A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Library Foyer > Events Board

Events Board Information on site-sponsored and member-sponsored events: trivia contests, gathers, etc.

Old Jul 4 2008, 12:00 AM   #1
Pernaficionado
Inactive

Fan of: Dragonsong
Now Reading: brainships
Default A Las Vegas Gather?

I just thought I would send out a line and see if there were any fish in my pond.

If anyone wanted to make a bit of a trip and wanted a venue, our renaissance fair is the first weekend in October. This is good because it is the beginning of the off season so hotels are a bit cheaper if anyone needed an overnight. I can sleep one on my pull out as well.

I know this particular window conflicts with the California gather that is typically hosted at the end of October, or maybe crowds it a little. I am open to other times, I just thought I would fish for local MoMers
Old Jul 4 2008, 02:15 PM   #2
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Pronouns: SheShe
Fan of: PShPern BB, Tia., and Oth
Now Reading: MHOP, Books Jerry Apps, Too Many to Post
Question Re: A Las Vegas Gather?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernaficionado View Post
I just thought I would send out a line and see if there were any fish in my pond.

If anyone wanted to make a bit of a trip and wanted a venue, our renaissance fair is the first weekend in October. This is good because it is the beginning of the off season so hotels are a bit cheaper if anyone needed an overnight. I can sleep one on my pull out as well.

I know this particular window conflicts with the California gather that is typically hosted at the end of October, or maybe crowds it a little. I am open to other times, I just thought I would fish for local MoMers
Great idea, but I don't think I can make it sound like fun. We use to have one here in Wisconsin call Log Jam but not easy to get to, if you do go could you post some images and keep up today? I may not good to them but I enjoy reading about them.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8 2008, 01:30 PM   #3
Masterharper Bridget
Inactive

Fan of: Name one I don't have!
Now Reading: Deprived of time to read at moment.
Default Re: A Las Vegas Gather?

I'll let our friend Glideth know and have him contact you. He might be interested.
in the Tropical Island Chain
of the Western Continent
Masterharper Bridget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8 2008, 05:54 PM   #4
Weyrlady
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Fan of: DroP/Canth fangirl
Now Reading: Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon

Yay!! Another local person! I would defenitely be interested in coming, if at all possible (which depends how life is going at that point!) Flag isn't too far from Vegas; about 3 hrs on I-40.

I used to work for the NPS at Lake Mead, and live near Boulder City, so I'm a little familiar with your area.

I can think of 1 other local person who is on these boards, but have no idea if he would be interested. OK, R'na, where are you?
Old Jul 10 2008, 12:56 PM   #5
Masterharper Bridget
Inactive

Well, our Halloween Harvest Gather looks like it will be on the 26th, If you have yours at the same time we might be able to link up. And if you have it some other weekend I might just try to show up. (Provided my sister is staying home, which means I can make the Great Escape.)
of the Western Continent
Old Jul 13 2008, 09:58 PM   #6
Pernaficionado
Inactive

well if we can generate enough interest, possibly the weekend of oct 4/5? our ren fair actually runs from that thursday to that sunday, i believe. tickets are 10$/ day or 30$/for the whole four days, atleast if their pricing has not changed. I know it is normally the first weekend in october, but i will have to check with parks and rec to be absolutely sure. I set it so far out because my family is movin August 31st because are lease is up, which means that will not be able to afford to drag all of us to the late october gather in cali, but gives me enough time to recover financially and physically(Moving a library is hard work) so I can host a small get together at my home perhaps, and/or a larger one else where! I would love for anyone who knows anyone to spread the word! link to this thread or contact me by pm and i will give you my email. you may pass it to interested parties.

By the way I totally understand if gas prices or finances or just plain old personal preference limits you to only one gather, so if you need to choose, Go to Bridget's!
hers sounds amazing and I don't want to step on the toes of established gathers. I can always have another at a time that does not clash with anyone elses.
Old Jul 14 2008, 01:08 PM   #7
Sharon
Inactive

Cool Re: A Las Vegas Gather?

