A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room > Collecting Highlights Archives

Collecting Highlights Archives Past issues of the Collecting Highlights column for Anne McCaffrey Fans. Posts are open for reply, so feel free to add a comment about what you own or would like to!

Old May 31 2007, 08:58 PM   #1
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)
Brown Collecting Highlight (53) - Dragondrums, US 1st HC

Dragondrums is the final book of the Harper Hall trilogy, and the 6th published story about Pern. It tells the story of Piemur, former boy soprano, after his voice breaks and he must find his new place of purpose in the Harper Hall.

The first printing of this book was the US hardcover edition from Athenuem in 1979, which sold for $8.95. The cover art is by Fred Marcellino. The copyright page of this book states that a Canadian edition was published simultaneously by McClelland and Stewart Ltd, but this edition has never been proven to exist.

Now if you're looking to collect this book, there is a bit more you need to know to look for in the 1st edition/1st printing, because there are three states to the first printing. These are due to variations in the binding and/or dustjacket, and there are roughly 3500 copies of each variant. In priority order the three variants are:

1) Book bound in rust brown cloth. A circular logo stating "an argo book"

2) Book bound in blue cloth. The Argo logo is stamped on the bottom spine and printed on the dust jacket spine as well.

3) Book bound in blue cloth. The Argo logo is stamped on the spine of the book but is not found on the dust jacket.

Booksellers on eBay may or may not be aware of these variants so they may not list the full details you need to distinguish between them -- so ask the seller the appropriate questions to find out. Having just done a search of used booksellers online, I've found that many of them do know of the variants and list which one they have for sale.

Pricing varies wildly for this book, from $25 to an ambitiously optimistic $500, with a number of good condition copies (i.e. not ex-lib or otherwise poor condition) available around $50.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2007, 11:16 PM   #2
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !
Default Re: Collecting Highlight (51) - Dragondrums, US 1st HC

@Cheryl, Very informative...I had no idea that there were so many different edition differences. No once again I have to run to my book case and find out just which one I have...and if I need to go and find another copy. Thank you for all your work in the collector benift..

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1 2007, 12:20 AM   #3
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too

I hate to admit this, but I had forgotten all about the different bindings!!! Great Highlight! Thanks for the reminder, Cheryl!!
Old Jun 1 2007, 04:27 AM   #4
Hans
Master Archivist

Great highlight, Cheryl.

Does anybody know if there's a larger letter edition, too? With this particualr dustjacket I mean.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1 2007, 08:28 AM   #5
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Becky, I'd forgotten about the variants too (if I ever knew, but I think I had noticed that in Hargreaves before). When I was culling my shelves for duplicate copies to offer for sale a bit ago, I nearly tried to sell one off! But when I started checking thoroughly to see which was in better condition, I noticed the color difference in the binding and ran to my Hargreaves to check.

Hans -- I don't know about your question, but it wouldn't surprise me.
Old Jun 1 2007, 10:03 AM   #6
~(_'>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Great highlight, Cheryl.

Does anybody know if there's a larger letter edition, too? With this particualr dustjacket I mean.
If you mean large print, yes, there is.
~(_'> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1 2007, 10:18 AM   #7
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

OK, I went and checked mine...its has the same Dust Jacket that you pictured, and has the blue cloth covered boards. Its a 1st, second printing and signed. The price was right at the time and I didn't know about the rest then anyways... not sure it would have changed my mind though. Maybe thats why they change the cloth color on the books boards... maybe it instantly say what printing it is to the printers ???

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old Jun 18 2007, 01:12 PM   #8
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

I found another one of these when we were at San Diego this last weekend, it is also a blue cloth boards...1st edition, fifth printing May 1979. It is in fine condition with only one small cover wrinkle on the bottom of the spine,protected in mylar and a small smudge on the bottom end papers. The rest is beautiful...all for only $10.00 YIPEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Old Jun 18 2007, 02:43 PM   #9
Hans
Master Archivist

That's a great price and it found a great home...

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Jun 18 2007, 03:00 PM   #10
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Yes it did Hans...just like a lot of my other books that I have found sitting all alone in a dark, dusty and cold used book store ...until I come to take them home with me.
P.S. Running a shelter for lost or abandoned McCaffrey books is very rewarding..!!!

Old Jun 18 2007, 11:32 PM   #11
Becky
Coelura

You're too funny, Maelin!!!
Old Jun 19 2007, 06:52 PM   #12
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Becky...thank you my friend....I try

Old Jun 27 2007, 11:12 AM   #13
L'isa

Fan of: Dragonflight
Now Reading: Xenocide
Default Re: Collecting Highlight (53) - Dragondrums, US 1st HC

I have just started dabbling with the collecting. All the highlights really help. I wish I had know some of these things before I started. I have just begun to read thru all the highlight sections. Thanks!
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
L'isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28 2007, 01:50 PM   #14
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Lisa, You should check into all the old highlight pages in the MoM archives...they are loaded with so many wonderful things concerning Anne McCaffrey. I have found many, many items for my own collection...just from going in there and looking up Titiles and ISBN #'s...and getting to see what the object looks like...lets me decide if I want it or not...and what I am truely looking for, and the kind of prices I might have to pay for it.

Last edited by Lady Maelin; Jun 29 2007 at 04:03 PM.
Old Jun 29 2007, 09:30 AM   #15
L'isa

Thanks, Maelin, I will do that. I just acquired a few things from ebay. Now I need to start venturing to the used book stores. We have several of the half price book stores around me. Just need the time. At least now I know better what to look for.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old Jun 29 2007, 09:39 AM   #16
Becky
Coelura

Ah, Half Price bookstores! Love them! I found many a book there. There are several of those in the Seattle area where I used to live. I'd make a circuit of them a couple times a month. Not the greatest place to take your books to and sell to them tho. I heard they only give a dime for PB and like 50 cents for HC. So not a good place, unless you just want to get rid of the books without any hassels.
My friend found a signed Anne book there once for just a couple of dollars. She was thrilled, someone had missed it because they charge more for signed copies. And another friend found a signed Damia HC for $5 at another store. So deals can be found, ya just have to look and look frequently, cuz ya never know when they'll appear.
Old Jun 29 2007, 09:41 AM   #17
Hans
Master Archivist

What's this HalfPrice stores? A consortium or just a brand name or just a format (name) adapted by regular second hand bookstores.

And... half of what?

Old Jun 29 2007, 10:02 AM   #18
Becky
Coelura

It's a chain of used book stores that are in certain areas of the US.

They originally started selling books at half the issue price, hence Half Price Books. But they've gotten smart and prices are not always half price if it's a collectible book. They also sell computer software and games at good prices and even have DVD movies. And of course books on tape. Used text books, comics, music CDs and albums too. Some stores are larger than others with more variety, but they all have a good selection of books.

It's the price that they pay for the books they have that I object to. Especially since I know of a dealer who will pay a dollar for a paperback and up to $5 for a HC. And he has a huge store with as much variety and is very busy selling books. And because people know he gives a fair price for books they travel to him over Half Price.
Old Jun 29 2007, 02:20 PM   #19
~(_'>

Half Price book stores are great. I know that the Houston area has at least 7. I hit all of them at least once. Great deals on books. Yeah, to much if they know that the books are collectable. But, can't beat the prices on stuff like, computer games, and older computer books. Not EVERYONE has a brand new computer. I know that Des Moines used to have one. Not sure if it still does.

One really good used book store in Houston was not a Half Price store though. Don't remember the name, but it had a great huge selection of books. Not right impressed with the people who worked there. Those are the folks that declared Anne dead and gone. We set her straight pretty quick.
~(_'> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29 2007, 04:09 PM   #20
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Never heard of 1/2 priced book stores here...but I know I'm going to see if I can find any that we may have missed!!!
Thank you... Becky, Lisa, and ~~( '> for the information!!!

Old Jun 30 2007, 12:05 AM   #21
Becky
Coelura

Half Price stores are not everywhere, but where they are they tend to have a lot of them. The one in Seattle by University of WA is huge, two stories tall and then one by where I used to live was small, but packed a lot into it. (imagine a Hallmark store, about that size) They are good for finding nice used hardcover first editions at affordable prices. So be on the lookout for new ones in your area of the US.
Old Jun 30 2007, 11:45 AM   #22
L'isa

Yes, in my area, there are at least 6 that I know of. They seem to put one on every quadrant of the city. I once had a friend that worked at one, and he would find books that I was looking for and put them back for me. But, alas, he does not work there now. Shame.
Old Jun 30 2007, 01:37 PM   #23
Cheryl
Master Archivist

None near me, which explains why I've never heard of them. Find if there's one near you here: http://www.halfpricebooks.com/find_a_store.html
Old Jun 30 2007, 05:17 PM   #24
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

It seems that all the ones in California, are up in Northern California....sigh!!! Well maybe some day they will eke closer down the map towards our direction, until then we will have to make do with all the used book stores and faires in our area!!!

Old Aug 3 2007, 07:09 PM   #25
L'isa

Wow, I came back to check out this highlight. I bought this on ebay last week. It is the rust colored one. It was not mentioned on the ad. I paid 3.99 for it.
Old Aug 3 2007, 08:42 PM   #26
Cheryl
Master Archivist

A first edition/first printing for 3.99? Awesome Lisa, well found!
Old Aug 3 2007, 10:26 PM   #27
L'isa

Yes!! I couldn't believe it.
Old Aug 3 2007, 11:57 PM   #28
Becky
Coelura

That's a fantastic deal, L'isa! Congrats on the find! Super shopping!
Old Aug 4 2007, 02:31 AM   #29
Hans
Master Archivist

A great deal indeed; proves again they can be had

Congrats!

Old Oct 19 2007, 07:16 PM   #30
Bookjunkie
Loo Cow

Fan of: All the Weyrs of Pern
Now Reading: Dragon Harper

After reading this archive info. on the Dragondrums book I had to go and check my copy. To my delight I have the first variant 1st/1st in near mint condition.
Bookjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19 2007, 07:47 PM   #31
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Congrats!