A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Exhibit Hall

Exhibit Hall For the exhibition of artistic creations by our members, from poetry and prose to drawings, photography, and digital art.

Old May 27 2006, 08:33 AM   #1
Saylea
Inactive

Fan of: Master Robinton
Now Reading: Mutants On Genetic Variety and the Human Body
Default Weyrsinger, A short story

This is a story I came up with in my junior year of highschool. My English teacher had told us to write a short story. I decided to write a story for Pern because my teacher was like me she loved the Pern Series. I hope you all enjoy it.

Weyrsinger

A’neia sighed when she heard the argument coming down the tunnel to the Records Room. “I’ll never get through these smelly old records.” She groaned at her gold dragon Arnuth.
Arnuth answered sleepily, It’s Netarth and Fitath’s riders again.
Now A’neia could hear their words clearly echoing down the tunnel to the records room. “No L’nen you are sweep riding over the hold this morning!”
“No if you remember correctly, my dear brown-riding brother, the Weyrleader asked you to sweep ride.” Admonished L’nen, “Or did you forget because you were drunk!”
“Let’s just talk with A’neia!” retorted R’ner.
A’neia threw a lock of her brown hair over her shoulder, sometimes being the Weyrsinger had its disadvantages. She constantly had to mediate between riders when they had petty arguments, not to mention keeping the records up to date. The one advantage was that she got to teach the young children of the weyr. She sighed then thought That’s what I get for being a Harper before I impressed. She then looked up from the moldy record as the brothers entered.
L’nen said, “A’neia convince this inflexible brown rider that he is to do the sweep this morning not me!”
R’ner replied, “I‘m pretty sure you are supposed to do the sweep this morning L‘nen. After all the Weyrleader told you last night at dinner to do so”
“No the Weyrleader told you to so the sweep R’ner but you drank too much wine and are convinced that it was me he was talking to.” L’nen stated
Diplomacy, A’neia thought, Listen to both sides of the argument.
“L’nen, R’ner please calm down. Now one at a time tell me what is wrong.”
L’nen started to speak but was interrupted by R’ner, “L’nen is trying to get out of a sweep ride this morning by claiming that the Weyrleader told me to do it. But I remember the Weyrleader clearly saying , ‘L’nen you have the mid morning sweep tomorrow.’ That’s what he said.”
L’nen’s eyes flashed then he said, “You were drunk last night R’ner how do you remember the Weyrleader saying anything at all?”
R’ner started to retort when A’neia held up a hand, “ Hold a moment you two.” She then woke Arnuth, Please ask Shertath which one of these two were supposed to ride the mid morning sweep. I can’t settle this if they keep arguing instead of talking to me.
Arnuth was silent for a moment then replied, Shertath says that the Weyrleader told Fitath’s rider to do the mid morning sweep. He adds that if Fitath’s rider has a problem with this then he can always stand the mid-watch tonight.
A’neia then looked at the two riders and spoke, “Arnuth just bespoke Shertath and informs me that you are to do the sweep R’ner, unless of course you want to stand mid-watch tonight.”
She smiled to herself at the slyness of Weyrleader R’tir it was common knowledge that R’ner had a new weyrmate and spent most of the night in her quarters. The whole weyr had known when brown Fitath had flown E’nia’s green Delterth.
R’ner’s eyes widened then he said, “No I’ll do the sweep. Fitath inform Shertath that I am on my way now.” He quickly strode out of the Weyr and headed to his dragon awaiting him in the Bowl.
L’nen turned to her and apologized, “I tried to tell him but you know how he is. Sorry to have bothered you A’neia.”
“That’s what a harper is for L’nen. Its my job to try to mediate disputes.” she replied.
As L‘nen strode back up the tunnel he called, “Maybe but its not your sharding job to get an annoying brown rider to follow the Weyrleader‘s orders.”
“You know you love him.” she called back laughing. “After all he is your brother.”
“Ha sometimes I wonder.” was the last thing she heard as Netarth took off.
She grinned to herself both L’nen and R’ner were always arguing they had been since they were little boys. Both of them had been searched from the Harper Hall the same day as her, but they had only been Apprentices. She had been a Journeyman with several years of Harpering experience. That was why when she impressed Arnuth she had been made the Weyrsinger as old Master Feleer had to retire to South Boll due to his failing health.
A’neia shook her head to clear it of these memories and went back to trying to decipher the blotted words of the old record.
She then heard a chuckle from the top of the stairs, “Are you sure those two were harpers before they impressed?”
A’neia looked up to see Weyrwoman L’tea standing at the tunnel entrance. She was still dressed in riding leathers which told A’neia she had just gotten back.
“Oh they were harpers.” A’neia replied, “Master Defeil didn’t know what to do with them. They were quite the mischievous pair of apprentices.”
L’tea chuckled again then said, “I wondered about them sometimes. Grelarth tells me that my weyrmate is in quite a snit over R’ner’s apparent lack of remembering orders.”
A’neia snorted, “He remembers them just fine he just wanted his brother to do the sweep for him and didn’t count on Arnuth bespeaking Shertath.”
L’tea smiled then stretched, “Well I’m off to see what the cooks have ready in the lower caverns. Need anything?”
A’neia shook her head and looked back at the record. L’tea wrinkled her nose, “I’m glad I turned the job of keeping these records up to date over to you.”
A’neia sighed, “Master Archivist Predel always said I had the neatest handwriting.”
L’tea just nodded in agreement then strode out of the weyr. A’neia could hear Arnuth shifting then she said I am moving onto the weyr ledge so Grelarth can have the couch. After all this is her weyr.
A’neia just nodded, I know lovely and I should be done soon this is the last record I have to transcribe.
Just remember to eat something came the reply as Arnuth settled on the ledge.
A’neia just chuckled in response and returned to copying the record.

It was well into the afternoon when she finished copying. After sitting up and stretching, she discovered she was starving. She placed the new record on the shelf and closed the glow basket. As she walked into the anteroom, she paused to bow to Grelarth.
I’m going to our weyr now, Arnuth said, call me when your ready to return.
A’neia nodded then started down the stairs that led to the bowl floor. As she walked across the bowl she looked up at her weyr to see Arnuth twining necks with her mate Helrith. She smiled as she entered the irregular cavern that served as the Lower Caverns. Upon the table where she usually sat she discovered a fellis bloom.
Arnuth did B’nern leave this? she thought and the only reply was a sleepy rumble. Fine don’t tell me, she thought to her dragon in an admonitory tone as she called her brown fire lizard Mornen to take it to her weyr.
After she collected her food, and began to devour her meat rolls, her friend Wingsecond V’ral entered the cavern covered in dust.
“Dust storms are in the upper levels!” he told her then broke off into a coughing fit. His dragon began to emit worried sounds form the ledge above. “Don’t, cough, worry Veneth, cough cough, I’m all right,” he said.
A’neia got up and poured him a glass of wine and told him to sit in a tone that brooked no contradiction.
V’ral drank the wine, “Thank…” Before he got any farther a young weyrling interrupted, “Sir the Wingleader wants to see you now.”
V’ral glared at the weyrling and said, “Thank you A’neia and you lad you would do better if you didn’t disrupt an older riders sentence.”
“I’m sorry sir but the Wingleader said it was urgent and you were to report now!”
The lad then ran off as V’ral growled, “The Wingleader ought to know better than to let a weyrling speak unrestricted to an older rider.”
“Weyrlings are weyrlings V’ral. A’neia said
V’ral grunted unconvinced and got up from the table to speak with his Wingleader F‘mol.
A’neia had finished a second helping of meat rolls when Mornen, the great actor that he was, landed on her shoulder. He decided to livenup the peaceful cavern by creeling loudly for food. A’niea, as usual, had to convince everyone in the cavern that he was not starving and yet he always seemed to feel he was the victor in this little by-play.
V’ral returned to her table and sighed, “My Wingleader is as stubborn as ever.”
“Why do you say that?”
“Because I have to do a sweep tonight. I could not convince him to choose one of the other riders.”
A’neia smiled sympathetically and said, “ Maybe you can convince the Weyrleader to demote him so you could take his place.”
“Stop being sarcastic A’neia. It doesn‘t befit a harper”
“I’m not,” she replied, “And harpers can be sarcastic. Have you ever listened to the some of them at a gather?”
“Yes!” then he waved at her as if she was dismissed. “But they are usually apprentices not journeyman.”
“Oh so I suppose if someone puts on a journeyman’s knot then they can‘t have a sense of humor?”
“No I … that’s not… A’neia you know that’s not what I meant.” he stuttered until he saw her eyes gleaming with amusement. “Oh you” he growled at her as she stood.
She smiled then walked out of the caverns with Mornen clinging to her shoulder.
“Unfair A’neia.” he called after her and she chuckled.
She was just about to call Arnuth to come pick her up when she heard , “A’neia could you transport the Masterharper back to his hall?” A’neia turned to see the Weyrleader and Master Defeil striding toward her and replied, “Of course Weyrleader.”
He grinned ruefully, “Normally I would ask a weyrling but they are currently in firestone drills.”
A’neia laughed then said, “And Faranth help you if you interrupt Weyrlingmaser G’reton when he is teaching.”
Then she said mentally, Arnuth get down here!
Arnuth propelled herself gracefully off the ledge and landed directly in front of her. A’neia motioned the Masterharper to proceed her, and he bowed and said, “Good day Arnuth.” Then he mounted followed by A’neia. As Arnuth jumped into the air the Masterharper projected his voice so A’neia could hear him, “I remember four years ago when you impressed Arnuth here. I lost one of my best journeyman.”
“I’m sorry sir but you know as well as I the dragon chooses.” she replied then added, “Hang on were about to go between.”
She gave Arnuth the mental order and she felt the Master’s hands tighten just slightly before the blackness enveloped them. When they emerged over the hall he continued, “I know and I don’t blame Arnuth either its just that you did help me for a number of years by gathering information for me. It was hard losing you.”
Arnuth took the final turn and backwinged to land. When the Masterharper had dismounted followed by A’neia she asked, “Did you find another journeyman to take my place?”
“Yes I did and he is doing a good job although he can‘t blend into the background of as many holds as you could.”
He then turned to Arnuth, “I‘d like to thank you Arnuth for conveying me back to my Hall."
My pleasure Master Harper Arnuth replied bowing her head in acknowledgement to his words.
“She says it was her pleasure Master.” A‘neia said smiling at him.
“Please come and visit the hall more often A’neia know that you and golden Arnuth here are always welcome.”
“Thank you Masterharper I think I will.” A’neia said as she vaulted onto Arnuth’s neck. The Masterharper waved as Arnuth jumped into the air then dissapeared.

A’neia returned to the weyr to be enthusiastically greeted by Helrith. Arnuth returned the greeting and glided to their weyr.
Helrith says that B’nern is inside and looking for you Arnuth told her as she backwinged to land.
A’neia slid of Arnuth’s back and stroked her nose as well as Helrith’s as she entered the weyr. Both dragons followed then curled up on the couch together. B’nern was standing in the doorway of the sleeping room a fellis blossom in hand. “Good to have you home.” he murmured then walked over to her and hugged her.
She smiled in reply then asked, “How long did you sleep?”
“I woke up a few hours ago and Helrith told me you were busy copying a smelly old record.” he said
She nodded then sighed, “Thankfully that was the last one. Now all of our records have been transcribed and are legible.”
“Good now I don’t have to sneak into the Weyrleader’s quarters just to see you.” he said placing the fellis blossom in her hair.
She chuckled, “What the brash B’nern afraid that Grelarth was going to tell L’tea you were in her weyr?”
He shuddered, “You should be jealous. She has always liked me ever since Helrith flew Grelarth when Shertath had that wing scoring last year.”
A’neia smiled, “I’m not jealous because I know that even though she finds you attractive she will never leave R’tir. Besides Helrith hadn’t flown Arnuth back then she rose to mate shortly after that flight.”
B’nern smiled then caressed her hair, “Hmm and wasn’t that a glorious flight?” he then leaned down and kissed her neck.
She smiled B’nern was always amorous it was one of his charms. She leaned up and kissed him on the lips, “Yes it was love.” she replied
B’nern smiled then caressed her shoulder suggestively, “You don’t have to do anything until tomorrow right?”
“No not until I have to teach the children in the morning.” she replied smiling up at him, “Actually I was thinking of taking a bath.”
“Hmm mind if I join you?” he purred in her ear
“Not at all love.” she replied striding into the sleeping quarters and into the bathing room beyond.
Have fun Helrith told him as he followed her. Then Helrith settled down draped a wing over his mate and sighed.
You had better believe I will, B’nern responded to his dragon as the curtain to the bathing room fell back over the opening.
Helrith chuckled and nuzzled Arnuth as she sighed and drifted off to sleep. He then laid his head along side hers as Mornen glided in and curled up against the two dragons.
Saylea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5 2006, 08:08 PM   #2
Brenda

Default Re: Weyrsinger, A short story

Okay, some feedback. The story's not too bad, but I had a hard time reading it. First of all, you need to run this through a spell and grammar check - there are a lot of grammar and punctuation mistakes. Also, it would make it a lot easier to read if you add an extra space between paragraphs - and you should always start a new paragraph after dialogue.

If it won't let you edit, make the changes and ask a host to put them in for you!
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6 2006, 05:25 AM   #3
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: PiF

I second what Brenda said. There's certainly a lot of potential in there, but it could do with a bit of work. When it comes to stories, I like alternate possibilities, but female riders shouldn't have elided names. If you use non-canon concepts, I'd suggest putting a short (one line is sufficient) warning as an intro to the story. That'd show that you know Anne's rule but choose to break it. Breaking Anne's rules is okay, as Anne does so herself frequently.
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6 2006, 01:33 PM   #4
Shalyn
Inactive

Location: Loo-a-vull / Luhvuhl / Loo-ih-ville / Loo-a-ville / Looeyville / Lewisville Oh, Heck. Kentuckiana.

Fan of: Dragonflight

The story definitely needs spellcheck, grammarcheck, formatcheck, all of that. It is a good start to "a day in the life of..." type story.

Do you really need to make her a goldrider though? Why not a greenrider? I could see a greenrider having an elided name while it is totally canon that goldriders don't. (And yes, it's also canon that female greenriders don't, but there are a lot of RPGs where the females on fighting dragons have elided names, so it may not be canon but it is fanon.)

I think that after it's formatted and such, you should start with her in the morning, then finish at the evening. It really would be a great day in the life fic!
Shalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26 2006, 05:15 AM   #5
Saylea
Inactive

Thanks for the input and Im getting used to the editing format on this sight and no she doesn't have to be a gold rider. this was the orgional story and of course I can improve on it. Does anyone know how I can edit now that someone has replied?
"Good Doctors come and go. But the great ones have always seen beyond the boundaries of Science, beyond the known. The great ones dare to believe in the unbelievable." Helen Magnus(Amanda Tapping) Sanctuary
Old Jun 26 2006, 08:43 AM   #6
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Pronouns: She/her
Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Relentless Moon by MRKowal

If the post is old enough that it no longer has an edit button at the bottom of it for you, you could re-post the story and I could then paste it in over the original.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is nu online   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3 2006, 08:19 AM   #7
Saylea
Inactive

ok thanks Cheryl I'll do just that
"Good Doctors come and go. But the great ones have always seen beyond the boundaries of Science, beyond the known. The great ones dare to believe in the unbelievable." Helen Magnus(Amanda Tapping) Sanctuary
Old Jul 3 2006, 08:15 PM   #8
Brenda

I suggest that you read the story out loud to yourself to notice where awkward punctuation is. And to repeat myself, I STRONGLY advise you to put an extra space between paragraphs.

All paragraphs.

Even short ones like single lines of dialogue.
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29 2006, 06:21 AM   #9
Saylea
Inactive

Ok Ive made some of the changes you guys suggested and Ive done the spacing brenda so here it goes.

Note: The main characters name has been shortened in the dragon rider honorific even though she is female because her full name is Aleneia.

A’neia sighed when she heard the argument coming down the tunnel to the Records Room. “I’ll never get through these smelly old records.” She groaned at her green dragon Arnuth.

