A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum

A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum (http://forums.srellim.org/index.php)
-   The Library Café (http://forums.srellim.org/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   What is happening (http://forums.srellim.org/showthread.php?t=8098)

mawra Dec 8 2013 08:54 PM

Re: What is happening

That is why we only put the Christmas village up on place the cat do not NORMALLY go.
Our village is a bit strange. We try to include something that represents each person who lives here. Along with the normal stuff, we have, of course, dogs, cats, goats, and rabbits. We also have dragons, fairies, trekie stuff, space aliens, Jeff Gorden nascar stuff, Harley motor cycles, ect... it is interesting.

I have a ceramic duck that I got from Mom. He did not come out right. It is covered with bumps all over, we call him diseased duck, it is also in the village.

and wolves, I almost forgot them

Moonlady Dec 8 2013 09:03 PM

Thank you for your thoughts and prayers. Right now they are having trouble finding a pain medication that will work for my mom. She is allergic to a lot of medications.

Good luck saving your Christmas Villages from your cats. :D

Priscilla Dec 8 2013 09:09 PM

Well, I didn't expect the old cats to pay any attention to this. The "kittens" were already banned from the room. Ours are the traditional ceramic buildings with lightbulbs inside. There is a santa's workshop that has a tiny three car train that goes round in a circle. My favorite is a candy store with an old fashioned style sign "Jennifer's Cookies & Candies". Naturally it is Jenn's favorite too!

I like your idea of something for everyone. Our tree is like that. Mike has a Harley ornament and a New York Giants. The kids have their ornaments they made in nursery school and Jeff has a couple Star Trek ones. I have a wooden pig my brother made on a jigsaw machine and then painted it. I also have ornaments we've gotten as gifts over the years.

mawra Dec 9 2013 09:54 AM

Kibby has gotten at least one new ornament every year, that represents what she has been interested in or has done that year.

I have told she is not allowed to take them with her if she ever moves out.

Priscilla Dec 9 2013 10:43 AM

I've started reading Stardust by Neil Gaiman. I'm only on page 11 but I like it so far.

Zelandeth Dec 9 2013 07:27 PM

Today I mostly started unboxing things, having moved house yesterday. The majority of the boxes are now where their contents will live, and my workstation is now set up for the most part. Just a few ancillary components of the AV system there and cable tidying and will call that done.

Then to unpack the other 38774639 boxes...and decide where on earth the rest of the vintage tech will live!

Pretty happy so far though, everything so far seems to have survived (even all the lighting kit which is a surprise) and it's always good for your confidence as a home mechanic when you do a 500 mile motorway trip in a car you maintain yourself that turns 25 this year without it missing a beat. The old Saab was made for mile-munching on trips like that.

Hans Dec 10 2013 02:40 AM

Good luck with unpacking and finding a place for it all, Zelandeth! And congrats on your good work on the car, that's a good result indeed.

Have you moved south? Or back up?

Priscilla Dec 10 2013 08:44 AM

A tiny bit of snow. All the schools are closed.

Priscilla Dec 10 2013 01:06 PM

I went out and made a snowman. We have 3 neighbors in this little cul de sac with seven kids total. Not one of them is outside making a snowman or playing in the snow. When my kids were little I couldn't keep them inside. Sad!

Lily Dec 10 2013 03:10 PM

Yes, it is sad. I've never had the experience of playing in snow (aren't you sorry for me? ) but it's obviously, great fun. And might the neighbouring children come to play with you, if you were having such a good timemaking a snow man, perhaps?

We are having very warm weather early in the summer, but our shops are still filled with traditional winter Christmas decoration. And I like to send out Christmas at summer time greeting cards.

mawra Dec 10 2013 04:16 PM

The problem with playing in the snow is that it is cold and wet. I liked it much better when I was small, living in San Diego, we would go to the mountains, play in the snow them go home where it was nice and warm

Making sand men in the nice warm sand sound like more fun. Especially if it is warm enough to swim afterwards.

GinnyStar Dec 10 2013 05:01 PM

Well Dad is in Seabring, FL, we are with help looking for plane tickets to/from WI to FL.

Priscilla Dec 12 2013 03:21 PM

Maw, yes, snow is cold and wet. We're used to it. I really like the different seasons and would not want to live someplace where it was warm/hot all year round. Nice to visit but then I want to go home!

I hope you are able to get a flight, ginny!

Moonlady, how are they coming with finding a medicine for your mother's pain?

Last night was the winter choir concert at Mike's new job. The kids (7th and 8th grade) sounded good and it was wonderful to see some of the things Mike has learned as a student/member of a local band/a cappella group founder being implemented and enjoyed by his students. He got lots of compliments from the parents afterwards in the hallway outside the auditorium. It was a fun night, the beginning of many years of such activities.

I'm pretty much ready for Christmas. Just want to watch a couple holiday DVD's.

Moonlady Dec 12 2013 10:01 PM

They were not able to find a medicine so she is now on medical marijuana. My sister makes her brownies. The first brownie was a little to strong and my mom was quite high. She requested my sister use a little less next time. She has her good and bad days.

I hope you are able to get tickets, Ginny.

Priscilla, my boys would be out there with you. We plan to go to the mountains in Jan or Feb for the weekend so they can spend more than part of a day in the snow.

May everyone have a great weekend!

mawra Dec 13 2013 12:00 AM

My 5 year old niece has pneumonia and bronchitis. She WAS getting better Dr. said she could go to school, but she could not go outside or run. Melissa gave the note, from the Dr., saying Emmi was not to go outside or run. Stupid teach sent Emmi out in the freezing cold with the rest of the class to run a mile. By the time Emmi got home her chest was hurting so bad she was crying. Melissa called the teacher, who told Melissa she did not think it would hurt her.

Melissa talked to the principal today. He said he had never heard of fresh air hurting a child and if Melissa was that worried about Emmi she should have kept her home. Melissa is going to the superintend tomorrow.

Dr. is very mad at the school as well. He told Melissa that the teacher should be brought up on criminal charges of child endangerment. Emmi is back down to where she was when she first got sick. STUPID teacher.

mawra Dec 13 2013 12:10 AM

Kibby only has to drop some papers off for one class tomorrow then she is done for the semester. She does not go back until after the new year.

In photo class she took over the summer she got a B, college prep class was a, C, life time health & fitness A, archery A, socialology B. She is not sure English. Her worst she thinks will be in art app. she could not remember the names of all the churches. She knew the time period, but not the name so she thinks she is getting a D in that. But over all I am proud of her.

Moonlady Dec 13 2013 10:39 PM

mawra, that is terrible what happen to your niece. Sending healing vibes her way.

Priscilla Dec 14 2013 08:48 AM

Our next door neighbor is out "clearing" the 1/16 inch of snow off his driveway, with the leaf blower! Nice to have eccentric but pleasant neighbors. It sure beats our old nasty ones!

mawra Dec 14 2013 06:21 PM

Thanks, Moonlady

Eccentric but nice is MUCH better than nasty ones.

Priscilla Dec 14 2013 06:31 PM

It sounds like Kibby is doing fairly well. I'm sure she won't be "happy" with a D but getting used to being in college is part of the process. I'm afraid I didn't even do as well my first semester, but I managed to graduate.

That is horrible what happened to your niece. They owe her and her parents an apology at the very least and the guarantee that this will never happen again.

mawra Dec 14 2013 07:07 PM

Melissa is going to admin. Monday. The fact that they blew the whole thing off is more madding then them doing in the first place.

I can see how it would be hard to remember the names of a bunch of churches that look alike. Kibby did much better then some thought she would. She adjusted to being in a class room setting with no problems.

Priscilla Dec 14 2013 07:49 PM

The last time I went to get my hair straightened (a couple weeks ago, I get it done twice a year) there was a woman there selling Origami Owl jewelry. I had heard of it but never seen any. I gather it is sort of like selling candles or Avon - you can either become a sales person or host a party. This woman was a sales person. She had some of the jewelry and after looking it over I really liked it so I bought one of the small lockets, a chain, and several of the tiny charms to go in the locket. The lockets are glass front and back so that you can see the charms inside. The charms are tiny! I got a hummingbird, a musical note, a heart with "MOM" on it, a heart with I love cats on it, and a star fish. They all fit easily in the locket which opens on the side and closes tightly with a magnetic clasp. I've been wearing a little gold clamshell for years and I finally decided to store it in a pretty box Aranel made for me and move on to something else. I'm quite happy with this!

mawra Dec 14 2013 09:09 PM

I've see the necklaces you're talking about. They are pretty.

Priscilla Dec 15 2013 10:19 AM

I'm glad it's Sunday and we don't have to go anywhere. The driveway is a sheet of ice. Later we will get out and put down some sand.

mawra Dec 15 2013 11:12 AM

I get to go house hold shopping later.

First I am going to wrap the stuff bought for two boy the Star Trek group is sponsoring.

Moonlady Dec 15 2013 02:07 PM

Sounds beautiful, Priscilla. Please post a photo if able.

Now, everyone living with snow and ice stay safe.

Priscilla Dec 15 2013 02:55 PM

We're safe here. The driveway is cleared and sanded and the sun has come out.

I don't have a photo of my own necklace but I can provide a link so you can see what they are like. They aren't that expensive. The little charms are $5 each and the chain was $18. The biggest expense was the locket at $30. I got one of the medium sized, plain with no sparkly rhinestones on it. Rose gold in color though obviously not REAL gold! I hunted and hunted and this seemed like about the best way to show the jewelry. The charms are tiny, less than the size of my little finger nail, nothing like the size they show on this site, but at least you can get an idea.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_1cw02ty7ra_b

GinnyStar Dec 15 2013 03:06 PM

We are working on it, LOL at myself, we have ticket for three things happening at the Grand Theater Wausau, WI. Healing thoughts your way Mawa. Good job Kibby!

Priscilla Dec 15 2013 09:29 PM

Jeff is laughing at one of the Axmen episodes on tv. As far as I can tell all that stuff is interchangeable, whether it's lumber, moonshine, gold hunting, king crab fishing . . . It all sounds like when I was in college in the 70's. Bleep, bleep, bleep, bleeping bleep. Couldn't understand a thing anyone said, then OR now! LOL!

Moonlady Dec 15 2013 10:35 PM

Glad your safe. Thanks for the link...they look beautiful. Enjoy!

mawra Dec 15 2013 10:44 PM

I just finished the gift wrapping for Trekie club's sponsored kids. Main reason is has taken so long is I had to take a nap, because of migraine headache. It has eased off a bit. Stuff has to be delivered to social services tomorrow. I'm the only one here that likes and will do a decent job of it.

GinnyStar Dec 15 2013 11:59 PM

:hd:

http://www.acb.org/adp/museums.html#WI
Wisconsin New Oct 2013

http://www.lywam.org/Leigh Yawkey Woodson Art Museum, Wausau, Wisconsin. Art Beyond Sight, for individuals with no or low vision, provides a multisensory exploration of the visual arts - offered quarterly during each exhibition. Since 2006, the Museum has included verbal descriptions, tactile artworks, raised-line drawings, sound effects, scents, and/or tastes in these free Art Beyond Sight programs that often feature interaction with artists in residence. Audio tours available, free, on iPod touch devices that offer artist interviews and audio interpretations of selected artworks from each changing exhibition and from the Museum's collection

Priscilla Dec 16 2013 09:10 PM

It was bound to happen. For more than ten years I've been saying someone should make colored tires for cars. I just googled it. Guess who's making them? That's right, China. Guess who's gonna make a ton of money? Not me! Cats are not happy, they wanted mink kitty beds! :lol:

Delia Dec 16 2013 09:57 PM

Christmas concerts are done for the season. Now I can catch up on all the stuff on the DVR, and I can return to church choir rehearsals. Our church organist is a liturgical composer who has written music for a few of my poems. He has several more poems awaiting music, and he says now that I'm back at rehearsals he'd better get composing.

I now also have time to return to the gym. Maybe next year I'll be able to go for physical therapy to learn how to walk on my new prosthesis.

Priscilla Dec 16 2013 10:08 PM

Christmas concerts are done for my daughter's boyfriend as well. He teaches middle school string orchestra and chorus. We went to the chorus concert last Wednesday and it was very good.

Does your church choir perform your poems after the music is composed for them? That's a lovely way to contribute to a service!

I try to use our treadmill every day. For me it is a weight loss tool. I'm afraid at the moment Christmas cookies may be winning. :irk:

Delia Dec 16 2013 10:27 PM

Yes, Priscilla, we do sing "my" songs. There's one that's a particular favorite with our congregation because of its upbeat feeling. The second was a Christmas song which he wrote in 5/4 time. Our director avoids it. The third was for me to sing as a solo.

Allen Dec 16 2013 11:25 PM

In the last 2 days we've lost Peter O'Toole, Joan Fontaine, Tom Laughlin, And Ray Price.

mawra Dec 17 2013 12:58 AM

I not sure how it happened, but I managed to get a lot of Christmas wrapping done WITHOUT any "help" from the cats

Kat Dec 17 2013 12:43 PM

Don't knock it...

Priscilla Dec 17 2013 03:33 PM

The Mega Millions lottery is very high. I will not be feeding "The Beast" by buying any tickets. I hear the chance of winning is over one in 200 million. My money can stay right in my wallet! :crazy: