A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café

The Library Café Come in, relax, and get to know the other members of this site. Share your hobbies and interests, along with general news of your life.

Closed Thread

Old Jul 16 2021, 02:24 PM   #5921
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Pronouns: SheShe
Fan of: PShPern BB, Tia., and Oth
Now Reading: MHOP, Books Jerry Apps, Too Many to Post
Default Re: What is happening

text to speech to softweare is not sticking on th end but the beginning of folks post as the moments. It been very hard., had to bget a new PC-laptop, new agreement, and find some helplp my old one retired. So Right I have him, but he only here for the summer, he works for the local public school part time and go to s chool part-time.. Lost
More later.wer might be in the wrong spot. My text-to-speach softwear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen View Post
It's been quite a while back, but I used to see a car being driven in Rolla Mo. with tags about 2 or 3 YEARS out of date; I remember seeing it every once in a while over the span of about a year. It was an older Cadillac, almost "vintage" age, so that's why I spotted it in the first place; it really stood out in the crowd, so to speak.

P.S.
Welcome back Ginny! It's so good to hear from you again, after all this time. I'm glad to know your spirit remains undaunted by the challenges thrown at you. Stay strong!
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
Old Jul 16 2021, 07:03 PM   #5922
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Opps FYI: Still having problems geting around the sites. So ou might find me pop up in old threads and ?? what is gong?
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Jul 17 2021, 01:36 AM   #5923
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: PiF

I'm so glad to see this forum get more people posting once again! For years, I pretty much only posted in this thread because there was no activity elsewhere.

I'm sorry you've lost the last of your sight, GinnyStar, but very happy to have you back with us.
Old Jul 17 2021, 01:55 AM   #5924
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

sTILL HAVING A DILLY OF A TIME GETTING AROUND, i WELL HAVE TO WAIT ON A 'SIGHTED' PERSON TO HELP ME RESET MY SETTING DSO i CAN FIND WHAT IN THE WORLD IS GOING ON :o, oN THEPLUS SIDE i HAVE A FEW FOLKS THAT i HAVE SHARED aNNE'S wORDS WITH AND OTHERS LIKE HER CO-WRITERS LIKE eEANN, jODY lYYN nYE, eEANN mOON :o (GETTTING TIRED HERE AND MY SPELLING IS SLOWING DOWN i HOPE YOU CAN UNDERSTAND ME.(,, FOUND THEY LIKE SOME OF OTHER sf WORKS, BUT, ONE SHARES MY LOVE OF DOLPHINS OLPHIN: AND LIKE SHSHORT SHORTS, ONE LOVES BOARD GAMES, dAND d i HELPED HIM FIND SOME AUDIO LIKS SO HE COULD SHASHARE THE BOARD GAME, TOLD HIM ABOUT tHE dRAGONRIDERS OF pERN GAME, AND rOBIN wOOD, IF SHE IS GONE :SAD: i MIGHT HAVE SOMETHING IN MIND A DIFFERENT TYPE OF WRITING IF i CNA GET MY SYHSTEM TO POST, OR GET SOMEELSE TO HELP ME TO POST IT, ONCE i FINISH IT. FOR iTS SEETING IN THE IN MY MIND, AND hAN'S SITE HAS GIVE ME A GILIMMER OF AN IDEA TO. i USE THE 40 yEARS OF pERN TO GOODUSE TO FIND THIS SIGHT, AND ID FOLKS, FROM AROUND THE WORLD, gOOD nIGHT FOLKS, FROM wAUSAU wi cds 24:58 OR 12:58 P.M. i THINK :o
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Jul 17 2021, 05:21 PM   #5925
Zelandeth

Fan of: Dragonsdawn
Now Reading: Working my way through the whole Pern series

Had a relatively uneventful trip up north today despite some really odd spots of heavy traffic. Managed to arrive within 30 minutes of our target time though.

To collect this.

This is the latest addition to my little fleet. She's a 1986 230TE.

A W123 has been on my wish list for as long as I can remember however I'd tended to think that they had spiralled utterly beyond my price range - especially for the estates, which really are the only ones I could ever make make sense in our family - a saloon just doesn't offer me the necessary flexibility.

This example is quite careworn around the edges in a few places and definitely needs a bit of TLC, but seems generally fundamentally solid underneath it all.

Safely made it to our overnight stopover point.

First thing I did was to straighten the emblem as it was sitting crooked and being able to see that from the driver's seat was making my teeth itch.

Figured doing a fluids check tonight made sense so we can just go in the morning (assuming we don't come back to a huge lake under the car anyway). Initially this was foiled by the bit of wire which serves as the secondary bonnet release lever came off in my hand.

I did briefly consider taking the approach of "Let's just do the right thing and pretend we didn't see that... it'll be fine..." Before telling myself to stop being daft. First up, 300+ mile drive tomorrow. Secondly, you've played this game before with a friend's W123 so you know full well that it takes 30 seconds to resolve. Thirdly you've already been made aware that this car has a couple of oil leaks. Sure enough a minute of peering through the radiator grill to remind myself how the latch worked and we were in.

Yep... checking that was worthwhile.

Much better.

Coolant was also a touch low. Not drastically, but with 28C forecast tomorrow I figure the more help I can give it the better.

We'll just be taking it easy wherever possible on the way home.
Old Jul 17 2021, 06:58 PM   #5926
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Well my dad know the problem, about keeping up the maintanices on the GMC Truck, and a Jeep. Both around town some whated to buy them both I think

LOL at myself, I used an you have a post in this thread to get here, via a Pin Instrest to get here. First time for me getting into my my e-mail for a long time. tried a different one get there via a thired way unsure what the call it, not change of the mail you get, burt it was make quite frustrated. Still tTook two rounds to get in here if I am not in got tyhping speed then it won't work or right keystrocks.

