A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room > Collecting Highlights Archives

Collecting Highlights Archives Past issues of the Collecting Highlights column for Anne McCaffrey Fans. Posts are open for reply, so feel free to add a comment about what you own or would like to!

Old Jun 30 2007, 02:24 PM   #1
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)
Brown Collecting Highlight (56) - Dragondrums, UK 1st HC and "F'nor and Canth" poster

Dragondrums is the final book of the Harper Hall trilogy, and the 6th published story about Pern. It tells the story of Piemur, former boy soprano, after his voice breaks and he must find his new place of purpose in the Harper Hall.

I know what you're thinking, Didn't Cheryl just do a CH on this book? Yes, but that was for the US edition - now I'm covering the first UK hardcover, which was the second published edition of the book preceded only by the US hardcover.

The UK hardcover of Dragondrums was published by Sidgwick & Jackson in 1979, which sold for £5.95 (as indicated by a sticker on the flyleaf, rather than being printed upon it). The cover art is by Colin Saxton. This book is smaller than a typical hardback, being the size of a standard trade paperback or bookclub edition instead.

I could only find one copy of the first edition of this book for sale online, for $250. A reprint was issued in Jan 1980, which can be had for a much more affordable price ($20-50).

Related to the UK edition of this book is "F'nor and Canth," a limited edition poster which Anne commissioned for the 1972 World Science Fiction Convention in Los Angeles. The poster measures nearly 15 by 21 inches. The Colin Saxton artwork from it was reused for the UK Dragondrums cover seven years later. 1000 copies were made and signed by Anne, but half of them were reportedly lost in shipping. The original sale price of this poster is not noted in Hargreaves, and I've never seen a copy for sale.

(poster should be in color; Hargreaves only includes black and white reproductions)

A uniquely interesting fact about this artwork is that Anne has stated in at least two interviews (first in 1983, and the other much more recently) that Colin Saxton's dragons most closely capture her own image of Pernese dragons.

If anyone has seen (or owns!) this poster, please do share. Also, if anyone has advice on finding posters -- which is more challenging than book searches, we'd love to hear it too.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30 2007, 02:25 PM   #2
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Default Re: Collecting Highlight (56) - Dragondrums, UK 1st HC and "F'nor and Canth" poster

As a sidenote, I have an extra copy of the first edtion for sale, for much less than the $250 copy findable online. PM or email me if you'd like to know details about the book's condition, and my asking price.
Old Jun 30 2007, 04:57 PM   #3
Hans
Master Archivist

Default Re: Collecting Highlight (56) - Dragondrums, UK 1st HC and "F'nor and Canth" poster

Nice price on that book

Cheryl, you really should also include the story/data about the poster which is in Hargreaves!

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30 2007, 05:09 PM   #4
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

I would love to be able to take this one off your hands...but alas my budget is just to tight rignt now. I do have my two copies of the U.S edition so I will be content with those instead... and hope that whomever buys is will give it a lovely home....sigh!!!!

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30 2007, 06:10 PM   #5
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Umm, I thought I did report everything that Hargreaves had to say about the poster Hans, what did I miss?

And Lin, this book hasn't exactly been leaping out of my hands nor am I rushing to list it on eBay, so there's a decent possibility I'll still have it when you have a more free budget in the future.
Old Jun 30 2007, 06:20 PM   #6
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Oooooooooooh My

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old Jul 1 2007, 06:19 PM   #7
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

I have a copy of the book but I don't know which edition- its one of my poor ex-library books. I'll have to look now.

there's been one on e-bay UK for ages with starting bid £49 when it didn't sell, the seller just relisted it!
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1 2007, 07:09 PM   #8
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too

It would be great to see the poster! If someone has it, please post pics of it. Nice highlight, Cheryl!
Old Jul 2 2007, 06:05 PM   #9
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Cheryl, my checks in the mail as of today...Thank You dear friend so very much.

P.S Please remember to inscribe it to me....as it will always have a home here with the rest of my treasured books.