A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café

The Library Café Come in, relax, and get to know the other members of this site. Share your hobbies and interests, along with general news of your life.

Old Jun 15 2022, 01:56 PM   #1081
R'zil

Pronouns: He/him
Fan of: Pern and Talent Series
Default Re: What is Happening, part II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla View Post
It's about 75 degrees here in southern Connecticut. We will get more heat and humidity later in the summer so I'll enjoy this now! That is very hot where you are. I don't like it when it gets above 90. Love our air conditioning!
It's a high pressure dome of heat that's been moving in from the southwest. It's supposed to stay like this through the weekend. I've got some errands to run tomorrow so I'll have to be out in it some but then it's back into the AC until it cools off .
R'zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15 2022, 09:35 PM   #1082
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Pronouns: SheShe
Fan of: PShPern BB, Tia., and Oth
Now Reading: MHOP, Books Jerry Apps, Too Many to Post

I feel for you, still under a weather watchm, and I have a early Dr. apointment in the morning. Just pop in to say I am safe, I haven't talked yet to my dad, butsome damage in the towns or ssmall citties were he get s his VA care at, south of me, don't know how bad, but damage is having a lot of the roads not clear or power, is off,
Sorry if I was yelling didn't know I had cap lock on or off, but a storm storm with high winds south of him, is also making me worried for others too. I have family near there helping family members.

I didn't get to sleep till late, mymind didn't slow down till early in my morning, and this weather has made it harder to get back into rythem ,, More well have to come later.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16 2022, 12:10 PM   #1083
Zelandeth

Fan of: Dragonsdawn
Now Reading: Working my way through the whole Pern series

Have had temperatures of 85F here today and it's horrible. I know that's nothing to a lot of you folks, but the UK just isn't set up to deal with heat like this. It's very unusual to find a domestic property here with air conditioning, even new builds going up now. Thankfully we do have some portable split units which allow us to keep a few rooms habitable, without it no chance I'd still be a functioning human being in weather like this.

Of course the downside to the AC is that with energy prices as they are over here just now it's costing us somewhere around $1/hour to run...per room. What fun...
Zelandeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16 2022, 01:54 PM   #1084
R'zil

For us 85 degrees would be a nice summer day if it wasn't too humid. As it is we're getting high temps and high humidity too, which is the worst.
Old Jun 16 2022, 03:40 PM   #1085
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

We went to 88 today, tomorrow's going even hotter. What's air-conditioning?

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16 2022, 05:20 PM   #1086
R'zil

P'ter, I know you live in the UK but are you serious? I just checked our weather and it's 99 degrees here with a heat index of 113. Luckily I have central air.
Old Jun 16 2022, 09:30 PM   #1087
SpaceCowboy

Fan of: "The Ship Who Searched"

Been in the high 80's low 90's here in northest Indiana. Actually feels nice to me since the humidity isn't all that bad. The bad news is that northeast Indiana had the third derecho in 10 years blow through on Tuesday. Think a straight line tornado with no spin. There are areas of the city and surrounding counties that still don't have power. And in one of the crazier twists the last two times the end of town where I live was the part most effected. The northern part got it bad this time.
SpaceCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17 2022, 08:41 AM   #1088
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Pronouns: She/her
Fan of: the Pern books

Yesterday,had to go to the hospital ER. Got back at 12:15 am Eastern time. System had leaked again. Bossy girl still says I mess with the system! Last night while I was in the hospital, I fell asleep but woke up when I felt something on my skin. Had to clean myself up. Whenever I have to clean up after the puppies, a male housemate sees it! He knows the truth! Bossy girl claims she does the majority of the cleans up! Fat chance!!

Last edited by BD1; Jun 17 2022 at 08:09 PM.
BD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17 2022, 06:35 PM   #1089
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Fan of: No One Noticed The Cat

There is a once a year festival in the next town this weekend that always coincides with Father's Day. Craft booths, food booths, a few kiddie rides, various musical entertainment and a road race on Sunday. We used to go but parking has gotten difficult so we won't be going. At least it looks like the weather will be good.
Old Jun 17 2022, 08:16 PM   #1090
Mausey

I don't do heat well so anything over 75 is almost too much for me. We finally got some much needed rain so with the moisture and temps of around 88 it's unpleasant for most people. We're used to cold, not heat. We haven't had the air conditioner on yet but if this keeps up on it goes. We only run it enough to drop the temps a few degrees and that works for us.
Old Jun 17 2022, 08:25 PM   #1091
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

I own a charger cube that has 2 places you can put a charger cord, but I'm not allowed to use the second place to charge my tablet!
Old Jun 17 2022, 08:27 PM   #1092
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

I am with you, Mausey. I would rather be cold than hot. You can always put more clothes/blankets on, once you get down to skin in the heat there are no more "options!" There IS air conditioning but I for one do not want to live somewhere that most of the year I have to hide indoors from the heat and humidity! I like going for walks!
Old Jun 18 2022, 11:14 AM   #1093
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

Lynchburg got hit hard by storms yesterday. In Concord we got a lot of wind, but no rain.

Thursday took Kibby to work, running errands, every time I start the Tahoe it dragged a little. Not much just took a couple of seconds to start. On the way to Shhets, gas station, I called Hubby & told him. When I went to start it at Sheets it would not start. Had lights & stuff, but would not turn over. Hubby had a friend come to Sheets, tried jumping it. Nope, still nothing. We figured jumping wouldn't do anything. By this time it was after 9pm. Kibby got off work around 10pm. Sister has tonbe at work at 11pm. Driving to pick me & Kibby up, take us home & get back up town is at least an hour. Which would have made sister late. Luckily a man sugge6tapping the starter. He got under the Tahoe, tapped it. It finally started. I was very happy it started. Hopefully we'll have a new starter on it before Tuesday.

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18 2022, 11:28 AM   #1094
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Our daughter's car would not start when she got ready to come home from work on Wednesday. Luckily someone had jumper cables and that got it started and she got home. It was a very hot, humid day. Her car battery was the almost 6 year old one that came with the car. Jeff told her to call AAA and get a new battery. She did that and it's been fine since. Apparently high heat and humidity are just as bad on old batteries as cold.

I hope you get that new starter.
Old Jun 18 2022, 12:35 PM   #1095
Allen

Fan of: The Pern Series
Now Reading: Robin Hobb's Shaman's Crossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawra View Post
Lynchburg got hit hard by storms yesterday. In Concord we got a lot of wind, but no rain.

Thursday took Kibby to work, running errands, every time I start the Tahoe it dragged a little. Not much just took a couple of seconds to start. On the way to Shhets, gas station, I called Hubby & told him. When I went to start it at Sheets it would not start. Had lights & stuff, but would not turn over. Hubby had a friend come to Sheets, tried jumping it. Nope, still nothing. We figured jumping wouldn't do anything. By this time it was after 9pm. Kibby got off work around 10pm. Sister has tonbe at work at 11pm. Driving to pick me & Kibby up, take us home & get back up town is at least an hour. Which would have made sister late. Luckily a man sugge6tapping the starter. He got under the Tahoe, tapped it. It finally started. I was very happy it started. Hopefully we'll have a new starter on it before Tuesday.
Whacking the starter... Yeah, that's pretty much a Chevy thing.
Old Jun 18 2022, 05:55 PM   #1096
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Earlier this month, my doctor scheduled a CT scan appt for today, but the part of the hospital I was supposed to go to was closed for the weekend! Gotta wait till Tuesday to reschedule for the CT scan! Then I'll phone a transportation company. I'll make sure to write down the confirmation number. Earlier today, bossy girl lied to mom by telling her that I had scheduled today's appt! My doctor was the one who had set up the appt! He told me yesterday that I'll have my illeostomy reversed in a few more months! Then no more having to deal with this stupid bag, or the constant leaks! He also wants me to gain some weight!
Old Jun 18 2022, 07:57 PM   #1097
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

A while back, I opened an instant caramel coffee for my roommate. After I had opened it, she wanted me to open her instant mocha coffee! She now says she had not told me to do that! "You know I finish one before starting the next one!"
Old Jun 19 2022, 07:33 AM   #1098
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Happy Father's Day to all the dads and those who fill those shoes.

My dad would say; "My next song will be a dance." Which I think meant "and now for something completely different!"
Old Jun 19 2022, 02:43 PM   #1099
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Happy Father's day to all you fathers.

Old Jun 19 2022, 05:33 PM   #1100
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Brown Re: What is Happening, part II

Happy dad's day to all the dads!
Old Jun 20 2022, 08:43 PM   #1101
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

I have blossoms on some of my pumpkin plants. Many of the sunflower seeds I planted are nearly ready to flower. I did a variety; tall, miniature and red blossoms. I have some bee balm that is about 4 feet high and it had better have flowers. It only grew about a foot high all last year and no flowers. I told it if it had no flowers this year I was pulling it out! Sometimes you need to be firm with plants!
Old Jun 20 2022, 09:01 PM   #1102
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

My mom said she's gonna send me to a nursing home because my skin barriers leak at night. People say I'm messing with the systems. As far as I know, I'm not messing with it! Last night, I woke up and felt my right side was wet! I looked and saw the barrier was leaking! So I woke bossy girl up. She claims she cares about me. If that was true she would have asked mom not to send me to the nursing home. She did not! People lie about me and others believe the lies!
Old Jun 21 2022, 12:18 AM   #1103
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Pronouns: SheShe
Fan of: PShPern BB, Tia., and Oth
Now Reading: MHOP, Books Jerry Apps, Too Many to Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
My mom said she's gonna send me to a nursing home because my skin barriers leak at night. People say I'm messing with the systems. As far as I know, I'm not messing with it! Last night, I woke up and felt my right side was wet! I looked and saw the barrier was leaking! So I woke bossy girl up. She claims she cares about me. If that was true she would have asked mom not to send me to the nursing home. She did not! People lie about me and others believe the lies!
Zen Hugs, Well think of it this way, if she sends you there, the bossy girl , 'has ;' to do her own work, not uunless she finds someone else to be bossed around by her as hservent or what Lessa wwas h pretending to be for 10 long Turhns/years

In other ways I and dad are safe, we are going to get the day before my birthday and combind Father's Day and my Birthday , I need to remind myself that r roads might be a bit more busy its Charkfest Weekend and Sidewalks sales in the downtown , so we might have more folks , its fun different folks take segments of the downtown 400 Block and makdrawings on them, with chalk and people can win prizes for them, its ben pair up with Bloon Raillly at our Airport in Wausau, WI and a Ribfest , note Ihad a bad weekend so I am not at full power, but our DownTown Airport , Wausau WI has some folks , WI last year, more later, for I am fizzing out. PS I may have more
to share later on this, don't know shall have to 'see;' what I can
find. dropping buy in history, and was part of a event for EAA, Oshkosh
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21 2022, 01:18 AM   #1104
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Bossy girl even says I mess with the skin barriers! I have them under my shirts and my hands are nowhere near them! How can I mess with them?!? They leak on their own! She says I don't pick the runt puppy up but last Saturday, she told me to carry it up the hill!! In fact, at one point, I said "it's trying to pull my pants down!" Squirming in my arms! People believe her lies! Says I lie! My skin barrier is leaking once more!

