A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Library Foyer > Events Board

Events Board Information on site-sponsored and member-sponsored events: trivia contests, gathers, etc.

Old Oct 10 2008, 11:36 PM   #1
AnnMarie
Dragonrider
Weyrwoman

Fan of: Pern and Talent
Now Reading: The Name of the Rose
Default Reporting from Albacon

Well, day one is done. Met up with Cheryl, KC and Anneli at Brugers this morning. Anneli and Cheryl were both wearing their tshirts from Eurocon, but to be honest... I recognised Anneli from the portrait Lady M did of her. Then KC opened her mouth and I knew I had the right crew! The four of us did some sight-seeing around Albany, and met up with Uni and her mom, and Cilla and Jeff in the lobby. Lunch was nice enough but a bit expensive. Solitary caught up with us before the Ice Cream Social. A few panels...Anneli and I were talking to Todd for a while. I think I was confusing him. When he first ran into us, it was Cheryl, KC, Anneli (all of whom he's met before) and me... and I wasn't formally introduced. Didn't stop me from teasing him abit about a bag on wheels he didn't seem to go anywhere without. I think he's not sure if he should know me or not. MOST of our crew left the Social heading for the HOT TUB (They wouldn't let me take pictures, Hans! They threatened to splash my camera!) Anneli was beat, and planned to crash. I caught a cab home. Can't do that again. $25!!!

MAYBE more tomorrow night, but I don't know yet.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v24/Bronwyn/Albacon/

Last edited by AnnMarie; Oct 11 2008 at 12:01 AM. Reason: adding link
AnnMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11 2008, 12:03 AM   #2
AnnMarie
Dragonrider
Weyrwoman

Default Re: Reporting from Albacon

Almost forgot! Maelin, ask Anneli what happened on the elevator!
Old Oct 11 2008, 12:20 AM   #3
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Pronouns: She/her
Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Relentless Moon by MRKowal

Hmm, not much to add to that report, though perhaps I'll write my own a bit later. The hot tub was fabulous, met a couple of interesting people (and one that one that was...not).

And Maelin, do ask Anneli for the elevator tale, I think you will get a kick out of it.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11 2008, 12:41 AM   #4
unicorntig
Dragonrider

Candidate

Fan of: Pern Series

Hello everyone!! Albacon has been a lot of fun so far. I don't have much to add either to AnnMarie's report. Though I will say our one hot tub friend was entertaining to say the least, haha. It's been amazing for me to finally meet everyone and I'm looking forward to the rest of the weekend here!!
Old Oct 11 2008, 05:53 AM   #5
Hans
Master Archivist

Great report AnnMarue :kiss

No Hot Tub Pictures

AnMarie, your photobucket needs a password

Great to hear you're all having fun

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11 2008, 09:37 AM   #6
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Okay, time for my more formal report. I'll start back on Thur.

I left home around 10 am, with my kids practically pushing me out the door (they had received new games on their birthday party over the weekend and were eager to try a new one with Grandma). I had a leisurely drive to Newark airport, and the parking lot I knew I wanted was easy to find. I arrived plenty early, so I got my laptop out of the trunk and looked up Anneli and KC's flight status that way (and it turns out I got better information online than I did later inside the terminal, so that was a good thing).

After a little bit of extra gratuitious websurfing (and posting on MoM!), I headed inside. I walked past what had been our desginated meeting spot as there was a much better place to sit and see people as they came through passport control. But then it turned out that that Anneli had landed in a different terminal entirely so she didn't come through the spot I was watching and she of course waited in the right spot. Luckily her cell phone worked and I was properly chastised for not being there. Then we went back to the spot I found to watch for KC. Not too much later she finally made it through and we got underway to Albany.

We did have a bit of fun getting out of the airport, or rather circling back towards the airport because my stupid nav system thought I hadn't gone to the airport yet and was directing me back there, but I got it adjusted quickly once I figured that out and then we got going the right way. The fall foliage was lovely on the drive; trees are just starting to turn so I'd say at least 50% are still green, but the colors were gorgeous on those that were turning.

We arrived aroung 6 pm if I remember correctly, and wended our way to the lobby the long way from the parking garage (due to construction and not knowing the shorter way). We got checked in okay and they were even nice enough to put us all in a row on the 8th floor we were hoping just for the same floor, but this is even better--KC and I even have a connecting door which is handy. Before making it upstairs we ran into the Wombat and had trouble extracating ourselves from conversation until one of his helpers happened by and noticed Anneli all but asleep on her feet (it was midnight Oslo time by then). After dumping stuff in our room we came down for a dinner in Kelsey's Pub in the hotel (thanks KC!), which revived both Brits, so we stayed and chatted a bit longer than necessary to finish our meals, and then finally parted for the night.

I called AnnMarie that night and got directions to a breakfast spot, where we met up the next morning. I thought when I spotted her in line behind us that she was quite possibly who we were looking for, but she didn't say anything right away and I thought our EuroCon tshirts would nicely indicate who we were. But as she posted above, it was all sorted out soon and we enjoyed a nice breakfast together. Then she took us on a lovely walking tour of downtown Albany, which was capped of with a trip to the top of Corning Tower some 40 or so stories tall, which gave a lovely view of the whole area.

Then it was back to the hotel were we soon met up with Laura (Unicorntig) and her mother, and a bit later Cilla and hubby Jeff arrived. We had lunch in the hotel pub again (and had lousy service! not going back there again!), and then parted. Some headed off to find a liquor store, and some hung out and got registered for the con. By the time we met back up, Brie (Brighid) and her mum had arrived.

Some of us went to a panel at the official 4 pm starting time of the con, which was about what the writer writes versus audience expectations, which was lead by Steve Miller and Sharon Lee (of the Liaden Universe fame), and had several other panel members as well. The panel was largely interesting, but the room was stifling hot so we were glad when the hour ended. I skipped the next hour and was going to attend one after that but heard that KC had bumped into Tami (Solitary) finally who was going to be back down shortly. Since I here primarly to meet people and only secondarily for the con, I skipped the Music in SF panel -- and heard from Anneli that that was a wise decision.

We all started gathering back up, and then soon enough it was 8 pm and time for the ice cream social! After having had a late lunch, some Ben & Jerry's made the perfect small dinner. I have pictures of all of us eating our ice cream. During the social there were brief remarks from the Wombat and from Todd. After we'd all finished our ice cream (well, except for KC who decided to double dip!), it was declared to be hot tub time. Some were done for the night and went home/to bed. The hot tub was just lovely, as were most of the people we met (though mostly it was just our crew), and we stayed until the kicked us out at 11 pm.
Old Oct 11 2008, 11:53 AM   #7
Hans
Master Archivist

Great report Thank you!

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Oct 11 2008, 11:56 AM   #8
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

Great! I'm glad you had such a brilliant time.
Old Oct 11 2008, 01:11 PM   #9
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

OH AnnMarie and Cheryl... it sounds like you're all having a fabulous time together...geeeez I wish we could have been there with you...we really enjoy Hot Tubbing too, and Ice cream. Seems MoMers have to eat ice cream whenever they meet up, as we were all face first into the ice cream right before our boat tour in Copenhagen...LOL

AnnMarie...password P L E A S E....I really want to see your photos. I have a feeling I know at least part of the elevator story...does it have something to do with FART...ROTFL!!! You brought real tears to my eye this morning when I read the part about you recognizing Anneli by my portrait of her. I so much wanted to meet you...and hope that my *HUGE HUG* got to you via Cilla. I will be looking forward to more of your meeting up stories and photos.

HAVE A FANTASITC DAY TOGETHER MoMer's...

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12 2008, 12:48 AM   #10
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Right then, another day done for me.

Fortuitiously this morning, KC, Anneli, AnnMarie and I were all ready within minutes of each other. We headed via car to a grocery store to get goodies for Anne and snacks for ourselves. Then we had a lovely large breakfast after a quick stop for more wine. Then it was on to the train station so KC could get a ticket for post-con and Anneli bought stamps, then back to the con just slightly after high noon.

I joined a panel on cover art at that point, which talked about the trends seen in what sort of covers the publishers thought would sell. There's been a clear transition from the "scene in the book, usually with multiple key characters" to "single person in closer view" and now sometimes "single iconic image" for those books they think might appeal to a mainstream audience as well as the SFF genre readers. Also learned that it used to be somewhat standard for the cover artist to be given a few chapters to read and then more up to the artist to decide what to depict, as opposed to today when they get a brief blurb and then a longer description of the imagery the art director wants.

After an hour break it was time for Todd's Guest of Honor speech. He was humorous as usual, and meandered through a number of topics including his history writing (back to when he had no interest doing what his mother did!) to present, though the genesis of some of his books and some of Anne's, and many other subjects I'm forgetting I'm sure.

Next I fetched books to be signed by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller and enjoyed a short chat with them. It was nice that their line was short, so that I had the chance to get my pile of 10 books all signed (and didn't hold up anyone behind me as I cycled back to the end).

Then I wanded through the art show, which was small but had some nice pieces (Magnus and Loki are a cute cat and mini-dragon pair that get into mischief together, definitely worth a look) and some less than impressive works, which of course is typical.

Then it was time for "McCaffrey Minus Pern" which was supposed to talk about all of Anne's series besides Pern. Unfortunately two of the three panelists were late, and none were really prepared to say anything in particular and thus simply opened it up to questions. It could have been a quite interesting panel given the topic but instead fell quite short.

Next it was the banquet which went 100 times better than EuroCon's did last year. Tasty food served hot and not in cramped conditions. Then I drove AnnMarie home, and then found much of our group playing Werewolf with Todd (got a lovely pic of him leading things, too!). After that game ended we headed to get our suits and back to the hot tub for another relaxing soak. Met more interesting people, who recognized our group as the "ones with the shirts" (today was the day we wore the shirts made for AlbaCon). Again we stayed until the tub closed at 11 pm, then it was back to Werewolf for some while others were for bed - like myself.
Old Oct 12 2008, 01:18 AM   #11
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

No photos for show and tell, password please!

Enjoy all the stories though!

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12 2008, 01:48 AM   #12
unicorntig
Dragonrider

Candidate

Hello everyone!! Today was lots of fun again!! I'll plan on making a full report when I arrive back home and have some time to actually sit and write. I attended panels most of the day, spent some brief time taking part in making a horror movie and then had the honor to have dinner with Todd McCaffrey!! The conservation was great and he really helped me understand the thought process behind his books. I looked forward to sharing some in my official report. That's it for now as it’s late and I spent most of the night playing werewolf... addicting game!!
Old Oct 12 2008, 04:46 PM   #13
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

Kibby and I spent every night at Dragoncon playing Werewolf. I would have to drag Kibby back to the room. It is an addiction.

Hello my name is Mawra and I am a Werewolf addict.

HEEE HEEE I wish I could find my cards.

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12 2008, 08:13 PM   #14
AnnMarie
Dragonrider
Weyrwoman

