A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Anne McCaffrey Collection > Dragonriders of Pern

Old Mar 24 2010, 10:18 PM   #1
Wicked Wonder
Darbul

Fan of: The whole Pern series!
Now Reading: All the Weyrs of Pern, again!
Default Odd reading order

Most of the time, I reread my Pern books in two ridgid orders- chronologically or publication date. This time, I started with RoP because I never remember details from that book, other than the obvious, and sometimes I even will skip it because usually Aramina annoys the fool out of me. I actually enjoyed it this time and I'm thinking I'm going to ATWoP because it leads so nicely into it. (Also, my sig always is right when I come on the boards!) So after this lengthy intro, I would like to know if anyone else skips around or do you pretty much stick to the one true way?
Wicked Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24 2010, 11:09 PM   #2
Samsara
Inactive

Fan of: PERN!!!
Now Reading: Restoree
Default Re: Odd reading order

I always read in chronological order. I like the flow of the correct time line because I like to see the evolution of Pern and it's people.

Oh, and I never skip any of the novels, but sometimes I skip some of the short stories (Runner of Pern & Ever the Twain). But only sometimes...

Last edited by Samsara; Mar 24 2010 at 11:10 PM. Reason: adding more text
Samsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24 2010, 11:11 PM   #3
Ryuu
Evil Gold Fiend Dragon

With all the Anne-sistancies (& even if one assumes the Todd-isms are attempts to fix some of those) in the series--it might very well be better to read them as standalone stories. They certainly are not bad as standalones.

Reguardless of reading the series in chrono- or publication-order, depending on how well one remembers what they just read, the errors can start to be glaring
Ryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24 2010, 11:57 PM   #4
Wicked Wonder
Darbul

Fan of: The whole Pern series!
Now Reading: All the Weyrs of Pern, again!

That's the thing- I will remember some things almost word for word and other things sift right through. The inconsistancies don't really bother me, but different characters ping my gag meter. This time, I will probably skip DoP because although I was pleasantly surprised by RoP, I'd be pushing my luck to get away with liking DoP.
Wicked Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25 2010, 01:23 AM   #5
mawra
Dolphin Friend

Craftmaster

Fan of: PERN
Now Reading: Dolphins of Pern and Queens ow

I read what ever book I find first when I am in the mood for Pern. One of my fav. is Dolphins of Pern.

SO MANY BOOKS SO LITTLE TIME

DRIVING SMART KEEPS YOU ALIVE
mawra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25 2010, 05:14 AM   #6
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Pronouns: She/her
Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Relentless Moon by MRKowal

I guess if I knew I was going to read the whole series again, I'd pick one of three options:

1. Publication order
2. Chrono order
3. Publication order by Pass (eg, all 9th Pass books, in pub order, then change Pass)

But I'm much more likely to randomly pick a book and read several from there, rather than tackle the whole series.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25 2010, 10:28 AM   #7
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

Like Cheryl, I pick at random or according to my personal fav list of books within the series (the lowest on the list just don't get reread much).

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25 2010, 02:26 PM   #8
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

Fan of: The Ship Who Searched
Now Reading: The Calhoun Collection, Nora Roberts

I don't think I'd try reading the entire series straight through just because there are other things I want to read too. But I tend to group them by pass, or just pick a book I feel like reading. Might or might not continue in chronological order from there.

Akhenaton? (c. B.C. 1375)
Egyptian King and Monotheist

Greenrider Tresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25 2010, 05:08 PM   #9
proserpine

Pronouns: They/them
Fan of: Moreta

I tend to pick them up randomly, and since I've read most of them so many times, I also just tend to read the parts I liked the best out of them rather than the whole thing. For example, most of TWD is boring. I skip to the parts where exciting stuff happens, like the kidnapping of the queen egg or the confrontation with Toric. In DQ I really like the part where F'nor tries to go to the Red Star. That's exciting. I like to read that, then skip right over to DSinger and read the same event from Menolly's perspective. I just read Iantine's sections in DE/RSR. I avoid MHoP completely. I love Moreta, so I read the entire thing. It just depends. One of these days I want to read the whole series, Todd's books included, in chronological order, but since the first time I read the series (starting with DSinger, the middle of a trilogy I was kind of confused to say the least, but didn't care enough to stop and find DSong) I've never read the books in any kind of order.
Old Mar 25 2010, 09:45 PM   #10
kevia
Ballybran Resident

Tuner

Fan of: Nimisha's Ship
Now Reading: Crystal Line

When I read them, I do tend to do so in chronological order, but I do, also, sometimes skip some stories or books.
Old Mar 27 2010, 04:05 PM   #11
Golden Talisath
Dragonrider storyteller
Junior Weyrwoman

Fan of: F'lar and Lessa, DF
Now Reading: My university books

Well, seeing as this is the first time I have a chance to read the whole series, I wanted to read only some of the books (manly 9 Pass) but decided to read them all, in chronological order. Later, I’ll probably stick to the ones that I like the most, or read only parts of the books.

From the Weyr and from the Bowl
Bronze and Brown and Blue and Green,
Rise the dragonmen of Pern,
Aloft, on wing, seen, then unseen.
Dragonman avoid excess
Greed will bring the Weyr distress;
To the ancient Laws adhere,
Prospers thus the Dragon-weyr.
Golden Talisath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28 2010, 08:54 PM   #12
Between
Slither

Fan of: Pegasus, Pern, & CS
Now Reading: Harper Hall, Eon, The sharing knife:book 4

I tried an interesting experiment introducing my husband to the series...he isn't much of a reader but does like science fiction...so I started reading the series to him anytime we had a lengthy car ride...the method I used was pure chronology (and by that I mean switching books between scenes to stay chronological ) starting from renegades, through flight, quest/song/singer, white/drums. Its a very different but kinda fun experiance this way. I'm currently introducing him to the pegasus books then we will see what I read him next

You will notice a minor oops reading the series this way though Zair is born twice as he is on Robinton's shoulder at a meeting in one book which he is born AFTER in the other...its subtle but we laughed like crazy when we realized what a little trickster Zair was.

Edited to explain that we were reading multiple books at the EXACT SAME TIME

Last edited by Between; Mar 28 2010 at 09:22 PM.
Between is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28 2010, 09:15 PM   #13
r2005
Crafter
Student

Fan of: Dragonriders of Pern
Now Reading: 1632 Series by Eric Flint

I forget what order I read them in when I first started them. I know I started with DF, DQ, and TWD. There was a period of time when all of our Pern books were split between my house and my grandmother's house since some of them are her books, but now they are all together at my house. I remember at one point, we couldn't find the copy of Renegades, so my mother bought a paperback copy, of course not too soon after that we found the hardcover copy. Murphy's Law is a family friend.

When I'm rereading, I'll often just pick up a book. Although, if a new book comes out, then I'll reread all the books pertaining to that time period before the new books comes out so the story is fresh in my mind. I did that several times with Harry Potter, and the Deryni novels. So probably sometime in the near future, I'll reread some of Todd's books before the new one comes out later this summer.
Old Mar 31 2010, 10:32 AM   #14
Joz
Inactive

Fan of: The Crystal Singer

I prefer to read them in published order, as it reminds me of my own voyage of discovery growing up with the books as they were published. But sometimes I just grab the one that appeals to me at the time, which might then lead on to the next one...