Last edited by BD1; Jun 21 2022 at 05:57 AM.
BD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21 2022, 06:02 AM   #1105
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

If my intestines fell asleep again, that would solve the problem of my barriers leaking!
Old Jun 21 2022, 06:49 AM   #1106
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

I had an aunt who lived in a lovely nursing home for almost 30 years. She had her own room and bathroom, there were crafts and short local trips, a nice yard to play croquet. Three very good meals in the dining room every day. Pleasant staff and other residents. She was on Title 19 after her little bit of savings ran out. It really became "home" to her.
Old Jun 21 2022, 07:53 AM   #1107
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

I've heard bad things about nursing homes in the last 23 years or so. Btw, what happened to her? I once knew a girl who was 1 quarter from graduating from nursing school, she was told her internship would be in a nursing home, she quit school. She did not want a stint in the nursing home! She'd heard bad things about nursing homes!
Old Jun 21 2022, 08:06 AM   #1108
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

My aunt lived there from about age 50 to 82. She died there, about 30 years ago now. I am sure there are decent places and some that are not good. I am in Connecticut. There are Masonic assisted living places that sound nice and a number of other places.
Old Jun 21 2022, 08:47 AM   #1109
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

I live in Ga.
Old Jun 21 2022, 09:21 AM   #1110
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

My cousin and his wife were at a lovely place called Park Springs, near Stone Mountain, GA for years. She had Alzheimer's and died a couple years ago but at 94 he is still active and still living there. They lived in Atlanta most of their married life but were originally from Massachusetts. We visited them once when we came to Atlanta for Dragoncon.
Old Jun 21 2022, 10:20 AM   #1111
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

I was a volunteer at Dragon Con from 2001-2005. I worked in Convention Registration! I enjoyed it! One time this girl kept telling me I was an imp, so eventually I told her "my name is ortant!" Imp ortant! That shut her up!
Old Jun 21 2022, 10:40 AM   #1112
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

We went for maybe five years, until it became impossible to get a hotel reservation. I don't remember when our first year was. It was an interesting experience but I would not go back now.

My cousins had a cute single story home in the suburbs. I believe they had an apartment at Park Springs. He probably still has the same place.
Old Jun 21 2022, 11:14 AM   #1113
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

2005 was the last time I was at Dragon Con . I had earned a five year pin. I remember, one year I had a hotel room in the host hotel. Me and a man dressed as a Klingon were trading insults! At one point, I told him "better a round head than a Bone head!!" Hee hee! That was back in the '90s.
Old Jun 21 2022, 11:50 AM   #1114
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Might end up in a nursing home soon! My barrier started leaking again in the night! Was in the bathroom trying to tape it! Would that be considered as messing with it? I don't want the stuff to mess up my clothes!
Old Jun 21 2022, 12:03 PM   #1115
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

If I do end up in the nursing home, hope they have wifi.
Old Jun 21 2022, 03:11 PM   #1116
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

People are always in my lane minding my business! Next time I'm told "stay in your lane", I'll say to myself "Sorry, y'all are doing that already!" Or if I'm told "Mind your own business." I say in my head " sorry that job's already filled. "
Old Jun 21 2022, 03:28 PM   #1117
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

This morning, I made my own appt for the CT scan, then I set up my own transportation! Bossy girl said I should have let her set up transportation for me. Earlier this month, she did that and did not give me the confirmation number! I had needed that when bossy girl called the transportation company to see where my ride was! Eventually, I learned the place I needed to go to was closed for the weekend!
Old Jun 21 2022, 04:05 PM   #1118
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

I wonder why (sarcastically) bossy girl has yet to tell mom why I keep getting up! Oh, wait! She'll get fussed at! Can't have that! When she gets fussed at, she starts crying and talking loudly. When I get fussed at, I accept it. No crying from me. Next time, mom calls to get onto me, I'll ask her if she told me to sit somewhere, and stay there. I'll say I keep having to get up!
Old Jun 21 2022, 04:23 PM   #1119
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

I've been to Dragoncon 3 times. Including 2008, Anbe McCaffrey last one. Loved it all 3 times.

Out Tahoe has new starter & is running great.

Old Jun 21 2022, 04:40 PM   #1120
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

I did enjoy going to Dragoncon. It was a lot of fun, especially the year I had the Hobbit lady costume Aranel made for me. I still would not go again.

I'm very glad the Tahoe appreciates its new starter.