A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café

The Library Café Come in, relax, and get to know the other members of this site. Share your hobbies and interests, along with general news of your life.

Old Jan 26 2022, 07:18 AM   #561
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Fan of: No One Noticed The Cat
Default Re: What is Happening, part II

Mawra, I suppose if one of you gets a test and it is positive you might assume the other two as well. I will hope it is negative as there are other illnesses around, not just the virus. Crossing fingers for you.

BD1, when I got each shot I made sure to get them in my left arm as I sleep either on my back or right side. I hope your arm is better by the end of today. It will certainly improve.
Old Jan 26 2022, 10:11 AM   #562
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

Oh goody, sister's Covid came back positive. I'm not going to bother getting tested. I assume I have the cuddies

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26 2022, 11:14 AM   #563
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Take very good care, I hope all of you have mild cases. Crossing fingers and holding thumbs.
Old Jan 26 2022, 12:14 PM   #564
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

My sister got her test results, she has Covid. I'm not going to bother testing. I'm just going to figure Huuby & I have it. We've all been vaccinated so I don't think it will be that bad.

Old Jan 26 2022, 03:57 PM   #565
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Pronouns: She/her
Fan of: the Pern books
Brown Re: What is Happening, part II

When I next need ostomy supplies, gonna let my mom know and she'll call the company.
Old Jan 26 2022, 04:16 PM   #566
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Priscilla, I'm left handed so I took the shot in my right arm.
Old Jan 26 2022, 04:21 PM   #567
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

I am also left handed. I figured sleeping on my right side was more important since I don't do any repetitive or strenuous things with either arm during the day. We each had to decide which worked for us, I guess.
Old Jan 26 2022, 06:25 PM   #568
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

In dragcave.net, I just now grabbed a leetle tree! Got it before anyone else!
Old Jan 26 2022, 06:29 PM   #569
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

A little while ago, I heard the weather forecast for this weekend. Very cold. Possible snow for parts of the Atlantic seaboard.
Old Jan 26 2022, 06:49 PM   #570
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Mawra, you mentioned Kibby and her work. They certainly can't expect or want her to come in and potentially bring the virus. I hope they continue to be understanding.

We are expecting snow here in CT on Saturday. We have shovels, a snowblower and a guy who plows most if not all the driveway. The last storm Jeff did the driveway with the snowblower. He may leave it to be plowed. We have a fairly good sized deck off the back of the house that we usually slide the snow off of. It does get to be a chore that at 69 and 72 we should maybe consider is too much. Our daughter has bought Jeff a small, electric snowblower for his birthday in March. He does not know about it and the rest of us are now deciding if he will get it "early" before this weekend. Might only get 5 inches of snow, might be 8 to 10.
Old Jan 26 2022, 07:55 PM   #571
R'zil

Pronouns: He/him
Fan of: Pern and Talent Series

What do you all do for hobbies? I just retired at the end of last year. It's not even been a month but I'm already getting bored. I also miss the structure that work gave my life. I read a lot (of course), watch movies and I'm spending a lot of time on line but I need to find something to focus on, something that I like and think is fun. Any suggestions?
R'zil is nu online   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26 2022, 08:03 PM   #572
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

I do cross stitch and needlepoint. I started out with cross stitch and I've done pictures and Christmas ornaments as well as greeting cards. You can buy kits from catalogs. Herrschners has some nice ones. Oh. Forgot. I also did full sized (stamped on pattern) tablecloths and napkins for both our kids. Then about 3 years ago I branched into needlepoint. At first I bought kits, then I got a light table and with a photograph and either blank fabric or blank fabric in a zip up coin or cosmetic bag, I can create my own things to sew. I only have a tablet now so no way of showing here some of the things I've done. I also read.
Old Jan 26 2022, 09:51 PM   #573
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla View Post
Mawra, you mentioned Kibby and her work. They certainly can't expect or want her to come in and potentially bring the virus. I hope they continue to be understanding.

We are expecting snow here in CT on Saturday. We have shovels, a snowblower and a guy who plows most if not all the driveway. The last storm Jeff did the driveway with the snowblower. He may leave it to be plowed. We have a fairly good sized deck off the back of the house that we usually slide the snow off of. It does get to be a chore that at 69 and 72 we should maybe consider is too much. Our daughter has bought Jeff a small, electric snowblower for his birthday in March. He does not know about it and the rest of us are now deciding if he will get it "early" before this weekend. Might only get 5 inches of snow, might be 8 to 10.
Kibby called work, they said normally if someone been vaccinated then you work with mask. Kibby does a lot of coughing which will make it harder to know if she has Covid, they told her to stay home. This will be the 3rd week she hasn't worked. Luckily her landlord, us, is understanding. Her not working is killing the budget.

