A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum

A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum (http://forums.srellim.org/index.php)
-   The Library Café (http://forums.srellim.org/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   What is happening (http://forums.srellim.org/showthread.php?t=8098)

Moonlady Feb 11 2013 10:10 PM

Re: What is happening

Glad to read that everyone is safe. May everyone have a safe, peaceful and joyful week.

Hans Feb 12 2013 03:01 PM

Way to go for Kibby, Maw. And photography is great, I can attest to that :)

Glad you're safe, AnnMarie! Phew. Thank your bro for us.

mawra Feb 12 2013 06:56 PM

Kibby had fun today. They did not get a tour of the justice building, there was a trail going on. Instead they toured the Edger Allen Poe museum.

Kat Feb 13 2013 10:27 AM

Only thing of interest in our little neck of the world is in two weeks time (the24th) we get a new family member.Meet Gwenhwyfar;

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a77...ps9d05f2f3.jpg

Hans Feb 13 2013 10:34 AM

You little queen Guinevere is beautiful indeed, Kat :)

Priscilla Feb 13 2013 01:01 PM

Snow swirls caused by the wind:

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...ps5a971c05.jpg

Kitten checking out the snow going out to the deck:

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...psb50f4226.jpg

Mike's car is under there somewhere:

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...psa9c0d4f9.jpg

Lily Feb 13 2013 03:24 PM

I'm amazed and impressed at all your snow stories! And think, how fit all you shovellers must get! And the pics! Wow! But I think I'm glad I've always lived in a very temperate climate that does not get extremes of anything. Boring, eh?

Kat: Your new family member looks very sweet. May you have many years of joy with her.

Lily Feb 13 2013 03:26 PM

I showed hubby these pics. He told me of a story he'd heard about a man who went to a lot of trouble to dig out his car, clicked the button to release the lock - and the flashing lights came from the still buried car in front of his. He'd dug out the wrong car! Couldn't help but be amused, poor fellow

Priscilla Feb 13 2013 03:35 PM

That would be horrible, but I bet it happens. You'd have to have two people with the same make and color of car I would think. That's a city problem I guess, where you have cars parked one behind the other on the street.

I just noticed. Is that a little white dragon poking its head up through the snow in my first picture? Looks like it! :lol:

mawra Feb 13 2013 08:24 PM

I am very happy that we did not get more than a dusting of snow. Kids in the area have only missed one or two days of school. So far I have liked our winter. Kibby has been disappointed. She likes the snow.

Moonlady Feb 13 2013 10:01 PM

Wow Cilla on the snow... glad I'm in a temperate area too.

Adorable member Kat.

Hans Feb 14 2013 10:58 AM

Cilla! I actually also saw that little dragon head! :D

And like the other I'm very impressed with the snowed under car. Funny thing is, it doesn't look like a car, doesn't it? :)

AnnMarie Feb 15 2013 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kat (Post 186224)
Only thing of interest in our little neck of the world is in two weeks time (the24th) we get a new family member.Meet Gwenhwyfar;

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a77...ps9d05f2f3.jpg

She's GORGEOUS! Welsh Corgi?

Priscilla Feb 15 2013 10:00 AM

This is my idea of redecorating. I'm swapping the curtains in the den with those in the living room. Those in the den where the kittens are allowed to play are too long and they have been using them as climbing ropes. I got those curtains in Holland 40 years ago and they are really nice and I don't want them ruined. Of course, the space at the top of the ones in the living room are too small for the poles in the den so I have to pick every stitch out at the top to make them fit. Then it's in the wash on delicate and up they go.

Kat Feb 15 2013 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnMarie (Post 186249)
She's GORGEOUS! Welsh Corgi?

Yes,Pembroke Welsh Corgi,purebred. NOTHING wrong with mutts.But I've wanted one or two forever.Bought a breed book years ago and thought of names and taped them inside. The book was lost in fire or flood,but I know where I got the inspiration from,Gwenhwyfar is part of the name. I haven't decided yet whether I'll use the name I thought up years ago or incorprate part of her parents (which I don't know yet). I don't know what they've been calling her but she'll be Gwen when she's home.

Moonlady Feb 16 2013 01:53 AM

This work week has been difficult however, I survived it. Now I just need to survive the school year.

ds#2 is finally walking after giving himself a lower leg contusion by pretending to be James Bond and jumping onto a moving bike. This was his fourth time doing it and failed this time leading to the contusion. The good news he didn't break it.

mawra Feb 16 2013 09:59 PM

Corgies are great little dogs, I always get the two kinds confused.

At least his leg was not broken, Moonlady, he have even learned something.

Kat Feb 17 2013 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mawra (Post 186256)
Corgies are great little dogs, I always get the two kinds confused.

The most tell tail ;) difference is the Pembroke has no tail,while the Cardigan does. There are other differences the Cardie is more stocky,their heads are less foxy in appearance. But the obvious is tail.

We're on puppy count down... day 6. it's going to be a looooong week.:ugg:

mara Feb 17 2013 10:33 AM

we will count down with you :D, it looks gorgeous

GinnyStar Feb 17 2013 03:06 PM

Very pretty dog, Kat

Good to read that your son didn't break his leg, Moonlady

Priscilla Very pretty pictures, your little cat remind me of Reggie, for he also liked looking out the window.

Priscilla Feb 17 2013 03:24 PM

But, Kat! If it has no tail, how does it wag? Does the whole back end go side to side?! :D Or, is it just that they have a very small stump? Are they born like that and is it something that has been bred for?

Some breeds I think get their ears and/or tails "docked" early in life, which I've always thought was a cruel thing, akin to de-clawing a cat. :irk:

mawra Feb 17 2013 06:27 PM

I believe these dogs are born that way. The ones I have seen when they wagged the tiny tail the have the whole rear end wagged.

Kat Feb 17 2013 06:33 PM

Some have a little stub.yes I believe the whole butt wiggles. They have what is called the Corgi smile;

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/thing...e-corgis-happy

I found that when I hit Corgi smile... :lol:

They can be born with a tail. They rubber band it at birth.The ears are naturally erect,no cropping.

My mom and I both remarked while they've pretty much stopped the practice of docking/cropping not one of the dogs in the Westminster show was shown *au natural*

kevia Feb 17 2013 06:36 PM

Well, for us, the adventure has started. Dh retired the end of January and Friday we pulled out in our beautiful fifth wheel. We are just north of Charlotte, NC for a few days and visiting with friends. Tomorrow, we take off for St. Marys, GA, just north of the FL state line. We'll be spending the next couple months or so there, where it is warmer than NC.

Speaking of weather, it snowed yesterday!! Take a look!
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/f...3/IMG_0001.jpg

Anyway, as the weather warms up too much, we'll head north. But for now, I'm looking forward to getting away from the cold! (And yes, I know this doesn't compare with what the northern states experience. I used to live in NW PA. But as I get older, the cold goes right through me!)

r2005 Feb 17 2013 07:06 PM

Right now, as I type, we're in the middle of another blizzard warning, and I can hear the winds howling. I think this storm was only going to bring at most 9 inches of snow, and even after a storm that brought two feet, that amount is pretty normal.

The real issue is going to be the winds. I did see that one of the TV stations has had to go on their generator, so there are some places that have lost power not too far away from me.

GinnyStar Feb 17 2013 07:27 PM

r2005 Stay safe

kevia neat image, my dad has a fifth wheel he using for camping, use to take south to FL with him till he got a trailer in FL.

Kat
Thank for sharing I was lol at some of the images. :cool:

mawra Feb 19 2013 08:53 PM

Weekend snow here was strange, town fifteen minutes east of us got 8 inches of snow, here a heavy dusting, 30 min. west of here no snow at all.

Kat Feb 20 2013 07:12 AM

That happens (happened) all the time up in Rochester,NY you could even tell when you crossed county lines there'd be more snow.

P'ter Feb 20 2013 07:43 AM

We've had two lots of snow so far but, at present, the weather's ok and the spring flowers are on their way.

Priscilla Feb 22 2013 12:32 PM

My son's girlfriend works as the education reporter and photographer for a Connecticut newspaper. One of the things she writes is an "around town" article each week. A few weeks ago I gave her a large box of Anne's books that I know I'm not going to read again and in the box was a copy of "No One Noticed The Cat". All our family are serious cat lovers (she is too) so I was pleased when she mentioned in last week's issue of the paper that she had read and enjoyed the book. :good:

Moonlady Feb 23 2013 12:44 AM

He is learning however, I would like to spend less time in the ER with him. :eek:

Because ds#2 is on limited activity, we have been watching NCIS. We are currently on season 5. It is hilarious listening to his thoughts and opinions after an episode. :D

Ds#1 sprained his ankle at track practice yesterday. While the atheletic trainer was looking at it she notices some other issues which may lead to physical therapy for him. I will be taking him to see his doctor on Tuesday.

It seems my boys want my main memory of their teen years to be time spent in doctors offices or hospitals. :faint2: :roll:

GinnyStar Feb 23 2013 04:25 PM

Moonlady :group: and zen hugs, for you and yours

Priscilla that neat, I was telling someone about Anne McCaffrey too.

Priscilla Feb 24 2013 12:32 PM

I QUIT. My job, that is. Now officially retired and loving it! I've worked in daycare for more than 20 years and it was time to be "all done". If I could dance I'd be all over the place like Ginger Rogers! :D

Kat Feb 24 2013 03:03 PM

We've been well enthusiastic to say the least in taking pics of Gwen. And I've discovered both my husband and I SUCK at taking video on our little digital camera.:ugg:
But here's a couple pics of her. The three cats are all in an uproar but they'll all adjust. As you can see contrary to what her first picture looks to be she's not a red and white but a sable. (not that I care)

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a77...ps3f70450d.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a77...psd2cb0fbe.jpg

Priscilla Feb 24 2013 04:29 PM

She is gorgeous. What a face, it has "I love you" leaking right out of the eyes! :good:

Hans Feb 24 2013 04:42 PM

Lovely Kat! Absolutely lovely.

mara Feb 25 2013 08:02 AM

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO she so cute!

Anneli Feb 25 2013 03:10 PM

Many, many congratulations :bouncy: I hope you have a wonderful retirement reading, stitching and generally enjoying life as a "lady of leisure" ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Priscilla (Post 186324)
I QUIT. My job, that is. Now officially retired and loving it! I've worked in daycare for more than 20 years and it was time to be "all done". If I could dance I'd be all over the place like Ginger Rogers! :D

Priscilla Feb 25 2013 03:31 PM

Thank you! Now if I could just give "the man" a push onto a plane. Who knows. I never expected him to be so enthusiastic about my quitting work! So far I'm loving my first day. Someone asked if I plan to look for other part time work. Nooooo, not really. I have more than enough sewing and reading to keep me busy and my other project is to lose some weight. I've been way too lazy and it shows in places I'd rather it didn't. IF I got bored, there is always a cat shelter down the street that needs volunteers or the thrift store in town that also needs volunteers. Relaxing, that's the ticket! :good:

mawra Feb 25 2013 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Priscilla (Post 186324)

G00d

N0 0n 1/2 1etters are ty9e!ng as # can read n0 wr!te