A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room

Book Collector's Meeting Room Whether you're an experienced collector or just starting out, this is the place to discuss Anne's books in all their various bindings, languages, and cover art.

Old May 16 2008, 03:06 AM   #1
Deanne
Softshell

Fan of: The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Stranger in a Strange Land
Default Prices of Signed Books Have Fallen!!!

I am really amazed! Just today a signed Bradywyne slipcased edition of Moreta sold on ebay for $22.50. Granted the case had a fair amount of soiling but the book was advertised as being in fine condition.....a few hours later a signed Underwood Miller first edition of The Coleura went for about $16.00...........I wanted to kick myself as I had missed the ends of both of these auctions. But it is also a pretty good indication that prices are definately at a low, most people just cannot afford to invest big money into a book when prices for everyday expenses are so high. A trip to the grocery store and the gas station and wham! A couple of hundred dollars are gone and that's not even starting on the "bills". I had noticed that as gas prices have risen sharply my sales have been slow, books are a luxury for most if it cost more than a few dollars and a cheap reading copy has to do if you want something to read. The money just isn't going for the more expensive collectable books. I suppose it is a plus for the collector's to get the bargain prices but for the sellers and as a sign of the economy in general it's almost scary.......
Deanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2008, 05:52 AM   #2
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman
Default Re: Prices of Signed Books Have Fallen!!!

There was a Chapbook Habit is an Old Horse that went unsold at £50 yesterday over here (I wish I could have afforded it).
I'm actually thinking of selling duplicates at the moment as I have a tightish three months ahead (possible work experience means I have to allow £30 travel money a week) so even a cheap goody will have to wait.
Old May 16 2008, 09:01 AM   #3
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

As a collector, I say YAY!
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2008, 01:06 PM   #4
~(_'>

Much prefer the prices come down.
~(_'> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2008, 07:41 PM   #5
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

As a collector of Anne's books etc...I feel like Cheryl about this subject...YIPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE !!!

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2008, 10:01 PM   #6
Bookjunkie
Loo Cow

Fan of: All the Weyrs of Pern
Now Reading: Dragon Harper

As a collector I say "IT"S ABOUT TIME" I thought prices were really starting to get out of hand. Don't get me wrong. I think a Fine 1st/1st of Anne's older books are worth every penny that sombody is willing to pay for them but, Geeeze. I've been lucky to have been able to aquire a couple of excellent condition 1st/1st signed copies but I didn't have to remortgage the house to purchase them either.
Bookjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2008, 02:05 AM   #7
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

I agree, although I haven't attempted to go this way yet but I remember asking someone to search for a particular book and it was over $2500 (roughly 8 years ago) and I went "what part of NO to that amount do they understand?". However I did see one Anne book on ebay for $100US, a week later, the price was down to $80US. So in one week, I could have saved $20 (no I haven't brought it, my budget only allows for so much).

Find me on ebay.....

Here'tis!
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2008, 05:09 PM   #8
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

Yes, this is a trend for most collectable Anne McCaffrey books. I noticed the prices of most of the Easton Press edition goig down for the last six months (I keep track of prices on eBay). DelRey hardcovers have been offered for a lot less than the ridiculous over $750 prices.

I've long since felt that some of the AMC stff was way overpriced, but... if collectors pay those prices (and they did) you can't help the sellers trying to make some money

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote