A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café

The Library Café Come in, relax, and get to know the other members of this site. Share your hobbies and interests, along with general news of your life.

Old Sep 9 2021, 06:35 PM   #41
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Pronouns: SheShe
Fan of: PShPern BB, Tia., and Oth
Now Reading: MHOP, Books Jerry Apps, Too Many to Post
Default Re: Zel's Automotive Antics & Occasional Distractions.

My dad and I also hadfelt the same way,, Zen Hugs from I, right now his sche is fighting the pollen and dust, that we are getting, he is south of I and don't like takeing addational meds that might make things worst for his other medical problems.

He is still recoving from haveing both of his eyes fixed, so I think that he can feel for yo.
even if we hav n't met but online, its kinda hard when I am here or FB aand I meet folks from around the world, oh well, that the way it goes.

Dad has done a few projects over the years, but right now its keeping his GMC TTruck going, so well that he has buyers if he want't to sell it , he has a shop do the needed work but that OK, he is use to the non computer type of ones, like his Jeep, from the '80 idea, but, he also has others willing to help him when he needed it.

Sorry I AM THINKING OUT A FEW IDEAS THAT ARE RUNNING IN THE BACK OF MY MINDbut I thought I drop a quick line here. PS I am reading a long non AmC fic, over at AO3 that is giving me a few ideas that might help me later in my own writing. Later.h
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9 2021, 08:50 PM   #42
Zelandeth

Fan of: Dragonsdawn
Now Reading: Working my way through the whole Pern series

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinnyStar View Post
Dad has done a few projects over the years, but right now its keeping his GMC TTruck going, so well that he has buyers if he want't to sell it , he has a shop do the needed work but that OK, he is use to the non computer type of ones, like his Jeep, from the '80 idea, but, he also has others willing to help him when he needed it.
The fact that this has fuel injection but no computers involved really confuses people these days. The idea of a mechanically controlled injection system on a gas engine just doesn't seem to make sense. When they see how it works they usually run for the hills! The lack of electronics on this car was one of the big plus points for me.

-- -- --

For a chunk of this afternoon it was raining so out of curiosity I decided to take a look at the camshaft setup on the spare head. This was as much for my education as anything. Plus if we find the bottom end on my engine looks okay we may wind up swapping this head onto my current block...unlikely but I'm keeping an open mind at this point.

Here's what I found.

Cylinders are numbered from 1 at the crank pulley end to 4 at the flywheel end.

Corresponding rocker/cam carrier assemblies in the same order.

Then the camshaft itself.

Obviously isn't brand new but probably has plenty of life left in it yet. Million times better than the one on the car!

No chance I could just swap the cam/followers over as the lower bearing is part of the head and I imagine they were machined together as a pair.

Two main next steps I will be taking - once the incoming weather system has moved on anyway.

[] Pull the rocker cover again and inspect anything. If the cam follower on the bad cylinders are being eaten away it should be pretty apparent I'd think as the clearances will have opened up.

I do wonder if it's me having set those which has tipped the scales, as a couple were well wide.

[] Drop the sump and pull a few caps off to inspect them and the crankshaft.

That should give us a picture of where we stand with regards to the condition of the engine as a whole.

Then we can see whether we're looking at wholesale replacement or potentially a head swap. Though I'm guessing we will see a whole new unit at this point.

-- -- --

Bit later in the afternoon I decided to tick off another item on my list and give the Invacar an oil and filter change.

I'm glad to report that in sharp contrast to what just came out of the Mercedes that there wasn't anything by way of sparkly powder in the oil that was drained.

Which was quite nice to see after the last couple of days! Even the magnetic pickup had next to nothing on it which is always nice to see. To be honest I've only ever seen a pencil tip eraser sided amount of gunk on there the first time I cleaned it, and I doubt it had been touched for decades before that.

Worth noting that the magnetic pickup is not in the sump plug though, it's in the oil filter drain - so could easily be missed if you didn't know it was there. I really like that they provided a separate drain for the filter too as it means you can change it without making a mess. As the filter is installed open end down that would otherwise be unavoidable.

Think I've spotted a source of a huge rattle too, looks like one of the body mounts in the vicinity of the offside rear wheel tub isn't doing its job so the whole area can wobble and vibrate. I will add a couple of fasteners to the back of the wheel tub to the chassis rail with a couple of nice big washers so they don't pull through like the original rivets did. Already did this on the nearside as that had happened there and the tub was fouling on the tyre there.
Zelandeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10 2021, 05:43 PM   #43
Zelandeth

Just realised I made mention of the magnetic oil particle trap on the Invacar but have never shown it, and it's worthy of mention as it's quite a clever setup which I've not seen before.

It's the little black cylinder just below centre frame in the oil filter housing.

You can see the head of it underneath where it's unscrewed from. Aside from allowing the magnetic plug to be inspected and cleaned this also allows the oil filter to be drained before you change it so as to minimise mess. 17mm head on that, 19mm for the sump plug itself.

Finished off the job from yesterday - I'd completely lost track of the spare filter so had to pick another one up.

For reference, the Bosch equivalent for the Mann W712 usually quoted is a P2056.

Apparently shared with a 2007 Nissan X-Trail 2.2 Diesel.

Just one of the nice little design feature on the engine that seemed worth sharing.
Old Sep 10 2021, 08:13 PM   #44
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Wanted to a more.
My Dad's GMC is a Diesel not a gas one, the Jeep is one, but, he takes better care a transportation getting maintenances when needed, and using the right new or what is that term, rebuild? ones, and they have served him well I think, I hate it when I can say
And service on them, when needed, and work done right when their is a problem,like the time he had problems after bringing me home, one of two tempertecher think it then I try to spell it and I can't do it,.
Unlike how some others in my familly keep their serviced,

Sound like his airplane enginc too how long it has run with out a swiching out the sparkpluges, and oil it is a two stroke one, and runningprotection cooocoolent as in pickling it for the winter, its llastedfor a long time, more then the tech coul thought it ccould, but he had to have parts of it re done I recall that he had to have the pistens shapts widen, on a engen but I don't recall which one, but he had someone do it right..

Needed to let my fingers warm up so I coud finish up my post here. Sorry for leaving it undone,.

I haven't done too much around this stuff, outside of 'keeping out for parts and signing for them when he was building his kit airplane. and I know to leave him alone to do the work ununless he needs me to do something, one time he needed me to help him, I listen to wwhat was needed, and told him that I wasn't able to help him, so he got my kin to help.l
temp.probles when out.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons

Last edited by GinnyStar; Sep 10 2021 at 09:08 PM.
Old Sep 11 2021, 07:56 PM   #45
Zelandeth

Quote:
Sound like his airplane enginc too how long it has run with out a swiching out the sparkpluges, and oil it is a two stroke one, and runningprotection cooocoolent as in pickling it for the winter, its llastedfor a long time, more then the tech coul thought it ccould, but he had to have parts of it re done I recall that he had to have the pistens shapts widen, on a engen but I don't recall which one, but he had someone do it right..

Needed to let my fingers warm up so I coud finish up my post here. Sorry for leaving it undone,.

I haven't done too much around this stuff, outside of 'keeping out for parts and signing for them when he was building his kit airplane. and I know to leave him alone to do the work ununless he needs me to do something, one time he needed me to help him, I listen to wwhat was needed, and told him that I wasn't able to help him, so he got my kin to help.l
temp.probles when out.
Wow, making a kit airplane, that sounds like quite a story in itself. Can't imagine that would be even vaguely approachable here...the rules and regs for getting a home built car are almost impossibly strict these days (the IVA, Individual Vehicle Approval test)... can't even imagine what they'd be like for aviation.

-- -- --

As a fair chunk of my tools are currently with a friend (hoping they will be returned tomorrow...I had been promised this morning...) there's not much I can really do today. Well that's not strictly true...I could use the 1/4" drive sockets and not have the impact driver on hand. However those sockets are massively more cumbersome so I'd rather wait till my usual kit is on hand.

Next step for the Merc will be pulling the sump and bearing caps to see what state the bottom end is in. In preparation for this it's assumed the position in the "nearest to garage but not blocking anything in" space ready for open heart surgery.

I'll slot a couple of extra paving slabs in at that end before starting work as that will give me a little bit of extra room to work. I don't think I'll need the car on the ramps as it has plenty of ground clearance. I will have a closer look through before I actually start to confirm that.

This meant getting into the BX for the first time in... probably about three months.

She started first try (after a bit of cranking to get fuel up to the carb obviously), rose straight up and made me remember how sweet the engine actually runs. I decided to give her the opportunity to run for a while while I was in the area. So cranked the idle speed up to basically as far as the throttle stop screw allowed - probably about 1700rpm I think and left her like that for a while. Idea being to both get a bit of charge back in the battery and to get everything as properly warmed through as I really can without actually driving the car. Good stress test for the cooling system too - one which it seemed to pass with flying colours.

You can see why I wanted to try to get the exhaust warmed through at least - there's clearly been quite a bit of water sitting in it for a long while - the rusty trail following me whenever I moved the car was always a clue.

Feeling really guilty for having neglected the car for so long. Have told myself that I absolutely need to pick up the brake pipes it needs this week and either make a start on fitting them or get it booked in to a garage to have it done. I've sat on it for far too long...it deserves to be sorted. I keep forgetting how incredibly comfortable a car it is for all the interior looks scruffy just now, and I really want to drive it!

Depending on what I find when I start digging into the Merc it may well end up being sorted first.

I was pretty sure that with my existing air line extension hooked up to my new hose that I'd be able to reach all the cars easily enough. Checking this today has shown that I was right and I've plenty of reach available.

I checked over TPA to make sure there were no oil leaks following the filter change yesterday...there weren't. However I spotted something that I had completely forgotten about.

This is what the inside of the rear of the rear wheel tubs should look like.

However this is what the nearside one currently looks like from the same angle.

Looking closer from above you can see it's because about the rear foot of the wheel tub is actually missing, presumably from when this corner took a knock at some point in the past.

Not ideal as it basically means there's very little bracing the two panels together at the rear...also means that the ignition coil, voltage regulator and starter solenoid will be getting absolutely drenched every time I drive on an even vaguely damp road.

My solution will come in the form of a random aluminium sheet offcut I've had in the "this might be useful one day" pile for ages.

This will go roughly here.

Which is a bit clearer to see from underneath.

It will be both bolted to the chassis, riveted to the body and glassed in place and I'll cap off the remaining hole from above too.

This will tie the wheel tub, side body moulding, rear body moulding and the chassis leg together. Hopefully get rid of a bit of the rattling from that area too.

...I may actually use a bit of steel plate instead. That will largely depend on whether I can find my tin snips. I know that would be better, but I'd really rather not have to faff around trying to shape things using the angle grinder.

Last job for the day was sorting out this mess.

This definitely absolutely had nothing to do with some idiot reversing 2.8 tonnes of camper van over it a few months ago. Nope...that absolutely did not happen.