Before anyone hangs me.... the guest pasword is albacon

Saturday: as Cheryl said, I met up with her, CK and Anneli around 9 am, and off we went to do some shopping, and across the river to get KC's train tickets. It's a good thing Cheryl's got a nav system in her car, because it's been so long since I have actually driven around Albany... I got lost getting to the interchange!
The Music in SF panel would have been MUCH better without a certain few souls...one of which was just a pain, and one rather juvenille artist who was stuck in there only because he plays the drums.
And No, Maelin... there is no farting involved in the elevator story.
I hit the art show...but I hit the dealer's room even harder. I now have the entire TOWER AND HIVE series in hard cover, plus the three Pegasus books in paperback, and Restoree, which I never actually read more than two pages of, and GET OFF THE UNICORN. I also picked up NO ONE NOTICED THE CAT and IF WISHES WERE HORSES for the Munckin for Christmas.
I really enjoyed Todd's humor, both yesterday at the Guest of Honor slot, and today at his reading... the short story he wrote for Dragon Con, full of puns, was funny enough to keep me even on those refrences I missed.
As Cheryl said, "McCaffrey Minus Pern" fell flat on its face, and I found the mod a bit scary, actually. (Yeah, I did post a picture)
What Cheryl didn't mention about dinner.... the hotel staff came looking for me toward the end of it. I was teriffied when the man came in and asked if I was there. Turns out Old Wolf wasn't sure if he had to pick me up or not, and my mother HAD to know what was going on. (NEXT time, I am just going to get a hotel room and stay PUT!)
This morning, Cheryl very kindly came and got me, so we were back in time for the "ANNE MC CAFFREY and ME" panel, of which Sharon Lee was part. It was SOOOOOO much better than the lame excuse the night before! After that, we all went different ways, meeting back up at 2 to go find some lunch...which proved to be harder than expected, but the deserts (for those who had them) were probably worth it. I went and got my stuff from Cheryl's room, and Luann and Laura gave me a lift home. We left right after Cilla, Jeff and Anneli.

All in all, it was a wonderful experience, and I am looking forward to doing it again. Probably NOT at ElfCon, however! (Unless I win a major lottery in the next six months or so!)
Old Oct 12 2008, 08:15 PM   #15
AnnMarie
Dragonrider
Weyrwoman

Oh, and Maelin.... I knew Cilla when she was walking in the door ALSO from your portrait of her. We all resemble our portraits... but Cilla's looks the MOST like hers out of this weekend's crew!
Old Oct 12 2008, 08:55 PM   #16
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

I am glad you all had fun.

Old Oct 12 2008, 09:02 PM   #17
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Great pics.,AnneMarie

Old Oct 12 2008, 09:17 PM   #18
unicorntig
Dragonrider

Candidate

Friday

Hello everyone!! Time for my official report from Albacon, I’m going to post each day’s report in a separate threat, so they’re not too long. My Mom and I left Friday morning around 9am to head out to Albany, lucky for us we’re only about 2 hours away. We arrived at the hotel around 11am, got settled into our rooms and then went to help out a bit with set-up. At that point the staff was a little disorganized, so we only did a few things before heading back to our rooms. At 1pm we might up with Cheryl, AnnMarie, Anneli and KC for lunch. It was so nice to meet everyone for the first time. I recognized some by their portraits, great job Lady Maelin! Just as we were about to enter the hotel pub, Cilla and her husband Jeff arrived. As Cheryl already mentioned the lunch and service wasn’t the best, but the company was amazing!! After lunch my mom, Anneli, AnnMarie and myself went on a quick liquor run to pick up some wine. Prices at the hotel were really expensive, so we decided to improvise, haha. Once we got back my mom and I registered for the convention and got our badges. KC was nice enough to give me her extra crystal singer ribbon (thanks again ), as they ran out by the time my mom and I got there. Before going to any of the panels my mom and I checked out the dealers room. There were more book sellers than I’ve ever seen in one room before, but I suppose variety isn’t always a bad thing. I drooled for a bit over a signed pretty copy of Dolphins of Pern, and then shook my head as I wanted to save money for the art auction. Cilla actually ended up buying that copy towards the end of the convention. Enjoy!! The first panel I attended was Music in SF, which was interesting to say the least. There were definitely some odd characters at this convention. After that we all headed to the ice cream social and then it was time for the hot tub. We had some good conversations again and funny moments with our disney loving friend.
Old Oct 12 2008, 09:24 PM   #19
unicorntig
Dragonrider

Candidate

Saturday

On Saturday, the first panel I attended was Dragons in SF. The panel was interesting enough, though I didn’t recognize half the dragons they mentioned. I admit, I’m slightly biased to Pernese dragons, lol. My mom and I then headed down to the dealers room to check out the art show. We bid on several pieces including some by Theresa Mathers and others by Sarah Clemens (whom Cheryl mentioned in her report). Todd McCaffrey was outside the dealers room signing autographs, so I got some things signed by him and had a short conversation. I then headed up to the panel on Tolkien and quite enjoyed learning some things about author and book I never knew before. I checked the pieces of art I’d bid on after and then spent the next couple hours afternoon in Todd/Pern panels.

