A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room > Collecting Highlights Archives

Collecting Highlights Archives Past issues of the Collecting Highlights column for Anne McCaffrey Fans. Posts are open for reply, so feel free to add a comment about what you own or would like to!

Old Feb 13 2009, 03:39 PM   #1
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default Collecting Highlight (74) - The Lady aka The Carradyne Touch (The Valentine's CH)

Very appropiately I wanted to do a Collecting Highlight of the book that is the subject of the Valentine's Day Quest here on A Meeting of Minda: The Lady aka The Carradyne Touch (crossing my fingers that Pam didn't come up with any questions about the publication of this wonderful romance)
The original title of this 137,200 word romantic novel was "Cornanagh", the name of a little ton in Irish county Mayo (always thought that county had a funny name...). Futura/MacDonald and Ballantine each had a title for this Irish saga which was supposed to be "The Lady Touch", Anne recounts, "only I didn't write that book: then I've been calling it 'Cornanagh' which Americans couldn't pronounce and the English didn't want yet another book with a Manor House title. As Futura/MacDonald just published a book entitled 'The Lady', they couldn't use that. I don't like it either but the Ballantine edition of the Irish saga will be title 'The Lady'. I also do not like having two different titles but at least 'The Carradyne Touch'suggests something of what the book is about." So that solves the 'mystery' of the to different titles The book is dedicated to Robert Richard Evans, a promising Irish amateur jockey and friend of Anne's who was killed by somebody driving a stolen car in County Wicklow, on 18 August 1986.

The US hardcover edition of this book was published in 1987. The cover illustration is by Walter Rane.

The US hardcover edition of this book has three quarter gray paper boards and a gray cloth spine with gold foil lettering stamped on it. Its original price was $17.95. The first edition will have a classic number line (counting backwards) and the statement: "First Edition: November 1987". This edition also includes a glossary and a very nice map by David Lindroth:

The UK hardcover edition, published by Macdonald from London, was published in the following year (1988) with an original price of 11.95 pounds. Michael Hargreaves notes that the text has minor variations from the US edition (I believe him, I never checked). Other alterations include the deletion of the map and the glossary that appear in the US edition and the inclusion of a contents page and a character listing.

The book is bound in blue reinforced paper with gold foil lettering stamped on the spine. The cover art is by Pam Masco and was used by me for some photoshop fun involving Master Maelin's portrait of my good friend Anneli.

Both books were published as mass market paperbacks in respectively November 1988 and April 1989. They have different cover art from the hardcovers. I do not know who the artist was for the US paperback but wouldn't at all be surprised if it was Walter RAne, who also did the art for the hardcover. The UK edition has cover art by Gwyneth Jones. Like with the hardcovers the US has the map, the UK edition does not.

The US paperback front cover

The UK paperback front cover

All these books, the UK editions much less than the US ones, which seems understandable, are regularly found for sale on the internet and second hand bookshops. I've especially seen the US hardback offered many times (on eBay) for what I think extremey low prices the last few years and even saw new copies sold with remainder marks.

As far as I know "The Lady" is also available as an audio book, while "The Carradyne Touch" is not.

I know there is an ARC (Advanced Reader's Copy or proof) of "The Lady" and I thought I had a picture of it (my memory says simple red 'text' cover) but I can't find it anywere. So the only far more rare and far more collectible item I can show you here is the ARC/uncorrected proof of "The Carradyne Touch":

I have never seen one for sale in my time as a collector but maybe one of you have seen one of either ARC's for sale? If that's the case I'd be very interested in their prices.

EDIT:
Hah! Found that little, low quality picture of the Uncorrected Proof of The Lady in my myriad files with covers. I think I took it off eBay. Here it is:

I wish you all a Happy Valentine's Day and for the questers: good luck with the Quest!

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.

Last edited by Hans; Feb 14 2009 at 05:58 AM.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13 2009, 06:44 PM   #2
Sandi

Default Re: Collecting Highlight (74) - The Lady aka The Carradyne Touch (The Valentine's CH)

I have the US paperback copy. It's falling apart so I guess I'll need to replace it soon. It has some oddities in the front (including a reference to a science fiction novel called Dragon Sons!) but I like the map, tiny little thing that it is, and the cover art. I would gladly trade the glossary of terms (I am very familiar with bellboots) for the list of characters. And an Irish name pronounciation guide might have been nice for some of us.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13 2009, 07:13 PM   #3
unicorntig
Dragonrider

Candidate

Fan of: Pern Series
Default Re: Collecting Highlight (74) - The Lady aka The Carradyne Touch (The Valentine's CH)

Very good highlight Hans!! It’s interesting to learn what Anne went through in trying to come up with a proper name for the book. I never realized how complicated the process could be.

I look forward to participating in the quiz tomorrow!!
Old Feb 13 2009, 11:34 PM   #4
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Hans...this is a very nice *Highlight* with great information. It's also very appropriate what with having *The Lady* quiz right at hand.
I am lucky to have several of the U.S. HC...in my collection, each one an improvement on the last one I bought, as well as a couple of the paperback editions. This book being my most favorite of Anne's so called romances, what with reading it several times...like Sandi says the book does have a tendency to fall apart over time, so you need to have an extra one around.
I do enjoy the U.S. paperback artwork better than any of the others that are shown here, as it is the closest in my opinion to what the character in the story looks like....as well as one of the horses Anne writes about.

...Sandi...I also had to have a good laugh when I saw the *Dragon Sons* in the list of other books from this author. You would think that they would at least get their spelling correct on the front pages..

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14 2009, 01:24 AM   #5
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

US/UK paperback versions are on my bookshelf. Wasn't this also in an Omnibus too?

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14 2009, 03:57 AM   #6
Hans
Master Archivist

I don't tink so, Jube, it isn't in the "Three Gothic Novels" nor in "Three Women". Maybe you're thining of "The Kilternan Legacy"?

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Feb 14 2009, 05:59 AM   #7
Hans
Master Archivist

Found the elusive picture of the Uncorrected Proof of the US edition and have aded it to the original post.

Old Feb 14 2009, 08:21 AM   #8
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

I was originally thinking of 3 women and 3 gothic novels but I'm just wondering if there was another one, I missed perhaps.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
Old Feb 14 2009, 10:30 AM   #9
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

No, The Lady has never been in an omnibus.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15 2009, 08:14 AM   #10
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

Of course not, she'd always go in her chauffeur driven limousine, or hire a taxi.

"When I became a man I put away childish things,
including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

To err is human: to purr is cat"

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

More Bach than sound bite!
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15 2009, 06:04 PM   #11
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Okidoki then!

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
Old Feb 16 2009, 10:23 AM   #12
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too

Hans, glad you found a pic of the US proof....if you'd like a better one I can post mine. My proof copy also came with a proof of the dust jacket. I went into a book store, back to their buying area, and asked if they had anything by Anne that hadn't been put on the shelves yet. I was told that they'd just taken in a proof of The Lady. I first thought they'd put the dust jacket cover as the proof cover but then saw that it was larger than the proof once I got my hands on it. Needless to say that it was going to be mine and for $7 you can bet I had my money out in a flash!!!
Old Feb 16 2009, 11:00 AM   #13
Hans
Master Archivist

Great acquisition, Becky! And a nice story to boot.

I think the current pic is OK. It's from a copy recenrtly offered on eBay and for once I managed to say no

A picture of the proof of the dustjacket night be an extra though.