I'm interested.

Perhaps MHB and I can both make a Great Escape. Goodness know we could both do with one. Plus we could share gas and hotel expenses, and split the driving from our area to yours.

Margaret, wouldn't it be lovely to go to a gather where we don't have to get there early to set up or be tied to the grill for hours?
Old Jul 14 2008, 02:10 PM   #8
Masterharper Bridget
Inactive

I'm up to it. And to not have to set up. Would not bother me in the least!!!
of the Western Continent
Old Jul 14 2008, 09:50 PM   #9
Pernaficionado
Inactive

that sounds really great everyone!! Now, do we want to meet and attend the renfair, do we want to meet at a park with grill and set up for the day there, or should I look into renting the clubhouse in my new apt. community and possibly have use of the pool? or some combination of the above?
Old Jul 15 2008, 06:50 PM   #10
Masterharper Bridget
Inactive

Okay I'm definately comming. I talked it over with Crystal, and she'll stay home with Dad.
of the Western Continent
Old Jul 16 2008, 12:14 AM   #11
Pernaficionado
Inactive

I will keep everyone in the loop via this board on plans, my new address, where sunset park is etc. I would like a count of interested parties for ren fair because it does represent additional expense for participants if that is where we would like to meet up. Otherwise I will work something else out entirely. La Quintas and Best Westerns usually have the best deals and are EVERYWHERE but as soon as I am leased I will pm my address so that the web can be searched for the best deals and locations for those interested in overnighting.
Old Jul 16 2008, 12:19 AM   #12
Pernaficionado
Inactive

oh, by the way....
Should I be expecting any children along with our interested MoMers?
Children are welcomed, of course. I have a 5 yr old who would love the opportunity to make some new friends. I just like to have some kind of idea about groups and/or the need for planned activities.
Old Jul 21 2008, 08:39 PM   #13
Weyrlady
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Hi Pernaficianado!
The gather sounds wonderful, but at this point in my life it's hard for me to plan that far ahead! Can I let yoou know on this board at a later date when I'm a little more sure?

Good luck with your move!!
Old Jul 22 2008, 06:00 PM   #14
Pernaficionado
Inactive

absolutely weyrlady! I don't plan on finalizing numbers or activities or anything else until maybe the latter half of september. Right now I am mostly looking for " a show of hands" for those who would like to participate and for any of the ideas suggested.

Incidentally to all, my new complex is decided, it will be in the Henderson area, near both sunset park,(for those interested in ren fair) and McCarran airport for anyone one going online for accommodations.
It is always impossible to tell when the cold will hit out here, so I have no idea how long the pool will be a good temperature to swim, but for interested parties, my complex offers an indoor spa
and for those interested in ren fair and a potential opportunity to bust out with the cool costumes and/or shoulder dragons, I do not recommend anything heavy as it is still very warm here that time of year, typically in the mid to upper eighties and often brushing the nineties in the mid afternoon.
Old Jul 22 2008, 06:03 PM   #15
Pernaficionado
Inactive

OH!!! on the subject of web linking, I have no idea how to do that, or what equipment I would need. MHB, a little help?
Old Jul 23 2008, 03:11 AM   #16
Masterharper Bridget
Inactive

Well if it's the first weekend in October, I'll have my lappy with me and we can work it out from there. I am definately up for it. Do you have WiFi there? if not I'll be swipping my daughters Cell card.
of the Western Continent
Old Jul 23 2008, 11:07 AM   #17
R'na
Dragonrider

Fan of: dragonriders of pern
Now Reading: Random Fanfiction
Gold Re: A Las Vegas Gather?