Arnuth answered sleepily, It’s Netarth and Fitath’s riders again.

Now A’neia could hear their words clearly echoing down the tunnel to the records room. “No L’nen you are sweep riding over the hold this morning!”

“No if you remember correctly, my dear brown-riding brother, the Weyrleader asked you to sweep ride.” Admonished L’nen, “Or did you forget because you were drunk!”

“Let’s just talk with A’neia!” retorted R’ner.

A’neia threw a lock of her brown hair over her shoulder, sometimes being the Weyrsinger had its disadvantages. She constantly had to mediate between riders when they had petty arguments not to mention keeping the records up to date. The one advantage was that she got to teach the young children of the weyr. She sighed then thought That’s what I get for being a Harper before I impressed.
She then looked up from the moldy record as the brothers entered.

L’nen said, “A’neia convince this inflexible brown rider that he is to do the sweep this morning not me!”

R’ner replied, “I‘m pretty sure you are supposed to do the sweep this morning L‘nen. After all the Weyrleader told you last night at dinner to do so”

“No the Weyrleader told you to so the sweep R’ner but you drank too much wine and are convinced that it was me he was talking to.” L’nen stated

Diplomacy, A’neia thought, Listen to both sides of the argument.

“L’nen, R’ner please calm down. Now one at a time tell me what is wrong.”

L’nen started to speak but was interrupted by R’ner, “L’nen is trying to get out of a sweep ride this morning by claiming that the Weyrleader told me to do it. But I remember the Weyrleader clearly saying , ‘L’nen you have the mid morning sweep tomorrow.’ That’s what he said.”

L’nen’s eyes flashed then he said, “You were drunk last night R’ner how do you remember the Weyrleader saying anything at all?”

R’ner started to retort when A’neia held up a hand, “ Hold a moment you two.” She then woke Arnuth, Please ask Shertath which one of these two were supposed to ride the mid morning sweep. I can’t settle this if they keep arguing instead of talking to me.

Arnuth was silent for a moment then replied, Shertath says that the Weyrleader told Fitath’s rider to do the mid morning sweep. He adds that if Fitath’s rider has a problem with this then he can always stand the mid-watch tonight.

A’neia then looked at the two riders and spoke, “Arnuth just bespoke Shertath and informs me that you are to do the sweep R’ner, unless of course you want to stand mid-watch tonight.”

She smiled to herself at the slyness of Weyrleader R’tir it was common knowledge that R’ner had a new weyrmate and spent most of the night in her quarters. The whole weyr had known when brown Fitath had flown Elinia’s green Delterth.

R’ner’s eyes widened then he said, “No I’ll do the sweep. Fitath inform Shertath that I am on my way now.” He quickly strode out of the Weyr and headed to his dragon awaiting him in the Bowl.

L’nen turned to her and apologized, “I tried to tell him but you know how he is. Sorry to have bothered you A’neia.”

“That’s what a harper is for L’nen. Its my job to try to mediate disputes.” she replied.

As L‘nen strode back up the tunnel he called, “Maybe but its not your sharding job to get an annoying brown rider to follow the Weyrleader‘s orders.”

“You know you love him.” she called back laughing. “After all he is your brother.”

“Ha sometimes I wonder.” was the last thing she heard as Netarth took off.

She grinned to herself both L’nen and R’ner were always arguing they had been since they were little boys. Both of them had been searched from the Harper Hall the same day as her, but they had only been Apprentices. She had been a Journeyman with several years of Harpering experience. That was why when she impressed Arnuth she had been made the Weyrsinger as old Master Feleer had to retire to South Boll due to his failing health.

A’neia shook her head to clear it of these memories and went back to trying to decipher the blotted words of the old record.

She then heard a chuckle from the top of the stairs, “Are you sure those two were harpers before they impressed?”

A’neia looked up to see Weyrwoman Letea standing at the tunnel entrance. She was still dressed in riding leathers which told A’neia she had just gotten back.

“Oh they were harpers.” A’neia replied, “Master Defeil didn’t know what to do with them. They were quite the mischievous pair of apprentices.”

Letea chuckled again then said, “I wondered about them sometimes. Grelarth tells me that my weyrmate is in quite a snit over R’ner’s apparent lack of remembering orders.”

A’neia snorted, “He remembers them just fine he just wanted his brother to do the sweep for him and didn’t count on Arnuth bespeaking Shertath.”

Letea smiled then stretched, “Well I’m off to see what the cooks have ready in the lower caverns. Need anything?”

A’neia shook her head and looked back at the record. Letea wrinkled her nose, “I’m glad I turned the job of keeping these records up to date to you.”

A’neia sighed, “Master Archivist Predel always said I had the neatest handwriting.”

Letea just nodded in agreement then strode out of the weyr. A’neia could hear Arnuth shifting then she said I am moving onto the weyr ledge so Grelarth can have the couch. After all this is her weyr.

A’neia just nodded, I know lovely and I should be done soon this is the last record I have to transcribe.

Just remember to eat something ,came the reply as Arnuth settled on the ledge.

A’neia just chuckled in response and returned to copying the record.

It was well into the afternoon when she finished copying. After sitting up and stretching, she discovered she was voracious. She placed the new record on the shelf and closed the glow basket. As she walked into the anteroom, she paused to bow to Grelarth.

I’m going to our weyr now, Arnuth said, call me when your ready to return.

A’neia nodded then started down the stairs that led to the bowl floor. As she walked across the bowl she looked up at her weyr to see Arnuth twining necks with her mate Helrith. She smiled as she entered the irregular cavern that served as the Lower Caverns. Upon the table where she usually sat she discovered a fellis bloom.

Arnuth did B’nern leave this? she thought and the only reply was a sleepy rumble.

Fine don’t tell me, she thought to her dragon in an admonitory tone as she called her brown fire lizard Mornen to take it to her weyr.

After she collected her food, and began to devour her meat rolls, her friend Wingsecond V’ral entered the cavern covered in dust.

“Dust storms are in the upper levels!” he told her then broke off into a coughing fit. His dragon began to emit worried sounds form the ledge above. “Don’t, cough, worry Veneth, cough cough, I’m all right,” he said.

A’neia got up and poured him a glass of wine and told him to sit in a tone that brooked no contradiction.

V’ral drank the wine, “Thank…” Before he got any farther a young weyrling interrupted, “Sir the Wingleader wants to see you now.”

V’ral glared at the weyrling and said, “Thank you A’neia and you lad you would do better if you didn’t disrupt an older riders sentence.”

“I’m sorry sir but the Wingleader said it was urgent and you were to report now!”

The lad then ran off as V’ral growled, “The Wingleader ought to know better than to let a weyrling speak unrestricted to an older rider.”

“Weyrlings are weyrlings V’ral. A’neia said

V’ral grunted unconvinced and got up from the table to speak with his Wingleader F‘mol.

A’neia had finished a second helping of meat rolls when Mornen, the great actor, landed on her shoulder. He decided to liven the cavern by creeling loudly for food. A’niea, as usual, had to convince to everyone in the cavern that he was not starving and yet he always seemed to feel he was the victor in this little by-play.

V’ral returned to her table and sighed, “My Wingleader is as stubborn as ever.”

“Why do you say that?”

“Because I have to do a sweep tonight. I could not convince him to choose one of the other riders.”

A’neia smiled sympathetically and said, “ Maybe you can convince the Weyrleader to demote him so you could take his place.”

“Stop being sarcastic A’neia. It doesn‘t befit a harper”

“I’m not,” she replied, “And harpers can be sarcastic. Have you ever listened to the some of them at a gather?”

“Yes!” then he waved at her as if she was dismissed. “But they are usually apprentices not journeyman.”

“Oh so I suppose if someone puts on a journeyman’s knot then they can‘t have a sense of humor?”

“No I … that’s not… A’neia you know that’s not what I meant.” he stuttered until he saw her eyes gleaming with amusement. “Oh you” he growled at her as she stood.

She smiled then walked out of the caverns with Mornen clinging to her shoulder.

“Unfair A’neia.” he called after her and she chuckled.

