A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Exhibit Hall
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exhibit Hall For the exhibition of artistic creations by our members, from poetry and prose to drawings, photography, and digital art.

Old May 20 2007, 11:08 AM   #1
sjslack
Inactive

Fan of: Pern
Now Reading: as usual
Default Harper Marks

As most of you probably know, I've been trying to make some Marks just recently, and ended up failing miserably, after realising the technique was wrong.

Below is my first attempt at Pyrographing the whole hing...I know it looks very, very, very rough at the momen...thtat's because it is. Basically, I just need a hefty bit of practice, and it should become very neat and precise. Just thought I'd show you all my 'first draft', as it were.

NOTE: Feedback wanted! xD

((I know this looks like a backwards 'S' and not a 2...but I was concentrating more on not burning myself with the pyographer,
sjslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2007, 01:04 PM   #2
Brenda

Default Re: Harper Marks

Interesting! Although I always thought the marks were stamped with some kind of ink - maybe there's some kind of carved stamp?

Don't let me stop you from refining your efforts, though! I'd like to see the finished product!
Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2007, 01:31 PM   #3
sjslack
Inactive

-Nods- I've reead in DLG that they used Dyes and whatnot, but unfortunately I've tried my best to get an ink that won't bleed into the wood, and thus far I've been unsuccessful. That added to the fact that I've no means to make a stamp for the wood. (I tried carving one out of lime wood and now have a small scar on my left thumb).
Old May 20 2007, 01:49 PM   #4
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Sarah, They look great...my only comment would be that they need a bit of grundge to stain them...they look too new..and a bit of light stain would make the character that you have carved into them look darker. Perhaps a few lines inside the harp would be better too.

I WANT ONE or maybe two or three would be lovely ....Maybe if you could bring me a couple when we meet in Denmark... I will see what I can find to trade you for them...or just pay you for them...you can let me know?

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2007, 02:23 PM   #5
sjslack
Inactive

I'm going to be hopefully finding something to make the lood lighter, possbly a lime stain or something, which would make them almost white. (Which would correlate to the books). And the wax them so they can be handled alright.

Unfortunately, the picture isn't very good but have done lnes down the harp. I'm hoping to do an assortment and bring them to Copenhagen in a little belt-pouch or something...^^

-Chuckles- Anyone have any preferences to any sort of craft-symbols they'd like to see?
Old May 20 2007, 04:16 PM   #6
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!

Well, for a first try (?) they look absolutely great!

You do need to make the harp sides more bent but this looks very, very promising

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2007, 07:29 PM   #7
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

Fan of: The Ship Who Searched
Now Reading: The Calhoun Collection, Nora Roberts

Well it looks pretty nice to me. Don't think they have to be perfect.

Akhenaton? (c. B.C. 1375)
Egyptian King and Monotheist

Greenrider Tresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2007, 09:14 PM   #8
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

You're off to a great start, I'd definitely like a few! Harper and smithcraft marks would be my preference, they have the best reputations to back them. No Bitran marks please!
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2007, 11:36 PM   #9
Gwina
Talent Telempath-Healer

Fan of: white dragon, tower/hive
Now Reading: Insurgent, The Last Apprentice, Damia (again)

That's pretty amazing! I've tried the burner stick and it's so difficult to get a curve of any kind! Way to go! Looks very promising..I would love to see more too!
"Whatever zapped me seems to have burned off the outlived dross and stupidities any human collects along the way. I don't mind being two hundred and fifteen years old. In fact, it's fun, in a bizarre fashion."
Gwina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2007, 06:29 PM   #10
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Harper Hall, Healer Hall, Beast Hall..etc...anything you like. Like I said I think they are looking great...and the more you do the better you'll get.

White, and waxed...hmmm your probably correct...its just in my minds eye I see them kind of grungy from all the handling and wear.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old May 22 2007, 12:54 PM   #11
sjslack
Inactive

Lady M - Well, I could always experiment a little with the finishes and post 'em on here...see what people think / want.

Either that, or I could do them as new, then when people get them, they could always scruff them up themselves...
Old May 22 2007, 03:46 PM   #12
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

Sarah: For consistancy, would it be feasible to get a pattern cut in, say sheet brass? Then you could wield your hot tool through the slots and each one would be almost the same.

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2007, 04:41 PM   #13
sjslack
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by P'ter View Post
Sarah: For consistancy, would it be feasible to get a pattern cut in, say sheet brass? Then you could wield your hot tool through the slots and each one would be almost the same.
I could try it, certainly...I'll see if my grandfather knows anyone who could do that for me. -Ponders-

Let me think...Harper, Smith...and Weavers guilds?

I'll stick to three sorts to begin with, then when I get more adept at it...-Shrugs-
Old May 23 2007, 06:42 PM   #14
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

WOW!! Peter, that is an excellent idea for Sarah to try...they would indeed be exactly the same as long as the tip of your wood burner is small enough to follow the cut-outs of the patteren to make marks on the wood. Well worth a try if it isn't to expencive!!

Old May 27 2007, 07:23 AM   #15
c_ris
Journeyman Harper Roedin
Wing Second

Fan of: the Dragonriders of Pern!
Now Reading: The Elder Gods - Eddings

Beautiful!

"When a harper is silenced, all men should listen harder." AtWoP
c_ris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2007, 11:10 AM   #16
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

Just remember that metal conducts heat very well. Only handle the pattern with appropriate protection!

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2007, 11:23 AM   #17
FlameCat
Dragonrider
Candidate

Now Reading: Grimm's Fairy Tales

you know the gold coloured sovenir coins you can get from places? - when i was little and kids pretended to be harry potter, my vidid imagination and I pretended they were the big gold currency, galleons....
FlameCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2007, 11:24 AM   #18
J'han
Inactive

Fan of: Pern. Robinton. Volly.
Now Reading: Crystal Singer

I always envisioned them as small rectangles of a sort... But then, I am tired... Looks great!
J'han is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2007, 11:24 AM   #19
FlameCat
Dragonrider
Candidate

Now Reading: Grimm's Fairy Tales

would love some marks!!! They're a FAB idea!
FlameCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29 2007, 05:22 PM   #20
sjslack
Inactive

I've not updated this for absolutely ages, purely because I've been busy with University prep and whatnot.

I found myself having a lot of problems getting the symbols not only consistant, but also more in the centre of the mark each time. It took me -weeks- and many failed attempts to come up with a solution. Typically, the solution for a stencil-type was very simple in the end...but it took me long enough to come up with. -Chuckles-

I've spent most of today working on the marks, and I've now finished cutting out all of the stencils...here they all are. (I decided to do one for the actual Symbol, and one for each of the Denominations).

-----

I've now pyrographed all 25 or so marks with the Harper symbol, and to prove decent-ish consistancy, here are 3 of them...

-----

I still have to pyrograph the ring around each one. What you see there are 'dints' I've put on them. More to guide my pyographer than anything else. (Drawing circles freehand on a small surface with a scorching hot piece of metal is a no-no.)

QUESTION: For those of you going to EuroCon this year, if anyone would like some, they are going to cost £1 each. This may seem a little too much for a piece of round, burnt wood...But this is the process I have to do for every individual one:

1) Turn the coins from the wood and cut them off (Using a lathe)
2) Dent the lines for the two circles
3) Stencil on both sides
4) Pyrograph both sides
5) Rub out any remaining pencil lines
6) Sand to very fine rounded corners
7) Wax

Each mark will take about about 45 minutes to an hour on average to do.

Anyway...If anyone /does/ want me to bring any to Copenhagen, it'll help if you post below what denominations you would like, so I take enough of each.

(These are Harper Marks...but /eventually/ I'm hoping to do some for the other Crafts pending being able to do the stencils for them.)
Old Aug 29 2007, 05:55 PM   #21
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Hmm. I'd like a 2 mark piece and a 1/4 mark piece I think.
Old Aug 29 2007, 08:14 PM   #22
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

YES, YES, Ooooo me to how about a 32nd one and a 1/4 one too...that would show a bit of difference.
It is amazing to see how you solved your uniformity problems. Stencils are a great way to go about it with little cost to you. It's a shame that they take so long to make...but they look great in the finished work.

Old Aug 31 2007, 11:02 AM   #23
sjslack
Inactive

After many nicks with a scalpel, and pulling out of my hair because some of the designs are still eluding me...(Healercraft for example...but I am determined to get /something/ done for that...)...I've come up with stencils for a few more different Marks.
  • SmithCraft
  • MinerCraft
  • DolphinCraft
  • StarSmith
  • TannerCraft

My Camera has decided to go on holiday without telling me /where/, so I'll put up pictures when I can. As I say, I'm working to get the -full -set of stencils for this, but some are still eluding me. I think Healer is going to be one of the hardest to try and get done, but I'll keep pondering in any case...I like a good challenge.
Old Aug 31 2007, 01:29 PM   #24
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Good luck with finding your camera your going to need it soon too in Denmark!!! I also hope that you can get all your stencils to work they way you want them too!!! I will be waiting to see what you end up with.

Old Aug 31 2007, 05:40 PM   #25
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Well, if you're going to have the new craft marks available, then I might have to change my order...

Still a Harper 2 Mark (so I can feel like Menolly at the Gather)
But now a Smith 1/2 Mark to go with it.
Old Aug 31 2007, 05:48 PM   #26
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Sara, I would also love to add a starsmith one two if you make any.

Old Aug 31 2007, 06:04 PM   #27
sjslack
Inactive

Alrighty, as another update...I've been working on the stencils and marks and whatnot again today...and these are all the stencils I have been able to do.

(I'm /still/ looking for a way to do healer marks...I will get there eventually!)
  • Harper
  • SmithCraft
  • MinerCraft
  • DolphinCraft
  • StarSmith
  • TannerCraft
  • WoodCraft (I had to do those ones really, what with me being a WoodCraft Apprentice and whatnot)
  • FisherCraft
  • WeaverCraft

I need to make myself more blanks so I can do one or two from other crafts before EuroCon. Just as a note, I'll get the other marks that people want made...But just to let you all know, that if on the day they don't seem to you to be as good as you had thought/hoped, you certainly don't need to buy them. Because they're all hand-done, some will obviously turn out better than others, so they shall all be sold on an 'as seen' basis.

I'll just make sure I have the correct ones there.
Old Aug 31 2007, 10:21 PM   #28
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Do you know yet what you are going to charge for them??? And what kind of money do you want to be paid in???

Old Sep 1 2007, 09:31 AM   #29
sjslack
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Maelin View Post
Do you know yet what you are going to charge for them??? And what kind of money do you want to be paid in???
They'll be £1 each, regardless of denomination or type. I think that's more than fair for the amount of work I've put into each individual one...The money-type doesn't matter so long as it's equivilant to the amount stated. -Chuckles-
Old Sep 5 2007, 04:07 PM   #30
sjslack
Inactive

I have completely finished about five of the Marks now. (The rest to follow) We had a bit of a drama on the Mark-Blank front. My granfather offered to make me a few whilst he was at work, and he came back with some Idigbo. (Basically a hard-wood, fantastic for pyrographing on...but too dark for this particular project).

So I panicked a little, since to do the non-harper marks. (Smith and Starcraft, I believe it was), I needed new blanks. -Thankfully- my grandfather is one of the nicest guys on the planet, and churned out another 13 blanks for me today. They'll at least cover all the extra bits that people have said they want.

Eventually, I'm going to make myself an entire set of each mark...just because I like the challenge. -Chuckles- (Granted, it means that I'm somehow going to have to figure out the healer-mark predicament....but I'm sure the answer lies in greaseproof paper...somehow.

Here are the finished stencils.

And here are the two finished Harper-Marks. Now with the 'ring' burned around the outside of them.

I've also done the back, as you can see...

And the 2 actually looks like a 2 and not a backward s! W0ot!
-Ahem-
Old Sep 5 2007, 05:10 PM   #31
Greenrider Tresa
The Contrary
Planetary Brain

Fan of: The Ship Who Searched
Now Reading: The Calhoun Collection, Nora Roberts

That's some nice work, Sara!

Akhenaton? (c. B.C. 1375)
Egyptian King and Monotheist

Greenrider Tresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5 2007, 05:13 PM   #32
sjslack
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenrider Tresa View Post
That's some nice work, Sara!
-Chuckles- Thanks. I know the stencils don't seem like much, but it took me an absolute age to figure out how to get the symbol in the middle of the mark.

I'd say the circular edging is the hardest and trickiest part...and I have a new scar on my left hand to prove it. ^^;
Old Sep 5 2007, 05:28 PM   #33
Hans
Master Archivist

They look great!

Can't wait to get my greedy hands on some marks!

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6 2007, 08:49 PM   #34
Brenda

Quote:
Basically a hard-wood, fantastic for pyrographing on...but too dark for this particular project...
Why? Couldn't you just call them skybroom wood?
Old Sep 7 2007, 08:35 AM   #35
sjslack
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda View Post
Why? Couldn't you just call them skybroom wood?
I was seriously thinking about that, but I recall something in one of the books mentioning that the Marks were light in colour - thus the fact I'm now using pine.

Note: If anyone ever wants to do pyography...don't do it on pine. The wood is absolutely awful for it. Too many rings and knots. >.<
Old Sep 7 2007, 12:12 PM   #36
Brenda

Is there another option? Oak or some other light wood, rather than pine? (Sorry, don't know much about wood - more about trees than wood!)
Old Sep 7 2007, 12:22 PM   #37
sjslack
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda View Post
Is there another option? Oak or some other light wood, rather than pine? (Sorry, don't know much about wood - more about trees than wood!)
Pine is the easiest for me to get ahold of you see, and I've done over 30 symbols on it already. It's just an annoyance having to always compensate for whichever way the grain is running.
Old Sep 7 2007, 12:23 PM   #38
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Sara, these look marvelous.. thank you for all your hard work on our behalf. I'm eagerly looking forward to adding a few of your lovely marks to my collection.

Old Sep 12 2007, 01:19 PM   #39
sjslack
Inactive

Don't worry...this will be my last post on this thread unless anyone decides to ask me any questions.

Up until now you've only seen my stencils, and Harper Marks. Now, I've done one or two marks for each of the other stencils I managed to come up wih, and I decided to post the final picure on here to allow you all to see the result of the other pyrographing I've had to do.

(I spent 4 hours on these things alone yesterday...And I am now happy to say that I have completed all the marks I started.)

Old Sep 12 2007, 09:15 PM   #40
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Sara. these are marvelous looking...I can't wait to hold mine, I even have a little Harper blue velvet bag to put them in when I get them home...YIPEE!!