A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room

Book Collector's Meeting Room Whether you're an experienced collector or just starting out, this is the place to discuss Anne's books in all their various bindings, languages, and cover art.

Old Jan 30 2009, 05:30 AM   #1
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default Latest buys

Not so long ago I was able to post about two French Pern books I had acquired, "La dame de la haute tour" and "Les ciels de Pern". "Ciels" (Skies of Pern) is the third book published by Rendez-vous Ailleurs in trade paperback format.
One can understand that the publishing of French Pern books is taken over by another publisher but I am still wondering why they wanted to switch to trade paperback size and also why the new publisher re-published one book earlier published: L'oeil du dragon (Red Star Rising/Dragonseye), then skipped a title (Renegades), published a new title: Le Maitre-harpiste (The Masterharper of Pern), followed by the publication of Les ciels de Pern, which was also published by Presses Pocket in a mass market paperback version! (forcing me to buy two edition of the same title... oh boy ).
French publisher ways are dark and not easy to understand

Well, in 2007, Rendez-vous Aillers, under their imprint Fleuve Noir, published their latest Pern title: La lignée du dragon (Dragon's Kin), being the second non-English publication of this title, the first collaboration of Anne and her son Todd (the Germans were first).
With prices of French Pern trade paperbacks sky rocketing (like some of the German mass market paperbacks) my acquisition of them was put on hold and I justed watched and watched... Untill two weeks ago (after buying the earlier two mentioned French titles) I got a chance at the latest "Lignée" as a new book (!) for a nice 11 euro. Still $14.50 but as I have stated many times, English language speakers with their huge book market are lucky people as far as book prices go

So... I recently received it and of course need to show it here:

Another buy on eBay was a first for me. My first book for 1 cent! Yeah, right, postage to me was $14,45 for a USPS Priority Mail International Flat Rate Envelope, but that can't be helped Still was the first time I bought something on eBay for 1 dollarcent or 0,00759647524 eurocent

The title in question is "If Wishes Were Horses". I already have them in the beautiful ROC editions and I do have several versions of the other two McCaffrey fantasy titles by Wild Side Press but I had somehow neglected to buy this neat little hardcover and I was glad I had done so

Well that's it for now but I'll have something to post later as some stuff still needs to be delivered.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31 2009, 12:25 AM   #2
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !
Default Re: Latest buys

This is a beautiful cover...*La lignée du dragon *. I am glad to see that you were finally able to find one...to bad that these have to cost you so much.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31 2009, 12:57 AM   #3
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

More bookshelves need to be built perhaps, Hans *ducks and runs*.

Still nice covers as Lady Maelin pointed out.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31 2009, 06:19 AM   #4
Dernok
Inactive

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Cool Re: Latest buys

Nice cover, on the french one. Although the dragon loks a bit like a locust to me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Another buy on eBay was a first for me. My first book for 1 cent! Yeah, right, postage to me was $14,45 for a USPS Priority Mail International Flat Rate Envelope, but that can't be helped
I got my first Renegades of Pern this way. Ex-Library without dust jacket.

Looks like you got a better deal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Still was the first time I bought something on eBay for 1 dollarcent or 0,00759647524 eurocent
Again, it looks like you get better deals than the rest of us. Where can i buy 1 dollarcent for 0,0075.. eurocent?
Dernok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31 2009, 07:24 PM   #5
L'isa

Fan of: Dragonflight
Now Reading: Xenocide

Very nice, Hans. Beautiful books. I have had to put my book buying on hold because of the economy over here. When eventually things return to normal I will start buying again. I have watched a few things go by that I would have loved to have. Oh well.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
L'isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1 2009, 04:32 AM   #6
Hans
Master Archivist

Lisa, maybe you best would keep buying something, it would help speed up thing to get rid of the crisis... The actual best noticeable exponents of the crisis are because of the fact people stop spending money... so, I don't or try not to.

Must admit that until today my daily life has not been influenced by the financial crisis. But then I don't work in a field that will be affected by it but do realise others are, thus I'll try not to alter my spending behaviour, to help all others and the economy.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Feb 1 2009, 09:15 AM   #7
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

The problem is having the money to keep spending.

I like the dragon on the cover, but do not really like the boy. It is kinda strange.

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1 2009, 11:20 AM   #8
Hans
Master Archivist

Of course Mawra, that goes without question, but despite the crisis my income doesn't change and the same goes for all people who are not running an affected business or do not lose their job due to it. So for us who keep our jobs and our income (and believe me, that is the vast majority) it is essential we keep spending in a normal way! NOT on credit, which was the reason for this crisis in the first place, especially in America. A lot of Americans will need to learn to be financially solavable and not livig on credit and borrowed money too much.