A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café

The Library Café Come in, relax, and get to know the other members of this site. Share your hobbies and interests, along with general news of your life.

Old Jun 7 2022, 05:22 PM   #1041
Mausey

Default Re: What is Happening, part II

Chickens just lull you into a false sense of security, those critters will eat almost anything. If one got any kind of sore the others would literally peck it to death trying to get the meat. We always had a large cardboard box in the basement for a chicken hospital. Dad has a nasty purple antibiotic spray he'd put on the sore and the birds would live in the house for a week or so and then back to the pen. They not only love ticks but slugs as well. Mom usually got about 100 to 150 chicks every spring. They stayed inside for about 2 to 3 months then we transfered them to the big coop and fenced outdoor run. There were always about 6 that we couldn't keep in so every night there was a chicken hunt.
Old Jun 7 2022, 07:45 PM   #1042
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Fan of: No One Noticed The Cat

My goodness! I had no idea the "secret lives of chickens!"

My dad told about a pet chicken he had. It would follow him around and he would set it on the sled in front of him in winter and they'd ride down the hill together!

On the other hand, I would get white ducklings every Easter for a few years when I was maybe 8 to 10. They would follow me through the front yard, down the hill and into Long Island Sound off our beach for a nice splash. When they decided they were done they headed back up the hill. Those that did not get eaten by foxes or others (Our pen was not as secure as it could have been) ended up being given to a family a few miles away that had ducks and a pond. I was "assured" my duck would live a long, happy life. I have since wondered if it actually ended up "a l'orange."
Old Jun 8 2022, 12:31 AM   #1043
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Pronouns: SheShe
Fan of: PShPern BB, Tia., and Oth
Now Reading: MHOP, Books Jerry Apps, Too Many to Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla View Post
If you all ignored it she'd have to stop. Doing what she wants gives her WHAT she wants. I do not understand any of this. You do not like it and complain about it yet still let her do it? Makes no sense. Does anyone ever tell her to cut it out?
tHANKS THIS IS WHAT i HAVE BEEN TRYING TO SAY TO bd1, "sORRY" i DO WISH i COULD HAVE FOUND THE WORDS EARLY ON, BUT THAT THOUGHT i SECOND. oH MY ! HAD A LOT OF PROBLEMS, SOUND S LIKE A FEW PROBLEMS TO ME, THERE bd1, iF THEY USE WHAT YOU ARE SPEAKING OF ON THOSE TICKS, THEN THE PERSON WHO RENTING OUT THE CHICKENS , WON;'T GET ANY EGGS OUT OF THIS, OR MMAYBENONE AT ALAmy I never could spell her username like a lot of others here and other related AmC sites, might have a idea she rases them, was more onPF or NKT, or if you can check my wall looking for hen house, I posted one to her real name in the early when we had three sites, and just after PFP switched to FB. I haven;'t been on for still to hard yet to run via keyboard, but she might have a few pointers. I hope I got things covered before I go on to new stuff.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8 2022, 04:15 PM   #1044
Mausey

One year my cousin smuggled a chick home on the Grey Hound bus to the city where she lived. That hen lived in the basement all winter and as soon as the snow was mostly gone she was in the back yard. Every kid on the block knew "Clucky" and on the advise of parents or grandparents often brought small bags of crushed egg shells for her. That hen had egg shells like iron. Our hens on the farm got crushed oyster shells for the same result. Clucky had a great life and produced eggs for almost 10 years. She was a talkative bird and when picked up would sort of coo and cuddle.
Old Jun 8 2022, 04:26 PM   #1045
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

What a lovely chicken story! I am guessing the backyard Clucky inhabited was fenced in and maybe not too large (with no predators about). I had no idea chickens could live that long!
Old Jun 8 2022, 08:20 PM   #1046
Allen

Fan of: The Pern Series
Now Reading: Robin Hobb's Shaman's Crossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
"You're not supposed to lift anything. You'll aggravate that thing on your stomach and end up in the hospital again." Then I hear "fill the mop bucket and bring the mop and the bucket to me." A bucket with water in it is heavy!
Water weighs over 8 pounds per gallon. By itself. Plus the bucket, plus the mop.

Next time, remind the bi... er, bossy person of that and that she just told you to not lift heavy things.

I get the impression that you're too sweet-natured for your own good. Tell her off. What's the worst that can happen, she gets mad and won't talk to you? THAT sounds like a DILLIGAF moment, to me.
Old Jun 8 2022, 08:54 PM   #1047
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Pronouns: She/her
Fan of: the Pern books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen View Post
I get the impression that you're too sweet-natured for your own good. Tell her off. What's the worst that can happen, she gets mad and won't talk to you? THAT sounds like a DILLIGAF moment, to me.
You're right about that! I guess I tend to be a people pleaser. What's DILLIGAF stand for?
Old Jun 8 2022, 10:19 PM   #1048
Allen

Fan of: The Pern Series
Now Reading: Robin Hobb's Shaman's Crossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
What's DILLIGAF stand for?
Do
I
Look
I
Give
A
F**k
Old Jun 9 2022, 09:07 AM   #1049
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

@ Allen. Gotta wait until August 16th to have the CT bag removed! A little over two months from now! Allen, have you heard the song "Savage Love" ? There's also a GMA version of the song.
Old Jun 9 2022, 10:33 AM   #1050
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

If I end up back in the hospital, won't be my fault!! Gonna get blamed for it! Still having to carry the mop bucket!

Last edited by BD1; Jun 9 2022 at 01:46 PM.
BD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9 2022, 01:50 PM   #1051
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Bossy girl claims she's the only one cleaning up after the puppies. Tell me why she has recently told me to get the poop up in their cages! That's her version of being the only one cleaning up after the puppies?!?

Last edited by BD1; Jun 9 2022 at 05:28 PM.
Old Jun 9 2022, 02:07 PM   #1052
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Daughter's boyfriend's younger brother and his wife just got a 4 month old black Lab mix puppy. Very sweet and Joe says he's a "very good boy." They named him Vader!
Old Jun 9 2022, 02:12 PM   #1053
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

The boss (how I refer to her) says I haven't been getting filtered water from the fridge, so I shouldn't start! Today was not the first time I went to get the filtered water!

Last edited by BD1; Jun 9 2022 at 05:28 PM.
Old Jun 9 2022, 05:52 PM   #1054
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

I went to the grocery store today and saw a woman who is now retired but cashiered at another grocery for many years. We both recognized each other and it was good to see her looking well. Funny how you can have a 20+ year connection to someone and all you know about them is that their name is Dorothy. I bet SpaceCowboy can relate to that!
Old Jun 10 2022, 11:11 AM   #1055
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

My system started leaking overnight, even though I changed it last night. Have to tape a bunch of gauze around my skin barrier so my clothes don't get nasty! Might have to go back to the hospital for awhile this afternoon after dinner. I'm out of skin barriers. Wearing the last one! Gonna get more barriers if I go to the hospital!

Last edited by BD1; Jun 10 2022 at 03:10 PM.
Old Jun 10 2022, 05:10 PM   #1056
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinnyStar View Post
tHANKS THIS IS WHAT i HAVE BEEN TRYING TO SAY TO bd1, "sORRY" i DO WISH i COULD HAVE FOUND THE WORDS EARLY ON, BUT THAT THOUGHT i SECOND. oH MY ! HAD A LOT OF PROBLEMS, SOUND S LIKE A FEW PROBLEMS TO ME, THERE bd1, iF THEY USE WHAT YOU ARE SPEAKING OF ON THOSE TICKS, THEN THE PERSON WHO RENTING OUT THE CHICKENS , WON;'T GET ANY EGGS OUT OF THIS, OR MMAYBENONE AT ALAmy I never could spell her username like a lot of others here and other related AmC sites, might have a idea she rases them, was more onPF or NKT, or if you can check my wall looking for hen house, I posted one to her real name in the early when we had three sites, and just after PFP switched to FB. I haven;'t been on for still to hard yet to run via keyboard, but she might have a few pointers. I hope I got things covered before I go on to new stuff.
I know who youre talking about she was on Pernese Friends. Can't remember her name.

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11 2022, 06:47 AM   #1057
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Went to the hospital yesterday, I'm back now! I hope this system lasts until my other supplies get here!
Old Jun 11 2022, 08:09 AM   #1058
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Gonna be offline today!
Old Jun 11 2022, 09:53 AM   #1059
SpaceCowboy

Fan of: "The Ship Who Searched"

Yeap but the difference is at least three of my regular customers and I have connections outside of my work. 1 is my 2 youngest nieces former babysitter and we are friends of the family. Two others I worked with at others stores. Plus I believe my stepdads nephew shops here but I don't ring him up as a regular.

Quote:
I went to the grocery store today and saw a woman who is now retired but cashiered at another grocery for many years. We both recognized each other and it was good to see her looking well. Funny how you can have a 20+ year connection to someone and all you know about them is that their name is Dorothy. I bet SpaceCowboy can relate to that!
SpaceCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11 2022, 05:56 PM   #1060
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Brown Re: What is Happening, part II

I'm back home! Gonna be offline again tomorrow, though. The bossy girl asked me why I let a cellphone nearly go dead! It was in her purse! That makes it HER responsibility not mine! My fault it was in her purse! I had not put it in her purse.

Last edited by BD1; Jun 11 2022 at 06:59 PM.
Old Jun 11 2022, 07:07 PM   #1061
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

I had spent almost 12 hours at the hospital from last night to this morning! I got there between 7-8 pm Eastern time (USA), got back home about 6:30 am. Right before I left the emergency department, I phoned the bossy girl to let her know I was on my way home! Next Saturday, after my CT scan appt, I might go to Unit 21 of the hospital to see if my favorite nurse is working!
Old Jun 11 2022, 07:14 PM   #1062
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

I suppose you used a hospital phone to call since you have often mentioned you don't have a phone. It's nice to have relationships with hospital staff where you consider someone a "favorite."
Old Jun 11 2022, 07:29 PM   #1063
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Quote:
I suppose you used a hospital phone to call since you have often mentioned you don't have a phone. It's nice to have relationships with hospital staff where you consider someone a "favorite."
I used a phone near the registration desk! The favorite nurse is the one I played the April fools day joke on! She was writing the date on the dry erase board. I told her "April 39th"! She replied "Huh??" I then told her " April fool ! " We both laughed about it. I had planned it from the night before!
Old Jun 11 2022, 07:35 PM   #1064
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

A little while ago, I tried to go get a bath/shower, but the bossy girl said I took one yesterday so I don't need one today. I don't recall taking a bath/shower. How could I get one since I didn't use my towel to dry off with. And I did not air dry! Didn't get my wash rag wet!
Old Jun 11 2022, 07:46 PM   #1065
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

I take a shower every morning. Bath & Body Works Shower Gel. Love the different fragrances.I have some very nice hand lotion I use before I go to bed made by a company called The Pampered Woman, here in Connecticut. Currently using one with a lavender fragrance. They are all natural ingredients.
Old Jun 11 2022, 07:58 PM   #1066
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

It's been several days since my bath/shower!
Old Jun 11 2022, 08:24 PM   #1067
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

I didn't get much sleep last night! Was awake while waiting for my name to be announced, then waiting for supplies! Only asleep 😴 for maybe an hour! Earlier in the day, my supposed friend said that the night before, I had messed with my bag, thus causing the system to leak. I was leaving the system alone! I'm still having to do stuff I shouldn't be doing because of my bag and an open area on my body!
Old Jun 12 2022, 06:16 AM   #1068
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Sunday is cleaning out and refilling the hummingbird feeders with fresh sugar/water. They are so beautiful. Tiny jewels that go "Zip, Zip!"
Old Jun 12 2022, 08:33 AM   #1069
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Slept well last night! My system is still intact! No leaks! So much for " You messed with it, so it leaked! " Still cleaning up after the puppies! I'm sure "mom" doesn't know I'm doing that, not the bossy girl. I wish I could stay seated. I keep having to clean up pee/poop from the puppies! Seems I'm not allowed to stay still by the bossy girl! I'm getting worn out from doing what bossy girl is supposed to be doing! With all the activity I'm doing, it's a wonder my skin barrier is not leaking!

Last edited by BD1; Jun 12 2022 at 06:00 PM.
Old Jun 12 2022, 07:06 PM   #1070
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Went for our walk twice today. About a mile on a quiet dead end street that ends overlooking a lake. There's a total of 10 houses along it, each nicely set back. A pond half way has about a dozen turtles and several loudly croaking frogs. Walking keeps us active.
Old Jun 12 2022, 08:56 PM   #1071
Mausey

Quote:
Sunday is cleaning out and refilling the hummingbird feeders with fresh sugar/water. They are so beautiful. Tiny jewels that go "Zip, Zip!"
Everybody around here has taken all their feeders down as there is avian flu in the area and officials are asking people to stop doing anything that may cause birds to gather.

Several years ago we had a huge wind storm and the park just down the road lost most of the big trees the crows nested in. So for a few years there was lovely silence in the morning. This year we had Eurasian Banded Doves move in and they're almost as noisy as the crows. We traded loud harsh caw caw for equally loud coo coo. I hear them and wake up just enough to identify the noise and go right back to sleep, hubby however can't and is tired and cranky. He really needs one good night
Old Jun 13 2022, 06:18 AM   #1072
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Mausey, I recommend ear plugs. I use a soft, squishy brand called "Hearos" and they block enough of Jeff's snoring that I can sleep. Also good for blocking thunderstorms and firework "kabooms!"

I wonder if hummingbirds can carry that avian flu? I really hope not, they are too beautiful to have anything happen to them.
Old Jun 14 2022, 08:42 PM   #1073
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Pronouns: SheShe
Fan of: PShPern BB, Tia., and Oth
Now Reading: MHOP, Books Jerry Apps, Too Many to Post
Klah Re: What is Happening, part II

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawra View Post
I know who youre talking about she was on Pernese Friends. Can't remember her name.
I only know her real name is Amy. Svia the lgift exchange theire , I have .

I am back! I have a new V nek T-sshirt , weather wise, its don't sound
too good to be online for long, reg. 3 level all the way to were EAA
is, heald Oshkosh WI that iseast of dad and nort west of me, I am glad
to make it home, and dad is home too. Stay safe everyone, and cool/warem depending on were your are on this world of ours! I am feeling this storm comming so I am not planning on staying online for
long, I have read most of the updates for the last week, and BD1 Sounds like you are being that bossy girl s scapegoat or something like that,, 'OH no its not my fault its got to be someone elase one, putting the blame on someone elase not taking respondabilituy for thir action , drat , Making everything thast goes good signs on her, and bad falls on you, etc. Note I give you full marks, you are going
to have to stand up for your rights, I dislike this when the words I want are on the tip of of my fingers and can't come out. Also you
can't get away from her, sound like a group home or not quite the what I was looking for but it fits I thinks, a place to stay you are not
on the street, you get some help, more later, I am fizzing out here.
by the way, I feel for you, I knew know someone that has something
likeyour bossy girl, a few years older then I, anuss he disibility and kinda raised that way in my personal view to use as a chruch , on top of her blineness, ps I may have said something about a different
one who is more inderpended then her, is a AMC fan, this one isn't a fan, but her act has drived a bit of wedge in our friendship, but I have put in her place a few times, I might just try and see if I can write that one as a story for iit has a AMC link in it. Any one want to
hear a'to get a new book at the time one? X-Nas a few years nback.
I need to get back into writting, and itskinda funny how its works out, Also a memory of a place that is not here anymore . Please let
me know. Note no names are going to be used just what happen, I have a few related ones that might fits in around 500 words And Books and more do acoundt for most of them and one thing my traviliKlah which was the only thing she liked from Pern. LOL at that
memory.the aprin that she made me and the placemats too./
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14 2022, 09:24 PM   #1074
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Still being tormented! Bossy girl says I'm supposed to "help" with the puppies, I'm doing 90-100 percent of the care of them. She feeds them, sometimes takes them outside. Everytime one pees/poops, I have to clean the mess up!
Old Jun 15 2022, 06:51 AM   #1075
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

All you said is quite possibly true, Ginnystar. I hope you were safe from storms, both you and your dad.
Old Jun 15 2022, 10:14 AM   #1076
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Still doing what bossy girl should be doing. Feels like I'm her servant/slave! She's just sitting on her a**!! It'd be real interesting if a puppy peed while my nurse was here and lazy boss told me a puppy peed and I got up to get the mop! She'd tell my mom what I did. The girl would get in trouble!

Last edited by BD1; Jun 15 2022 at 10:32 AM.
Old Jun 15 2022, 12:50 PM   #1077
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

The other day, my CT tube snagged on part of a couch. I felt some pain. The stitches keeping the line in place pulled out and I bled some. Now the area is infected. When my nurse gets here, gonna show her the area.
Old Jun 15 2022, 01:06 PM   #1078
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

The sun is shining. There's a bit of a breeze. Chipmunks racing around in the yard. Perfect day!
Old Jun 15 2022, 01:41 PM   #1079
R'zil

Pronouns: He/him
Fan of: Pern and Talent Series

Quote:
The sun is shining. There's a bit of a breeze. Chipmunks racing around in the yard. Perfect day!
Enjoy it Priscilla. The sun is shining here in southern Illinois too except it's supposed to hit 98 degrees with heat index of 105. I can still enjoy the view out the window from the coolness of my study though.
R'zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15 2022, 01:50 PM   #1080
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

It's about 75 degrees here in southern Connecticut. We will get more heat and humidity later in the summer so I'll enjoy this now! That is very hot where you are. I don't like it when it gets above 90. Love our air conditioning!