012, 04:08 AM   #48
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Moreta

Regarding Jora, we don't know that she died from overeating. I'm sure that's speculation, nothing more. She could have died from pretty much anything.

Or is there a quote from MHOP that I've forgotten?
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27 2012, 04:29 AM   #49
Almaron
Weyr Harper

Fan of: White Dragon - Yay Ruth!

I thought it was mentioned somewhere, but I could be wrong. I'll have another check later.

Quote:
My thoughts on Marco and his dragon are like Brenda's:
As the first rider and dragon lost Between, they....learned it? first, and became like the ferryman Charon, and show those who came after the way Beyond. Seeing as dragons can get their destination from other dragons, it may be that Marco went Beyond, and came back to guide the others who came after to Beyond by that dragon to dragon destination transfer methods.
Not quite; Marco tells Moreta that he hasn't been able to get Beyond; he's only seen other dragons and their riders heading there. But aside from that, he is essentially their equivalent of Charon; except instead of guiding them, he just rescues the lost, gives them a pat on the back, and sends them on their way.
Almaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27 2012, 11:53 AM   #50
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Moreta

Okay, I've had a look in MHOP, and it's described off-camers. "Robinton had had the details from a letter sent to Master Oldive by Lord Raid's journeyman healer, who had been brought by R'gul to try to keep the Weyrwoman alive. Remembering how Jora had gorged herself... [in the past, more general comments] ...he had no trouble believing that the woman had died of overeating". This is a very vague statement. It's Robinton's personal belief, and it isn't clear how precisely it agrees with what was in the letter or not, or whether the diagnosis was those specific words, or a more general obesity-related health problem. I think you can state with certainty tthat Jora died of health problems related to obesity, but not that she died as a direct consequence of a specific episode of overeating. She died as a consequence of long-term overeating, but not necessarily from overeating.
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote