A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café

The Library Café Come in, relax, and get to know the other members of this site. Share your hobbies and interests, along with general news of your life.

Old Feb 6 2022, 01:37 AM   #641
R'zil

Pronouns: He/him
Fan of: Pern and Talent Series
Default Re: What is Happening, part II

Hopefully your on the mend then. Hope all your family starts feeling better too.
R'zil is nu online   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6 2022, 02:27 PM   #642
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

Everyone else is mostly over it. Kibby is doing some coughing, but not as much. She normally coughs a lot in cold weather, & it's cold here.

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6 2022, 04:31 PM   #643
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Fan of: No One Noticed The Cat

I hope you are also feeling better, mawra. Good to hear the rest are doing well, including Kibby.
Old Feb 7 2022, 12:27 AM   #644
R'zil

Just saw this <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGZq0I8MzKA> (copy and paste the web address if this doesn't become a hyperlink) on youtube. It's the story of why Roger Moore stopped the production of the Dragon Riders of Pern TV project. After seeing it I'm glad he did. The youtube video is new, just done in just the last few days.
Old Feb 7 2022, 08:21 AM   #645
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

I guess I am a terrible pessimist but I have never expected any of Anne's books to be made into movies or tv series. Studios tend to do "remakes" - often far worse than the original but I guess they figure people will go see stuff because they recognise a title and maybe a few actors. No thanks! I'm thinking "Willy Wonka" as just one example.
Old Feb 7 2022, 07:06 PM   #646
R'zil

I'm not sure I really want it either. I mean, after reading the series for almost fifty years I have my own vision of Pern stuck in my head. Unless it was amazing anybody else's would probably be a let down.
Old Feb 8 2022, 01:35 AM   #647
Natalya

Fan of: The White Dragon

Personally, I don't expect the movie adaptation to be anything like the books. This is unrealistic in today's Hollywood industry, which is focused primarily on making money, and dramatic art is secondary in it.

The only thing I still wish for a film adaptation - is to attract the attention of a new generation, so that more people know about the existence of the world of Pern in general and through movie, perhaps, come to the original books.

For example, I also learned about The Witcher. I've known about this series for a long time, about books and games (that were actually in the genre that I like). But for some reason I could not get together and read before the release of the tv-series. It was atmospheric, spectacular and intriguing, and I became interested in how it was in the books and what happened next.
Natalya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8 2022, 09:34 AM   #648
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

I feel like I am waiting for BD1 to return. I hope she and Ginny are alright.
Old Feb 9 2022, 07:22 PM   #649
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Pronouns: She/her
Fan of: the Pern books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla View Post
I feel like I am waiting for BD1 to return. I hope she and Ginny are alright.
Thanks for all who wished me well! It was a partial small intestine blockage. Spent a week in the hospital, but I'm back! The Wi-Fi connection at the hospital was not secure. After the blockage cleared, had bloating problems. :waves at Priscilla:
Old Feb 9 2022, 07:41 PM   #650
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Good to see you. I think a lot of us were holding our breath that you were ok. It's been very quiet. Now, it would be good to have ginnystar return as well.
Old Feb 10 2022, 09:11 AM   #651
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

I agree! I'm remembering not to PM you, Priscilla!
Old Feb 10 2022, 10:50 AM   #652
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Thanks. I actually decided the PM function was unnecessary so I turned it off.

I hope you are feeling better and continue to improve.
Old Feb 10 2022, 11:28 AM   #653
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Thanks, Priscilla!
Old Feb 10 2022, 04:57 PM   #654
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Yesterday I donated a bag of books to the local thrift store. They are a charity and money they make supports a local organization that provides classes for/jobs, etc. people with many kinds of handicaps. So, a good cause. Sometimes I find a "treasure" to buy there, too. You never know what will be there. They have a small amount of furniture, racks of clothing, a couple cases with jewelry, shelves of dishes and glassware. Always an adventure!

Then I went down a few stores to the candy/chocolate shop to get my husband a half pound of his favorite chocolate covered marzipan for Valentine's day. We generally exchange cards and a bit of chocolate. He might get me Godiva or Lindt.
Old Feb 10 2022, 06:48 PM   #655
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

I adulted today. I left the house, first time in 3 weeks. Needed cat meds. 2 kittens have upper respotory infections. Paid bill, went to Walmart. Now I'm exhausted.

Old Feb 10 2022, 11:50 PM   #656
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Is there a reason our avatars have to be so small?

Old Feb 11 2022, 01:20 AM   #657
Bristol

Fan of: Dragonflight
Now Reading: Dragon's Code

Adulting? It seems like that is all I do. Lots of stress the last two months with my eldest and his school. He's behind because of COVID and they are acting as if COVID didn't happen. Because of that he's been out and pretty isolated. So guess what... he gets COVID and then gives it to me. Don't even know how he got it. So I'm trapped at home this week. Seems like I'm almost over it and can go back to work next week. But what fun. I so need a break from Adulting.
Bristol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11 2022, 02:30 PM   #658
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Oh adulting. Not always a lot of fun. However, I would not be a kid again, either today or going back in time to my childhood. I'm glad to be my current age and hope to add quite a few more years.

Mawra, I have no idea about avatar sizes. I changed mine to one of the generic ones from the site years ago. Is it important to have it bigger?

I am so sorry, Bristol. So many people still seem to think this is no worse than the flu. People die from the flu, as well. I get a flu shot every year because I'd just as soon not get it and if I do I'd rather not die. Same with this virus. We may someday get to the other side of this. I hope so.
Old Feb 11 2022, 05:54 PM   #659
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Avatars can only be 100 ×100 pixels. It is hard to find ones that small.
Yesterday was my first day out since getting Covid. About 3 weeks. I have a cough that wants to linger. It's not bad in warm weather, I breathe in cold and I cough for the next hour. I caught it from my sister. Kibby got it a week later. Hubby, same time I got it. We're all mostly recovered.

Old Feb 12 2022, 06:29 AM   #660
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

I do remember that about avatars. I know some people like to change every couple of days or for holidays and other events. I remember I had a "custom made" one years ago and I think Hans had to shrink it for me to make it fit. I have no idea how that is done. You can change your profile picture other places as often as you like. Can you be content with the same one here all the time? I have no suggestions for this one as I am not technical.
Old Feb 12 2022, 07:17 AM   #661
Natalya

Mawra, the vBulletin forum software was developed in the 2000s and by 2020s is already obsolete. However, the modern design of the vBulletin forums looks like a "greeting" from the 2010s.

And the small size of the avatar is due to the fact that the standard display resolution used to be much smaller and the page loading speed was lower (slow Internet or traffic). When you have a screen resolution of 1024x768 pixels, 100 pixels of an avatar is almost 10% of the screen and it's not a small image anymore

Image for example - i2.paste.pics/G09U7.png

Last edited by Natalya; Feb 14 2022 at 12:28 AM.
Old Feb 12 2022, 01:54 PM   #662
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

It's mild enough today (around 58F) that Jeff has pulled out the hose and is washing the car's. Tomorrow morning we might have one or two inches of snow. Crazy weather!
Old Feb 12 2022, 06:24 PM   #663
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Sorry, haven't been in since yesterday. WiFi was scetchy. Using a friend's phone. Gonna have her try to fix wifi for my tablet.
Old Feb 12 2022, 06:59 PM   #664
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

I hope you get that sorted out.

Has anyone heard of "Galentine's Day?" This is the first I've heard of it and seems pretty far fetched/silly. Apparently an excuse to get together with your "gal pals" to eat and drink. Like you can't do that anyway?! I began to wonder if there is a "Guyentine's Day" for the GUYS. Equal opportunity, you know.
Old Feb 12 2022, 07:04 PM   #665
Zelandeth

Fan of: Dragonsdawn
Now Reading: Working my way through the whole Pern series

Well that was fun...we were lucky enough to be graced with a concert by Drums & Roses a couple of hours ago. They were absolutely awesome.

My ears are still ringing, and that was with earplugs in to tone the volume down a bit! They are loud. Very loud.

They're a group I'd had on the "I bet they would be fun to see" list for a while but hadn't expected them to pop up at an event I was already at.

We were meant to have a mini car show this afternoon, but heavy horizontal rain sadly put a damper on that. Shame as I was hoping to get a closer look at the Citroen CX I spied in the car park yesterday.
Zelandeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12 2022, 07:12 PM   #666
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Looks like something I would love to have been at. When we used to go to Dragoncon there was a band called Emerald Rose that I would try to get to all their concerts over the weekend. I have several of their CD's. Lots of rousing and fun songs and excellent voices and instrumentals.
Old Feb 12 2022, 09:21 PM   #667
Mausey

I'm not amused with our weather. It's far too warm and almost all the snow is gone. Unless we have a very wet spring it's severe drought conditions which means even more cattle sold and prices going even higher. Most ranchers have been importing feed for a month or more already and with the idiots at the border blocking all traffic (except live animals and emergency vehicles) some of them are getting desperate. Why they think their "Freedom" is more important than everybody else's is hypocrisy at it's finest.
Old Feb 13 2022, 06:15 AM   #668
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Idiots indeed! Right with you on that! I hope you do not have a drought.
Old Feb 13 2022, 02:58 PM   #669
Mausey

Today's life lesson girls and boys is NEVER have your very tech savy hubby show you how to set-up the laptop. I use the laptop maybe once a year and only after he's set it up and played his games. Well, I'm off on a couple day help out my sister-in-law trip and asked about taking said lap top. To be clear, I am NOT in any way a techie, I just click on the nice little picture and my game opens.

Hubby says no problem and gets it out to show me and the first huge sigh comes when I don't know where the power button is. It's the unmarked slightly raised black button on the black machine, duh. Next comes the password, "why don't you know it, it's the same as it's always been". Second huge sigh, he tells me and I write it down, now I type it in with him watching like I'm defusing a bomb and of course, I get it wrong. Do I get to redo it? of course not, he gently shoulders me over and types it in. Next comes the thrilling task of finding the correct spot to click to sign into the wifi. Again I write it down but now I'm adding graphics just to make sure. More sighs but I get it right and sign in. Next, as I only want the thing so I can play my game I make sure it's loaded and get any updates, check, and then log off. More sighs as I struggle to see with the sign off the wifi thing. More graphics and then to turn it off. *shakes head*

I'm the type that has to do something multiple times to be comfortable with it. At the library I could whip through the job like nobody's business because I know how to do it. I've mentioned this several times but techie people just don't get us untechie people. I'm almost positive my adding graphics had nothing to do with the sighs.

Last edited by Mausey; Feb 14 2022 at 01:03 AM.
Mausey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13 2022, 08:11 PM   #670
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

I am also not technical. When we got our very first computer every time it did something I did not understand I was sure I "broke" it.

I'm looking forward to this thread moving on to the next page so that all the comments go back to a "normal" width. As with Mausey's comment I'm not entirely sure why that happened although it seems to be related to one post. I'm sure the next page will sort it out. Unless It's only me that sees it!
Old Feb 14 2022, 01:08 AM   #671
Mausey

Quote:
I am also not technical. When we got our very first computer every time it did something I did not understand I was sure I "broke" it.
Oh do I know that feeling. Once I hit a button and closed the window and had no idea what happened. I was in a complete panic thinking I had broken it.

But then one time I really did break it. Hubby had told me over and over again that when I got a message asking if I wanted to do something to just click yes. So one day the message came up and I clicked yes, I completely erased the C drive. And he wonders why I'm not more comfortable clicking things.
Old Feb 14 2022, 01:59 AM   #672
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Quote:
Looks like something I would love to have been at. When we used to go to Dragoncon there was a band called Emerald Rose that I would try to get to all their concerts over the weekend. I have several of their CD's. Lots of rousing and fun songs and excellent voices and instrumentals.
I can live with a small avatar. I just don't want to. I like changing mine up.
I LOVE Emerald Rose.

Old Feb 14 2022, 03:42 AM   #673
Natalya

Quote:
As with Mausey's comment I'm not entirely sure why that happened although it seems to be related to one post. I'm sure the next page will sort it out. Unless It's only me that sees it!
I'm sorry =\ If this was related to the image in my post - I removed it. Hope all right now.
Old Feb 14 2022, 06:18 AM   #674
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Thanks. That seems to have done the trick. I hope I did not sound too "whining/complaining". My comment went along more with what Mausey and I were saying about breaking computers.
Old Feb 15 2022, 01:53 PM   #675
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

When I'm on the front porch of my house, the Wi-Fi is okay.
Old Feb 15 2022, 03:13 PM   #676
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

That sounds like a potentially cold place to have to stand or sit. Is there any idea why what seems like a sudden change has occurred? Also, are you the only resident with a problem or does it affect anyone else?
Old Feb 15 2022, 11:00 PM   #677
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

I've got 2 kitten with snotty noses, that won't clear up. 2 rounds of antibiotics, still sneezing, & stuffed noses. Can't really afford to take them back to vet.

Old Feb 16 2022, 05:03 AM   #678
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Brown Re: What is Happening, part II

Quote:
That sounds like a potentially cold place to have to stand or sit. Is there any idea why what seems like a sudden change has occurred? Also, are you the only resident with a problem or does it affect anyone else?
I don't know.
Old Feb 16 2022, 07:35 PM   #679
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Mawra, I believe Emerald Rose finally split up as a group. Perhaps they are still doing solo things. I loved their music. They were so talented and at the same time so easy to approach for an autograph or a few minutes chat.

BD1, it would seem useful to find out if other people are having WiFi problems since a group is more likely to find a solution than one person. Just a thought.
Old Feb 20 2022, 01:49 PM   #680
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Quote:
Mawra, I believe Emerald Rose finally split up as a group. Perhaps they are still doing solo things. I loved their music. They were so talented and at the same time so easy to approach for an autograph or a few minutes chat.

BD1, it would seem useful to find out if other people are having WiFi problems since a group is more likely to find a solution than one person. Just a thought.
They did. I saw them at Dragoncon. I need to replace their CD.
My little gray kitten seems to be doing better. She's not sneezing as much, is more active & seems to be breathing better.