Old Feb 16 2009, 11:07 AM   #14
L'isa

Fan of: Dragonflight
Now Reading: Xenocide

P'TER!!!! ...shakes finger at him...
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
L'isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16 2009, 11:08 AM   #15
L'isa

Fan of: Dragonflight
Now Reading: Xenocide

Nice Highlight, Hans. I have the American hardback. Have yet to actually read it, though.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
L'isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16 2009, 10:37 PM   #16
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post
Hans, glad you found a pic of the US proof....if you'd like a better one I can post mine. My proof copy also came with a proof of the dust jacket. I went into a book store, back to their buying area, and asked if they had anything by Anne that hadn't been put on the shelves yet. I was told that they'd just taken in a proof of The Lady. I first thought they'd put the dust jacket cover as the proof cover but then saw that it was larger than the proof once I got my hands on it. Needless to say that it was going to be mine and for $7 you can bet I had my money out in a flash!!!
Holy Cow Becky Congratulations...when did this happen? You do always seem to find the most wonderful items for your AMC collection...your luck at finding them, is as amazing as your collection is incredible.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old Feb 16 2009, 11:47 PM   #17
Becky
Coelura

Well, Maelin.....it's just one of those things.....all I did was ask. It's that thing I seem to be able to do....ask about something and have it fall into my hands, so to speak. It doesn't always work, but the times it has worked it's worked very very well!

And for Hans.... here's a copy of the proof jacket...the proof itself is there too. It was already in the picture.

Not much different than the one on the book, but kind of neat to have anyway.
Old Feb 17 2009, 12:14 AM   #18
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

WOW!! I love it... that looks great...and Huge. You could have framed it like a poster...I know I would have...I just love this book. One more incredible thing from your endlessly amazing colleciton...

P.S. Thanks to you and your *Just ask*, I have several things in my collection that I never thought I would own....

Old Feb 17 2009, 02:52 AM   #19
Hans
Master Archivist

Thanks for putting up the picture, Bcky. Your collection is indeed amazing! Now not to nitpick, but... how do you know this is a proof of the dustjacket? What indicates this?

Old Feb 18 2009, 02:50 PM   #20
Becky
Coelura

Well, Hans, part is assumption and part is deduction. The dust jacket on my hard cover gives the price of $17.95, that price is missing from the one with the proof. I figure that if someone had put the dust jacket from a hardcover with the proof the price would be on it too. So I am assuming that it's a proof since there's no price. That is the only difference between the two dust jackets. So I could be wrong, but am thinking I'm right. Tho could be VERY wrong!
I also have a proof dust jacket from Three Gothic Novels...I know it's a proof because it came from Chuck Miller of Underwood-Miller and he said it was a proof. It is the same as the dust jacket on the hard cover book, so I'd not know if he hadn't said it was.
So telling a proof is guess work at best, but to me lack of a price and it being on a proof of the book indicates it being a proof too.
Old Feb 18 2009, 03:04 PM   #21
Hans
Master Archivist

Yes, no price on it seems a very good indication

Old Feb 18 2009, 03:38 PM   #22
Becky
Coelura

Glad you agree with me, Hans. Especially since the proof of Three Gothic Novels does have the price on it. So that's very confusing at best.

Maelin, I don't have the dust jacket framed and hanging. I'd like to but after I hung the Three Gothic Novels dust jacket and had it fade I will keep it on the proof and out of the light of day. (the doors on my book case have fabric over the glass to keep out the sunlight) The dust jacket wasn't even in direct sunlight, it was indirect and still faded it. Lesson learned....the hard way.
Old Feb 18 2009, 04:16 PM   #23
Hans
Master Archivist

Don't feel bad about it Becky, you had the pleasure of looking at it and having it out in the open. I often make that choice... I mean what's the use of beautiful and nice things if you have to keep hem "locked up". I know, it might affect the value (sometimes it will no) but I'll probably always chose for showing.

What's the use of owning a Rembrandt but keeping it in a bank vault (alright, it's OK if you only bought it for investment... but in that case I probably would invest in something else )

Old Feb 18 2009, 04:44 PM   #24
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Becky the inks that are use in printing book covers isn't very good, at least not for long lasting brilliance. I think we have all had the spines of our book cover fade, if only a small amount...even when they are in low light situations. They do make special glass that is very good at blocking light from doing damage to art work...but it is very expencive, considering the price of normal framings under glass.