Was also looking to see in a real life firend in USA tht I know on Facebook, can hlep get so I can change my passedcode if so please PM me here and I well get back to as sson as I can. Thank. GinnyStar. PS I wanted to ask this on it Thread but I am have problem created new one with this program yet. "O.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Jul 18 2021, 01:47 PM   #5927
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

Kibby is a much happier person over all since changing jobs.

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
Old Jul 18 2021, 02:17 PM   #5928
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: PiF

I'm glad she's doing so well now.
Old Jul 18 2021, 07:44 PM   #5929
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Starting to get a hand on my helper program, but I can't see only a few post, at a time: :rool: Still having a dilly of a time geting in here. Working on a new phone for they are go to a higher speed netwar 5 g I think. I still have somewhat of a 'dumb' flip cell phone. With all my problems, both phyical and mental, its workis better for me. :P

I was thing of PERN her on Earth Red Sands a name of a beach I think here in WIsconsin near Wisconsin RRapits, I think that was in ISta Hold, DSong I think?

Glaay Kibby likes her new job, Iwent theiree once on my birthday a fews years ba ck,, Good food, don't care for the soad I had a few folks their, not so sure, what I oder, been too long. I think that thave a memue in Braill- large print, if not that would be a great way to get more folks to ccome to eat. Like Applebee's' they have one that had both, so Denys' I was thinking of what type of soad that have there don't recall, 'lost my thought' in the middle of my typing, 'hand got ahead of my mind' , so I just re-typed once more.

Sorry about that. MLMy LD got in my eway. and I am still trytrying still to understand how to work with this program.I don't have the list handy but you should be able to find out who dose like here in WI ABLE Audio and Braill Transler group more later, my finger are getting cold, and time get something to eat, while I have the time.,. Library of Congress, for the Blind and ibary of Congress, for the Blind and rint Disability drat I know what I am tryhing to say just can't spell it. nI can recall part of it their l h gov / so can Read or something like that. I don't have all my bbookmarks, set up yet. LPPhyical Handicapper
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Jul 18 2021, 07:55 PM   #5930
Zelandeth

386 miles later she is safely home.

So, so nearly made it without incident. We made really good time, after two checks en route to make sure we weren't losing any fluids we were quite happily bowling through the last stint, when on mile 372 of 389, four miles before our exit from the M1 we hit stationary traffic, out of the blue.

At which point we were parked almost motionless for 40 minutes, save for a couple of six foot creeps. On a 29C day, in direct sunlight, being blasted by the output from the radiator of the bus in front of us.

Approximately 39 minutes and 30 seconds into the wait, the engine stopped...and refused to restart...right as the traffic started moving off. In lane 2, on a bit of motorway with no hard shoulder...nor even any provision for pedestrian egress unless I fancied trying to clamber over s six foot tall concrete barrier wall.

Mercifully after about five minutes (however long it took me to get through to the police to report the issue I was causing), she restarted as though nothing had happened.

It felt like classic fuel vapour lock...which I've never personally come across on an injected engine before, but it would be theoretically possible I'd think with a continuous injection system like this as the injectors are essentially poppet valves. There is one thing I will definitely do though related to this incident will be to find the ignition amplifier, clean it up and apply fresh heatsink compound between it and whatever it's bolted to as if that overheated it could have caused our spark to drop out.

Never lost a drop of coolant nor overheated...got warmer than I'd generally like because I'm always wary of overheating, but nowhere near "in the red."

Just really lucky the traffic never got above walking pace until after I got the car going again.

Given the absolutely absurd number of dead cars littering the motorway today though I absolutely don't begrudge her having a momentary temper tantrum. It was pretty much exactly the sort of scenario you'd use for stress testing.

Other than that five minutes of mild panic though she ran absolutely perfectly the whole way.

I fuelled up just before calling it a day so I could calculate my economy, coming out at 30.2MPG. Not exactly going to win any prizes but perfectly acceptable.

Observations:

For all she looks a little care worn cosmetically in a few areas she actually drives incredibly well. The waft is strong with this one. She does have a decent turn of pace though when asked.

It took me until departing the toll booth on the M6 Toll to discover the front seat arm rest...and about another ten minutes to figure out how to deploy it.

That huge, carpet lined cubby where most cars would have the handbrake is absolutely brilliant. I am going to miss that in everything going forward!

Why don't more cars have sunroofs this big?

Cabin is generally a nice place to be...resecuring a couple of bits of trim, sorting the front and rear trim panel headlining and a really good clean will transform it.

Really good rear legroom.

Boot space is absolutely massive...this must be twice the size of the boot in the Lada which is the only other estate I've owned to date.

It's the best part of 15 years since I last drove a W123...and I've definitely been reminded why they have such a strong following...they are cracking cars to drive. Not massively engaging, but a lovely way to waft around.

Really does feel in a lot of ways like a German Saab...and I mean that as a huge compliment.

Definitely glad to have bought it.

The single combined indicator/wiper stalk is something I'm absolutely used to (and like) from the van... though it's on the opposite side of the column. I'd just about stopped flailing around into my keyring when cancelling indicators about the time we got home.

Had forgotten how nice and purposeful a growl these engines make higher in the rev range... it's that perfect blend of refined yet purposeful.

Issues we need to look into:

[] Aforementioned engine cutout incident...clean up, re-thermal goop the ignition amplifier module. In honesty an electric booster fan to help keep under bonnet temps down in traffic wouldn't be a bad thing these days.

[] Oil leaks. Rocker cover is definitely leaking...will sort that, clean up then see what else we find.

[] Valve clearances need setting I think as the top end is a bit tappy. I need to take the rocker cover off anyway so a good time to sort them. Sounds more like valve train than timing chain. It's a bit strange a setup on these engines as they have a central can which is completely hidden under the rockers, but I've done it before so no worries there.

[] Driver's seat base needs some help, feels like the springing has partly collapsed.

[] Secondary bonnet catch release handle is broken.

[] Electric adjustment for nearside mirror doesn't work.

[] Missing pin in NSF interior door release handle.

[] All four door locks loose in doors... already sorted. They all close with the proper solid thud now...love the noise they make, very reminiscent of Volvos.

[] In gear idle is a tad low.

[] Minor exhaust blow from somewhere.

[] Propshaft UJ wants either greasing or replacing as it clonks a bit when switching between drive/reverse.

The brightwork will be getting s polish shortly too...that alone will probably make quite the difference.

Something I always enjoy is nightime dash lighting photos so of course had to grab one. Once I replaced the one blown bulb in the heater blower knob anyway.

Will need to revisit this as the illumination in the button panel above the heater doesn't seem to work currently.

Looking forward to getting stuck into that to do list!

Expect a couple of dozen photos tomorrow.
Old Jul 18 2021, 09:52 PM   #5931
Mausey

We've been really smoky the past few days. While they are nowhere near us there are fires both west and south and the winds are blowing smoke in. It's bad enough to give people headaches and the sun is just a disc in the sky you can look right at with no danger whatsoever. It does make for glorious sunrise and sunsets.

There was a concert in a park and the singer really noticed it, was sipping a lot of water. It almost looks like fog and I can't imagine how bad it is in the fire zones.
Old Jul 19 2021, 07:03 AM   #5932
Zelandeth

As of midnight our insane collection of idiots who claim to be a government went ahead with their decision to remove all COVID restrictions...despite us *alread* being on track to have more daily new cases than we have seen at any time to date by the first or second week in August. Basically everyone involved from the scientific side has been waving skyscraper sized red flags and screaming into the void that it's madness.

Quite how they can justify not pushing that back with how things have unfolded over the last month or so I'll never know... though "we just don't care" is most likely the answer.

They're "urging caution" from the general public. Yeah...in a country where a massive percentage of people simply refused to obey the rules in the first place...
Old Jul 19 2021, 11:03 AM   #5933
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Fan of: No One Noticed The Cat

I have a very good friend in the UK who is a teacher. Both she and her husband have had vaccines BUT they both have health issues that make them extremely cautious. She is a science teacher and has been terrified of what is coming. Unfortunately, all anyone can do is stay away from the unmasked hordes, wear a mask yourself, use hand sanitizer and cross your fingers. We have our own share of anti-vaccine loonies over here that are filling up hospitals.

Good luck and take care!
Old Jul 19 2021, 09:04 PM   #5934
Zelandeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla View Post
I have a very good friend in the UK who is a teacher. Both she and her husband have had vaccines BUT they both have health issues that make them extremely cautious. She is a science teacher and has been terrified of what is coming. Unfortunately, all anyone can do is stay away from the unmasked hordes, wear a mask yourself, use hand sanitizer and cross your fingers. We have our own share of anti-vaccine loonies over here that are filling up hospitals.

Good luck and take care!
Out briefly today...think I saw maybe two other people wearing masks. I give it a fortnight before we're back in lockdown.

-- -- --

Little very mild tinkering before I went out to run some errands this afternoon.

Step 1 was to implement a slightly more robust solution to the broken secondary bonnet catch pull than the bit of bent wire on it.

Cable tie to the rescue.

Which I can tuck back into the grill to make it slightly less conspicuous when not in use.

Of course I remembered about 30 seconds after this that I have some grey ones in the garage. Meh, it will do for now, the broken bit will be getting replaced eventually anyway.

While I was under the bonnet there were some checks to make. First up, how much oil did we use during the run down yesterday?

A sufficiently tiny amount that it doesn't show on the dipstick. Not going to complain at that!

Coolant hasn't moved either, which is pretty impressive given the conditions yesterday.

On the subject of coolant the radiator isn't in the best of condition. It's serviceable (if she held temperature yesterday she should do under any situation) but I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for a replacement.

While the oil is a bit grubby the air filter looks pretty much new so I'll leave that alone for the time being.

The spring clips on the airbox are wicked strong so I quickly learned to keep your knuckles out of the way when releasing them...ow.

Fuel metering plate could do with a clean though. This ideally wants to be cleaner than a hospital operating table after it's prepped for surgery.

Just having a general poke around the engine bay I discovered that the power steering pump has an integrated reservoir...

This was a surprise as that's what I'd (for no particularly good reason) assumed the oil reservoir on the offside front wing was for.

After a little head scratching I remembered reading something about the estates having self leveling suspension on the rear...so that will be what this is for then. All I know so far is it looks like we have a camshaft driven pump and that the pipework disappears downward in the general vicinity of the brake master cylinder.

I was wanting to renew the thermal compound under the ignition amplifier, I was expecting to find this on the nearside inner wing...which was exactly where it was.

The heatsink compound under it wasn't horrible but was clearly just starting to break down and go chalky in a couple of places.

This was cleaned off and replaced with new good quality stuff. I do note that the O-rings on the wiring connectors are badly perished so will need to change those - especially as a date with the degreaser is definitely in the future of this engine bay.

First lesson I learned during the trip out today...if you brake fairly firmly at speed, the sunroof will slide shut and scare the bejeezus out of you. Will check to see if it can be locked in the open position next time...never occurred to me.

She really is a nice car to waft around in and really does look classy.

Really does have proper presence on the road too.

A long term fleet member? Bit hard to say so early on...but my gut feeling is that she may well be.
Old Jul 20 2021, 09:02 AM   #5935
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Happy Birthday, Cheryl!
Old Jul 20 2021, 01:49 PM   #5936
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Pronouns: She/her
Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Relentless Moon by MRKowal

Quote:
Happy Birthday, Cheryl!
Thanks, Cilla!
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Old Jul 20 2021, 02:15 PM   #5937
Allen

Fan of: The Pern Series
Now Reading: Robin Hobb's Shaman's Crossing

Quote:
Happy Birthday, Cheryl!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl View Post
Thanks, Cilla!
You had a birthday? Why aren't we notified of such things? Happy birthday, Cheryl!
Old Jul 20 2021, 02:27 PM   #5938
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Smile Re: What is happening

Belated Happy Birthday to any one I missted, or othe happy event I had my have missed, for I just returned, my own birthday, was in June 27., turn late in my forth decade for my own Nameday., was thinking of you folks a lot.

:ccake: :LOL:
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Jul 20 2021, 03:10 PM   #5939
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

There are enormous, dangerous wildfires out west. It is "overcast" here in Connecticut from the smoke.
Old Jul 20 2021, 03:55 PM   #5940
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Post Re: What is happening

Quote:
There are enormous, dangerous wildfires out west. It is "overcast" here in Connecticut from the smoke.
Hi! trying to find its very hazy here, Trying to get updated with all the post I missed, Zen Hugg.Hi! in Wisconsin, USA for it too. We have some very pretty reactions to it according to to the news. I can't see so I have to dpend on other to tell me what is going on. Dang tehelper program. still having a dilly geting around yet. :P
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Jul 20 2021, 03:58 PM   #5941
Zelandeth

Just as a bit of background to the "thermal incident" during the trip home, this is the highest the temperature gauge ever seems to get to, in stop/start town traffic today with 30C ambient temperatures.

It gets that far, then drops back down to just below that mark on the gauge over the course of a minute or two, then just repeats that cycle. Presumably as the (electromagnetic) clutch on the fan cuts in/out. Temperature when actually driving seems to sit at a fairly solid 85-95C. So I don't think she's overheating, rather something just took exception to being hot.

Having scared myself half to death yesterday when the sunroof slammed itself shut (it's unsurprisingly heavy!) under braking I had a closer look today. It can indeed be locked in place when open...not sure why this never occurred to me before.

Will try to remember to do that in future to avoid giving myself a heart attack again. Speaking of the sunroof, yes that locking/pull handle is indeed as satisfying to operate as it looks like it should be.

While the stereo fitted was relatively recent it lacked Bluetooth connectivity. Given that this is a car I plan to use regularly this was a must have, and I figured I may as well just get it swapped out now while I'm waiting for some service parts to arrive.

Pulling the old one out revealed that the cage wasn't actually anchored to the dash at all and typically 80s stereo wiring.

The fact that by wiggling the wires I could make channels cut in and out confirmed that I needed to remove the tape and properly connect these wires together.

By the standards of modern stereos the new one is not massively blingy at least.

The display colours on this unit are fully customisable and you can separately set it for the display and buttons. So I went with warm white for the display and red for the buttons, matching the heater controls directly above.

Far better than the bright blue gaudy thing it replaced anyway.

Haven't fitted the hands free mic or DAB antenna yet, will come back to that when I have more time and it's less than 29C in the shade. In fact I've not even turned the volume up to see how good or otherwise the speakers are, as they may well be the next thing to see attention if they're poor. Even sticking with the stock sizes there can be huge improvements to be had, speaker tech has come a long way in recent years. Don't worry, no holes are getting cut, everything will be kept behind the factory grills.

It did reveal that the centre console doesn't actually appear to be attached to the rest of the dash...so that's something else I'll need to add to the to do list for investigation.
Old Jul 20 2021, 05:13 PM   #5942
mara

Fan of: the pern serie's
Now Reading: rereading the crystal singer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinnyStar View Post
Hi! trying to find its very hazy here, Trying to get updated with all the post I missed, Zen Hugg.Hi! in Wisconsin, USA for it too. We have some very pretty reactions to it according to to the news. I can't see so I have to dpend on other to tell me what is going on. Dang tehelper program. still having a dilly geting around yet. :P
Don't worry Ginny, we understand what you are trying to say. You will get the hang of it, I'm sure. Hugs Mara
Old Jul 20 2021, 05:38 PM   #5943
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Thank, I still need it to say, a few words, kalh: its and my spellchecker too, :rrofl: . I think its the system is thinking itsxz some to make concrete or hardset?

I still don't know if any of Fan-base Wyer like StarRise Wyer iss still running, I have a NPC potter, and someone else, to try to see if well work, had a idea while with out internet, PC andf its driving me batty.

For some reason, I can't start a post nor where in the place to post a question like that.? NKT had a sub-place for that.

I also been listen to a lot of non pern books, right now one that might owrk for one of the books so we who can't see can enjoy it. Life Wiath Dtragons, or the one by Todd J. McCaffrey about AAnne, just add a reader not, that deszines, are not shown but images of pictures are keep,, when I have my xstaff back to help me post I shall explan on what t on what I am talking about. For trying to post that kind of links is to hard for me right now, even if I recall who to see them up. I a;lso have morte to report, jusrt can';t creat a new with the keystrocks I have at the moment. New Post Update on While I was Gone by GinnyStar is what I as think.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Jul 21 2021, 07:22 PM   #5944
Zelandeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinnyStar View Post

I still don't know if any of Fan-base Wyer like StarRise Wyer iss still running, I have a NPC potter, and someone else, to try to see if well work, had a idea while with out internet, PC andf its driving me batty.
Don't worry Ginny, you'll get the hang of it. Know we'd all happily try to lend a hand if we were closer. I for one really look forward to you getting more comfortable with the hardware and software so you can let us all know what you've been up to.

