View Single Post
Old Jun 12 2018, 12:48 PM   #4607
Allen

Fan of: The Pern Series
Now Reading: Robin Hobb's Shaman's Crossing
Default Re: What is happening

Zelandeth, I know what you mean about working with old cars. I restored antique cars for about 15 years, so I know from first-hand experience that things are not always what one thinks they should be.

I once did a lot of the restoration on a 1936 Cadillac. When it came time for wiring, as part of the engine bay work, I put all the wiring on the flathead V-8. Now understand that I thought that V-8 firing order, with the exception of Ford, was all the same. All General Motors brands and all Chrysler brands number their cylinders the same; one bank 1-3-5-7, the other 2-4-6-8. Ford did it different; 1-2-3-4 and 5-6-7-8. Firing order on non-Ford V-8s was all the same; 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2.

Well, I found out that is indeed true..... of overhead valve V-8s. Flatheads were quite a different story. That Caddy wouldn't run for diddly-squat. When I finally got my hands on a book (pre-internet days …. how did we ever survive?) I was able to correct things and by the time it was done, that big monster 4-door sedan would ghost along at 45 or 50 miles per hour (and up) so quietly and deceptively smooth you hardly knew the engine was running. I had to watch myself closely because more than twice I found myself doing that 40 or 45 MPH in a 25 or 30 MPH zone. Beautiful antique car or not, cops frown on such things and get rather upset about it. Especially when the license plate reads "PETRONE" and there's a realist-looking Tommy gun with a drum magazine in it laying on the back seat. The owner was a doctor. He also had a Ferrari. The license plate on it read "BASTA". Anyone need translations?