Thread: Meatloaf
View Single Post
Old Jan 22 2022, 12:06 AM   #2
Allen

Fan of: The Pern Series
Now Reading: Robin Hobb's Shaman's Crossing
Default Re: Meatloaf

I was stationed in Grand Forks, North Dakota on Grand Forks A.F.B. when Bat out of Hell came out. I had a 1974 Harley Sportster that was mildly customized; it had a 4" overstock front end and straight pipes. I custom-painted it with metalflake paint in a color named "Flame" and a friend recovered the seat in a medium brown that went with the paint a lot better than the original black. Custom handlebars and highway pegs so I could stretch out my 6' 2" height, and I was all set. Most of all, that bad boy would RUN.

It's about 15 miles from Grand Forks to G.F.A.F.B. and these were the years of the 55 M.P.H. National speed limit. I lived on the outskirts of town. I'd get up on workdays, shower, dress, and put on some music to listen to while I got breakfast ready and packed my lunch. Go out the door, load up, and start a nice, leisurely ride to work. Cruising along the 4-lane highway at 55, enjoying the morning as best I could because after all, I was headed to work. Then somebody would go flying by, cut it a bit close to me with their lane switch, and It. Was. ON! I'd grab a handful of throttle, give it a twist as I'd downshift from fourth to third (at 55 miles an hour), dump the clutch, and with Meatloaf screaming in my head, Like a Bat out of Hell I'd be gone when the morning comes...

Typically, by the time I shifted back into fourth I'd be doing 80 to 90 MPH and still gaining speed. Ye gods, that man could sing!

Sometimes I realize that it's a minor miracle I'm still alive. But flying out that straight, flat highway, easily weaving through the light traffic at 95 or 100 miles an hour, with the wind in my face, motor singing, drag pipes roaring, I knew without a doubt that I was exactly that: Gloriously Alive!

So I raise my cup to Michael Aday. Somewhere, Heaven or Hell, a choir has gained a great voice.