She was just about to call Arnuth to come pick her up when she heard , “A’neia could you transport the Masterharper back to his hall?” A’neia turned to see the Weyrleader and Master Defeil striding toward her and replied, “Of course Weyrleader.”

He grinned ruefully, “Normally I would ask a weyrling but they are currently in firestone drills.”

A’neia laughed then said, “And Faranth help you if you interrupt Weyrlingmaser G’reton when he is teaching.”

Then she said mentally, Arnuth get down here!

Arnuth propelled herself gracefully off the ledge and landed directly in front of her. A’neia motioned the Masterharper to proceed her, and he bowed and said, “Good day Arnuth.” Then he mounted followed by A’neia.

As Arnuth jumped into the air the Masterharper projected his voice so A’neia could hear him, “I remember four years ago when you impressed Arnuth here. I lost one of my best journeyman.”

“I’m sorry sir but you know as well as I the dragon chooses.” she replied then added, “Hang on were about to go between.”

She gave Arnuth the mental order and she felt the Master’s hands tighten just slightly before the blackness enveloped them. When they emerged over the hall he continued, “I know and I don’t blame Arnuth either its just that you did help me for a number of years by gathering confidential information for me. It was hard losing you.”

Arnuth took the final turn and backwinged to land. When the Masterharper had dismounted followed by A’neia she asked, “Did you find another journeyman to take my place?”

“Yes I did and he is doing a good job although he can‘t blend into the background of as many holds as you did.”

He then turned to Arnuth, “I‘d like to thank you Arnuth for conveying me back to my Hall.

My pleasure Master Harper,Arnuth replied bowing her head in acknowledgement to his words.

“She says it was her pleasure Master.” A‘neia said smiling at him.

“Please come and visit the hall more often A’neia know that you and little Arnuth here are always welcome.”

“Thank you Masterharper I think I will.” A’neia said as she vaulted onto Arnuth’s neck. The Masterharper waved as Arnuth jumped into the air then dissapeared.

A’neia returned to the weyr to be enthusiastically greeted by Helrith. Arnuth returned the greeting and glided to their weyr.

Helrith says that B’nern is inside and looking for you ,Arnuth told her as she back winged to land.

A’neia slid of Arnuth’s back and stroked her nose as well as Helrith’s as she entered the weyr. Both dragons followed then curled up on the couch together. B’nern was standing in the doorway of the sleeping room a fellis blossom in hand.

“Good to have you home.” he murmured then walked over to her and hugged her.

She smiled in reply then asked, “How long did you sleep?”

“I woke up a few hours ago and Helrith told me you were busy copying a smelly old record.” he said

She nodded then sighed, “Thankfully that was the last one. Now all of our records have been transcribed and are legible.”

“Good now I don’t have to sneak into the Weyrleader’s quarters just to see you.” he said placing the fellis blossom in her hair.

She chuckled, “What the brash B’nern afraid that Grelarth was going to tell Letea you were in her weyr?”

He shuddered, “You should be jealous. She has always liked me ever since Helrith flew Grelarth when Shertath had that wing scoring last year.”

A’neia smiled, “I’m not jealous because I know that even though she finds you attractive she will never leave R’tir. Besides Helrith hadn’t flown Arnuth back then she rose to mate shortly after that flight.”

B’nern smiled then caressed her hair, “Hmm and wasn’t that a glorious flight?” he then leaned down and kissed her neck.

She smiled B’nern was always amorous it was one of his charms. She leaned up and kissed him on the lips, “Yes it was love.” she replied

B’nern smiled then caressed her shoulder suggestively, “You don’t have to do anything until tomorrow right?”

“No not until I have to teach the children in the morning.” she replied smiling up at him, “Actually I was thinking of taking a bath.”

“Hmm mind if I join you?” he purred in her ear

“Not at all love.” she replied striding into the sleeping quarters and into the bathing room beyond.

Have fun, Helrith told him as he followed her. Then Helrith settled down and draped a wing over his mate and sighed

You had better believe I will ,B’nern responded to his dragon as the curtain to the bathing room fell back over the opening.

Helrith chuckled and nuzzled Arnuth as she sighed and drifted off to sleep. He then laid his head along side hers as Mornen glided in and curled up against the two dragons.