I'm here sounds like fun. What would it cost? Sorry I'm late responding just been busy getting my car up and running. No promises right now but put me down as tenative.
Old Jul 23 2008, 08:26 PM   #18
Pernaficionado
Inactive

GAs and road trip food for those who are making a bit of a drive and after that, I dunno, depends what we plan on doing and how long you wanna stay, whether you will need additional accommodations, etc. If you plan on attending ren fair, its usually ten dollars for a day pass, and whatever you want to bring for shopping or food. All the shows or demonstrations are free. The possibility for a day at sunset park are also posted, they have a nice volleyball area if anyone out there has a ball( and possibly a net, i will have to check on that) or maybe i can grab one, and other than that it is just a really loveley park. Also the idea of meeting at my new community's pool, or making use of the indoor spa depending on how cool it gets by then. Plans are pretty open, it depends on what all you MoMers want to do!
I believe the Ren Fair option is the only one with additional expense other than traveling, everything else would be handled by me, although I would appreciate any help, eg a potluck sort of contribution if we do a picnic or pool party. I understand if the travel time makes that too difficult, but I do appreciate any offers or assistance.

Incidentally, I do have a router and Wifi set up in my house and linked to my desk top, but I have no idea how to set it up somewhere like a park! I have an additional receiver but that doesn't do any good with out a preexisting network. Therefore I welcome assistance from all who are much more knowledgeable than I(which is almost everyone)
Old Jul 30 2008, 01:19 PM   #19
Masterharper Bridget
Inactive

I believe that the Ren Fair you mentioned is being held the 10th, 11th, and 12fth of October if it is the one held in Sunset Park.

( I did a little checking on the wesite:
http://www.lvrenfair.com/ )

Do you still want to have it the Weekend of the 4th/5th ot the following weekend?
of the Western Continent
Old Jul 30 2008, 07:59 PM   #20
Pernaficionado
Inactive

Yes MHB, that is the one.
I couldn't find info at first ant it is typically the first weekend, but oh well.
OK EVERY ONE!! WHO WANTS TO GO TO REN FAIR!!!!!

We can switch or not, depending on the numbers.
Old Aug 3 2008, 04:02 PM   #21
Masterharper Bridget
Inactive

Well, I'll tell you what I'll make the arrangements to stay at a nearby hotel if you give me a definate date. Then you'll know for sure that I'm coming.
of the Western Continent
Old Aug 3 2008, 09:29 PM   #22
Pernaficionado
Inactive

OK, since we don't have a show of hands on way or another, I am going to say Sunday October 14th, say noonish? That way anyone who wants to go to the renfair has time for it, and then we can all meet for an afternoon BBQ at my community, and take advantage of the amenities. I hope that allows everyone who is interested the chance to come, I am also hoping it allows the commuters more flexible travel options so they can choose to just come for the gather on Sunday or renfair and the gather. Ideally, though, I would like to combine both things and do it Saturday the 13th.
PLEASE EVERYONE LET ME KNOW NOW FOR SURE WHAT YOU THINK/WOULD LIKE WHILE IT IS STILL EARLY ENOUGH TO BE FLEXIBLE FOR EVERYONE!
Old Aug 4 2008, 12:49 PM   #23
Masterharper Bridget
Inactive

Great, I will book the room sometime before Wednesday for the Columbus Day Weekend (Friday the 10th thru Sunday the 12th).
of the Western Continent
Old Aug 4 2008, 09:35 PM   #24
Pernaficionado
Inactive

Yay! Can't wait to meet in person! Is Sharon Still coming with you MHB?
Old Aug 8 2008, 02:23 PM   #25
Masterharper Bridget
Inactive

Got the room booked for 2 on Oct. 10th thru 12th at Crestwood Suites at corner of S. Las Vegas Blvd and E. Warm Springs Rd.

Looks like it might have been one of those efficiency appartments remodled into a hotel. We'll see if it looks as good as the pictures. We still have a few weeks yet, but I'm really looking forward to the break this will mean for me. Not to mention the new friends to be met.
of the Western Continent
Old Aug 10 2008, 03:26 AM   #26
Moonlady
Triumping over Hell

Fan of: Crystal Singer series
Now Reading: Spirit Dances by CE Murphy

I want to go, may I share a room with someone -- MHB or Sharon? I can have the boys stay with my mom that weekend. I need to spend some time with you guys -- I miss you terribly and our night out did not seem to work this month.
Old Aug 10 2008, 03:47 PM   #27
Weyrlady
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Quote:
OK, since we don't have a show of hands on way or another, I am going to say Sunday October 14th, say noonish? That way anyone who wants to go to the renfair has time for it, and then we can all meet for an afternoon BBQ at my community, and take advantage of the amenities. I hope that allows everyone who is interested the chance to come, I am also hoping it allows the commuters more flexible travel options so they can choose to just come for the gather on Sunday or renfair and the gather. Ideally, though, I would like to combine both things and do it Saturday the 13th.
PLEASE EVERYONE LET ME KNOW NOW FOR SURE WHAT YOU THINK/WOULD LIKE WHILE IT IS STILL EARLY ENOUGH TO BE FLEXIBLE FOR EVERYONE!

Well I find it nearly impossible to think that far ahead with certainty and admire anyone who can! I'd love to go to Vegas that weekend, but am not sure if it will work for me because I'm planning to out of town the weekend after that. However, the gather sounds like it'll be a great time!
Old Aug 10 2008, 11:52 PM   #28
Masterharper Bridget
Inactive

Quote:
Moonlady . . . I want to go, may I share a room with someone -- MHB or Sharon? I can have the boys stay with my mom that weekend. I need to spend some time with you guys -- I miss you terribly and our night out did not seem to work this month.
I have no problem with that. I still haven't heard from Sharon yet, and it isn't that much extra to add a third person.

Quote:
Weyrlady . . . Well I find it nearly impossible to think that far ahead with certainty and admire anyone who can!
Over the years when leaving things for others to arrange things for me, all too often I encounter one, if not both of the following problems:
. . The first being, there has either been a big gap between what I myself would expect and what others seem to think I expect. ( Not that I'd ever say anything unless it was really so bad I'd )
. . The second is that everything gets forgotten or put off till the last possible moment, and in the last minute rush to arrange things a lot of little stuff that may not seem important at the time, gets overlooked.

I've learned to either plan well in advance, so everyone knows exactly what to expect, and if changes must be made there is plenty of time to do it in without causing anyone else any hassle.
The alternative is to seem entirely impulsive, think of everything before I say anything to anyone, and then making the arrangements so quick no one can dispute them. (Which is what I did in this case. It's sort of a necessity when dealing with my family. )
of the Western Continent
Old Aug 11 2008, 02:42 AM   #29
Pernaficionado
Inactive

LOL!! I only wanted to know what people would most like to do if they could come, so i could plan it for the appropriate time and provide MHB a date so she can book because she requested it. That didn't mean you have to finalize whether or not you are coming weyr lady. Just an opinion of "Hmmmm, ren fair sounds like fun." or " No, I am not really interested in that." was all I was looking for. Please don't be offended, I have a hard time making the printed word communicate exactly what I mean as I have discovered I say things more clearly with my tone than my words. The tone here is meant to be something like <chortling with amusement> or < said while laughing at my own sillines> Something like that anyway.
MHB, I hear ya there! only with long term planning it seems like catastrophe strikes at the last minute! As a result I have gotten very good at the 'think everything thru then implement before any one can object strategy.' I am also especially excellent at the 48 hour move, in which I am informed that I need to move, locate a new residence, and pack and move to the new place while leaving nothing behind and no mess. It is a royal pain but I have had lots of practice. I am so thankful to be doing it all at a nicer pace this time. I am actually procrastinating because I have so much time! I tend to do much better in "crunch time" oh well it will all get done.
Can't wait to see you all!!!
Old Aug 18 2008, 07:56 PM   #30
Weyrlady
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Oh, no worries there! I'm certainly not offended or anything! Pernaficiando, I really admire your ability to pull off "48 hour moves"; I've done a few of those myself. . . Hectic yes, but it seems that the new place I'm moving to is always interesting.
Old Aug 26 2008, 01:00 AM   #31
Pernaficionado
Inactive

see what I mean about catastrophe? shoulda been packed up wednesday and unpacked again by friday. NOPE!!! it still looks like a moving truck crashed into my apartment! I finally have my kitchen and my computer back though so all is well plus it seems like everything is happening in these last two weeks. Oh well, I should have it all taken care of before ya'll come visit. can't wait to see everyone!!!
Old Aug 26 2008, 09:06 AM   #32
Topaz the Golden
Inactive

Fan of: all of them
Now Reading: anything I can get my hands on

would love to go to vegas but money is a problem right now my baby sister is turning 21 in November and x mas is soon.

YES but it brings back a tree!!!!!!
Hi my name is Michelle and I can't stop reading.(I have no plans on stopping now)
Books are like potato chips just can't read one!!!!!!

Michelle
Topaz the Golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28 2008, 01:27 PM   #33
Pernaficionado
Inactive

Awww, that's too bad Topaz. We would love to have you. Let us know if things work out a little better later on, Hon.
Old Sep 9 2008, 03:59 PM   #34
Masterharper Bridget
Inactive

FOUR WEEKS TO GO !!!! YEAH!!!

Dena and I are more than ready to go mentally and emotionally. Hey Sharon! How about you?
of the Western Continent
Old Sep 11 2008, 05:35 PM   #35
Pernaficionado
Inactive

ONLY FOUR MORE WEEKS?
imnotreadyimnotreadyimnotreadyimnotreadyimnotready imnotreadyimnotreadyimnotready

just kidding, i'm ready
Old Sep 22 2008, 04:50 PM   #36
Masterharper Bridget
Inactive

Eighteen Days till Dena and I show up in Las Vegas - approx around 11:00pm (allowing for driving and dropping off kids at Grandmother).

Talked about an all night anime fest on the drive up but She will be in back seat while I drive, so I only get to hear it But that's cool cause I've seen them all before.
of the Western Continent
Old Sep 22 2008, 09:06 PM   #37
Pernaficionado
Inactive

AWW!!!! Oh well. How would you watch while you were driving anyway?!?!? This is why I have lots of audiobooks YAY!!! Can't wait! (see new avvie)
Old Sep 23 2008, 04:42 AM   #38
Moonlady
Triumping over Hell

Fan of: Crystal Singer series
Now Reading: Spirit Dances by CE Murphy

So can't wait til MHB and I arrive in Las Vegas.

This past week at work was "hell" and so far this week is starting off better except now I am sick.
Old Sep 24 2008, 09:03 AM   #39
Topaz the Golden
Inactive

Fan of: all of them
Now Reading: anything I can get my hands on

Quote:
Awww, that's too bad Topaz. We would love to have you. Let us know if things work out a little better later on, Hon.
still love to but money is still a problem. Hopefully next year I need some time off from my job.

YES but it brings back a tree!!!!!!
Hi my name is Michelle and I can't stop reading.(I have no plans on stopping now)
Books are like potato chips just can't read one!!!!!!

Michelle
Topaz the Golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10 2008, 01:05 AM   #40
Masterharper Bridget
Inactive

I'm Leaving in a "98" Buick La Sabre around three,
I'm getting Dena, and we'll be on our way as soon as we're loaded.
With any luck we'll be in Vegas by 11:30 pm.
I'm sending my Cell number to Pernaficionado via e-mail tonight.
I just got to remember to charge my bluetooth ear piece before I go to bed.
( Don't want to get a ticket do we )
of the Western Continent