A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > The Library Café

The Library Café Come in, relax, and get to know the other members of this site. Share your hobbies and interests, along with general news of your life.

Old Aug 8 2021, 10:43 AM   #1
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default My Pern website will go offline on November 21, 2021

My website will go offline
on November 21, 2021.

I've maintained my website www.pern.nl for over 20 years now and 10 years after Anne left us I will take if offline. Without Anne, who had become a real friend over time, the joy has gone out of maintaining it. A new generation (with some of the old fans) is active on the more modern social media now. It'll be their task to keep the torch burning. The last event I attended was the World Science Fiction Convention Dublin 2019 where a good friend led an Anne McCaffrey appreciation track. That, and me finally visiting Anne's grave and paying my respects, together with my wife and some very, very dear friends, was a fitting end of an era for me. Thank you Gigi for being there too and reminiscing with us then and during a memorable dinner afterwards. A big thank you to all my fellow Anne McCaffrey fans, too. I'll keep in touch! This system is going down...

" 'To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under heaven,' Master Robinton."
"That is poetic, Aivas."
There was one of those pauses that Robinton always thought was the Aivas equivalent of a smile.
'From the greatest book ever written by Mankind, Master Robinton. You may find the entire quotation in the files. The time has been accomplished. This system is going down. Farewell, Masterharper of Pern. Amen."
Robinton sat straight up in his chair, fingers on the pressure plates, though he hadn't a single positive idea of how he could avert what Aivas was about to do. He half turned to the Hall, to call for help, but no one who had the knowledge-Jaxom, Piemur, Jancis, Fandarel, D'ram, or Lytol-was near enough at hand.
The screen that had paraded so much knowledge and issued so many commands and diagrams and plans was suddenly blank, lifeless. In .the right-hand corner, a single line blinked.
" 'And a time to every purpose under heaven,' " Robinton murmured, his throat almost too tight for him to speak. He felt incredibly tired, overwhelmingly sleepy. "Yes, how very true. How splendidly true. And what a wonderful time it has been!"
Unable to resist the lethargy that spread from his extremities, he laid his head down on the inactive pressure plate, one hand holding Zair in the curve of his neck, and closed his eyes, his long season over, his purpose, too, accomplished.

AIVAS and Masterharper Robinton - All the Weyrs of Pern.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8 2021, 01:31 PM   #2
R'zil

Pronouns: He/him
Fan of: Pern and Talent Series
Default Re: My Pern website will go offline on November 21, 2021

Hans, thanks so much for all you've done over the years. It is appreciated.
R'zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8 2021, 03:41 PM   #3
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Fan of: No One Noticed The Cat

Thank you, Hans!

It has been a roller coaster ride at times but I made some wonderful life long friends, many of whom I am still in touch with. There are those that are gone (Pat, Sharon) and those I have lost contact (Linda Eicher) but in all it has been a good experience. Great stories and good friends, nothing better!
Priscilla is nu online   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8 2021, 04:26 PM   #4
CuriousFlit

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern

Thank you for keeping it up for so long, and for letting us know about this. But what's going to happen to all the information stored in there?
CuriousFlit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8 2021, 05:40 PM   #5
Dragon Fan

Fan of: The Smallest Dragonboy

Sadly. An end of an era. Your site was one of the first i found when I bought my first computer and started searching for anything PERN. All good things come to an End. Thanks for the years of information.
Old Aug 8 2021, 08:05 PM   #6
Rider of Panth

Pronouns: She/her
Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: Dragonsdawn

Thank you Hans for your passion and your words. Your website : much appreciated.
Rider of Panth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9 2021, 02:36 PM   #7
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

Any change of you archiving it? Or allowing it to be archived, say by me?

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10 2021, 05:29 AM   #8
Hans
Master Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by P'ter View Post
Any change of you archiving it? Or allowing it to be archived, say by me?

It will be available in the Wayback Machine, Peter.
I've decided to not have the site being maintained by anybody else because I don't know the persons who offered. That would be different with you but I will stand by my decision. The domain and hosting will go but I will have a few dedicated Anne McCaffrey pages on my personal website www.hansvanderboom.nl

Of course I will keep all teh data, like I still have most of the Kitchen Table forum board and it's only the website that will be gone. You are still stuck with me! :-)

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Aug 10 2021, 05:32 AM   #9
Hans
Master Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla View Post
Thank you, Hans!

It has been a roller coaster ride at times but I made some wonderful life long friends, many of whom I am still in touch with. There are those that are gone (Pat, Sharon) and those I have lost contact (Linda Eicher) but in all it has been a good experience. Great stories and good friends, nothing better!

Oh, definitely so, Priscilla. The same goes for me. I still have very good contact with a handful of peeps from old KT times though and I know more than a few are still following me on facebook :-) and occasionally react.
As I said to Peter, I discontinue te website but will be still there and active in FB AMC and Pern fandom and will check out here now and then.

Old Aug 10 2021, 06:21 AM   #10
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Do you still hear from Linda? We lost touch and I have been concerned as we were friends. She did a lovely portrait of me that I have here at home and another of our daughter and her boyfriend. Such beautiful artwork!
Old Aug 10 2021, 07:06 AM   #11
granath
Talent
Tower Prime

Fan of: Afra Lyon
Now Reading: PiF

Sad to hear you're taking the site down, but thanks for all the memories! I hope you'll visit MoM a bit more often.
granath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10 2021, 12:26 PM   #12
Bristol

Fan of: Dragonflight
Now Reading: Dragon's Code

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
It will be available in the Wayback Machine, Peter.
I've decided to not have the site being maintained by anybody else because I don't know the persons who offered. That would be different with you but I will stand by my decision. The domain and hosting will go but I will have a few dedicated Anne McCaffrey pages on my personal website www.hansvanderboom.nl

Of course I will keep all teh data, like I still have most of the Kitchen Table forum board and it's only the website that will be gone. You are still stuck with me! :-)
We are quite glad to be stuck with you. Sad to see the site go, but nothing lasts forever.
Bristol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12 2021, 05:38 AM   #13
mara

Fan of: the pern serie's
Now Reading: rereading the crystal singer

Thank you Hans. I have learned so much from the bloodlines you posted there. See you eround on this site
mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16 2021, 03:38 AM   #14
Hans
Master Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla View Post
Do you still hear from Linda? We lost touch and I have been concerned as we were friends. She did a lovely portrait of me that I have here at home and another of our daughter and her boyfriend. Such beautiful artwork!
No, she just, more or less, dropped out of the scene and I didn't hear of her since. She has reacted to a few facebook posts (she's still in my friends list) but very sporadic. Last she said is that old age and health issues will keep them 'grounded' but if she wanted she could be more active online. I've send her messages when I celebrated my 40th weddign anniversary in 2019 in Denmark and Copenhagen and revisited several sites we'd visited in 2007 with her and other AMC fans but she didn't even answered those. Real pity.

Last edited by Hans; Nov 21 2021 at 11:51 AM.
Old Aug 16 2021, 08:37 AM   #15
Priscilla
Super Stitcher
Craftmaster

Thank you, Hans. I am glad to know that she is still somewhat around. It is sad when dear friends disappear with no explanation but there is nothing the rest of us can do but wish them well.
Old Aug 16 2021, 04:46 PM   #16
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Pronouns: SheShe
Fan of: PShPern BB, Tia., and Oth
Now Reading: MHOP, Books Jerry Apps, Too Many to Post

@Hans and the rest, with help from my staff I send you a link, tht might help still enjoy all the hard work that you have put into this site, I know I am a late comer to here, but I used it before my sight was god, to help a differnt show that I am still a fan of call Airwolf, , i just got back here only a bit ago, a, I recall watching something about PBS about it hold and archiveing clips about a different subject,along with websites. I shall try and share a example of tthat when I get time, for I am still working, on getting my files put back in action before I can use them, for without them I have to stumblem with my program of names of books, links, writers, and more. Zen Hugs
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
http://dragcave.net/user/GinnyStar2
Thanks! Others: None at this time
WIP http://archiveofourown.org/works/252259
http://www.daisy.org/learning-difficulties
GinnyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16 2021, 05:03 PM   #17
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Ah I ggot a tad more down the link, still having problems, but do you can send me the link @Hans for your site? I see that its ttthere, I also know a fews folks, that have used the Internet datebase, I don't have the links set up all the way yets, but I was following a chat with one of the fans while he was seeing about being back the music from that show,, I may talked aabout that I don't recall now for its is hazy part of my mind, but I was works on a diffew spotts at the time, and once I understand how to work thing b3eetter I plan on update stuff better.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Aug 21 2021, 08:08 PM   #18
Zelandeth

Fan of: Dragonsdawn
Now Reading: Working my way through the whole Pern series

Sad end of an era but I can understand the reasoning behind it.

If you did want an archived version or any parts of it I'm absolutely happy to offer space on my server if you wanted to use it. That's an offer that will always remain open.
Zelandeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23 2021, 04:17 PM   #19
GinnyStar
Dolphineer
Craftmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelandeth View Post
Sad end of an era but I can understand the reasoning behind it.

If you did want an archived version or any parts of it I'm absolutely happy to offer space on my server if you wanted to use it. That's an offer that will always remain open.
I ThThank you for ocfferning to help, too, I just wish I had a easier time trasnlated what on my mind into english, even if my first tonge, with my learning disibility getting in my eway. Sometimes I get ahead of my self, even if a person can't host it, I would think a link to its via the in the Wayback machine would be good, note, this is aloso a reminder, for mmys self to check my links with a different website, that I I am a member of, for I was working on some of those links when I lost everyi ng thing, 'sigh' sorry, my mind is trying to stay on subject, but its driffiting, a bit, I have a few things running in my mind, and not the wit to work on them,,

I hope we can still use Pern.nl to fin your site Hans for as I think its my own shorthand for Pern y.ml you're from there the.nl and related to Pern. and what you are. I have tytold folks about the site, to find this sisite, when I didn't have internet, and when I still have it.
Dragoncave GinnyStar2
Jellied Dragons
Lair of Dragons
Old Feb 6 2022, 10:26 AM   #20
Natalya

Fan of: The White Dragon

Hello Hans.
I am very sorry that your site is no longer working. It was an excellent and authoritative source of information on Pern, since you coordinated many things with Ann when she was still alive. In particular, I regret the disappearance of bloodlines, chronologies and music lyrics.
I wanted to ask your permission to post copies of these materials on the Pern Wiki. Your contributions can be protected from editing, but at least that way they will be preserved for history and future generations of fans.
Natalya is offline   Reply With Quote