A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room > Collecting Highlights Archives

Collecting Highlights Archives Past issues of the Collecting Highlights column for Anne McCaffrey Fans. Posts are open for reply, so feel free to add a comment about what you own or would like to!

Old Apr 30 2007, 10:18 PM   #1
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)
Gold Collecting Highlight (39) - Russian black filigree Pern hardcovers

Apologies to all for missing my last several collecting highlights. I will be catching up on all the ones I missed in the next two months, filling in the CH numbers that were skipped over.
------------------------------------------------------------------

The Pern series has been published in multiple editions in Russia through the years, as they seem to like updating cover designs. This highlight covers editions published starting in 2005, with what I call the "black filigree" covers. The covers/binding are beautifully done, with that leafy filigree design you can see being highly reflective while the rest is matte black. In this highlight and the next several, I'll be profiling the full set of Russian black filigree Pern hardcovers.

Thanks to a soon-to-be sister-in-law, I have a set of four of the books in this series.

The publisher of these books is Eksmo (or "Эксмо" in Russian), in Moscow, Russia. Each book was done in a limited print run, but I wouldn't term them "limited editions" because the runs were in the thousands. I strongly suspect that the reason the number of books printed for each is known is that that is what the publishing contract specified. And I would further speculate that each time Anne's Russian publisher contracted to print a new run that a new cover design was created.

I've seen it stated that these books were printed on special high quality paper but I would question that. The copies I own have thin greyed paper -- like newsprint or recycled paper. It's possible that it is of good quality and will hold up over time, but it feels and looks like lower quality paper to me.

Now if, like me, you can't read Russian, you might be wondering which books these are. The pictures on them are a clue, but they don't tell the whole story as many of these books comprise multiple volumes, and they can be completely misleading at times(e.g. The White Dragon features artwork from the US All the Weyrs of Pern, while the US White Dragon artwork is found on the Russian Chronicles of Pern). Luckily, foreign editions always indicate the original book on the copyright page, clearly written in our standard Roman alphabet rather than in Cyrillic.

Two more notes before I get into the individual book details: "Энн Маккефри" is Anne McCaffrey in Russian, and "Хроники Перна" is what they've called the series, or Pern Chronicles.

Dragonflight and Dragonquest (Полет дракона. Странствия дракона), published in 2005 in a run of 5100 copies, 704 pages, ISBN 5-699-09503-9. Cover art taken from US Dragonquest artwork by Michael Whelan. Translastion by M. Nakhmanson and Y. Barabash; I. Andronati, translated the poetry/verse.

The Harperhall Trilogy (Песнь Перна. Трилогия), published in 2005 in a run of 5100 copies, 704 pages, ISBN 5-699-09810-0. Cover art from US Dragonsong cover by Rowena. Translastion by T. Naumenko; I. Andronati, translated the poetry/verse.

Moreta and Nerilka's Story (Древний Перн. Дилогия), published in 2005 in a run of 5100 copies, 480 pages, ISBN 5-699-09502-0. Cover art from US Moreta by Michael Whelan. Translastion by M. Bertenev and M. Nakhmanson; I. Andronati, translated the poetry/verse.

Dragonsdawn (Заря драконов), published in 2005 in a run of 5100 copies, 480 pages, ISBN 5-699-09175-0. Cover art from US Dragonsdawn by Michael Whelan. Translastion by M. Bertenev; I. Andronati, translated the poetry/verse.

The new prices for these books is on the order of 120-160 rubles (roughly $4.50-$6 US). They aren't easy to find from English-speaking sellers. Currently there is one eBay seller that has some of the books for around $11 each. Search for "Russian McCaffrey" to turn them up.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.

Last edited by Cheryl; May 9 2007 at 04:24 PM. Reason: translators added
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30 2007, 11:33 PM   #2
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too
Default Re: Collecting Highlight (39) - Russian black filigree Pern hardcovers

Cheryl, these are beautiful books! Thank you for posting about them!
I've seen them offered on eBay and almost bid on them a couple of times. But I'm not into other types of editions so have passed on them. I might have to break down tho based on what I'm seeing here.
Old May 1 2007, 02:51 AM   #3
Hans
Master Archivist

Special and attractive cover design these books have. I noticed the Russian favour the hardback illustration type, I mean: the art is on the coardboard cover and the books don't have dustjackets; which was also the case with the previous edition/cover art.

Nice to see them collected and collated in a series of highlights!

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2007, 11:17 PM   #4
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Like I said in the other thread, these are lovely books. I wish I had the room for them...and if the Ship Who Sang came in one of these types of books, I would be hunting for one of them today.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2007, 08:10 AM   #5
Cheryl
Master Archivist

They haven't done the Ship books in this style, but they could someday. They are doing the Acorna series, and just started Freedom in this style.
Old May 2 2007, 09:48 AM   #6
Becky
Coelura

Hmmmm, I'm getting closer and closer to having to purchasing these books.
Old May 2 2007, 10:29 AM   #7
Hans
Master Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post
Hmmmm, I'm getting closer and closer to having to purchasing these books.
We'll make an international edition collector of you

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old May 2 2007, 01:43 PM   #8
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Becky, if you can hold back a bit, I'm going to have my sis-in-law help me decipher a Russian site soon where they maybe can be bought and shipped to the US, for cheaper than that eBay dealer. But it may be a few weeks before we do that.
Old May 2 2007, 03:44 PM   #9
Hans
Master Archivist

I was afraid to ask or propose something along that line; but that is good news, Cheryl!

Old May 3 2007, 12:03 AM   #10
Becky
Coelura

The thought had crossed my mind that Cheryl could possibly have a connection to copies of these. I am so very glad to hear that they'll be offered! (I hope, I hope!)
Old May 9 2007, 04:25 PM   #11
Cheryl
Master Archivist

I've added the translators names to all. My sis-in-law says they weren't necessarily new translations, despite the date listed by their names.