A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room > Collecting Highlights Archives

Collecting Highlights Archives Past issues of the Collecting Highlights column for Anne McCaffrey Fans. Posts are open for reply, so feel free to add a comment about what you own or would like to!

Old Jun 20 2007, 12:44 AM   #1
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too
Default Collecting Highlight (55) - Dragonflight Walker & Co

I know I just did a highlight on Dragonflight, but it did not include much about the Walker & Co 1st edition. Today I'm going to remedy that. I recently came into posession of a copy of this wonderful book!

Published in 1968 by Walker & Co, the original purchase price was $4.95. (If anyone knows how many copies were published, please post! Tho I think I remember hearing 10,000.) The jacket was designed by Lena Fong Lueg. Current pricing (per Bookfinder.com search) range from $904.90 for an ex-library to $2505.00 for a Fine, Signed copy. Or you may get lucky on eBay and find a copy cheaper and by cheaper I mean for around $500.00 to $675.00. It's doubtful that you'll find a copy much cheaper since even the ex-library copies are fairly high priced, tho there is always hope that one will come up for a reasonable price. The Del Rey 1st edition copies have been found for a fair price recently, so there's hope.

An absolutely pristine copy of the Walker & Co Dragonflight is on display at the Science Fiction Museum in Seattle. It was put up when they held Anne's induction into the SF Hall of Fame last year. Sadly it's probably gone now to make room for the new inductees' items. I'll have to see if I can get back there someday and find if it's still on display.

This is an interesting concept of the dragons, at least they got Lessa on a gold one and she has clothes on.

The top edges of the pages are yellow, like the book cover.

I've tried to get as many photos of the book posted for your review. I do apologize for some pics having parts of the dust jacket in them, the white mylar cover is a bit distracting. I do hope that these pictures answer any questions you may have had about this edition. Please post any questions you have and I'll try to answer them for you if this doesn't help.
Old Jun 20 2007, 10:35 AM   #2
~(_'>

Default Re: Collecting Highlight - (55) - Dragonflight Walker & Co

Nice.
~(_'> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20 2007, 11:12 AM   #3
sjslack
JourneyWoman woodsmith

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: as usual

...'Nice' doesn't cover it. That looks like a fantastically well-kept book you've managed to get yourself there Becky...^^

I'd no idea that only 10,000 of this edition had been published. (Mind, I didn't really have any idea as to how many, but still...10,000 wasn't expected all the same.)
sjslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20 2007, 12:56 PM   #4
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

How come the blurb on the back of the jacket has NOTHING to do with Anne, Pern or Dragonriders?

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20 2007, 01:33 PM   #5
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

Quote:
Originally Posted by P'ter View Post
How come the blurb on the back of the jacket has NOTHING to do with Anne, Pern or Dragonriders?
A lot of books have that- I've a few at home- I don't know whether its a period feature or not
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20 2007, 02:48 PM   #6
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

A great collectible, consider me jealous! Great to have such clear and wonderful pictures of it, too. Needless to say this is one of the items still missing in my collection

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20 2007, 03:17 PM   #7
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Have you covered the Rapp and Whiting Dragonflight yet?
Old Jun 20 2007, 03:22 PM   #8
Hans
Master Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by edith View Post
Have you covered the Rapp and Whiting Dragonflight yet?
No, that (and the Dragonsong hc) are the only ones missing in the complete UK series.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Jun 20 2007, 03:24 PM   #9
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
No, that (and the Dragonsong hc) are the only ones missing in the complete UK series.
I've got both of those
not in amazing condition though! They're both ex-library copies...
but I love them.
Old Jun 20 2007, 03:26 PM   #10
Hans
Master Archivist

I know! I think you outbid me on that bunch of (I later learned) horribly smelly books, didn't you?

Old Jun 20 2007, 03:36 PM   #11
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Becky, Lovely collectibe you have there...Congratulations on your recent winning of it.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20 2007, 03:50 PM   #12
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
I know! I think you outbid me on that bunch of (I later learned) horribly smelly books, didn't you?
I can't honestly remember- I know there was 1 bid but it wasn't you- I think I've guessed your ebay name. You were bidding on a Dragonsinger I was drooling over.
Old Jun 20 2007, 07:30 PM   #13
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

Thanks for all the photos, nice to see it in all its glory! I have an ex-lib copy in good condition considering, gotten for a reasonable price! I doubt I'll ever have a non-ex-lib, unless I get really lucky and either win the lottery or stumble across a seller that doesn't know what they have.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21 2007, 12:21 AM   #14
Becky
Coelura

The book is in much more wonderful condition than I thought it would be, the only thing that detracts from it is the bookplate.....
What I'm thinking of doing is covering that with an Anne signed one.....
Now I haven't stuck it on the page yet, because I'm waiting for your feedback. This isn't an ex-library and I think the price I paid is very reasonable considering there is an ex-library on bookfinder for $900.
Old Jun 21 2007, 12:44 AM   #15
Becky
Coelura

Quote:
Originally Posted by P'ter View Post
I'm not sure if it's what they did back in the late 60's or if it's because it was the first of the series and they didn't know much about her or Pern. I hope someone can answer that question, it's a good one!

Edi - I don't own the UK editions of DF or DQ, someone else will have to take those on.

I tend to go for only the US copies, unless a book only came out in hardcover in the UK. Or if I find a real bargain on a UK edition when I know I can't afford the US.
I have had the Del Rey versions of DF and DQ for years and have gotten to the point in my life where this particular copy by Walker & Co was within my 'booking' budget. Well, not really within budget as I won't be buying a whole heck of a lot for a few months!

And yes, Cheryl, it is Glorious! I don't know when I'll come down from the high I got when I opened the package!
Old Jun 21 2007, 02:43 AM   #16
Hans
Master Archivist

I said it before and I say it now, I think the (nice) bookplate of the previous owner lends something extra to the history and 'life' of the book. Personally I wouldn't put Anne's bookplate over it but then, who am I? You should do what you like best!

Do you have an ex libris of your own? I would paste it under the old one!

Old Jun 21 2007, 10:03 AM   #17
Becky
Coelura

As I look at the book and the picture I posted here I'm thinking that the bookplate doesn't detract quite so much. It's a very nice looking bookplate and the colors of it actually work well with the page color. Am thinking that I might not do anything at all.
No, Hans, I don't have any bookplates of my own to add to it. I'm liking it the way it is more and more.
Old Jun 21 2007, 10:16 PM   #18
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Hellooo Juanita!!! I have at least two of Juanita's books, inscribed "To Juanita" from "Anne"...I just love inscribed books...and like Hans, I love all the odd ball book plates and writen names and even the dogeared pages...you know all those things that give a lovely old book its soul.

@Becky, I am glad that you are thinking about leaving the old book plate in this one...it is a beautiful one, and inhances the book nicely. Makes me wish I had found this one...she'd feel like an old friend to me...but I know that you will really enjoy her.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old Jun 21 2007, 11:33 PM   #19
Becky
Coelura

Maelin, it kind of makes me sad to know that Juanita had to get rid of her books or a relative has sold them off. Makes you wonder what exactly did happen to cause these books to be out and about rather than safely tucked away. (tho I'm glad we've been able to tuck them safely away ourselves!)
Yep, I'm gonna leave the bookplate in and keep the Anne signed one, maybe frame it to go with some other bookplates of hers I've got. Yep, that's the way to go.
Old Jun 21 2007, 11:51 PM   #20
Sandi

I think you've made the right choice, Becky. It is a beautiful bookplate and shows that she really cared about the book. And it adds a certain air of mystery to it as well!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22 2007, 04:23 PM   #21
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Default Re: Collecting Highlight (55) - Dragonflight Walker & Co

Becky, I have often wondered if she has passed away I just can't imagine somone that had books like hers selling them, this was a long time spent collecting not to mention going and getting Anne to inscribe them to her. Whatever the reason...it makes me sad to know that they are all being sold...yet happy that at least a few of them have drifted into our caring hands. Now they will rest happy...in our collections.

Old Jun 22 2007, 11:40 PM   #22
Becky
Coelura

Amen, Maelin!
Old Jun 23 2007, 10:28 AM   #23
Becky
Coelura

Just a note, or rather thought, on the number of Walker DF's that were originally published. I just got thru reading the interview of Anne in Space Voyager. (just received my copy last nite, lovely interview!) Anyway, Anne talks about the numbers for the hard cover White Dragon when it was first published being 5,000 at first (it ended up being 85000 she says), so maybe we can say that my 10,000 figure isn't too far off?
Old Jun 23 2007, 11:26 AM   #24
Hans
Master Archivist

I really haven't the faintest idea, Becky. Is the publisher still in existence, so we could ask?

Old Jun 23 2007, 11:50 AM   #25
Becky
Coelura

I actually went to Walker and Co to see if I could find out more but there was nothing listed about publishing Anne's books. I've not tried emailing them, but could certainly give it a shot. I've not had the best of luck with emails recently. I used to have good luck.
Old Jun 23 2007, 02:43 PM   #26
Hans
Master Archivist

Please do send a mail, at least you tried if you do. Next time I'm at Anne's I could rummage through the old files, but it might be years before I'm at Dragonhold again...

Old Jun 23 2007, 10:12 PM   #27
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Well I think we can all agree, that any way you want to cut it...there still weren't enough of them printed. If there were we would all have a copy of it...and would have only paid a $1.98 for them

Old Jun 24 2007, 03:51 AM   #28
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

Chance would be a fine thing!

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote