View Single Post
Old Feb 21 2019, 07:33 PM   #4803
Zelandeth

Fan of: Dragonsdawn
Now Reading: Working my way through the whole Pern series
Default Re: What is happening

The filters are less than £1 each, so it's really no hassle to change them each service. As identified here it makes a nice sight glass to see if there's any air getting drawn in too, and they do seem to collect a fair amount of gunk over time. The jets in this carb are tiny, so it wouldn't take much to upset it.

The new tank is all aluminium, so shouldn't have any corrosion concerns, good call though. If I'm storing a car for long periods it's always with a brimmed tank and fuel stabiliser in to keep condensation to a minimum though. This tank is only just over four gallons anyway, so will be getting flushed through pretty regularly I reckon anyway (guessing I should probably be expecting a range somewhere round 150 miles). At least I have a working fuel gauge now...even *knowing* the tank was full and driving in circles less than a mile from home, that being dead last week was stressing me out...the brain is a strange thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen View Post
With a new tank, lines, & all, you shouldn't need a new filter for a few years, unless your fuel is incredibly dirty.

Better question, did the tank makers use any sealer on the inside? I know you really don't want to hear it, but now would be the best time to drain, remove, and seal that nice tank. While you might not get water in the fuel, there's that nasty thing called condensation. Condensate changes to small droplets, to big drops that fall and pool in the bottom of the tank. next step, rust in the bottom of your brand new tank. Check with motorcycle shops.

Sorry I didn't remember sooner.... a lot sooner. Blame in on age.

Saw a T-shirt I want really bad. It says "My body is a temple. Ancient and crumbling. And probably cursed or haunted."
Zelandeth is nu online