A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café

The Library Café Come in, relax, and get to know the other members of this site. Share your hobbies and interests, along with general news of your life.

Old May 9 2022, 03:07 PM   #1
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Pronouns: She/her
Fan of: the Pern books
Default Doctor Who

Is anyone else a fan? The next Doctor is Ncuti Gatwa!
Old May 9 2022, 03:12 PM   #2
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Fan of: No One Noticed The Cat
Default Re: Doctor Who

Sorry. Never seen any of it.
Old May 9 2022, 06:28 PM   #3
Allen

Fan of: The Pern Series
Now Reading: Robin Hobb's Shaman's Crossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
Is anyone else a fan? The next Doctor is Ncuti Gatwa!
Tom Baker was great in the role. If the special effects of the day had been better, life would have been perfect. Peter Davidson would have been a good replacement for Tom, but as I recall he was getting involved with "All Creatures Great and Small" which I watched on my 10-foot C-band satellite dish, just like I did "Doctor Who".

We have a 2006 Scion xB that I refer to as our TARDIS because it seems to be bigger inside than outside, like the Doctor's wonderful machine.
Old May 10 2022, 07:51 PM   #4
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Pronouns: SheShe
Fan of: PShPern BB, Tia., and Oth
Now Reading: MHOP, Books Jerry Apps, Too Many to Post

Every once in a while I run into a Fan fiction at SAo3.com , but I haven't seen the show, but then I have a bad tim ability, its part of my leaproblems , in math and time. Thats why some of Anne'sbooks, or Todds's versions have me scraching my head, in what has just happen, if its just a short jump or one to and from, say Lessa 's Ride in Dragonflight then I am OK, I get the idea that they over shot the time. But a lot of too many pov then you have lost me. I hope this helps . I understand that Dr. Who was played by many folks, by now but haven;'t and the phone booth is the time michi more I well have to wait for information.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2022, 08:32 PM   #5
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

The Tardis got stuck in the shape of a police box in the very first episode, "An Unearthly Child". That episode ran on November 23, 1963. The day after JFK got assassinated.
Old May 10 2022, 08:37 PM   #6
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen View Post
Tom Baker was great in the role. If the special effects of the day had been better, life would have been perfect. Peter Davidson would have been a good replacement for Tom, but as I recall he was getting involved with "All Creatures Great and Small" which I watched on my 10-foot C-band satellite dish, just like I did.
Peter Davison DID play the Doctor after Tom Baker! The actors that played the Doctor in the classic series are/were William Hartnell, Patrick Troughton, Jon Pertwee, Tom Baker, Peter Davison, Colin Baker, and Sylvester McCoy.
Old May 11 2022, 12:10 PM   #7
Allen

Fan of: The Pern Series
Now Reading: Robin Hobb's Shaman's Crossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
Peter Davison DID play the Doctor after Tom Baker! The actors that played the Doctor in the classic series are/were William Hartnell, Patrick Troughton, Jon Pertwee, Tom Baker, Peter Davison, Colin Baker, and Sylvester McCoy.
I know Peter Davison played the Doctor. I remember the episode where Tom "died" and regenerated into Peter. But I didn't know he was on for 3 years. I must have lost access to PBS around then on my big dish system.

I just looked him up on Wikipedia and got dates of his various roles in plays, movies, TV, and so on. Interesting fellow. At the time he was the Doctor, he was the youngest actor to ever play the role, and held that title for almost 30 years until the eleventh Doctor, Matt Smith in 2009. Since you don't list that many actors, you must be missing a few more besides Matt.
Old May 11 2022, 12:16 PM   #8
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Brown Re: Doctor Who

Allen? I was talking about the original series! After the episode called "Survival", there were no more shows until Christopher Eccelston, not counting the tv movie Doctor Who. I remember the first Doctor Who episode I ever saw. It was the last part of the story called "Seeds of Doom". I met four of the actors who played the Doctor! Jon Pertwee, Peter Davison, Colin Baker, and Sylvester McCoy. At MOC 2, had a chance to meet Patrick Troughton, but I never did. He died before I could.
Old May 11 2022, 04:04 PM   #9
Bristol

Pronouns: He/him
Fan of: Dragonflight
Now Reading: Dragon's Code

I've been a huge Dr. Who fan since December 1982 when I started with part 3 of The Hand of Fear (Eldrad must live!!!!). I can't remember when I watched Peter Davison for the first time, but in November 83 PBS aired The Five Doctor more or less at the same time as BBC and that was my first exposure to the first three. Then we moved and I got to watch all of the third doctor and gradually the Colin Baker, Sylvester McCoy, William Hartnell, and Patrick Traughton. Due to BBC retention policies, a lot of the early stories got junked (the recycled the very expensive master video tapes, but they failed to keep the film copies they used for overseas sales. Most of what exists before season 9 has been recovered or restored in some way. I've seen/listened to everything. I've kept up on everything new ever since. Dimensions in Time in 1993, The TV movie in 1996, the new series starting in 2005. Quite a ride. Even the behind the scenes movie of the start in 2013, An Adventure in Space and Time with David Bradley playing William Hartnell which segued into him playing the First Doctor opposed Peter Capaldi in Capaldi's last episode. Each actor has been brilliant. Each season was fantastic to watch when it was new. Some have not aged so well and some are better now than ever. The recent recoveries and animated restorations have expanded the first two Doctors greatly. The third doctor is finally all in color as it was originally. I even followed the major spinoffs with Sarah Jane and The Class.

One of the fun things about the series is how it has grown. There were some growing pains in the classic series. Except the first episode, which aired again the next week, they never reran an episode until after the series went on permanent hiatus in after Survival in 1989. So there are a couple of different stories about Atlantis that don't quite align and some other things. But the new series has taken up a few of those and put them in new light. Looking forward to the 14th Doctor to debut January 1, Ncuti Gatwa. For those not following, Gatwa is the 15th Doctor, because they inserted John Hurt between 8 and 9 for the 50 anniversary story.
Bristol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2022, 05:46 PM   #10
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

John Hurt played the War Doctor during the Time War. Tom Baker was the actor who played the Doctor the longest! When it was announced that Jodie Whitaker would be the Doctor after Peter Capaldi, I didn't like that!
Old May 11 2022, 06:07 PM   #11
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

In my senior year in high school, they voted for different things concerning different students. One of the voting subjects was "student most likely to be the Doctor's companion". I voted for myself. Someone who I felt was NOT a Doctor Who fan (never seen the person at any Terminus Tardis meetings!) got the most votes!
Old May 11 2022, 06:12 PM   #12
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Terminus Tardis was the Doctor Who fan club in the Atlanta area. I went to just about ALL the meetings held every month on the Emory University campus. I was a member in the club. I knew Alex Lucychin ( the president of the club), Teri Lucychin, Bill Ritch, Chris Cook and others! One skit I remember was their version of Monty Python's Dead Parrot scetch. It was the dead Peri scetch! Alex (as the sixth Doctor) was trying to return a dead Peri! Another scetch they did was, they were at a restaurant and the group said "table for one!" They were part of a group called the Mighty Rassilon Art Players, MRAP for short.

Last edited by BD1; May 11 2022 at 06:29 PM.
BD1 is nu online   Reply With Quote