Both my mother and I are big Star Trek fans and after waiting an hour for the group to arrive, we got to watch the newest episode, Blood and Fire, parts 1 and 2. The episodes are produced in conjunction with Star Trek Phase 2, a group of fans who wanted to continue where the original series left off. The episodes are good and have kept up to par with the original series. The cool part is that they have some of the old actors come and take part in the episodes and also have the original writers contributing to the scripts. Unfortunately we didn’t get to the end of part 2 as the banquet was starting, but I’m looking forward to it coming online in December. We also got some t-shirts which normally aren’t available to the public, since the panel was late.

The banquet was a lot of fun for me because I had the honor to sit with Todd McCaffrey. We had some good dinner conservation about his and Anne’s books. I had wondered like many other people why Todd keeps bringing back the plaque into his book series and overall where his ideas and inspiration is coming from. He told me that while reading his mom’s books, that he thought she left a lot of loose ends with some of the things that happen in the series. These included the secret rooms in Benden for instance and watchweyr’s in general. So pretty much the idea behind his books is to explain all these loose ends. As far as why does Todd keep writing about sickness and plaque? The answer is he’s using one of Anne’s old tricks, which is writing about the same thing but from different points of view. I think this is a cool thing for Todd to do. His writing is certainly not like his mother’s, but then again I’d be a little worried if it was. I like the fact that Todd is taking Pern in his own direction and writing about events that happened in a different pass. Nothing can certainly ever replace or replicate Anne’s writing, but Todd does a good job of keeping Pern alive. So overall, I was excited to learn the reasoning and though process behind Todd’s books.

After the banquet it was time for our group picture, which came out lovely in AnnMaries photo album. Though I do have to admit AnnMarie you captured me in the weirdest poses, lol. Finally it was time to play some werewolf (FUN GAME!!) and relax in the hot tub.
Old Oct 12 2008, 09:24 PM   #20
unicorntig
Dragonrider

Candidate

Sunday

This morning the first panel I attended was on Hayao Myazaki’s disney anime films. A British guy came in to talk about the history behind the flying machines used in Myazaki’s films. The talk was probably the best I’ve been to all weekend. I really enjoyed learning where the animation artists got their inspiration for all the various flying crafts in Myazaki’s films. I met up with my mom after that panel and had a quick breakfast. She had already been down to the art show and 4 of the 6 pieces we bid on, were going to the voice auction. LOL, don’t worry guys, I wasn’t planning on spending like crazy, most of the pieces were under $15. After that it was time for a reading by Todd! He first read a short story full of puns about Dragoncon. It was highly entertaining and lots of laughs were to be heard. Next we got a special sneak peak at the first 2 chapters of his newest Pern book DragonHeart! I must admit from what I heard so far I can’t wait for it to come out on November 11th.

We spent some more time hanging out and talking with various people and then by 1pm it was time for the art auction. Now being that this was the first auction I’d ever been to… it was quite interesting. I had already looked up the artists pieces I was interested in online, so I knew how much I’d wanted to bid, before I’d just give up and just buy them online. This one lady was quite mean and vicious about the pieces she wanted. She bid against me for several of the pieces, but as I said before when the price got to high I stopped bidding. Thankfully by the end I was able to get 3 of the 6 pieces I wanted and then ordered the other one online… for a much lesser price I should mention than the lady who bid me out at the auction. Hahahaha.

Finally we ended the day by having lunch at this nice bar in downtown Albany. It was a little sad leaving everyone, but you definitely all gave me a wonderful weekend to remember. Cheryl, KC, Anneli, AnnMarie, Cilla and Bre… I hope to meet up with all of you again someday!! Thanks for an awesome weekend!!
Old Oct 13 2008, 02:21 AM   #21
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Pronouns: SheShe
Fan of: PShPern BB, Tia., and Oth
Now Reading: MHOP, Books Jerry Apps, Too Many to Post

Well great reports all. I feel like I there, and well have to look at the images later, for I have to get up early.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13 2008, 04:24 AM   #22
Hans
Master Archivist

Thanks for all the great reports! It's great reading that you all had a great time

And AnnMarie, thanks for the wonderful pictures

Old Oct 13 2008, 08:22 AM   #23
Brighid
Dragonrider

Fan of: Pern series
Now Reading: History of Tea

AAAHHHHHHRRRRRGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

Where did My POST GO?

I.......just.......sniff, lost......my.......post, sniff. It was......hiccup, all done. Now my wrist hurts.

well, I had a great time this past weekend and I will try to recap it later.
Brighid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13 2008, 09:02 AM   #24
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Fan of: No One Noticed The Cat

I'm enjoying reading everyone's take on Albacon, nice to see it through different eyes. This is what I posted at AMCF and I'll be lazy and just copy paste, with perhaps a few additions:

We had a great time at Albacon. Because it was such a small convention the panels were very up close and personal. Most that I went to you could sit right in the front row and talk directly to the panel, asking questions and being able to hear without wondering who the specks were waaaay at the front of a huge hall. And, all the panelists were walking around the con all day long and very willing to stop and talk about any thoughts you'd had about a panel they'd done. My husband and I got invited to have lunch on Saturday with Mary Turzillo (Brizzi) and her husband Geoffrey Landis. It was just that sort of relaxed, easy going atmosphere. The only part that wasn't great was that the dealers' room was mostly book sellers. There was one seller of tee shirts and one selling stuffed animals/puppets. That was a bit disappointing, but I still managed to spend money anyhow. Yes, I did spend money. I bought a leather bound copy of Dolphin's Bell at the dealers' room, No. 8 of 50, signed by Anne. Everyone else from MoM was congratulating me, I guess it was somehow important, or something?! I spent $125 on it, and then told Jeff "Merry Christmas, from you to me!" Well, after 29 years of being married that's pretty much how things work with us. I could go into daily details but everyone else has done such a great job I think I'll just say that it was wonderful meeting everyone and seeing kc again! Now, Anneli is visiting us for a couple days, and THAT is the best part of Albacon for us! Yaaay!
Priscilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13 2008, 01:11 PM   #25
AnnMarie
Dragonrider
Weyrwoman

Cilla, you're right. The BEST part of Albacon was getting together and meeting fellow MoMers!!!
Old Oct 14 2008, 12:49 AM   #26
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Posting to say I got home safe, mid-afternoon, and had a good day catching up with my family. Will post my final report tomorrow hopefully, and start catching up on the all the posts I didn't read whilst on vacation!

It was great meeting y'all!
Old Oct 14 2008, 12:52 AM   #27
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

AnnMarie, thank you so very much for the great photos, especially the one with all of you in the MoMer shirts...it really does look like you all had a marvelous time gathering at Albacon. I only wish that we could have come and also met you and the other MoMers that were there, that I don't already know.

P.S. AnnMarie it sure looks like you enjoyed meeting Todd...he certainly can be very charming can't he...WINK!!!

To Cheryl Anneli and KC...you three all look fantastic as usual, and all these photos just make me miss the three of you all the more...I am so glad that you all had a great time together.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old Oct 14 2008, 03:39 AM   #28
Hans
Master Archivist

A big thank you to all reporting MoMers, you've been wonderful

There was only one thing missing...