Ten minutes later, nobody would ever know anything had happened.

Well...except for me just having admitted my idiocy! Will try not to do it again...
Old Sep 11 2021, 09:07 PM   #46
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelandeth View Post
Wow, making a kit airplane, that sounds like quite a story in itself. Can't imagine that would be even vaguely approachable here...the rules and regs for getting a home built car are almost impossibly strict these days (the IVA, Individual Vehicle Approval test)... can't even imagine what they'd be like for aviation.

-- -- --

As a fair chunk of my tools are currently with a friend (hoping they will be returned tomorrow...I had been promised this morning...) there's not much I can really do today. Well that's not strictly true...I could use the 1/4" drive sockets and not have the impact driver on hand. However those sockets are massively more cumbersome so I'd rather wait till my usual kit is on hand.

Next step for the Merc will be pulling the sump and bearing caps to see what state the bottom end is in. In preparation for this it's assumed the position in the "nearest to garage but not blocking anything in" space ready for open heart surgery.

I'll slot a couple of extra paving slabs in at that end before starting work as that will give me a little bit of extra room to work. I don't think I'll need the car on the ramps as it has plenty of ground clearance. I will have a closer look through before I actually start to confirm that.

This meant getting into the BX for the first time in... probably about three months.

She started first try (after a bit of cranking to get fuel up to the carb obviously), rose straight up and made me remember how sweet the engine actually runs. I decided to give her the opportunity to run for a while while I was in the area. So cranked the idle speed up to basically as far as the throttle stop screw allowed - probably about 1700rpm I think and left her like that for a while. Idea being to both get a bit of charge back in the battery and to get everything as properly warmed through as I really can without actually driving the car. Good stress test for the cooling system too - one which it seemed to pass with flying colours.

You can see why I wanted to try to get the exhaust warmed through at least - there's clearly been quite a bit of water sitting in it for a long while - the rusty trail following me whenever I moved the car was always a clue.

Feeling really guilty for having neglected the car for so long. Have told myself that I absolutely need to pick up the brake pipes it needs this week and either make a start on fitting them or get it booked in to a garage to have it done. I've sat on it for far too long...it deserves to be sorted. I keep forgetting how incredibly comfortable a car it is for all the interior looks scruffy just now, and I really want to drive it!

Depending on what I find when I start digging into the Merc it may well end up being sorted first.

I was pretty sure that with my existing air line extension hooked up to my new hose that I'd be able to reach all the cars easily enough. Checking this today has shown that I was right and I've plenty of reach available.

I checked over TPA to make sure there were no oil leaks following the filter change yesterday...there weren't. However I spotted something that I had completely forgotten about.

This is what the inside of the rear of the rear wheel tubs should look like.

However this is what the nearside one currently looks like from the same angle.

Looking closer from above you can see it's because about the rear foot of the wheel tub is actually missing, presumably from when this corner took a knock at some point in the past.

Not ideal as it basically means there's very little bracing the two panels together at the rear...also means that the ignition coil, voltage regulator and starter solenoid will be getting absolutely drenched every time I drive on an even vaguely damp road.

My solution will come in the form of a random aluminium sheet offcut I've had in the "this might be useful one day" pile for ages.

This will go roughly here.

Which is a bit clearer to see from underneath.

It will be both bolted to the chassis, riveted to the body and glassed in place and I'll cap off the remaining hole from above too.

This will tie the wheel tub, side body moulding, rear body moulding and the chassis leg together. Hopefully get rid of a bit of the rattling from that area too.

...I may actually use a bit of steel plate instead. That will largely depend on whether I can find my tin snips. I know that would be better, but I'd really rather not have to faff around trying to shape things using the angle grinder.

Last job for the day was sorting out this mess.

This definitely absolutely had nothing to do with some idiot reversing 2.8 tonnes of camper van over it a few months ago. Nope...that absolutely did not happen.

Ten minutes later, nobody would ever know anything had happened.

Well...except for me just having admitted my idiocy! Will try not to do it again...
Well its a Plane Kit that can b bought in sections, he bought it with mostly with one after doing a lot of checking out, he used his moeny from driving right the extra peney he got every so offen, while driving bvan over the road long way,, the kit is legal here in USA and Canda I don;t know outside of those two places but the Challenger is what its called, from a place in the Trie Cities south of me, I think that is the name of the USA company I have the link some where but its lost among my old computer files, its a good plane, for yousoar with it, they have a DVD orginal was A vcr tAPE WITH A FRIEND THAT MY DA KNOWS, WHO TOfly is on it, its where I hear ed Ore to Joy and Sailing by Chrisifer Cross and there is one more segment that I don't recall the name of the chace music, For they used the sam ones they are sellling to chase to ffilm the shops,. they had a cclipped version, to came in one or two seats, and both could soar poweroff in a summer thermal and if you lost ppower you can gglide to a safe landing, dad's had that problem, he was aable to glide back into our airport, turning in a wi wide left hanturn and lset up and landed back where he took off, he also only got the back wheel hit when a deer a doe hit him when he tr tried to land, on a different day, didn't kill the dear she just took off, and dad just had to fix the pipes that werer on the back I think, along with the wheel,. The airport, is in a rearl area and we have to watch out ofor wildlife during different times of the year, no hunting or poatching on our land, itshas two grass runways and lots of woods, feields, and swaps, and thePine River, runs mear bye, I have someone who is comming to help memme understand my JAWS program the text-Speach Sofeweare this Fir. be glad I hope he can tell me what tcommands are so I can work this better, I din't want to get stuck and not able to get back out of a website, without locking up my computer,. Biggest bird aairplane we had wasconverted Turble prop DC-3, they like our airport to train on for its like where the pklane is going to, I LOL one time, For it Reminded me of Ruth with abunch of fire lizards from one view, or a Gold and the other t types where the other colors some them of course are not realy fast its just me translated into Earth into Pern, e Like on a Resday just resting while the other have fun, and eeats, just no danceing, but others things over the years, I recall seeing, Now on the oother hand if we were at Eaa we get even more,, and that is were my dad and I saw a lot of stuff, over the years, that is were he learn how to build his craft at the workshops their, over many years, but you are right he just flys it around our area not long way,l, in the video they show it o have them o skis afloats, one of the best is a has his right out on a trailler into the water, then when deep for his floats he reves up the moater and takes off, rereverses the thing to get his bird back into its handg hanger, ., I get a good LOL well I wonder what he would do if his transport got sstuck Its kinda like a boat trailer or a small taraler with four wheels and right on the edge of the water, I still recall it and its a lol yet.

PS Thanks for the image descriptions for I and others I hope I eexplained some of the stuff, I have 'see n' before my sight was gone, and what other non Amc stuff I enjoenjoy doing ! I know the desiner of the bird dad's died but they are still making them as far as I know, I think they might have someone by now for outsoutside the USA for EAA is InAround the world, It is on my look to check list now that I have remembers to check once more.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Sep 14 2021, 12:26 PM   #47
Zelandeth

Some progress at long last on the beige BX.

Made a run over to Chevronics today to pick up some parts.

That's a set of both rear axle brake lines and a steering rack gaiter kit. I only need one of both to my knowledge, but I'm assuming that if one of the brake lines has let go the other isn't likely far behind. Likewise with the steering rack gaiters. So just getting both made sense.

With those fitted and one small patch to the nearside sill made we should hopefully be ready to present the car for an MOT. Given how long she's been off the road I'm fully expecting that to turn up a list of things needing sorted, but hopefully not a catastrophic one.

Just really hoping I don't need to replace all the rear hydraulic lines as that gets highly involved in a hurry! Especially as the fuel tank is full which is an annoying step to need to address before the subframe could be dropped...a task in itself I'd *really* rather avoid.

Given I've had a pretty poor run of experiences with specialists in a plethora of fields over the last few years it was a very welcome surprise to see how helpful, friendly and organised Chevronics were.
Old Sep 15 2021, 08:27 PM   #48
Zelandeth

Figured I'd try to keep up the momentum on the BX progress.

Didn't have much time today so decided to concentrate on a bit more diagnosis on a minor but important item that's currently non functional - and judging from the MOT history has been that way for a while: The speedometer.

Of course being the exceptionally cool rotating drum affair this is doubly important as there's no point in having something that interesting that doesn't work!

Pulling the instrument panel out is a fairly painless task and only takes about five minutes once you've learned where the fasteners are and that 3 out of the 5 steps in the Haynes manual are totally unnecessary.

Spinning the input to the speedometer with an external source (Allen key) revealed the speedometer responded, if a little sluggish to return to zero. After twiddling the thing for a couple of minutes I'd got the trip meter to move visibly as well. This is good as I'm sure I've read that the drive to that can fail.

This meant I needed to delve deeper. I had hoped that maybe I just hadn't seated the cable right (it's a right pig to get on as there's next to no slack in the cable). Unfortunately driving the car back and forth without the instrument panel in place showed no movement from the cable. Not what I'd hoped for...that means either the cable is broken, detached at the gearbox end or the drive in the gearbox is stuffed.

Of course being a suitcase engine the gearbox is in the sump...and mostly totally invisible from above. This is the grand total of how much of the cable I can see before it vanishes down below the rocker cover at the back of the engine, an inch and a half from the firewall.

I note it does appear to be a two part cable...I kinda wish I'd known that before the swearing involved in getting the instrument panel out the first time. Next job will be finding out if the break is in the upper or lower portion.of the cable...if the upper that should be a pretty easy fix.

If it's the lower section that's going on the "sort once it's a working car again" list. At least it's no huge hardship these days with a plethora of smartphone apps available to provide a GPS based speedometer. That'll do just fine to/from the MOT station.

Before I go any further the panel needs some further attention as the speedometer illumination has failed again (this is about the fourth time).

The panel needs a good clean anyway as there's a lot of gunk on the inside of the plastic lenses and I'd like to make sure that the worm drive for the odometer/trip meter is properly greased up. This will give me an opportunity to try to repair the damage to the flex PCB and see if I can track down where the permanent 12V feed to the clock is disappearing (it currently resets to 0:00 every time you turn the ignition off).

I have a good quantity of warm white wide angle LEDs on hand so will do a bit of experimentation with those for the illumination. I'm not messing about with the warning lights, but given the dash illumination is on whenever the ignition is on the BX *and* I know this dash has a plethora of scratchy connection issues, if I can eliminate the heat, power consumption and maintenance aspect there it would be a bonus. Don't worry, if it looks horrible I won't proceede with it and will just try to get the normal lamps to behave reliably.

Just one of those things which while I've got it in bits anyway seems worth looking into.
Old Sep 15 2021, 09:38 PM   #49
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

I still am llearning how to get around with hyperlinks, so I shall have to come back and take a look later, I feel for you, my dad had to help my mom fix her breaks, during one bvery wet winter, her breke drums? got packed so full of snow that turned to ice, and what other junck on the r road, that my dad had to unthought them, before he could work on them,, we had a back to bacdk wet heavey snow storms, then a below fffreezing weather we had heavy snow storm, late in the season, ., then warmish sloppie roads, and below freezing or near fre freezinf weather, so tthe breaks got full of the stuff, so my mon told dad she had no breaks, on hher car,, and my dad had a understanding boss, they got him home as fast as they could, he even had a load to bring back to the yard, a drop and go, as soon asI think his truck needed service too, sosoon as the m the shop staff hadhis truck, he hhhhe headed for home, but the drums whhere the disk were so full that he had to milt all the ice so he could get the frozen breaks to work, I don't recall I think wehad too much problem at that time, but his brothers who are older then he, where in FL or Tx this was during ta small thaw I think. I only recall that my dad had found a loit of ice and road junck around the frozen breaks, and he used a blow torch to unthow them, we used dad's car to get around, I think if it was going to happen to take any lontger, I think wewould see if we could use Grandma W car, while she was vbvisting in GAA for she has loan her car to us a few other times in the pass, but he got it back in order, which was good,.. ROLF now my dad has pick up and watched a lot of stuff while makeing driving around the Lowers parts of Canda and the lower 48 states, I still recall seeing how drill bits are nade, when I roade with him for the week, duringwhen I could l I could.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Sep 16 2021, 06:39 AM   #50
Zelandeth

Frozen up brakes are always an annoying thing to have to sort. Something I've had to deal with once or twice back when I was in Scotland. Not often but on a couple of occasions when we'd had a long wet period followed by a rapid cold snap.

Getting this BX back into a roadworthy state was always going to be an interesting challenge simply because it's been sitting around for so long - at the very least 15 years, though the story is that it sat around in an aircraft hanger since 1994. I still don't know what fault originally took it off the road either or if that's since been sorted...

On the plus side braking system issues are generally less common on these cars after a layup because the hydraulic fluid used in Citroens isn't hygroscopic like conventional brake fluid so internal corrosion doesn't tend to be a big problem. It can still happen, but it's not like a conventional car which having sat around that long where I'd basically be planning on replacing most of the braking hardware...here it's more a case of "see what works" and replace as necessary.
Old Sep 16 2021, 11:26 PM   #51
Zelandeth

This evening's entertainment.

I had hoped this would be a pretty quick strip down, clean and reassemble.

Strip down is pretty easy.

Definitely needed a clean!

Sadly my hopes this would be a really quick job didn't last long. Apparently at some point in the district past someone has tried to fix the dead speedometer...by unloading about half a can of WD40 into the instrument panel.

Everything is slimy and sticky. While unpleasant this isn't generally a huge issue as I just need to clean it. Here's the issue though...The oil has got in between the plastic window in front of the banks of warning lights and the plastic window in front of them.

In itself this is unpleasant to clean up...but the big issue is that it has eaten away the printing on the filter gels. This is what I found when I peeled them apart.

Quite how badly this has eaten away at things is clear when you hold them up to the light.

Realistically I'll need to either remake these or find replacements. I'll make sure to get a high resolution scan to allow me to make a replacement digitally and print out on transparency film. I don't have time for that right now, so this will be a project for somewhere down the road.

For now I've done a bit of patching with a marker.

Not great but better...at least the dash illumination won't shine through the left hand one like it used to like this.

The single biggest cleaning task I was worried about though was the bit of plastic which has that diagram of the car printed on it. The plastic is edge lit and provides a light pipe effect to make the diagram glow. If that came off I'd be stuffed really, I don't have the resources to remake that.

Thankfully this was the result of ten minutes of VERY careful cleaning with a microfibre cloth.

Jumping ahead a bit, here's how this area now looks when lit up.

Far less blotchy light coming through from behind and it's way brighter now as the plastic is clean. The bezel isn't fitted there so there's a lot of spill from the sides.

The warning panel on the right always looked blotchy before because the filter gel was actually stuck to the plastic lens.

That area now looks like this.

Quite a lot of warning lights that just aren't used on this car being in humble RE trim.

[] Brake pad wear indicator (no bulb fitted or evidence of it having ever had one).

[] Glow plugs... obviously, it's a petrol engine.

[] Clutch temperature warning for the semi-auto gearbox - it's a manual.

[] Exhaust temp - only applies to cat equipped cars.

[] Oil level warning - very sadly not fitted. That may get upgraded as it's a feature I think is really sensible to have.

In addition to these though, this one isn't even in the handbook.

I assume was there intended to show when the engine was cold (note that the BX never had a temperature gauge fitted), but never actually got used. Would be quite a nice thing to reinstate.

Equally there two red lights alongside the "Econoscope" (a two-light based vacuum meter basically) in the middle of the dash.

These aren't mentioned in the handbook either.

Over on the other side we're also missing the indicators for the doors being open...these would be LEDs in these four holes.

I'm quite surprised that they actually went to the extent of omitting the LEDs... I'm kinda curious to know if they were fitted if the indicators would work. Only in the front obviously...there aren't door switches on the rear doors...or bonnet, or boot...so those lights *definitely* won't work.

The pointer for the speedometer needs a good scrub up and coat of paint...it should be white, not lumpy and rust coloured.

I'm still having big issues with scratchy contacts basically everywhere on this panel, so we may end up going with a more wholesale LED retrofit as I can just solder them in.

The panel has obviously issues...there are a bunch of broken clips, the above moth eaten light gels, and several "interesting" prior repairs to the flex PCB. Oh, yeah and I need to fix this mess under the clock.

I'll need to find a pin out for so I can figure out what's meant to have voltage or ground on it to sort that. The clock itself does work...insofar that it turns on with the ignition and then keeps time. However it resets to 0:00 as soon as the ignition is turned off. It also doesn't dim when the headlights are turned on as I think it should.

The flex PCB on this is one of the most difficult to follow I've ever worked on, so really hoping I can find a proper schematic which shows the pin connections so I can just buzz them out with the meter rather than having to trace every one out... That's for tomorrow though. Oh, and trying to remember where the bottle of sewing machine oil is so I can put a tiny dab on the speedometer bearing to hopefully thin out the WD40 goop currently in there. Little smear of grease will go on the work drive for the trip/odometer too...which was one of the main reasons for pulling it to bits.

This has turned into a bit of a ramble, sorry!
Old Sep 17 2021, 06:35 PM   #52
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Thats OK, I don't mind, others might, I about,, but I just got done with what I nneed to know , and I haven't learn all the shortcuts for my text-speach softweare yet, but after the report is written and OK, I hope to be working one-one with someone to help
with my own ve vversion of it. wink' ', I am just trying to unwind from a v very
busy day, like I just posted, so I hoe to have better ccontrol over things soon, in my
own technology thing, more tech, help wiaahelping programs and stuff, and stop having a idea keep trying to running away from me.

I get a a few images that remind me of stuff and they move too quickly for I to even dito explane to anyone. Sounds like my dad when he had to fix someone
el bird, I loved dad 's use of boat eaddaptores the kind you hook a trailer to your car for lights to run them off the car system, not the not the rat nest this person had, I also havge seen them in oother spots, Cd-DDrives like on my old
Lap top, and once something like that with a printer, all in one, scanner, I have, which I ended up recycling for I could n't get it fix, had to get a new one, I hope
to get soon my program that I used in tech school, OPOpenBook, I think I might just see what it thinks of a few of AMC books, their font and see if it can read anything back to me, as a test, I don't have my orginal one that I scanned, t I used the Title page, with all the ininformation once and it came out great, before
I tried a more harder font, I just want to be able to tell someone the order of
reading with out having to try to fight with abook that I can't see, I have a few offline ffolks that might be looking for a good read, two are sic fic fans, one is a trek fan, so I shall see what I can't do, I also, have a hard time saying some of the
Co-writer s so I used in the past my text-to-speach softsweare to speek what I c can't say. No copyright infringement me is ment by my project, I just want to share AMC and her Co-writer s work with out getting myself tongtied , Its Hard to tag a book or two when you can't find it in your bookshelf, or bins, just saying Now I well get off my little box of rambling here, and I hope to have more to post later in a update. "Wave good bye for this one'
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Sep 17 2021, 06:56 PM   #53
Zelandeth

Dealing with other people's wiring is always an interesting challenge...with that description though it definitely brings to mind my old PC...which was cludged together out of whatever spares and used parts I could find. It varied in age from 1991 to 1999 (this was in 1999), and was a full size, waist high tower case. It was *packed* full and an utter mess. I still have it, but it's a bit tidier inside than it was back in the day as I've discovered the concept of cable management since then. Oh...and when it was working back then I was loathe to ever touch it in case it stopped working!

-- -- --

You remember me saying that the work to recreate the warning light masks was for "somewhere down the road" yesterday?

Yeah...about that. Look what I ended up doing this evening after dinner...

The end result of which were these.

Everything is on separate layers, so I can have a play around with different options regarding getting a clean print, good colour purity etc. Just need to wait for the transparency sheets to arrive. Fun fact: Laser printer transparency sheets are expensive suckers!

There are quite a few imperfections as it's all been done by hand so I'll need to tidy up a couple of the legends (sidelights and glow plugs being the two which stick out at me the most). A lot tidier than what's in there at the moment though. I've got a file somewhere with a large library of automotive symbols etc I could paste in, but restoring the original ones seemed worthwhile.

Tiny job...and one utterly unnecessary to the proper running of the car...but satisfying all the same.
Old Sep 17 2021, 10:23 PM   #54
Dragon Fan

Fan of: The Smallest Dragonboy

Not a computer wiring thing, but still a wiring problem of sorts. When our Father was building the house I now own and live in, Most everything was reused from elsewhere. The wiring makes this very apparent. In the basement all the wiring is Black(hot)/White/Green(ground), on the first floor it is all Black(hot)/red/green(ground), on the Second floor it is All Black(hot)/Blue/White(ground). On the stairs there are 4 way switches to control the lights at the top and bottom, from either set of switches. the runner wires that make this possible are green on both sets of stairs. When making my additions for outside lighting, it felt so wrong making the black wire the hot instead of the red wire. I pity whoever gets this house after I am gone. There are diagrams i put in the updated circuit box for these strange wiring setups. Even I need to stop and remember what floor i am tying into when making repairs or installing new switches or outlets.
Old Sep 17 2021, 10:52 PM   #55
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Fan View Post
Not a computer wiring thing, but still a wiring problem of sorts. When our Father was building the house I now own and live in, Most everything was reused from elsewhere. The wiring makes this very apparent. In the basement all the wiring is Black(hot)/White/Green(ground), on the first floor it is all Black(hot)/red/green(ground), on the Second floor it is All Black(hot)/Blue/White(ground). On the stairs there are 4 way switches to control the lights at the top and bottom, from either set of switches. the runner wires that make this possible are green on both sets of stairs. When making my additions for outside lighting, it felt so wrong making the black wire the hot instead of the red wire. I pity whoever gets this house after I am gone. There are diagrams i put in the updated circuit box for these strange wiring setups. Even I need to stop and remember what floor i am tying into when making repairs or installing new switches or outlets.
Nice image discription, I did a science one with help from my mon, in Jr. Hight school, won a prise I think, it whas a plant , you use paper clips a light bblbe and finsh the cureet I had a lot of fun, Took me a while to get it to look right,

Later on I dida Mars setelment, with large soada bottle round ones as the domes, ccovered the connecting tp tubes with foile, and added a pull off milk cap on one end wanted to both ends b but someone broke my ss what I had, extra so only one , made it look o like they had a ffffarm in one, etc. Used one that got broke into the storage and reparie bbay, covered in oorange chark, over the createds,, and the parking lot, one of my friends, added that as I was working on the solar set up,, he asked me would be OK, shure, he drew strater then I did, I didn't have a lot of time to finish my entry into the fair, but folks like it, My teacher let me used her office so the rest of my stuff wouldn't get damaged, I had it setting almost done, but for a few tubes. waiting for the first batch of glue to dry, tried tape I didn't have any duck tape, so I used glue or was that paste?? what every. its stay in one place, I was glad to have his help,l I think that was the w was the way the person who damaged my project had to help me finsh it,. we were getting down to cto the wire., He first I forgave him, after he said he was sorry, and was willing to work under my orders, my teacher mmade sure he didn';t add more problems to what I was doing, he said I was thinking of the mo our moon he he saw the orange chark and said howabout ZMars, looks too big for the Moon, so that what we did, he helped me finshed it.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Sep 18 2021, 09:10 PM   #56
Zelandeth

Well today has been spent generating this mess.

Last couple of trees that need to come down are going to require access from the other side of the fence to remove the bulk of the weight before we can bring them down.

Have got a mechanical job out of it though, the exhaust decided to fall off the chain saw. Gaskets have had it, so possible it's been leaking for quite a while.

The marks on the back of the silencer and heat shield certainly suggest that theory is correct.

That silencer seems to have a lot more to it than I'd expect, it's really surprisingly heavy.

New gaskets and some locknuts on the studs this time so it can't unbolt itself again and we should be good to go. Doesn't look like the mating surfaces are damaged at least.

Now however I am utterly broken, and will probably be feeling that way for most of the next week!
Old Sep 19 2021, 08:11 AM   #57
vyon

Fan of: Harper Hall

Did you know the top of that Lawson tree makes an excellent Christmas tree? It will live in a bucket of water for a couple of weeks without dropping pine needles all over the floor. One hedge on our farm used to produce all the family's Christmas money in cut and delivered Christmas trees, we had regular customers who didn't like the traditional pine trees. My current Christmas tree is about the same height as me (1 1/2 metres or just over 5') and is made out of five phormium / NZ flax flowers.
vyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19 2021, 07:37 PM   #58
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

As for CChanesa my mom found a bucket at the dump,, full of them,, I think she ask if we could take them home, someone didn know how to sharpen the points a tooths right, took my dad a bit to get t them sharpen right but,, my dad didn't have to get the
ccchains for his saw for a long time.

Note: My uncle called and we did sometime., as a inside joke, the dump as the Springwater Mall, we have found a few gemsamong the junckleaf blower, that my ddad's got fix, shelving for we do have a few summer folks, that don't know how to fix stuff, dad is a bit like a Joat, he also know s how to weld, used that skil, to fix a bb was broken in a hide-abed,,, just neeneeded a new leg added to work, my uncle his brother found it, and helped him get it fixed and moved in. and the old one out, We also founde a set of TV trays - one or two, and a bendt one, and a stand for put tting our poker in when not using, I think, that was a before the person in question tossed it out, , LOL on that one,my dad was able to fix it, and its working as well and so iis the coutch, , I am just sayhing, we have also found a few things that just needed a little TLC and they work find, note, can't be mo worst then some folks finds in the dumpster or skip? or loss when taking a building apart,? like. a few finds I have heard over the yeards, Or a few rummage sales I have picked up over the years, I am going to see if I can get mpicture things going I have a combined ofgoing out of business g find, what its ssitting on and a build your own storage image around here som3e place,. maybe only the image but I think you folks might like it. I was think ing with a twist, I shall have to stick that on my to do list.

w
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Sep 20 2021, 10:34 AM   #59
Zelandeth

Yard sales are something that just doesn't exist over here...which is a shame! Seeing what a lot of people over in the US I know seem to regularly pick up for pocket change is staggering...over here you'd be looking at probably 10-20 times the cost for something in worse shape though eBay or Gumtree etc.

The fact that environmental laws here have "closed the circle" regarding recycling etc means that there's an absolute rule at all of the official recycling centres around here that once something comes into the site that it cannot be removed again. Which has had me nearly in tears seeing some of the equipment that people just bin without a thought. Seems backwards as well... surely the most environmentally sound thing to do is to keep something going rather than throwing it away and buying a new one.

Especially given how huge a portion of the goods that our government has been claiming to "recycle" in recent years has in fact just been getting shipped overseas and burned... that's far too political a discussion for an internet forum though!
Old Sep 20 2021, 06:00 PM   #60
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Quote:
Yard sales are something that just doesn't exist over here...which is a shame! Seeing what a lot of people over in the US I know seem to regularly pick up for pocket change is staggering...over here you'd be looking at probably 10-20 times the cost for something in worse shape though eBay or Gumtree etc.

The fact that environmental laws here have "closed the circle" regarding recycling etc means that there's an absolute rule at all of the official recycling centres around here that once something comes into the site that it cannot be removed again. Which has had me nearly in tears seeing some of the equipment that people just bin without a thought. Seems backwards as well... surely the most environmentally sound thing to do is to keep something going rather than throwing it away and buying a new one.

Especially given how huge a portion of the goods that our government has been claiming to "recycle" in recent years has in fact just been getting shipped overseas and burned... that's far too political a discussion for an
internet forum though!
I agree, I don't know but their t is a show called Frontline from PBS here in the USA, they do have a website I haven't got all the buttons working but they showed that, on a group of the programs, some stuff can be re-used like tables, books, and other stuff, in charity shops Ithink from a different program, from PBS called Escape to the Chatalt what the French call a great home, I can't spell it I can say it, Sorry, been one of those longer then I like weekends, I also whish I could find theNational Geographic issue that had a rmachine that could help out in their, I also miss that a differnt sock company stop working, for it made socks that wer recycled plastic threads, and my feet like d them, so did my health folks, 'Sigh' I am still not at full power., but I did tell my dad about your like of building his kit plane, I told him you were in the UK and that you worked on cars and stuff, working with some of the same tools, he used, I hope I diddidn't go to far, but I thought iiit might just be aismall fact to share, I didn't go into details, just said you used the same tools, He can get a bit worried about his the class its in, for their are different cclasses of aircrafts. I was very tired when I chatted with him, I only said in ge gengeneral, I have shared a few of his other projects with other folks,
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Sep 20 2021, 09:08 PM   #61
Zelandeth

It's always nice to hear folks swapping stories Ginny, you're more than welcome to pass on any details of my antics. Everything I do is a learning experience really. Some of it more so than I'd really like given it's nigh on impossible to get a garage to do anything beyond changing a tyre for you around here these days. They're just not interested.

Usually I have a rule where anything involving dismantling major suspension or steering components is done by a garage...too much potential for an absolute hell of snapped or rounded off fasteners totally immobilising the car there, which is immeasurably easier to sort with the car on a two or four post lift in a workshop than crawling around under it on the driveway. I've had to break that rule several times lately though as I simply had no choice as nobody would take the work on.

My take on garages like that is that if it's not worth their time, there's something far wrong with their pricing structure... I'd far, far rather have a job done right than cheap. My usual garage (who were snowed under at the time) and I have a good understanding at least. A job takes as long as it takes and it costs whatever it costs. They like me because I don't mess them about, and I understand that sometimes a job will be a pig for no good reason and take a couple of hours longer. If that happens I fully expect the invoice to reflect it, irrespective of what the quote said. Not that I usually bother with quotes with them anyway for the aforementioned reasons. They know if it was a simple job and/or could be done with domestic tools that I'd just do it myself anyway!

-- -- --

Really quick additional job on the instrument panel done today while I'm waiting for the transparency film to turn up.

Sanded back and repainted the speedometer pointer white.

Looks a good deal brighter back in the panel than it used to.

Another item on the "missing" list has been ticked off now too thanks to a friend.

Yep, she now has a parcel shelf again. Yes it's black rather than brown/beige but being a neutral colour it's less obtrusive than something like blue would have been. I'll take the wrong colour over missing anyhow.

At least it hides all the junk in the boot now.

Small details yes. Though I still see it as important as the less things which are missing, the more likely my enthusiasm to keep pushing forward on getting the car sorted is to continue.

Has it helped take the rate the thing hurls itself open at? Nope...it still wants to smash my teeth out!

A while back I had intermittent issues with the alternator on the Jag not charging... though it has been behaving for a while and I made the mistake of mentioning that within earshot of the car the other day.

It heard me apparently and rewarded me with this on the voltmeter today.

*Sigh*

I'll need to see if I can get the brush pack out with the alternator in situ (as I *really* don't want to have to mess about with the belt tensioners again). It doesn't actually look too hard to get at by the standards I'm used to on this car.

I'm sure I'll end up swearing a lot at that pair of power steering lines a lot though...

From the symptoms I'm hoping it just needs a brush pack as I really could do without spending on a new alternator on this right now...
Old Sep 20 2021, 11:27 PM   #62
SpaceCowboy

Fan of: "The Ship Who Searched"

Sometimes looking at the Jag engine I have the feeling that their engineers spend their days thinking of ways to make it difficult for people other than their mechanics fix them.

Quote:
It's always nice to hear folks swapping stories Ginny, you're more than welcome to pass on any details of my antics. Everything I do is a learning experience really. Some of it more so than I'd really like given it's nigh on impossible to get a garage to do anything beyond changing a tyre for you around here these days. They're just not interested.

Usually I have a rule where anything involving dismantling major suspension or steering components is done by a garage...too much potential for an absolute hell of snapped or rounded off fasteners totally immobilising the car there, which is immeasurably easier to sort with the car on a two or four post lift in a workshop than crawling around under it on the driveway. I've had to break that rule several times lately though as I simply had no choice as nobody would take the work on.

My take on garages like that is that if it's not worth their time, there's something far wrong with their pricing structure... I'd far, far rather have a job done right than cheap. My usual garage (who were snowed under at the time) and I have a good understanding at least. A job takes as long as it takes and it costs whatever it costs. They like me because I don't mess them about, and I understand that sometimes a job will be a pig for no good reason and take a couple of hours longer. If that happens I fully expect the invoice to reflect it, irrespective of what the quote said. Not that I usually bother with quotes with them anyway for the aforementioned reasons. They know if it was a simple job and/or could be done with domestic tools that I'd just do it myself anyway!

-- -- --

Really quick additional job on the instrument panel done today while I'm waiting for the transparency film to turn up.

Sanded back and repainted the speedometer pointer white.

Looks a good deal brighter back in the panel than it used to.

Another item on the "missing" list has been ticked off now too thanks to a friend.

Yep, she now has a parcel shelf again. Yes it's black rather than brown/beige but being a neutral colour it's less obtrusive than something like blue would have been. I'll take the wrong colour over missing anyhow.

At least it hides all the junk in the boot now.

Small details yes. Though I still see it as important as the less things which are missing, the more likely my enthusiasm to keep pushing forward on getting the car sorted is to continue.

Has it helped take the rate the thing hurls itself open at? Nope...it still wants to smash my teeth out!

A while back I had intermittent issues with the alternator on the Jag not charging... though it has been behaving for a while and I made the mistake of mentioning that within earshot of the car the other day.

It heard me apparently and rewarded me with this on the voltmeter today.

*Sigh*

I'll need to see if I can get the brush pack out with the alternator in situ (as I *really* don't want to have to mess about with the belt tensioners again). It doesn't actually look too hard to get at by the standards I'm used to on this car.

I'm sure I'll end up swearing a lot at that pair of power steering lines a lot though...

From the symptoms I'm hoping it just needs a brush pack as I really could do without spending on a new alternator on this right now...
SpaceCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21 2021, 04:03 PM   #63
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

I understand, my dad has one of his brothers help him with changing the oil in his motor scooter , and that was a bit of a adventure ,
I know that mmy timing was bad, for I just was using his kit plane as a example one that I am quite proude of, he as I said just worried that problems might pop up, but I also have told him others like ed his jeep too, Oh well.

-=-=
right now I am still mentally ffizz ed out, a former sttaff member has returned, I hope things will work out, with finding good supportstaff, for home helth / indpendent living care that they run, folks, are not stayying in the field and its hard to find folks willing to work, now that the baby boomers are retiring, and the younger generations are having to pick up the sss the load, I am sad to miss the staff, I have been with them for a long time, the payee part is different from the support care.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Sep 21 2021, 10:08 PM   #64
Zelandeth

Now for one of our irregularly scheduled occasional distractions.

While it's very unlikely anyone remembers, a few months ago I was able to get hold of a HP12C calculator. One of the Voyager series from the early 80s thanks to a friend picking one up for me that popped up on Facebook Marketplace.

The 12C is a bit of an oddball in that it's heavily specialised for the business and financial sector. Upon its introduction back in 1981 it almost immediately became hugely popular - to the point of becoming the defacto standard...which is why you can still go out and buy a brand new HP12C today. Yes the underlying hardware has gone through a few revisions, but it still works exactly the same and save for a slight change of the colours and updating a few keypad labels it still looks exactly the same. I believe mine dates from the mid 90s based on the handbook that came with it.

The Voyager range contained five models.

10C: A basic scientific calculator. This wasn't produced for long as it wasn't that much cheaper than the next model up despite lacking a lot of the features. Produced from 1982-84.

11C: Mid range general purpose scientific calculator. Produced 1982-89.

12C: Specialised for the business and financial sector. Produced from 1981 to the present day. Being HP's longest and best selling single device to date.

15C: An advanced scientific calculator. Produced 1982-1989 with a limited re-release in 2011.

16C: Specialised for use in computer programming applications. Produced 1982-89.

These have all got quite a following among collectors. The 12C being made in such numbers means that while they *do* change hands for substantial sums of money, if you're patient one will probably pop up somewhere. The rest of the range having been out of production for 30 odd years though means they are rather more sought after and finding cheap ones is harder. It's not unusual to see buy it now prices of around £250 on eBay for most of the. (The 16C seeming to command the biggest premium), so I'd generally considered them out of my reach.

Until a slightly cosmetically challenged 11C popped up with a reasonable-ish buy it now...I made an offer, it was accepted and a few days later I had this in my grubby paws.

First photo taken on that desk since I installed the new lighting a few weeks ago too.

I've always liked these...RPN, nice form factor, really nice keypad, but the 12C isn't really great as far as being a good one to grab because of it being so financially orientated. The 11C though should be far more usable. There is *absolutely* a learning curve though if you've not used one of these before!

The display does have a bit of bleed but it doesn't seem to affect the usability. The self test function - yes, these have a self test function (hold down the multiply key when turning the power on)...

...Turns on all the display segments to indicate a successful test. Like so.

The only indicator really affected is the one to show the blue "g" function key is active. Not going to worry about that.

Definitely an interesting little calculator and one I'm really glad to have got hold of. One day it would be nice to get the whole lineup (16C at least), but barring lottery wins that ain't likely to happen! I'm surprised I found this one to be honest even if it's a little scruffy cosmetically.

Back to the cars next.
Old Sep 22 2021, 08:31 PM   #65
Zelandeth

Actually had a few consecutive hours available today so flipped a coin between pulling the alternator on the Jag (which has of course started working again) and delving into the diagnosis of what's going on with the Merc.

Merc won.

Step 1 I decided was to have a proper look at the camshaft. I knew a couple of lobes were badly scored but wanted to see what state the bearings were in - I had a feeling they were likely to be shot and haemorrhaging oil, hence the less than stellar pressure at a hot idle.

Off we go again. Getting used to doing this now!

Let's have a peek at what lies under each of the rocker assemblies one at a time.

So what's behind door number 1...

Pretty much exactly what I was expecting to be honest.

An impressively scored up bearing with a lot of slack, which you can actually see looking closer. Pretty sure you shouldn't be able to slot a finger nail between the camshaft and the carrier.

Don't think I need to get a Plastigauge out to confirm there's too much free play there.

The cam followers feature some pretty epic scoring as well...the deepest of which must be about half a millimetre deep.

Number 2 was pretty similar, though with slightly more severe bearing scoring, cam followers were *slightly* less mangled.

This was the first one where I couldn't remove all of the bolts from the rocker frame itself because of how much carbon buildup there is in the bolt holes!

Number 3 however was where things got real exciting...

The cam followers are utterly wrecked, both inlet and exhaust.

That however pales into total insignificance compared to the state of the camshaft...

Wait...that doesn't look right, let me move a bit to get a better look...wait...what the? Oh hell...

Yep... pretty much the entire cam lobe of the number 3 inlet valve has been totally *obliterated.*

I'm pretty certain this is the most mangled non-broken camshaft I have ever seen... it's *definitely* the worst I've ever seen on a running engine. Never mind one that seemed to be running quite happily aside from being a bit rattly. That's easily 5mm plus change of material that has been worn away.

Number 4 also has quite a lip on the exhaust valve...which would have been impressive wear if we hadn't just seen the above photos.

Number 4 inlet actually looks normal!

The followers on this one were probably the least badly deformed of the lot, though that's not saying much.

Goes without saying that the whole camshaft assembly inboard of the timing sprocket is scrap metal. Well I don't think it is actually...this is more the sort of artefact that should be hung on the garage wall as a warning to future generations!

I did start the engine up with the rocker cover off briefly simply because I wanted to confirm we did have good oil flow up there, as there's obviously a load of damage been caused by oil starvation or *severe* contamination. We do - in fact so much oil is gushing out from around the rear two and front bearing that it totally overwhems the drains in the respective areas of the head and starts flooding over the top of the head after the engine has been running for about five seconds.

Probably why everything under the car looks like this and why so much was pouring out before the rocker cover seal was changed.

Definitely plenty of oil getting to the camshaft now...

Though sadly too late, this hardware was mortally wounded years if not decades ago.

There's like 1/8" of this gritty sludge just caked over everything.

If you remember back to when I first set the valve clearances I checked and found that the spray bar which runs above the camshaft was about 70% clogged, with the front most jet being the only one that was working properly. This ties in with where the most damage seems to be...so I'm calling on oil starvation as the main cause. The lack of zinc additives in modern oils probably hasn't helped given the cam follower design. A separate additive will definitely be going in with the oil once this mess is sorted out.

It's a bit hard to see, but in person you can make out glittery residue in the head valley around number 3 far more than anywhere else, which supports the thought that the mangled camshaft may be where a lot of the glitter I found in the oil had come from.

So if the bottom end has survived, we might just get away with a head swap.

Before going all the way down that lengthy road (being used to OHV engines a head swap on an OHC engine feels daunting!) I'd really like to take a look at the condition of the engine bottom end. Simple enough to get a quick health assessment done, drop sump, pop a couple of bearing caps off and see if we can see copper and if the crankshaft looks smoother than the surface of the moon. Simple enough.

Oh.

How the bleep do you get the sump off this thing? There's a stinking great cross member in the way. Sump appears to go back to about the red marker in this photo, a good foot or so behind the front of the aforementioned metalwork.

Even if I could figure out how to get to the half dozen or so bolts buried above it and removed the engine mount attached to it... I'm not convinced I'd have enough clearance to pull it out.

Think I need to go do some reading to figure out what really simple trick it is that I've missed...or getting the sump out will wind up with me 3/4 of the way down the road to removing the engine...by which point I may as well just take it out anyway! Feels like I must be missing something though given how serviceable most things on this car seem to be. I did wonder if the sump was split into a front and rear half, but if so I can't see the join.

Definitely an instructive day...and kinds good news in a way. The camshaft being so chewed up to this extent definitely would have an impact on oil pressure I'd think and we've definitely found a likely cause for the glitter. It's just possible the bottom end might have survived...

Either way I want to check the condition of it before going to the trouble and expense of a head swap. Plus given the amount of grime in and around the top end I fully expect the sump to be as bad or worse...and worry about the oil pickup strainer.

Now I just need to figure out how the fluff to get the sump off! Simple right?
Old Sep 23 2021, 11:54 PM   #66
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Quote:
Now for one of our irregularly scheduled occasional distractions.

While it's very unlikely anyone remembers, a few months ago I was able to get hold of a HP12C calculator. One of the Voyager series from the early 80s thanks to a friend picking one up for me that popped up on Facebook Marketplace.

The 12C is a bit of an oddball in that it's heavily specialised for the business and financial sector. Upon its introduction back in 1981 it almost immediately became hugely popular - to the point of becoming the defacto standard...which is why you can still go out and buy a brand new HP12C today. Yes the underlying hardware has gone through a few revisions, but it still works exactly the same and save for a slight change of the colours and updating a few keypad labels it still looks exactly the same. I believe mine dates from the mid 90s based on the handbook that came with it.

The Voyager range contained five models.

10C: A basic scientific calculator. This wasn't produced for long as it wasn't that much cheaper than the next model up despite lacking a lot of the features. Produced from 1982-84.

11C: Mid range general purpose scientific calculator. Produced 1982-89.

12C: Specialised for the business and financial sector. Produced from 1981 to the present day. Being HP's longest and best selling single device to date.

15C: An advanced scientific calculator. Produced 1982-1989 with a limited re-release in 2011.

16C: Specialised for use in computer programming applications. Produced 1982-89.

These have all got quite a following among collectors. The 12C being made in such numbers means that while they *do* change hands for substantial sums of money, if you're patient one will probably pop up somewhere. The rest of the range having been out of production for 30 odd years though means they are rather more sought after and finding cheap ones is harder. It's not unusual to see buy it now prices of around £250 on eBay for most of the. (The 16C seeming to command the biggest premium), so I'd generally considered them out of my reach.

Until a slightly cosmetically challenged 11C popped up with a reasonable-ish buy it now...I made an offer, it was accepted and a few days later I had this in my grubby paws.

First photo taken on that desk since I installed the new lighting a few weeks ago too.

I've always liked these...RPN, nice form factor, really nice keypad, but the 12C isn't really great as far as being a good one to grab because of it being so financially orientated. The 11C though should be far more usable. There is *absolutely* a learning curve though if you've not used one of these before!

The display does have a bit of bleed but it doesn't seem to affect the usability. The self test function - yes, these have a self test function (hold down the multiply key when turning the power on)...

...Turns on all the display segments to indicate a successful test. Like so.

The only indicator really affected is the one to show the blue "g" function key is active. Not going to worry about that.

Definitely an interesting little calculator and one I'm really glad to have got hold of. One day it would be nice to get the whole lineup (16C at least), but barring lottery wins that ain't likely to happen! I'm surprised I found this one to be honest even if it's a little scruffy cosmetically.
tHANKS FOR THIS, 'BIG GRIN' i DO RECALL A CLASS USING THE 10 KEY ONE, i DON'T RECALL WHAT TYPE THE ONES i USED, FOR THE PROGRAM
Back to the cars next.

Thanks for the memory trip,, 'big ggrin' I recall using one in a class that helped me by talking back what I typed, math is one of my learning problems, but I was glad to use the one that talked, to me, the one that I used to check my work, and to help my speed,, in typing didn't chat to me, It did have a large display , but once the thing printed out I had a harder time following, it. I just managed to to pass that cdclass, but it took two tries amdworking with the GOAL lab Math program to pass Business Math, I just p passed it, it was my least favored class to take during tech school, having a anxiety problems that were not helped and other stuff didn't help me out either,/. My math skill is stil,l not good, even worst I think now that I can't see. Nice fine, I do like reading/hearing /seeing history about the subject, of math, and how folks found the a answers, like in Dragonseye, Red Star Rising, as a ide.ion
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Sep 24 2021, 12:48 AM   #67
Zelandeth

Somewhat frustrating day here. Well on the Merc front anyway.

I wanted to have a look at what the journals under the camshaft looked like. More for the sake of my curiousity and because everything at this stage is an education.

Now this is where I fell into a trap that it sounds like many people working on these engines have. The only OHC engines with chains I've messed around with had tensioners which were either manually tensioned or ran off oil pressure. As the camshaft is keyed to the sprocket, provided I didn't let the chain go slack so it could slip at the bottom end it shouldn't be an issue.

Yeah...oops.

Turns out the timing chain tensioner on the M102 engine is near aerospace levels of over-engineered.

Tensioning method number 1 is an oil pressure actuated plunger as I'm used to.

Tensioning method number 2 is a spring based setup as a backup and to ensure it doesn't go slack when the engine isn't running.

What's caught me out is number 3. There's also a ratchet mechanism which means that the tensioner can add tension to the chain as it wears, but there's no way for it to go the other way...the only way to reset the thing to take tension off is to completely dismantle the tensioner. Which involves quite a bit of faff.

So I've now managed to move the car from "sick" to "non runner."

I did have the sprocket tied up, but apparently I gave enough slack that it now won't go back on.

Great.

I have read up on how the tensioner works, but working through such a small gap looks like a right pain. Hopefully I can get back to where we started out again tomorrow.

Oh, the camshaft bearing journals are scored to hell, exactly as expected.

Judging from how many stories I've read of people who have had things like snapped camshafts or timing chains after work on it or head gasket changes even done by professional garages, I'm far, far from the first to make this mistake.

The transparency film I'd been waiting for to sort the dash on the BX arrived.

Thankfully because I was working on a scan I had taken I knew the dimensions would be right when I printed it. Didn't look too bad at first glance (yes this is the wrong way round in the photo).

Though precisely as I expected opacity was clearly going to be a problem. There was also an issue with boundary alignment between black and coloured areas. I knew this sort of thing was going to be stretching the abilities of my printer so this was not a huge surprise.

I'd already got a plan in place for this though - and was one of the reasons why I made the image in several layers.

I printed this in several layers (from back to front):

2X with the colour filters and black borders (coloured areas slightly oversize to ensure the edges are pure).
1X with the borders and legends on.
1X with the borders only.

The result looks like this when held up to the light, looks a lot more convincing I think you'll agree.

I was just holding the sheets together by hand there which is why I have obvious registration errors visible.

With everything back into the panel it looks far better than the blotchy, faded original ones.

Such is the curse of digital cameras that it's really hard to get an accurate looking photo of how it looks when lit...but this is vaguely close. Colours still look more washed out in the photo and the hotspots aren't really that pronounced.

There is more of a hotspot than with the original filters but personally I don't find it objectionable. If that was an issue it would be easy enough to slot in a diffuser of some form behind the filter stack.

Opacity was going to be most critical on the left hand light bank as one of the dash backlighting lamps is behind it. So looking at this in the dark was going to be important to see if I could see the light bleeding through.

Using the night mode on my camera to obtain a really overexposed photo allowed me to confirm a solid "nope" on that. Exactly as I hoped.

The edge lighting on that panel for the car diagram is actually far more subtle, this is more accurate in how it looks.

Might get that dropped back in tomorrow. LED illumination hasn't been done yet, but I've too many projects going on right now so could do with it back in the car and off my workbench. Hoping in daylight I can get some better photos too.
Old Sep 24 2021, 01:14 AM   #68
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Quote:
Thanks for the memory trip,, 'big ggrin' I recall using one in a class that helped me by talking back what I typed, math is one of my learning problems, but I was glad to use the one that talked, to me, the one that I used to check my work, and to help my speed,, in typing didn't chat to me, It did have a large display , but once the thing printed out I had a harder time following, it. I just managed to to pass that cdclass, but it took two tries amdworking with the GOAL lab Math program to pass Business Math, I just p passed it, it was my least favored class to take during tech school, having a anxiety problems that were not helped and other stuff didn't help me out either,/. My math skill is stil,l not good, even worst I think now that I can't see. Nice fine, I do like reading/hearing /seeing history about the subject, of math, and how folks found the a answers, like in Dragonseye, Red Star Rising, as a ide.ion

Needed to warm up my fingers, so I can type, so folks can read what I type, I am a person that likes and understand s a lot of stuff, but find its hard to take my answer, and write or type it up, but I also recall a few tapes from our V CR collection, one was on how a few things s were builded. so I had too think on how to recall to a different post.

The oil mix sounds bad, I know its remind me of a discription of something happening to one of my kin car, or truck, I don't recall seeing it just hearing it, or it might be some bit of other type of equipment, farm I think, , my dad's brothers didn't do a good job keeping ttheir fleet running, and andthey tried to get the most money for the buck, or something like that, my dad didn't like their work ing conditions , and so he found oother work away ffrom the farm, when he could not get stuff like wood, or meat, from the family farm for he wasn't thought as what they form for their business ary mpy when he was in the war,, after he got out, they worked hard f. That is why he found other jobs working in lumber mills
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Sep 24 2021, 01:22 AM   #69
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Zen Hugs from across the pond,, the USA, I have had some stuff do that to me, mostly in computerstuff, more later, getting too ttired to post more, got a busy day start ing early in the morning.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Sep 24 2021, 06:48 PM   #70
Zelandeth

Well we've found why the BX speedometer doesn't work.

That little bit of plastic should be attached to the end of the lower cable. So unless I can come up with a bodge I'll be needing a new lower cable.

The dash is back together now though. Looks far less scruffy.

Before:

After:

All seems to be behaving.

I really had not appreciated quite how big a visual impact just repainting the pointer on the speedometer would make.

After dark I was able to take a look to see if the panel lighting was behaving...yep!

There used to be horrible blotchy bleed through here...

Much better now.

The slight bleed through on the right is actually just due to the frosted surface on the plastic light guide rather than light getting through the backing.

I've not been able to sort the clock yet so have just disabled it... having it show 0:00 every time the ignition was on was more annoying than it just not working. I'll get to that at some point in the future.

I've decided to take a step away from the Merc for a few days as I was just getting frustrated with it today.

Have discovered that to get the timing chain tensioner out (because I need to take it out and dismantle it to reset it so I can reattach the sprocket to the camshaft) I first need to remove the alternator. Of course one of the mounting blts is just spinning and I couldn't find the right size spanner to lock it in place. I'd already spent half an hour chasing tools around by that point and getting clocked on the head by the bootlid didn't help.

I'll get back to it after the weekend.

Oh. Looking at a car this weekend too. Yes I know...don't ask why!
Old Sep 24 2021, 07:39 PM   #71
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Fan of: No One Noticed The Cat

I think you need a two room house and a 50 bay garage, with a hydraulic "lift" for easy under car access!
Priscilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24 2021, 09:25 PM   #72
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

OOuch on that, Is a Spanner like wrench? I have only heard that in a Star Treck , and once I think in All the Wyers of Pern, I think, Speeking of Star Tr the actor who
played the original rench Captan Kirt, is going to space at age 90, heard that on the news, 'snorting' with LOL I don't know if that is a good/bad idea, Well he is paying his own wa, Well we have had them work with NASA but this is the f non one for money real life space torusment. just like the e-book which I shal have to get back you on, co written by Dr. Buzz Aldin and a different sic-fic writer, that I did enjoy, for the most part., it took me longer to read/listen to it, for if I could I would have found a different way to do it,, then the way it was written,, More on that later, when I g find the Sd card that has it on.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Sep 26 2021, 08:43 PM   #73
Zelandeth

Quote:
OOuch on that, Is a Spanner like wrench? I have only heard that in a Star Treck , and once I think in All the Wyers of Pern, I think...
Yes, spanner is the usual term over here for what would be called a wrench in the US.

-- -- --

Two entries in one today as I ran out of time and energy halfway through yesterday's one...

-- -- --

Currently I have five cars on the drive. That's two too many.

Current status of them...

[] Jag: Intermittent charging fault. Reeks of fuel when the tank is more than 3/4 full. Sold anyway, waiting for the new owner to complete their house move so they've got space to take it on. I intend to stick a fresh MOT on before it's handed over (and obviously sort the alternator).

[] Van: Working...though being 2.6 metres tall means it's not the most practical daily driver as so many places around here have height barriers.

[] Merc S123: Currently half way to having the cylinder head removed.

[] BX: Hasn't been on the road in at least 11 years, we're making progress but still a ways from being a working car.

[] Invacar: Working, though the brakes need adjusting.

So yeah...two out of five. Not a great average.

Absolutely the last thing I need is another project...so why the heck was I looking at one yesterday? Honestly I think the answer is because I'm an idiot.

I went to look at it with heavily tempered expectations, though was really quite pleasantly surprised at what I found.

So what did I find?

Looking a little bit sorry for herself from being in storage for several years and sporting a few dents and dings which have occurred during that time, but here she is.

Here's the real surprise though given this is an unrestored 70s Vauxhall...

Incredibly little rust for one of these. I did find a couple of crunchy bits though, would have been downright miraculous if there weren't a couple. One is a hole just in front of the rear offside wheel. Which is probably the most difficult one to sort as it'll be an awkward pig to get to with welding spatter going in my ear.

Oddly the nearside...which is where I'm used to there being the most rust...seems perfectly solid here.

The crispy looking bit at frame left is the wheel arch lip rather than anything more sinister, poor framing on my part.

The other bit of note is on the nearside front chassis rail. A patch was done for the last MOT this car was back in 2010, however rust has got into the seam and blown it out.

This initially looked quite alarming and had me thinking it was going to be a sigh and walk away situation when the whole surrounding area went "scrunch" when I poked it...but it didn't. It all feels solid and does look to be a case of cutting out that old patch and letting in new metal. It's one of those hugely rare instances where welding is concerned that it's both easy to get to and doesn't require half the car to be dismantled. Wheel off and one plastic fuel line to be tucked out the way should be all that's needed.

While we're under the bonnet already, look at those inner wings and shock towers...

We only had about a pint of petrol in the tank today so only managed a few minutes of running before running out, but she fired straight up and ran incredibly smoothly, albeit a bit tappety. Though from what I remember these engines did tend to rattle a bit.

This was about ten seconds after she was started up, so still on the choke.

https://youtu.be/lQuMSIKQChc

This was originally an automatic but suffered a gearbox failure somewhere in the distant past - why the car spent its first stint in storage for a while. Back in 2007 it was rescued and converted to a 5-speed manual using a gearbox from a Manta. I know for a while the previous previous keeper had been chasing an odd running issue which seemed to point at a timing problem, however we don't know for certain whether this was resolved or not...we haven't been able to replicate it though so I think there's a bit of crossing fingers and hoping there.

There will be a bit of repair needed under the battery as the panel there is a bit thin and there are a couple of pin holes. Access is fine though and I'm classifying that about a 0.2 out of 10 on the worry scale.

Being a GL this has stainless steel sill covers fitted...which is always a bit of a potential can of worms.

However from what I can see this is pretty much the story most of the way around.

I gave them a decent thump along the full length both sides and the only bit I could detect any give in was the last couple of inches at the rear on the nearside where I'm absolutely sure there's a hole.

Bottom and inner sides of the sill are still there though, so not panicking too much. Wouldn't be the worst repair ever.

While the exterior has survived the last 43 years extraordinarily well it's nothing compared to the interior.

The 80s Manta gearknob and gaiter have to go and be replaced with something more period appropriate. The console (which is also Manta I think) will need to stay as there's a gap in the carpet due to the gearbox change having required modification of the tunnel as the Cavalier one would normally be further forward.

This may have something to do with why there's so little wear there.

Always a sucker for a dash with funky warning lights that aren't just square or round, even if my camera couldn't make heads or tails of the colour.

The door card for the nearside rear is present, it was removed a couple of weeks ago when folks were looking at whether the dent in that door could be pushed out by hand. Needs a bit more strength than that, but I reckon both of these could be sorted to an acceptable standard without too much drama.

I have always had a soft spot for these. An almost identical car was actually the first car I ever drove at about age 12, so there's a lot of nostalgia there. Memory is a funny old thing, first thing I noticed was that I remembered the smell of the interior. Never actually driven one on the road though!

It's a car I've always liked, for all the front end styling is divisive. Just never come across one for sale that was for sale that wasn't rotten, heavily performance modified, too expensive for me or any combination of the above. I wasn't looking for this...and in fact deliberately avoided looking at it too closely when I was last over there a few weeks ago because I knew I'd wind up asking "how much?" if I did. Then it popped up for sale...so here we are.

This is pretty much spot on for what I'd like...tidy enough that it could clean up well with a bit of elbow grease, not having comfort destroyed in favour of track lap times, and a pretty simple car to work on.

Something will have to go to make way for it though!

-- -- --

Having finally picked up the brake pipe for the BX I really had no excuse not to get cracking on sorting it.

Somewhat to my surprise both ends unbolted from the unions with relatively little effort. Rounding those off was high on my worry list.

All of the lines look crustier than I would like...so I can see them all being changed before the car is pushed into use.

While the clamps holding the pipe were really fiddly to undo it wasn't really that difficult.

Putting the new one in was equally fiddly but without drama. All in was about two hours, though at least half an hour of that was fiddling around trying to figure out where half the tools were.

Oh.

Yeah...about my diagnosis of that pipe being at fault... totally wrong. It must be the main brake supply line to the rear axle. Really hard to tell as I can't see the actual location of the leak, but it's not suspension related as the leak only happens when the brake pedal is pressed.

That will be fun to change. I know the official way to do this involves dropping the subframe...which is a road I really would rather have avoided at this stage when I don't even know for certain how far from an MOT we are.

Bit frustrating to be honest having spent that amount of time on something which probably didn't need doing!
Old Sep 26 2021, 09:12 PM   #74
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Fan of: No One Noticed The Cat

You seriously do need a two room house and a 50 bay garage!
Priscilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28 2021, 09:23 PM   #75
Zelandeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla View Post
You seriously do need a two room house and a 50 bay garage!
I just need to stop finding interesting things!

Being realistic though, at least a double garage and properly decent sized driveway (with a sensible layout!) is absolutely essential on the requirement list for wherever we move to next. This hobby obviously isn't going anywhere!

-- -- --

Yesterday with fuel basically impossible to come by it was obviously a good idea to take out the most economical member of the fleet to run my errands. Especially as I had a can of petrol in the garage for the mower... enough to add about a quarter of a tank to the gauge in TPA.

Been a while since I got any new photos of her, so grabbed a few while we were out.

Guessing she will be out and about quite a bit this week.

Having now got hold of a 12mm Torx bit I had hoped to get some more work on the Merc done today...

Yes, the weather had other ideas. As a bonus there's about an inch of water in the garage again. Oh what fun.

My current plan is to swap out the cylinder head for my spare and see what happens. Basically as there's nothing to lose by trying save for a few hours of time and a gasket set. If it's the bottom end of the engine that's self destructing it should be pretty immediately obvious as the oil pressure will continue to decay and we will keep seeing glittery oil. At least then we'll know.

Aside from £500-£900 plus postage for a replacement engine itself, probably £150 of sundry parts I'd change while it was out, I'd need probably £2-300 of tools (not least but including an engine crane). I reckon that's a large enough chunk of money that it's worth a few hours of my time throwing spares I've got at it and seeing what happens. At the end of the day if it doesn't sort it I'll just unbolt the head again and it can go back into the spares store!

The arrival of the Cavalier on the scene really has complicated things... Really hadn't been anticipating any more automotive arrivals for a while. Very much looking forward to getting stuck into it though.

Biggest issue though is that I need to clear a space before I can get it delivered...Jag isn't going anywhere for over a month. Merc Currently is obviously...in bits. BX...well I really want to get that back on the road. Bah...need to make a slot somehow! Preferably quickly as I'd like to try to get at least some of the work done before the weather totally dives for the winter.

Yes it will be delivered. I know it's technically MOT exempt, but I'm not about to go all Vice Grip Garage on this...I know the front brakes are shot, there's a bulge in the nearside front tyre the size of an egg, we're missing part of the exhaust, and it's been sitting in a shed for at least 11 years. Plus there may have been an unresolved running issue prior to that. If I was still in the back end of rural Aberdeenshire, maybe if I changed the tyres, made sure it actually ran well and sorted the brakes...Down here...not happening!
Old Sep 29 2021, 01:16 AM   #76
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

White Re: Zel's Automotive Antics & Occasional Distractions.

Quote:
Yes, spanner is the usual term over here for what would be called a wrench in the US.

-- -- --

Two entries in one today as I ran out of time and energy halfway through yesterday's one...

-- -- --

Currently I have five cars on the drive. That's two too many.

Current status of them...

[] Jag: Intermittent charging fault. Reeks of fuel when the tank is more than 3/4 full. Sold anyway, waiting for the new owner to complete their house move so they've got space to take it on. I intend to stick a fresh MOT on before it's handed over (and obviously sort the alternator).

[] Van: Working...though being 2.6 metres tall means it's not the most practical daily driver as so many places around here have height barriers.

[] Merc S123: Currently half way to having the cylinder head removed.

[] BX: Hasn't been on the road in at least 11 years, we're making progress but still a ways from being a working car.

[] Invacar: Working, though the brakes need adjusting.

So yeah...two out of five. Not a great average.

Absolutely the last thing I need is another project...so why the heck was I looking at one yesterday? Honestly I think the answer is because I'm an idiot.

I went to look at it with heavily tempered expectations, though was really quite pleasantly surprised at what I found.

So what did I find?

Looking a little bit sorry for herself from being in storage for several years and sporting a few dents and dings which have occurred during that time, but here she is.

Here's the real surprise though given this is an unrestored 70s Vauxhall...

Incredibly little rust for one of these. I did find a couple of crunchy bits though, would have been downright miraculous if there weren't a couple. One is a hole just in front of the rear offside wheel. Which is probably the most difficult one to sort as it'll be an awkward pig to get to with welding spatter going in my ear.

Oddly the nearside...which is where I'm used to there being the most rust...seems perfectly solid here.

The crispy looking bit at frame left is the wheel arch lip rather than anything more sinister, poor framing on my part.

The other bit of note is on the nearside front chassis rail. A patch was done for the last MOT this car was back in 2010, however rust has got into the seam and blown it out.

This initially looked quite alarming and had me thinking it was going to be a sigh and walk away situation when the whole surrounding area went "scrunch" when I poked it...but it didn't. It all feels solid and does look to be a case of cutting out that old patch and letting in new metal. It's one of those hugely rare instances where welding is concerned that it's both easy to get to and doesn't require half the car to be dismantled. Wheel off and one plastic fuel line to be tucked out the way should be all that's needed.

While we're under the bonnet already, look at those inner wings and shock towers...

We only had about a pint of petrol in the tank today so only managed a few minutes of running before running out, but she fired straight up and ran incredibly smoothly, albeit a bit tappety. Though from what I remember these engines did tend to rattle a bit.

This was about ten seconds after she was started up, so still on the choke.

https://youtu.be/lQuMSIKQChc

This was originally an automatic but suffered a gearbox failure somewhere in the distant past - why the car spent its first stint in storage for a while. Back in 2007 it was rescued and converted to a 5-speed manual using a gearbox from a Manta. I know for a while the previous previous keeper had been chasing an odd running issue which seemed to point at a timing problem, however we don't know for certain whether this was resolved or not...we haven't been able to replicate it though so I think there's a bit of crossing fingers and hoping there.

There will be a bit of repair needed under the battery as the panel there is a bit thin and there are a couple of pin holes. Access is fine though and I'm classifying that about a 0.2 out of 10 on the worry scale.

Being a GL this has stainless steel sill covers fitted...which is always a bit of a potential can of worms.

However from what I can see this is pretty much the story most of the way around.

I gave them a decent thump along the full length both sides and the only bit I could detect any give in was the last couple of inches at the rear on the nearside where I'm absolutely sure there's a hole.

Bottom and inner sides of the sill are still there though, so not panicking too much. Wouldn't be the worst repair ever.

While the exterior has survived the last 43 years extraordinarily well it's nothing compared to the interior.

The 80s Manta gearknob and gaiter have to go and be replaced with something more period appropriate. The console (which is also Manta I think) will need to stay as there's a gap in the carpet due to the gearbox change having required modification of the tunnel as the Cavalier one would normally be further forward.

This may have something to do with why there's so little wear there.

Always a sucker for a dash with funky warning lights that aren't just square or round, even if my camera couldn't make heads or tails of the colour.

The door card for the nearside rear is present, it was removed a couple of weeks ago when folks were looking at whether the dent in that door could be pushed out by hand. Needs a bit more strength than that, but I reckon both of these could be sorted to an acceptable standard without too much drama.

I have always had a soft spot for these. An almost identical car was actually the first car I ever drove at about age 12, so there's a lot of nostalgia there. Memory is a funny old thing, first thing I noticed was that I remembered the smell of the interior. Never actually driven one on the road though!

It's a car I've always liked, for all the front end styling is divisive. Just never come across one for sale that was for sale that wasn't rotten, heavily performance modified, too expensive for me or any combination of the above. I wasn't looking for this...and in fact deliberately avoided looking at it too closely when I was last over there a few weeks ago because I knew I'd wind up asking "how much?" if I did. Then it popped up for sale...so here we are.

This is pretty much spot on for what I'd like...tidy enough that it could clean up well with a bit of elbow grease, not having comfort destroyed in favour of track lap times, and a pretty simple car to work on.

Something will have to go to make way for it though!

-- -- --

Having finally picked up the brake pipe for the BX I really had no excuse not to get cracking on sorting it.

Somewhat to my surprise both ends unbolted from the unions with relatively little effort. Rounding those off was high on my worry list.

All of the lines look crustier than I would like...so I can see them all being changed before the car is pushed into use.

While the clamps holding the pipe were really fiddly to undo it wasn't really that difficult.

Putting the new one in was equally fiddly but without drama. All in was about two hours, though at least half an hour of that was fiddling around trying to figure out where half the tools were.

Oh.

Yeah...about my diagnosis of that pipe being at fault... totally wrong. It must be the main brake supply line to the rear axle. Really hard to tell as I can't see the actual location of the leak, but it's not suspension related as the leak only happens when the brake pedal is pressed.

That will be fun to change. I know the official way to do this involves dropping the subframe...which is a road I really would rather have avoided at this stage when I don't even know for certain how far from an MOT we are.

Bit frustrating to be honest having spent that amount of time on something which probably didn't need doing!
Wel Well my uncle the one that passed away, usuckent cup from one
of his b bath bars, to pop out a dent on my dad's truck, I hope things
are doing OK for you in department, see What is happening II post,
mixed up wtih the other messages., I also thanks for the translation, M dad, has does know how to wel, he learned from his brothers, in the
service, he used it state-side, in Eurepe he was a track driver. and
did a lot of stuff , my uncle was in the UK during the Korean War, he
was the one that tought dad how to weld, but my dad showed him how to use a welder, wire and the current, to cut fome insulation,, later on.
SStuff he learnedwhdelivers around the USA and Canda for most of my childhood, I just happen to rrecall that as I am heading for bed.

Sometime I hate it when I can say or see what I want to or hear, what I want to spell, and then when I try its don;t work out right.
Have a good day, good night, frfrom USA.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Sep 29 2021, 07:21 PM   #77
Zelandeth

Back at it this afternoon.

Step 1 I decided was to label the handful of wiring connectors which would need to be removed. Have to admit this is one of the reasons I love K-Jet injection systems...so simple electronically.

IAC valve is hiding just out of shot above the frame.

Checking it with a straight edge the spare head appears to be flat. Once it's had a good clean I'll inspect it closely for any signs of damage. Being used to relatively tiny and not performance focused OHV engines those valves look positively huge. I guess that's the real bonus of an oversquare engine with a crossflow head...more room for big valves.

I'll be transferring my inlet manifold complete with fuel distributor over, but I'll be removing it from the head off the car. Both as the inlet manifold will give me something to get hold of to help lift it and because a couple of the retaining bolts are a real pig to get to with it in the car.

Definitely want to use mine though. Assure from it being filthy it looks like the plastic housing on the fuel metering head has started to fail on the spare.

A vacuum leak there could cause absolute mayhem with regards to fuelling. Hoping the one currently on the car is better or I'll need to come up with some sort of repair.

Let the strip down commence!

A huge surprise arrived midway through this when I went to tackle the part of the whole job I have been dreading the most. Removing the exhaust manifold.

I have never had to remove one on a car which has not been an absolutely horrible war of a job.

Right up until today. This just unbolted from the head without any drama whatsoever. Okay, was a 50/50 mix of the nuts unscrewing and the studs winding out of the head but that's irrelevant as far as I'm concerned. I have never known a manifold come off that easy. Ever.

So...this brings us up to here:

[] Rocker cover, camshaft carriers/rocker assemblies and camshaft removed.

[] Exhaust manifold clear of head.

[] Coolant drained (block drain is hidden behind exhaust manifold, hence choosing that sequence). Oil had already been drained before we started.

[] Throttle cable and gearbox kickdown cables disconnected.

[] Various electrical connectors disconnected and de-threaded from the vacuum pipework they wound their way through before.

[] Vacuum line to brake servo disconnected at manifold end.

[] Engine earth strap disconnected from inlet manifold.

[] Fuel flow and return lines disconnected and moved clear (after discovering the hidden 10mm bolt holding them to the fuel distributor.

[] Disconnected heater hose from rear of head.

[] Removed half a dozen small bore vacuum lines, not forgetting the near invisible one to the gearbox.

[] Unbolted the thermostat housing from the front of the head.

[] Removed the top alternator mounting bolt.

[] Removed head bolts ( including the sneaky ones right at the front and the *really* sneaky one over by the warm up regulator masquerading as a plugged coolant sensor hole.

Yeah...to put into perspective how filthy this head is, this is how much gunk I had to scoop out of the head bolt heads before I could get the bit into them properly.

That is probably the best part of 1 X 2 cm.

After a certain amount of swearing we got to the point where the head has split from the block.

However I haven't so far been able to get it to separate around the full perimeter quite yet. I've also realised that due to the design of the timing chain tensioner that I need to faff around with that first before I can fully remove the head. The tensioner has a pin which passes through the middle of the loop of the chain...so either than pin needs to come out or the chain needs to be split. Apparently the inner of this pin however is threaded so you can wind a bolt into it and then pull it out of the head... we'll see if that's true tomorrow.

Kinda feels like a failure that I didn't get the head fully out today, I had really hoped to. We're about 95% of the way there though.

I can't start rebuilding things yet anyway as I'm still waiting on the head and inlet manifold gaskets (exhaust ones are of a type which should be fine to reuse) to arrive. Depending on what the weather is up to tomorrow we'll hopefully either get the whole head off the car or start stripping down and cleaning the spare one.

I'm telling myself to stop being lazy and lap the valves in, though I can't for the life of me tell you where my valve spring compressor is...

It's a bit of a strange engine to work on...a lot of it is really well thought out and easy, but every now and then there are just a few bits which are seemingly needlessly complicated or awkward. The non-resettable timing chain tensioner and chain guide you need to use a puller/slide hammer to remove from the head immediately spring to mind.

I have checked the measurements of the head bolts and they're all well within spec so should be fine to be reused. I can't see any evidence of this head ever being off before so far so not a huge surprise.

Just need a really good clean as like everything, they're covered in sticky black tar.

As is now about 3/4 of my toolkit, the garage door, my hair and the side of the van.

Hopefully we'll have good progress to report tomorrow.

Of course just to add to the fun the heavens decided to open just as I was tidying up...and immediately stopped about the second I closed the garage door.

With a bit of luck we'll be able to do a side-by-side comparison of the two heads tomorrow.
Old Sep 29 2021, 09:43 PM   #78
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

I might nnot always post feedback, but thanks, some of the stuff you are currently working on is helping me with a idea on the back burner, one way I ID's stuff like that is with a zip tie, or a plastic like bread tie, like you get in headphones, and other stuff, I also used a color of the zip and the color of my power strip, the buzz strip is what my dad's calls one. where you can pplug in more then one item to a plug in, mine was colored afor different equipment., then I took a P pony bead, and added it to the different ones a match if they were the ssame type. Just a few ways I dID's stuff,, now That I can't see, I am going to see if I can make recycled tags from some platic,, to stick on my recordable tags, kinda got that idea a from my very crafty grandmother and hher bookmarks,, and other stuff she has made over my life time.

Hope gas problem isn't effecting you and the other UK members of Mom.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Sep 30 2021, 04:06 PM   #79
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Sometimes, I feel like a new dragon pair, when they'unable to do what is needed', I can say just not spell it, which is making me just a tad frfrustarated , like I can say the English UK version of gas. but not spell it, I come up with a cannon name of a rider from Red DStar Rising in the UK or Dragonseye here in the USA. Petro what do you know I think I have it, 'LOL Sourly at myself' I hope you folks in the areas of the UK have what you need to get stuff done, I have been following this on the T, and I worry for you all. Cross-posting to other threads this message
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Oct 2 2021, 12:44 AM   #80
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: PiF

Petrol is the word you're looking for, GinnyStar.

I've been following this thread with interest, and I sympathize with the too many cars problem.

We have a garage and a carport, so decent space for two cars. In our front yard, there's also uncluttered space, with room enough to reverse easily out of the carport, for either two cars, or a car and a trailer. Trouble is, we have four cars, as well as a trailer...

We currently have a 1988 Volvo 740 sedan, a 1999 Opel Astra hatchback, a 2008 Citroën C4, and a 2009 C4 Picasso. I only drive the last two because they're automatics, or rather, semi-automatics that you can shift in manual mode with paddles, but that's optional. I need my left leg firmly on the floor to anchor me, otherwise I get disoriented very easily.

Our 2008 C4 has some sort of weird gearbox trouble at the moment that my husband's trying to sort out, but it's possible we're going to have to scrap the car. There's no point in doing a 2,500 euro repair on a 1,000 euro car! So we aren't going to replace the whole gearbox.
granath is offline   Reply With Quote