StarRise Weyr, that takes me back. I contributed to that on and off back around 2000/01 - not a huge amount as schoolwork tended to get in the way, but on and off on a couple of occasions.

-- -- --

Had a proper nose around in the engine bay today for the first time since I picked the Merc up, when a very basic check of "does it have oil and water in?" was done.

Immediate thing which just leaps out at me is how much room there is around the engine on all sides.

Even behind the engine there's about a 6" gap.

Anyone notice anything missing there?

Yep, missing a manifold nut. Looks like the threads are a bit chewed up so we may wind up with a few washers involved. I'm inclined to just leave the stud alone rather than breaking it trying to remove it for replacement. I *have* a spare head and manifold here but I'd rather not have to mess around swapping parts over between them if I can avoid it.

Looks like radiator replacement will need to be moved up the list a bit. Not lost any measurable amount of coolant, but the top tank to core seal is definitely weeping.

Will have a dig around and see what I can find. If there's a drop in all-metal replacement I'd rather go that way as I'm really not a fan of plastic tanked radiators. Having said that I'm kind of curious to see if I can find any date codes on it to see how old this one actually is.

First mechanical job though is definitely going to be setting the valve clearances in the hope the rattle is slightly reduced.

https://youtu.be/TeoJ12AkgOo

As soon as the new rocker cover gasket arrives (a whole £18 from the dealer - going rate on eBay looked to be £20-25) I'll get that done. Then drown the whole engine bay in degreaser and blast the worst of the crud off, as it's honestly disgusting. Every time you touch anything you get covered in oil.

Did notice one nice detail in the engine bay that I'll need to try to remake...you know all that technical info for servicing you're likely to need? Spark plug type and gap, timing details, valve clearances...all right here on the slam panel.

Nice little detail to find. Just a shame it's so faded...wonder if someone sells reproduction engine bay sticker sets for the W123...

Made a run over to the Formula 1 in Newport Pagnell to get her up on the ramps to see if we could find where the exhaust is puffing from. The answer is the second silencer, which has split around the weld on the outer casing on the leading edge. The rest of the system isn't in bad shape actually. Given the degree of grot is visible on some of the body panels the underside looks to be in surprisingly good shape to be honest. Does look like I've got a bit of a fuel leak though - looks to be from the top of the tank, so thinking the seal around the gauge sender is most likely the culprit. Wasn't actively leaking but you could see the evidence of it having run down the side of the tank.

Sadly they can't source any exhaust parts for a car this old (can't say I'm surprised) so I'll need to see if I can track one down...or just go round to Deutsche Tech and get the offending section made up in stainless. I don't like faffing about with exhausts so that is likely what we'll end up going with, as the puffing from it will likely drive me mad.

Quite happy with today's tinkering though. Was pleasantly surprised at the condition of the underside of the car, found the exhaust is actually mostly sound aside from one silencer (which actually looks like a manufacturing defect rather than corrosion), got a price on a set of tyres which is well within my expectations, dealer was helpful, oh...and found this bit of broken trim in the glove box.

Just glue this back together and replace the missing fastener, you'd never notice it was cracked.

Feeling quite positive today. There was a certain degree of "what have I got myself into" creeping in with regards to some areas, but I'm getting more convinced that there is actually a good car here, she just needs a bit of TLC.

Finally got around to getting a couple of photos of her and the van together. These do a good job of showing how much wider than a car the van is too.

I think a couple of paint touch ups, a really good polish, some nice fresh tyres and a new set of number plates will make her look quite different.

The number plates are both pretty knackered.

Front one is cracked around both mounting screws.

The rear one is crack free but is delaminating...plus both are in the post 2001 typeface which on a vehicle of this age bugs my OCD something rotten.

Thinking that given the age just standard acrylic plates make the most sense. Think pressed metal would look like we were trying to pretend to imitate the German ones a bit too hard, which is why they bug me on Golfs etc so much.

Question is whether is just go for a plain plate though or if I try to recreate a dealer plate? Not sure where this car was originally sold. Though I wouldn't be surprised if someone could figure it out!
Old Jul 22 2021, 04:43 AM   #5945
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Pronouns: He/him
Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

Would DVLA have the original place of registration? You could then find the local Merc dealership?

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
Old Jul 22 2021, 04:35 PM   #5946
Mausey

Our excitement for the week was our middle son calling to tell us his car had died and he needed a fix/ride/tow. It ended up being all 3. He had already been talking to somebody about a different vehicle and as of this morning owns a Nissan, midsized suv. It's 5 years newer than the car and has more kilometers but will be better for work than a car. The car is sitting dead in his driveway and will be put up for sale as a parts car.

The past week has been very smoky for us due to fires in British Columbia and the northern U.S. The down side was headaches and limited visibility, the up side was our temps were in the low 20's and not the mid 30's. It was a bit strange waking up to true smog, smoke and very heavy fog. I was out picking berries and my clothes actually got wet the fog was so thick.
Old Jul 22 2021, 05:21 PM   #5947
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Our daughter's boyfriend did not have a vehicle malfunction. But, he decided it was time to trade in his 8 year old reliable Subaru Forester for a 4 door Dodge Ram pickup. Since he teaches high school choir and also directs the yearly musical this will be handy for getting supplies for set building (which he also does most of).

That smoke has reached us here in Connecticut though not as bad as you describe. We have had some amazing sunrises and sunsets.

This morning at 5 am we were serenaded by a pack of coyotes on the front lawn below our second floor bedroom windows. They shrieked, yapped and made other strange noises for a couple minutes, then moved on. There are about 30 acres of woods behind us (not belonging to us) and there are deer, turkeys, raccoons and of course coyotes as well as other smaller animals. We've been here 14 years. I am still waiting to see a bear. Someday!
Old Jul 22 2021, 06:40 PM   #5948
Zelandeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by P'ter View Post
Would DVLA have the original place of registration? You could then find the local Merc dealership?
Originally yes - sadly in these days of GDPR they won't release any data whatsoever. You used to be able to send in a form and a fee and they would send you a copy of every bit of data they held for the life of the vehicle. Nothing these days.

-- -- --

Out and about again today. Stopped in one of the local car parks and grabbed a couple of photos.

These cars really do have quite some road presence. Can't really think of many things which compete in that regard other than the like of Rollers, Tatra T-603...

Really does suit the estate body as well I think, so many estates look clunky or out of balance compared to their saloon or hatchback variants, whereas this shape just works for me.

Gave the interior plastics a really quick wipe down this afternoon with some vinyl & rubber care solution. Never ceases to amaze me how much life that alone can bring back to the interior of a car.

They really were quite dull and chalky.

The interior really is a pleasant place to be. Even in spite of a partly collapsed driver's seat base.

While I had the stuff out, gave a few of the exterior plastics a quick wipe down as well - totally forgetting the grey bit of the radiator grill. Derp.

Noticed while doing this that there's quite a bit of condensation in the nearside headlight.

Given how warm it currently is have just popped the rear cover off it, hoping the weather will dry it out for me. I'll have a closer look to see if I can see any evidence of where water may have got in at a later date.

Courtesy of a local independent locksmith we now have a non manky set of keys, the tatty ones it came with have been relegated to the spares drawer. They both worked fine but the ignition key had long since lost the plastic handle bit so was really awkward to use.

Has reminded me that I still need to get a spare made up for the van, as they have the right blanks will run by there again tomorrow to get one made. Not having a full set of spare keys makes me really uncomfortable... especially as I've locked them in it once already (and had to break in via the gas locker and unbolt the sink from underneath to gain access!).
Old Jul 23 2021, 04:03 PM   #5949
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

i AM TRYTRYING TO READ SOME THE BACK- LOGS OF POST HERE IN THE TREADS, SO IF YOUR FOLKS PLD POST TO PAP UP AS A qUOTE OR SUCH i AM VERY SSORRY.

jUST FOUND A TID-BIT, nk UNSURE HOW FAT BACK ABOUT IT. BUT, i AM
wORKING TO GET ALL MYH LIKS RESTABISH,, i DON'T KNOW IF SOME OF THE OTHER HELPER PROGRAMS ARE HELPIN G OR NOT,, NEED TO HAVE MY HELP ME TRANSFER THE OLD FIOLES TO THE NE ONE.:oo iTS HELP ME MY BAD SPEELING, SOMEWHAT.
TRYHING TO UNDERSTAND HOW THIS KBROWZERl
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Jul 23 2021, 08:28 PM   #5950
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelandeth View Post
386 miles later she is safely home.

So, so nearly made it without incident. We made really good time, after two checks en route to make sure we weren't losing any fluids we were quite happily bowling through the last stint, when on mile 372 of 389, four miles before our exit from the M1 we hit stationary traffic, out of the blue.

At which point we were parked almost motionless for 40 minutes, save for a couple of six foot creeps. On a 29C day, in direct sunlight, being blasted by the output from the radiator of the bus in front of us.

Approximately 39 minutes and 30 seconds into the wait, the engine stopped...and refused to restart...right as the traffic started moving off. In lane 2, on a bit of motorway with no hard shoulder...nor even any provision for pedestrian egress unless I fancied trying to clamber over s six foot tall concrete barrier wall.

Mercifully after about five minutes (however long it took me to get through to the police to report the issue I was causing), she restarted as though nothing had happened.

It felt like classic fuel vapour lock...which I've never personally come across on an injected engine before, but it would be theoretically possible I'd think with a continuous injection system like this as the injectors are essentially poppet valves. There is one thing I will definitely do though related to this incident will be to find the ignition amplifier, clean it up and apply fresh heatsink compound between it and whatever it's bolted to as if that overheated it could have caused our spark to drop out.

Never lost a drop of coolant nor overheated...got warmer than I'd generally like because I'm always wary of overheating, but nowhere near "in the red."

Just really lucky the traffic never got above walking pace until after I got the car going again.

Given the absolutely absurd number of dead cars littering the motorway today though I absolutely don't begrudge her having a momentary temper tantrum. It was pretty much exactly the sort of scenario you'd use for stress testing.

Other than that five minutes of mild panic though she ran absolutely perfectly the whole way.

I fuelled up just before calling it a day so I could calculate my economy, coming out at 30.2MPG. Not exactly going to win any prizes but perfectly acceptable.

Observations:

For all she looks a little care worn cosmetically in a few areas she actually drives incredibly well. The waft is strong with this one. She does have a decent turn of pace though when asked.

It took me until departing the toll booth on the M6 Toll to discover the front seat arm rest...and about another ten minutes to figure out how to deploy it.

That huge, carpet lined cubby where most cars would have the handbrake is absolutely brilliant. I am going to miss that in everything going forward!

Why don't more cars have sunroofs this big?

Cabin is generally a nice place to be...resecuring a couple of bits of trim, sorting the front and rear trim panel headlining and a really good clean will transform it.

Really good rear legroom.

Boot space is absolutely massive...this must be twice the size of the boot in the Lada which is the only other estate I've owned to date.

It's the best part of 15 years since I last drove a W123...and I've definitely been reminded why they have such a strong following...they are cracking cars to drive. Not massively engaging, but a lovely way to waft around.

Really does feel in a lot of ways like a German Saab...and I mean that as a huge compliment.

Definitely glad to have bought it.

The single combined indicator/wiper stalk is something I'm absolutely used to (and like) from the van... though it's on the opposite side of the column. I'd just about stopped flailing around into my keyring when cancelling indicators about the time we got home.

Had forgotten how nice and purposeful a growl these engines make higher in the rev range... it's that perfect blend of refined yet purposeful.

Issues we need to look into:

[] Aforementioned engine cutout incident...clean up, re-thermal goop the ignition amplifier module. In honesty an electric booster fan to help keep under bonnet temps down in traffic wouldn't be a bad thing these days.

[] Oil leaks. Rocker cover is definitely leaking...will sort that, clean up then see what else we find.

[] Valve clearances need setting I think as the top end is a bit tappy. I need to take the rocker cover off anyway so a good time to sort them. Sounds more like valve train than timing chain. It's a bit strange a setup on these engines as they have a central can which is completely hidden under the rockers, but I've done it before so no worries there.

[] Driver's seat base needs some help, feels like the springing has partly collapsed.

[] Secondary bonnet catch release handle is broken.

[] Electric adjustment for nearside mirror doesn't work.

[] Missing pin in NSF interior door release handle.

[] All four door locks loose in doors... already sorted. They all close with the proper solid thud now...love the noise they make, very reminiscent of Volvos.

[] In gear idle is a tad low.

[] Minor exhaust blow from somewhere.

[] Propshaft UJ wants either greasing or replacing as it clonks a bit when switching between drive/reverse.

The brightwork will be getting s polish shortly too...that alone will probably make quite the difference.

Something I always enjoy is nightime dash lighting photos so of course had to grab one. Once I replaced the one blown bulb in the heater blower knob anyway.

Will need to revisit this as the illumination in the button panel above the heater doesn't seem to work currently.

Looking forward to getting stuck into that to do list!

Expect a couple of dozen photos tomorrow.

FI findly found this pos I din't drive, but we had something like this, once, in dcold weater and some bad fuel it was a dusel, and we had to have my kin come and help us, lost time we used fuel fromfrom that place.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Jul 25 2021, 04:13 PM   #5951
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

but its working, so I can post new threads,, got a new cell pphone, and I am gong to back and have them hlhelp them set them up better, for I cna't run it being complete without sight, just say "contacts and not the named won't help me, got rrealy frustrated, when I thnoguth I lost my dad's number, still have my old cell phone. but unsure I can'[t use a 'smart phone' I use a flip phbone' afor I need buttunt and I am unable to swip my finger with my limited finger control, I don't good small morter control. Well my fingers are still doing all right, at long my mind don't get hahead of me,. s

Still learning how to get around with Google
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Jul 25 2021, 07:48 PM   #5952
Zelandeth

Really hope you get the help you need setting the phone up Ginny. I remember we had a lot of trouble getting one for my father a few years ago. I just couldn't seem to get across to anyone that he had neither the eyesight to read the tiny icons on a lot of screens and absolutely didn't have the motor control to operate a touch screen.

The Merc I've just picked up is essentially a wagon twin of one a friend had over in Michigan until a couple of years back - that too was a diesel. I get the impression that diesels in cars over there see a lot more trouble just because they're so much less common. All pump fuel here has additives to prevent issues with it gelling up in the winter. Though I have seen folks have issues when there's been an unexpected sharp cold snap on a couple of occasions.

-- -- --

Couple of things done today...first of which you likely won't be able to see on camera - cleaning the inside and outside of the windscreen. It's nice being able to see where I'm going now. Inside was particularly bad with a really thick, greasy coating on it.

Had a nose around under the bonnet with a view to seeing what I need to move to get the rocker cover off. Doesn't look like it should be too bad.

Found a nut and a few washers so have replaced the missing nut on the exhaust manifold.

Couldn't actually see or hear any sign of it blowing there, but at least I know it's bolted up properly now.

While the exhaust manifold doesn't seem to be leaking, the rocker cover definitely is. Oil everywhere.

I am seriously looking forward to cleaning this engine bay. Not only will it be immensely satisfying, but it will be really nice to not get covered in black grime every time I so much as walk within ten feet of it.

Realised this afternoon that I'm going to need to spend more money before the proper cleaning can start though as my pressure washer died a couple of months ago. This shows that she really needs a good clean outside as well as under the bonnet.

Sadly my pressure washer died a couple of months ago...so I need to replace that sooner than later.

Spotted something that needed immediate attention today...this looks like it might be a vacuum leak.

Yep, that will be letting a bit of air in.

Found another one of these in a similar state over on the offside inner wing. I don't have a diagram of the vacuum system yet so not actually sure what this does just now...There are a lot of vacuum lines on this car as a lot of things operate off vacuum. Central locking and headlight height adjusters to name two.

I'll probably go around and change all of these boot connectors at some point as they're all a bit soft. Thankfully the lines themselves are plastic and still seem in fine shape.

Speaking of rubber that needs changing, the supply line for the self leveling suspension is looking rather sorry for itself.

Will look to get that changed soon. I do need to confirm what type of fluid this uses - though the initial glance at Google seems to suggest that it's basically LHM with a Merc logo on. Which would be nice as I've a load of that in stock. It certainly *smells* like LHM.

I think one of the first non mechanical tasks will be seeing what I can do to straighten this roof lining trim.

This panel needs to come out anyway for two reasons. One is to replace the tailgate gas struts, the other is to fit rear speakers as there currently aren't any.

The moulding is basically fibreboard and I imagine has got wet at some point. Hoping that with a bit of persuasion I might be able to get it to sit flat again. Apparently getting this hooked back in place is a pig of a job so hopefully I'll only need to do it once.
Old Jul 25 2021, 11:14 PM   #5953
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Same thing with my dad, he had cataracts removed, and his knee work on, I I also lost two members of my fa mily, his brother, and my very crafty grandy, the one wwho ornments that I sent over at NTK and PF, I am getting too tired, and wnat to head for bed,, so I can got in the moring, with my staff, he understand me, and is working in the field of speduication eduicatinb, just here till school star, so I only have for a shoirt time, but I think he can help make them understand, I still have the old jphoine that still sppaks so I cdan show th4em whaqt I want, so would dad.

If any pone has the problem of gelling I know a rason that can help,, learned from my dad, but I can't get til later, but if you mix regular gas with the deaseul sp it well un frzeen, I shall post that infort later, Right now I am head for bed.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Jul 26 2021, 04:40 PM   #5954
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen View Post
You had a birthday? Why aren't we notified of such things? Happy birthday, Cheryl!
Cause it ain't that important!

At the bottom of the home page of the forum, the day's birthdays are noted. If you don't notice on the right day, you miss it! You can also look up birthday's on the membership list (under the Community dropdown), for members that have made theirs public.
Old Jul 27 2021, 02:48 PM   #5955
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Quote:
Our daughter's boyfriend did not have a vehicle malfunction. But, he decided it was time to trade in his 8 year old reliable Subaru Forester for a 4 door Dodge Ram pickup. Since he teaches high school choir and also directs the yearly musical this will be handy for getting supplies for set building (which he also does most of).

That smoke has reached us here in Connecticut though not as bad as you describe. We have had some amazing sunrises and sunsets.

This morning at 5 am we were serenaded by a pack of coyotes on the front lawn below our second floor bedroom windows. They shrieked, yapped and made other strange noises for a couple minutes, then moved on. There are about 30 acres of woods behind us (not belonging to us) and there are deer, turkeys, raccoons and of course coyotes as well as other smaller animals. We've been here 14 years. I am still waiting to see a bear. Someday!

My dad .lives inlies still in the place where I grew up, and heeen has deer,, aand tucrkey, one moring, he was telling me that a single,, tom, was trying a group of heens, in our front yard, it was so ffurry, he would work up to his display, "it waas during mating season
and the hens just keep trying find someting to eat,, he tried hos luck on all them, later on he saw a single hen come bacdk with her brood of yhoungs, theyu to gelt spookede by my dad's truck, or jeep aat n but then got use to it, they just keep up what they wrew doing, , from what he thold those wild ones keep down the instect problem for him. This was a gfew year back, just after grandmother had passed away. He I both LOL aboutthat, I've asked him to re-tell that one for me, when I was down, for I enjoy those type of stories, and they do stick in my mind.

Folks have sharing their ost and images on our local news, and with the weather folks, audio description, I can see them, now that I can't see now,. ,

I am still going to do more searching for a different phone, for thisk phone dose not have what I need. I am trying to answer, a few foks and keep you folks updated at them same tome. here.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Jul 27 2021, 03:32 PM   #5956
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Well I also gotthe begingin of one the threads, but it taking me a ong time in the Café Archives was trying 'read' it with JAWS - Jobs Access With Speech also got to bottom, but the starting post,, sent me right to the top. via first letter navigation. Sometime the the word is loss, even with my hearing aids in, part of my hearing loss, and//or its read to fast for me to unders, rimd me of emo? sp on that one. some like a group of smillies running into and speeling something I think, , unsure if it was here or at NKt. Vbut I am waiting to havve my staff to get the "new' book to me by Gigi the thred is arojnd here, via Space Cowboay, in that Thread, Audio able sp, I think you know what I mean here., I hoeppe.

Need to rest myh fingers, for a bit , be back later.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Jul 27 2021, 11:17 PM   #5957
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl View Post
Cause it ain't that important!

At the bottom of the home page of the forum, the day's birthdays are noted. If you don't notice on the right day, you miss it! You can also look up birthday's on the membership list (under the Community dropdown), for members that have made theirs public.
Happy belated birthday. Birthdays are too important.

Old Jul 27 2021, 11:22 PM   #5958
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

A long time ago, Hans did a book, 40 years of Pern. There's a picture of Kibby's cat, Two, reading A Gift Of Dragons. Kibby was hopping someone here has a copy of the picture or can take a pic of the pic that is in the book. I can't find either a copy of the pic, I know we have one, or our copy of the book.
I know where the book was last year at this time. We've done a lot of house rearranging since then.

Old Jul 28 2021, 02:21 PM   #5959
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Right now, in real life, I am haveing my staff help me set up my new pc and cell phone, see What is Happting Thread for more information.

But back to this Thread, I haven';t got around, to download the manger for Audio player, nor transfer all the files, for all my Pern collection, but Gigi book is their aacording to what my staff has pull up for me.,

Sorry, if I am rambling rigfht now I am just a littley ir about my phone for they are acting like they don't understan d my staff, but I hope to join on in the New Book tread, once I get the manger downloadede, to my new computer, I still have one keyy, that I can getto work, but not the othert one, they stop making my little Book Port Plus, while I was out internet, and a "Smart Phone' is to hardfor my father and I to use.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Jul 28 2021, 05:57 PM   #5960
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawra View Post
A long time ago, Hans did a book, 40 years of Pern. There's a picture of Kibby's cat, Two, reading A Gift Of Dragons. Kibby was hopping someone here has a copy of the picture or can take a pic of the pic that is in the book. I can't find either a copy of the pic, I know we have one, or our copy of the book.
I know where the book was last year at this time. We've done a lot of house rearranging since then.
My copy is packed away, unfortunately, or I'd copy it for you. I'll ping Hans and see if he has it handy. I hoped I might have a digital copy of it, but it seems I only have the essays from the book digitally, and not the pictures.
Closed Thread