Old Oct 14 2008, 09:09 AM   #29
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Yes dear. It was you and many others! (Oh, and I'm betting you really mean hot tub pics. Sorry, no pics! )
Old Oct 14 2008, 01:47 PM   #30
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Time for my final report, before I forget too much!

On the final morning I went to pick up AnnMarie in the morning, running in to Brie on my way which may well be the last anyone saw of her. Then many of us went to the "McCaffrey and Me" panel which was largely enjoyable -- and rather like a verbal version of our 40 Years of Pern book. I especially enjoyed learning Sharon Shin's story of how she found Dragonflight, in the drugstore next to the grocer she was sent to to purchase spaghetti for dinner. After reading 20 pages of it, the shop keeper grumbled at her to buy it or go as he wasn't a "liberry", and she happily spent the grocery money on it...the first of several times she had to explain to her mother why they had nothing to eat. The only minus to that panel was when it was explained that it was being taped to be sent to Anne, which one of the panelists hadn't known and not all the audience. After that people were clearly more self-conscious and also at times would talk directly to the camera to address Anne. I guess for me that broke the natural flow of the discussion and I wasn't impressed.

Next I went to a panel on implying other languages in your writing, without actually using a lot of made up words. It was interesting as well as funny as the panelists played off of each other. Some of the suggestions included being sure to create colloquialisms, metaphors, slang, and swearing that fit the culture of your foreign-speaking peoples. Also to study proper grammar and then have your foreign-speakers subvert it in a regular way, perhaps borrowing the syntax of a foreign language you know.

Next I went to a reading by Steve Miller and Sharon Lee. They read from their new novel Duainfey (pronounced Dune-fay), which is a dark fantasy/fairytale, rather than their usual space opera. I had been hoping that's what they'd read since it's different from their other work, and found it was just as enjoyable. The basic story follows some early American colonials whose lands border on those of the fey (fairies), and their interactions.

After that we slowly started to gather up, and I made a last trip to the dealer's room. Then we went out for a late lunch. Being in the downtown business district we found most places were simply closed on the weekend but we finally found a lovely pub that was open but empty, so that we got to take it over for a private meal. That was quite lovely, and reminded me of our first night's dinner in Copenhagen last year when we had the upstairs room to ourselves.

After that the MoMers started to go their separate ways, with just three of us staying for one last night. KC packed, I read, and Tami went to call her family to check on her mother who'd had a fall. KC and I wandered around a few times to see if there was any last con stuff going on; there'd been mention of the possibility of a last game of Werewolf. But we never found where anyone else was hanging out, as we never thought to check the party floor... Eventually we went to the hot tub for a last boil, and as the other nights we meet a couple interesting people. We never did see Tami again that evening.

The next morning I finished my packing and then KC and I loaded up my car and I dropped her at the train station. I continued on my way home from there, and was home by 3 pm.
Old Oct 14 2008, 02:45 PM   #31
Hans
Master Archivist

Thank you Cheryl, and the others too, so much for reporting so extensively, it really means a lot to me

Old Oct 14 2008, 03:48 PM   #32
Brighid
Dragonrider

Fan of: Pern series
Now Reading: History of Tea

ok I'll give this one more try.

Yes Cheryl, on Sunday the last that mom and I saw of anyone was you at breakfast. We decided that although there were some panels that we still wanted to go to they were to late for us to get home at a reasonable hour with stopping at the wildlife refuge on the way. So we decided to head out early and have a leisurely day at the montezuma refuge. Where we both proceeded to take lots of pictures of the pretty grasses and birds. I am quite sad to admit that my digital zoom was enabled and it has made many of my pics very grainy. Fortunately I have a few that came out fair but not as many as I would have hoped for.

So, the con was a blast! Mom and I headed out friday morning and made our way to Albany. We missed our turn onto Broadway but with the help of some very friendly albany residents we found ourselves at the hotel around 1:30pm. We met up with everyone but Solitary and Anneli after they had finished lunch said some quick hello's and then headed to lunch ourselves.

Mom and I checked out a few panels, which were very neat, but found that the book dealers room was just to much fun to stay away from. That and the art show was very interesting, I really like the Magnus and Loki stuff and plan on ordering from the website once I have a den to put them in.

Let's see, mom was still limping most of the weekend but she insisted that walking around was a good thing so I tried to be conscientious of her knee without irritating her to much......I think it worked, I don't remember any heavy sighs of frustration at least. On friday night at least we joined some of the MoMer's at the hot tub and for the most part it was fun. Our disney friend made the night not quite as relaxing as it could have been, but.....oh well. I was quite happy when mom said she was tired.

It was really nice getting to meet everyone from the forum but it was also VERY nice to be able to relax in the hotel room and just read. The both of us have been so busy lately that neither of us has found the time get any leisure reading accomplished.

Um......I think that takes care of the highlights, I wish I hadn't lost my original post......
Brighid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14 2008, 07:30 PM   #33
AnnMarie
Dragonrider
Weyrwoman

The only thing I really missed about this weekend...Brie and her mom didn't sign the Kidling's shirt! Which, by the way, she wore to school today. Currently, she's stretched out devouring DRAGONSONG.
Old Oct 14 2008, 07:40 PM   #34
AnnMarie
Dragonrider
Weyrwoman

For Maelin, especially.

Old Oct 14 2008, 11:14 PM   #35
Katanna
Inactive

Fan of: The Pern Series
Now Reading: Blue Adept

Wow, nice reports everyone! It sounds like you had a really exciting time!

Oh, does Maelin like to read the Animorphs series? (Noticed one of the books sticking out on her bookshelf.) I like that series, too! I wasn't sure if they would be good, but my mom bought a bunch of them from a garage sale, and I started reading them, and ended up liking them! Lol!
Katanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15 2008, 02:19 AM   #36
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

Katanna- that's Annemarie's daughter. Maelin is the lady who drew the picture on the t-shirts
Old Oct 15 2008, 01:10 PM   #37
AnnMarie
Dragonrider
Weyrwoman

Katanna...
Don't know about Maelin, but Dancer(That clutter is hers) does like some of the Animorph books. She aslo got them via a garage sale. And the MYSTERIES IN OUR NATIONAL PARKS series that Brenda clued us in on.SHe's read all 13 so far!
Old Oct 15 2008, 03:44 PM   #38
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

AnnMarie...OOOoooOOO I don't think my portrait has looked better on anyone...well other than Anne herself. I only wish I could have been there to sign Dancer's shirt for her myself. Thank you so much for the incredibly cute photo of Dancer, she is a beautiful girl. OH!!! What I wouldn't give for all that lovely long curly hair she has.

Katanna...Welcome to MoM...and no I'm afraid the above photo isn't me. Geeez... I haven't been Dancer's age for a very, very long time......although I will admit I have enjoyed each and every age I have been, with equal fun.

Old Oct 15 2008, 05:48 PM   #39
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

We managed to sssstrrrretttttch Albacon out by a few days, by bringing Anneli home with us and showing her our house, the general area, and where we used to live. That took one day, so yesterday she and I went up the coast to Niantic to the Book Barn and feasted on many more books than is probably healthful - causing her to have to stop in at Walgreens and pick up a small bag to fill with books to put on the plane. We did have fun, though. Then last night we had dinner at the Chowder Pot (well, if The Clamdiggr can't find good chowder, I should just give up! ) which she pronounced so good that next time she's having a cup of it, followed by a bowl! Good seafood. We got her settled on the limo down to the airport, and I suspect she's nearly there by now, and getting ready to check in and wait for the plane. A wondrous weekend, I wouldn't have missed it!
Old Oct 16 2008, 03:47 AM   #40
Hans
Master Archivist

It's great to hear you both had a wonderful weekend. It sounds like heaven, because, what's better thn good company, books and great food? I would have loved to be there with you!