A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room

Book Collector's Meeting Room Whether you're an experienced collector or just starting out, this is the place to discuss Anne's books in all their various bindings, languages, and cover art.

Old Jan 16 2007, 11:04 PM   #1
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too
Default How to get the smell out of your books

I turned on the tv after my evening workout and it was on a collecting channel that I had been watching last nite. Lo and behold! There was a book collecting show on!!! It was the top 20 book collecting tips. Mostly there were tips for collecting Hemmingway and Steinbeck types of books, but there were a few general book collecting tips and when I heard that the number 4 tip was how to get smell out of books I was glue to the set!!

****You will need two plastic tubs and some kitty litter. Yes, I said kitty litter! You put about an inch of litter into a large-ish tub that has a lid that snaps on. You then put the book, just lay it closed, in the smaller tub. Do not put a lid on the smaller tub that holds the book. Put the small tub inside the larger tub, just sitting it on top of the litter. Put the lid on the larger tub and let sit for about a month.****

So I plan on doing just that! I've got a few books that could use some of this type of treatment. Not many, thank goodness.

ALSO - another tip was to use any gentle leather conditioner, like you would use on a leather purse or jacket, on your leather books. And, surprisingly, to HANDLE your leather books. The oils in your hands help condition the leather too. Oh, once a year use the leather conditioner on your books, a light coat rubbed in.
Old Jan 16 2007, 11:45 PM   #2
SuzyQ
Ssli

Fan of: Talents
Now Reading: Need more time!
Default Re: How to get the smell out of your books

You learn some of the neatest stuff! I might have to give that a try as well. (you know the story - bought a book online, it arrived and it reeked of smoke - as a non-smoker that is the worst!) It does make a lot of sense though...
Old Jan 17 2007, 01:39 AM   #3
Becky
Coelura

SuzyQ - there have been some chat about how to get smell out of books, but no one had any really safe ideas. I'm soooo glad I caught this episode.

Oh, and I forgot the had a bag of Fresh Step litter. So that's the one I'll be buying!
Old Jan 17 2007, 06:04 AM   #4
makenzie71
Eskay

Fan of: Ruth...
Now Reading: Writing The Fall of the Order

...or you can dust the book with baking soda and blow it out...or do what I do and take care of the books to begin with.

(yes I'm an ass)

Last edited by makenzie71; Jan 17 2007 at 06:05 AM. Reason: I am not a cynic, I am an ass...according to Webster.
makenzie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17 2007, 07:41 AM   #5
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

yep but if you buy a book second hand you can't guarante it to be smoke free- I check if I'm in a book shop but no-one's invented a way to sniff over the internet yet!
I just leave my books to desmell!
Old Jan 17 2007, 09:52 AM   #6
Becky
Coelura

I've got a couple of books that no matter how long I've let them stand to air they still smell of smoke. So this trick will hopefully help to finally get rid of that smell once and for all. (fingers crossed)
Old Jan 17 2007, 10:13 AM   #7
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Moreta

Just make sure the cat doesn't find it...
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17 2007, 11:31 AM   #8
Anareth
Journeywoman Healer

Fan of: Pern, Ship Series
Now Reading: Girl Genius (read it!)

I would, instead of kitty litter (because of the silica dust) suggest, really--just do the same thing only with a big box of store-brand baking soda. That's what a lot of litters use anyway, it's cheaper, and it really does get smells out of ANYTHING. I used about two cups' worth to get the stench out of a fridge unit that had failed and risen to 80 degrees F over night, with raw meat in it. (No, it was not pretty. But the baking soda turned the trick.)
Anareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17 2007, 03:09 PM   #9
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Anareth, that's a great idea with the baking soda. I can't use the litter because of the dust in it...but I always have tons of baking soda around for cleaning purposes. I will try a combination of both your baking soda trick and Becky's trays to get the smoke smell out of my recent purchases.

Thanks to Becky and Anareth for the suggestions.... for both of you

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19 2007, 04:44 PM   #10
Brenda

I would definitely try the technique of putting the baking soda/kitty litter in a tray and having the book in a container in the tray with a lid on the big tray, before you start filling the book itself with baking soda!
Brenda is nu online   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19 2007, 11:16 PM   #11
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Brenda, I don't think it's a very good idea to put the baking soda on the pages of the book you could damage the pages that way. I think you just want the book above the baking soda in it's own container inside a larger container, so the book isn't touching it.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old Jan 20 2007, 06:39 AM   #12
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

what about on of those fridge eggs- they contain charcoal I think but they're self contained si you stick it in a tupperware box with the book!
Old Jan 20 2007, 08:42 AM   #13
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

I would think anything with good odor absorbing qualities that doesn't need to be in contact with the book has good potential with the tub method.
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20 2007, 07:32 PM   #14
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Cheryl, Yes I certainly agree... for me the baking soda is a good bet, because it has no dust for me to deal with.

Old Jan 21 2007, 04:35 PM   #15
Brenda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Maelin View Post
Brenda, I don't think it's a very good idea to put the baking soda on the pages of the book you could damage the pages that way. I think you just want the book above the baking soda in it's own container inside a larger container, so the book isn't touching it.
I know, that's what I said!
Quote:
I would definitely try the technique of putting the baking soda/kitty litter in a tray and having the book in a container in the tray with a lid on the big tray...
Quote:
...before you start filling the book itself with baking soda!
I was responding to mackenzie!
Quote:
...or you can dust the book with baking soda and blow it out...
Old Jan 21 2007, 06:54 PM   #16
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Brenda, Sorry I misunderstood you.

Old Jan 27 2007, 05:50 PM   #17
Brenda

No big deal
Old Feb 4 2007, 10:03 PM   #18
Becky
Coelura

I finally got a couple of plastic boxes and some baking soda (rather than the cat litter) and have put two books and two sf magazines in to be de-smellified. Early March I'll remove them and let you all know if they are smell free. I sure hope this works because I've got several magazines and a few books that could use this treatment.