Old Jan 27 2022, 06:24 AM   #574
vyon

Fan of: Harper Hall

BD1 Mine hurt for about two days after all three of the shots (Pfizer) - also the right arm because I have a massive scar on my left arm. And it's a nuisance not being able to reach up because your arm hurts if you do. But my flu shot hurt for longer. And it's all better than getting the Covid and getting in hospital with it. The Covid modellers are all freaking us out - they think we'll go from the current 90 Omicron cases, most of them already in isolation, to 8,000 by Waitangi Day in two weeks time. Even with Omicron version two allegedly even more contagious than Version one, I think the modellers aren't taking into account that we don't have the background cases here.
vyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27 2022, 06:39 AM   #575
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

This morning, my arm doesn't hurt as much. Yesterday, I took some Tylenol.
Old Jan 27 2022, 11:35 AM   #576
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyon View Post
BD1 Mine hurt for about two days after all three of the shots (Pfizer) - also the right arm because I have a massive scar on my left arm. And it's a nuisance not being able to reach up because your arm hurts if you do. But my flu shot hurt for longer. And it's all better than getting the Covid and getting in hospital with it. The Covid modellers are all freaking us out - they think we'll go from the current 90 Omicron cases, most of them already in isolation, to 8,000 by Waitangi Day in two weeks time. Even with Omicron version two allegedly even more contagious than Version one, I think the modellers aren't taking into account that we don't have the background cases here.
I'm impressed that you only have 80 cases. Liberty University has 73 cases alone

Old Jan 27 2022, 12:47 PM   #577
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

A couple people I know seem to be playing something called Wordle. I play solitaire on my tablet and phone and that eats up enough time without starting something else!
Old Jan 27 2022, 03:22 PM   #578
R'zil

Quote:
I do cross stitch and needlepoint. I started out with cross stitch and I've done pictures and Christmas ornaments as well as greeting cards. You can buy kits from catalogs. Herrschners has some nice ones. Oh. Forgot. I also did full sized (stamped on pattern) tablecloths and napkins for both our kids. Then about 3 years ago I branched into needlepoint. At first I bought kits, then I got a light table and with a photograph and either blank fabric or blank fabric in a zip up coin or cosmetic bag, I can create my own things to sew. I only have a tablet now so no way of showing here some of the things I've done. I also read.
Priscilla, thanks but the last time I picked up a needle it was because my grandmother talked me into trying to make a crazy quilt while she did her quilting. I managed a piece about 6 by 10 inches before giving up.
she later finished it as a doll blanket. That was about 55 years ago. As to your more recent post I also have a few card games I play on my computer.
Old Jan 27 2022, 03:26 PM   #579
R'zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawra View Post
I'm impressed that you only have 80 cases. Liberty University has 73 cases alone
I'm also impressed. My relatively small and fairly low population county in southeastern Illinois is averaging about 35 to 40 new cases a day. Luckily they are mostly the omicron variation and that seems to have milder symptoms.
Old Jan 27 2022, 03:37 PM   #580
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Hmmmm. Have you done any woodworking? Does that interest you? You could make trivets and coasters to begin with and maybe advance to footstools and other slightly bigger things. I have a cousin, Jere Osgood, who is a furniture designer and taught for years at Boston University. He's the closest I come to a "famous" relative as he has several pieces permanently at The Smithsonian. The rest of my family is pretty average but at least there's no ax murderers (That I KNOW of!)
Old Jan 27 2022, 04:24 PM   #581
R'zil

Quote:
Hmmmm. Have you done any woodworking? Does that interest you? You could make trivets and coasters to begin with and maybe advance to footstools and other slightly bigger things. I have a cousin, Jere Osgood, who is a furniture designer and taught for years at Boston University. He's the closest I come to a "famous" relative as he has several pieces permanently at The Smithsonian. The rest of my family is pretty average but at least there's no ax murderers (That I KNOW of!)
Priscilla, my problem is that I'm just not very artistic. I've done some photography in the past but I don't really have an "eye" for it. I was an avid aquarist for 35 or 40 years and at that time I had access to some of the rarest specimens in the hobby, I kept many of them and bred many of them over the years. I don't want to do that anymore and where I am in my life now I no longer have access to that. I thought about starting some gardening this spring, it would give me a reason to get outside and get some exercise but I'll definitely be a newbie at it. We'll see.
Old Jan 27 2022, 05:41 PM   #582
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

I used to do needlepoint on a plastic canvas. I also used to volunteer at my local library. I would shelve books. Sometime later this year, might go back to that. Don't know yet.
Old Jan 27 2022, 06:33 PM   #583
Allen

Fan of: The Pern Series
Now Reading: Robin Hobb's Shaman's Crossing

I think I've posted about all my different crafts, but I still don't do any sewing, needlepoint, quilting, etc. Hahahaha.
Old Jan 27 2022, 07:10 PM   #584
R'zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen View Post
I think I've posted about all my different crafts, but I still don't do any sewing, needlepoint, quilting, etc. Hahahaha.
I've seen some of your stuff Allen, but I don't have your artistic talent.
Old Jan 27 2022, 08:25 PM   #585
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Allen, your jewelry making and other crafts are truly art. What I do in cross stitch and needlepoint may turn out nicely after many years of experience but I do not think of it as "art." I follow a pattern or in the case of needlepoint I create a pattern with a photograph. A lot of men sew, knit and crochet and make beautiful things. I have a friend in South Africa who has an artist friend who makes beautiful pictures by intricately knotting thread. Not sure how he does it but they are wonderful! He does portraits of people, outdoor scenes and animals!
Old Jan 27 2022, 08:46 PM   #586
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

I can't wait until I get my illeostomy reversed. It's a bit of a hassle.
Old Jan 27 2022, 10:34 PM   #587
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

I want to read, but I can't concentrate. I've read the same page 3 time & have no idea what I've read. My throat hurts, can't sleep, because of coughing. If people who haven't had the vaccine get it much worse, I'm very glad I got it.

Old Jan 27 2022, 10:59 PM   #588
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

I can't even whine about feeling crappy, because sister & Hubby feel the same way, & Kibby is hiding in her room. She's try to stay away from all the crabby people. She still has no symptoms

Old Jan 28 2022, 05:56 AM   #589
BD1
Dragonrider
Weyrling

Poor family! Hope y'all feel better soon!
Old Jan 28 2022, 06:48 AM   #590
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Your poor family, mawra! I hope you all feel better soon. Being vaccinated certainly helps.

We are due to get 12 to 20 inches of snow tomorrow. I know. That is a large "amount range." Hedging their bets, these forecasters!
Old Jan 28 2022, 06:50 AM   #591
vyon

Fan of: Harper Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawra View Post
We have a few advantages - like having a Prime Minister who took Covid seriously from the beginning, assembled a team of experts and set up a comprehensive testing routine, being an island nation with no land borders so we are able to isolate everyone coming into the country, and having a universal Government funded public health system, even if it is rather run down. Today's figures 105 new community Covid cases, making a total of 15,615 cases here since the pandemic began and 52 deaths. That's in a population of five million, and the daily "community" cases don't count cases coming into the country who all have to go into managed isolation for ten days. At the moment we are still in our long summer holiday for universities. I think the US has a much higher proportion of the students living on campus which would make the spread of anything infectious easier. But we did have a huge music festival which might have become a "superspreader event." We also have a very high vaccination rate, despite what appears to be a massively overseas-inspired and funded disinformation campaign.

In the middle of all that I've had five hospital appointments in the last month, a 24 hour heart monitor, various heart scans and a visit to the specialist - Only to be told "You're fit and well and don't need to see me again." It might have been more use to know that I've probably had an irregular heartbeat all my life when I was at school and totally useless at sport! I always knew that I danced to the beat of a different drummer, I just didn't know that it was that literal.
vyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28 2022, 12:53 PM   #592
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Just because life didn't suck enough, my sister's work closed down. So now she has no job. She's putting apps in, but can't do much until she's over Covid.

Old Jan 28 2022, 01:02 PM   #593
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

That is miserable! I hope whatever sort of work she does that there are open places in your area! Best of luck.
Old Jan 28 2022, 03:45 PM   #594
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

She's an EMT, but her age could be a problem, she's 61. She hopping to get on at a 911 call center.

Old Jan 28 2022, 06:25 PM   #595
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

I most likely do not know all areas EMT's work in. I always thought they worked for an ambulance service, possibly affiliated with a specific town. I've never heard of an ambulance service going out of business but I suppose it could. Is there any way her experience could translate into a hospital job? 61 is not that old (says a 69er who quit working at about 61!)
Old Jan 28 2022, 07:08 PM   #596
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

They take people, who can't use wheelchair, to Dr. Appointments, dialysis ect...
With Covid a lot of Dr are cutting back on patients, operating are being canceled, so they were down to mostly a couple of dialysis & it wasn't enough to do equipment & ambulance up keep & pay employees.

Old Jan 29 2022, 07:10 AM   #597
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

So a service rather than an ambulance connected to a firehouse? I can understand that. A lot of doctors have been doing video appointments. I hope she finds something.
Old Jan 29 2022, 10:40 AM   #598
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Kibby is getting tested for Covid tomorrow. She doing a lot more coughing than normal. I hope it's not Covid. She can't take perception cough meds.

Old Jan 29 2022, 10:58 AM   #599
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Crossing fingers for Kibby. I really hope she does not have it. I am guessing that at home rapid test kits are not very readily available? We have a hard time finding them around here. Then, I have friends in England that get handed boxes full from the school they work at whenever they want them. I don't understand why we have such a shortage when testing can be really important.
Old Jan 29 2022, 07:30 PM   #600
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

They are only 80% accurate. The one my sister used said she did not have. Her boss at the time told her to get a regular test. That came back she did have.