Old Feb 18 2009, 05:21 PM   #25
Becky
Coelura

Hans and Maelin....very true both of you. I did indeed enjoy having the Three Gothics cover displayed, but was very sad indeed to see the damage later on. Not for any value sake, just the fact that it was damaged in any way made me sad. If my hubby were more into Anne's books I might get to display more, but since he's not they stay nice and safe behind the book case doors. (especially with Abby more and more mobile!)
Old Feb 18 2009, 05:28 PM   #26
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

I am indeed, very lucky that my Martin is also a collector...and we each have plenty of room for our ever growing collections. I probably put up more than most people would, but I am a very visual person...and enjoy seeing things as I walk by everyday. I do understand the sadness of having one of your fantastic collection ruined...its definitely not the money to a collector..its the damage to something so beloved. I don't think that I would put things out either with those little fingers roaming around my house...locked doors will keep it safe...until she is old enough to want to give them a read herself...maybe even a AMC fan someday herself.

Old Feb 19 2009, 03:12 PM   #27
Becky
Coelura

It would indeed be so neat to have another Anne lover in the house! Abby loves to be read to so there's hope for her.
Old Feb 19 2009, 04:21 PM   #28
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Start 'em young, Becky. Junior will often get his Pokemon books, PS2 magazines etc out to read so if there's something that Abby likes, go for it.

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
Old Feb 19 2009, 09:01 PM   #29
Becky
Coelura

We read whatever book Abby grabs. She's got loads of board books, but her favorites are these two books with fairies in them......Fairy Colors and Fairy Numbers by Caroline Repchuk. She wants us to read them all the time. Then there are some Sesame Street books that she loves too...anything with Abby Cadabby. So there is hope...and I never turn her away whenever she's got a book in her hand.
Old Feb 19 2009, 10:23 PM   #30
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Well thats how I started out with my three girls, my daughter doesn't read anything for relaxation...but does read for her work daily. Fo my Grand-daughters...I gave each of them, their own copy of Book CLud edition of Dragonriders of Pern. Just to give them a gentle push into fun reading and to get them started on the first three of Anne's Dragon stories....in the hopes that I might gain two more McCaffrey fans in the family. We are yet to see those books take root...but I still have very high hopes.

Old Feb 20 2009, 02:24 PM   #31
Becky
Coelura

They may take root yet, Maelin. The girls are still young enough to begin to enjoy them and it may even take a few years more for them to start enjoying them. Don't give up hope!
Old Feb 20 2009, 05:50 PM   #32
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Becky...I'll never give up hope...not when it comes to reading. I belive
that reading is one of the small pleasures in life that can inhance the
rest of your life...each and every day.

Old Feb 21 2009, 12:00 PM   #33
Becky
Coelura

My daughter doesn't read much but she just got a new Iphone and you can download books on it and she was excited about that, so maybe she'll read on her phone. There's always hope and you're never too old to read.
Old Feb 21 2009, 08:11 PM   #34
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Becky...pretty soon those dratted mobile phones will be able to read the stories to you as well. We are becoming a mobile phone society...no one talks to anybody face to face anymore...its all done on the phone, either in gab or by text. I still enjoy the personal touch...being able to see the person I'm talking to...and all their unseen facial comments as well...sorry...END OF RANT!!!

Old Feb 22 2009, 02:04 PM   #35
Becky
Coelura

I like to see people too and love the computer and camera setup so I can see my grandsons, as you get to see and talk to your granddaughters. But I agree the phones are getting to be just too much. I have a plain cell phone that doesn't even take pictures and that's enough for me. I don't use it much either. But if cell phones ever come up with a video link to the other person then I might change my tune and get one of those!
Old Feb 22 2009, 03:34 PM   #36
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

Well my Sony Ericson has both a camera (movieclip and still) that I only use in extremis, and it also has a web cam, but that might be because it is a phone that can uplink a laptop to the web (very expensive on the phonebill).

"When I became a man I put away childish things,
including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

To err is human: to purr is cat"

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

More Bach than sound bite!
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote