A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum

A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum (http://forums.srellim.org/index.php)
-   Petaybee and Acorna (http://forums.srellim.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Child Slavery (http://forums.srellim.org/showthread.php?t=151)

Shani Nov 29 2004 09:55 PM

Child Slavery

It seemed to me that Federation Law could be bypassed whenever convenient to anyone. It was agains federation law what was happening to the children of Kezdet and yet all inspections were announced in advance, warning was given when suprise Raids would have allowed the law to be upheld and the children saved. Seems to me the Federation is happy to look the other way despite common knowlege. Doesn't say much for their 'laws'

Cheryl Nov 29 2004 10:00 PM

Re: Child Slavery

That's less about the laws than the people in positions of authority. Unfortunately politicians and policemen have always been bribable... :ugg:

AnnMarie Nov 29 2004 10:12 PM

I'll agree with Cheryl here.... Look at our own history, and child labor laws, and how well they were actually enforced until about the middle of the 1900s. Scarey thought, eh?

granath Nov 30 2004 04:36 AM

I'm with Cheryl here too. Laws are meaningless unless you have LEOs who actually enforce them.

Dragonsqueen Jan 8 2005 08:26 PM

What do you expect? most governments are corrupt! :roll:

bamsdragon Jan 25 2005 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragonsqueen
What do you expect? most governments are corrupt! :roll:

:eek: Corrupt!!!! Na... can't be.... Just because they promise one thing and don't delivor... or keep their word or try to get things by the people by wording things strangly.... that don't make them corrupt... :fiend:

You can trust them... Just like your favorite Used Car Sales Person... :yum:

Dragonsqueen Jan 26 2005 07:38 PM

:D haha, remember to always read the fine print!

Wagi Aug 29 2005 11:44 PM

not only read the fine print but get some one who knows what it all means and will help you understand

Kesal Oct 13 2005 12:51 AM

sad but true. Even now, sometimes you only see a case get to court when someone's been really, really insistent. The other problem there is there has to be absolute proof and evidence can be gotten rid of pretty quickly if someone has planned for it.

edith Oct 13 2005 04:44 AM

or ignored completely!
I know of one case where the judge in a civil case said that the laws of physics! and this was newtonian physics- p = mv and p1=p2, momentum = mass times velocity, and momentum in conserved- was not common sense.