A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

Old Aug 12 2021, 08:26 PM   #1
Violetlight

Pronouns: She/her
Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: "The Last Human" by Zack Jordan
Default Would it be possible to Impress a Dragon *and* be a Wher-handler?

There are plenty of dragonriders who Impress fire lizards, but I can't think of a single instance in canon where somebody has been able to have a dragon and wher at the same time. The closest is Lessa and Kindan having previously been wher-handlers (and it's uncertain whether or not Lessa was a real "handler" for Ruatha's watch-wher or not), but they Impress their dragons after their whers have either died or bonded with someone else.

Imagine how much differently "Dragonflight" would have gone if Lessa's wher (either Lessk or Ruask, probably), had survived. Do you think she *could* have Impressed Ramoth and kept her bond with the wher? I'm pretty sure R'gul and his cronies would have thought twice about trying to hold Lessa back with a snarling, protective wher in her corner. Wher bonds are specifically, by design, not as strong as the bonds between dragons and riders, so it seems at least theoretically possible to me.
Violetlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13 2021, 05:09 PM   #2
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Pronouns: SheShe
Fan of: PShPern BB, Tia., and Oth
Now Reading: MHOP, Books Jerry Apps, Too Many to Post
Default Re: Would it be possible to Impress a Dragon *and* be a Wher-handler?

Well she could be blooded to the Whatch-where for they are to know all of the the bloodline of the hold/cot/hall/ and Wyer Search was the short Sttory tht became Dragonflight. So Anne was just start to buld her would,. In Dragonblood, I do recall that Nuella was worryied that the hatching queen/gold was wanted her, but wanted someone else and that is was from Todds fir from his first solo work, and his own writing stile is a tad bit different then Anne, I an still working on gegetting Gigi book, yet, so I oand as for that book I d Don't have a audio copy of Dragonsblood/Bld to check myself I do have the hard copy but no way to see it.

Therewas a I also recall from that book, that if the handler becomes a rider, the whatch-where become cons cnot safe to be around till they found a nnew one or in that case BBendsk sp when between, For that one had problems and would not re-bond I think. For Wind Blossom was told thaqt the handler had impressed and was had hapen to Perter Tubermer's son was harded and bronght to her by M'hall fro treement, she that one needed to distroyed but she had gone betwen allready she was very old. PS I ha SOmetime I have to give more then I plan to explaon my self, and I have got all the coding quite sorted ou5t and adoved is recalled from my hasy memory, from when I still had it on Tape not on CD or Audi file.

So II don't , Sometimes of them are only bblooded to the watch-whwher but even that bond well hurt, Dragon Kin is where I read that one, but I am unsure, I h listen to that sec part of it in a bit. I hope I have gi given some food for thought. Onething is that I think, thththat Lessa was being both part of the bloodline, and that sheused her hold's watch-where den, was the only reason she stay safed, also she was the only one that could control the beast there, too me That old watcatch-wher knew its duty I don't recall if AAnne gave when she wow was thinking of gender for it, but I think maybe a gold, for it didn';t renet on it dduity to the hold's bloodline that it was protecting, even to the cost of it light, For Lessa told to prot and be aggressive o to her if others where near, and also someone of the blindline should not leave the hold, where F'lar was taking to her to th Wyer,. t In it own mind and how training and orders from her/.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13 2021, 06:09 PM   #3
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Pronouns: She/her
Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Relentless Moon by MRKowal

Theoretically possible, but I don't think it would ever be allowed to happen in canon. Watch-whers are an odd mix of requiring more care and handling than a firelizard but yet as weak or weaker a bond than a firelizard. There care clearly could be handed off to someone else (as they usually bond to the whole family of a Hold), and given how all-consuming of time and energy a dragon bond is, I don't think it would be allowed to continue after Impression, they'd be expected to give up the watch-wher.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15 2021, 07:34 AM   #4
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: PiF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl View Post
Theoretically possible, but I don't think it would ever be allowed to happen in canon. Watch-whers are an odd mix of requiring more care and handling than a firelizard but yet as weak or weaker a bond than a firelizard. There care clearly could be handed off to someone else (as they usually bond to the whole family of a Hold), and given how all-consuming of time and energy a dragon bond is, I don't think it would be allowed to continue after Impression, they'd be expected to give up the watch-wher.

I agree with Cheryl on this one. I know that Anne herself considered Todd's Pern writings canon, but I don't, at least in the cases where he clearly contradicts what she's written before. Watchwhers were barely mentioned in Anne's writings, and when they were, it was mostly to comment on how ugly they were in comparison with dragons, and that their loyalty was to the family of the hold. It's been a while since I read the Pern books, but I seem to remember that many hidebound Pernese were rather shocked to learn that the watchwhers were related to the dragons.
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17 2021, 08:03 PM   #5
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Pronouns: SheShe
Fan of: PShPern BB, Tia., and Oth
Now Reading: MHOP, Books Jerry Apps, Too Many to Post

I don't know if my post 'when between' on me or not, But if there was a impression and that cold/hold/hall/mine whatch-wher hanlder did impress,and I was the family of the watch-where I would keep folks away from the den/kennel till a new was found, for think of the confustion, that would cauuse., also timeing would be a diffrent factor, for how , what IF the handler didn't then, I would get back to my duties as soon as I could,. I am just wonder here, something just crossed my mind, its related to that bond but I should all split it a different post,, what abouty miss-reading what about miss reading/understand ing your whatch-wher?

Dask was snapish before they were in the mine the last time, and proddty, could that be additional factor on a misunderstanding in understading them? Its comcome Dragon's Kin and the translated of the handler in Dragonseye/DE and/or Red RRast Rising/RSR too. The comment of Kindin brothers to the others is the only time we see them proddy, outside of the one in Dragon's Fire. I have a few thoughts and trying to breake this post is going not to be easy as I thought, need to reset my Jaws, my screen reaader no help till Wed. but then I shall come back and see if I can with a title for th thread I got nother my a bblank.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote