A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room > Collecting Highlights Archives

Collecting Highlights Archives Past issues of the Collecting Highlights column for Anne McCaffrey Fans. Posts are open for reply, so feel free to add a comment about what you own or would like to!

Old Jan 13 2007, 02:18 PM   #1
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default Collecting Highlight (40) - Two French 1st ed. hc's Vol du Dragon and Quête du Dragon

In my honest opinion the first two Pern hardcovers in the French language are wonderful collectors items. These were Dragonflight and Dragonquest, published as Le vol du dragon and La quête du dragon by a French bookclub called Club du livre d’anticipation, most often called CLA. The actual books were published by Editions Opta.

Le vol du dragon is bound in light blue cloth (Hargreaves calls it sky blue) and was published in 1971. The club apparently send their members a letter announcing the book as their 36th publication. It had a subscription price of 35 French francs (39 francs after 24 January 1972).
In this first volume a host “bibliographie” of Anne McCaffrey is found on pages ix-x which is accompanied by a black and white picture of Anne (on page VIII).
La quête du dragon, that was published a year later, in 1972, and has a purple cover.

Both books were translated by Simone Hilling, who would translate many another Pern book in years to come. They both have artwork by a famous French artist in that field by the name of Raymond Bertrand. The endpapers (front and back) in both books have his artwork and they each also have a one page interior illustration. The illustrations are in duotone (two colours). Both books also have a map op Pern.
Both books have a comet wit tail (Hargreaves calls it a fireball) stamped in gold on the front cover (this is the case with all CLA’s/editions Opta books in this series) and the name of the author, the title, a line and the name “cla” stamped in gold on the spine.
The books both have boudn in cloth ribbon that can serve as a place marker; it is blue for “Vol” and yellow for “Quete”.
Hargreaves also mentions they were issued in a clear acetate duscover. Both my copies are without but I know that Cheryl’s copies both still had these on them.
The books are numbered (by a stamping machine) and the next to last page.

What makes these books even more special is the fact that they both are limited editions. Hargreaves quotes 6,000 copies per title but while doing research on French sites I discovered there were actually 6,100 made of each title. The extra hundred were meant for personnel and to generally give away to relations of any kind.

The books are offered regularly on eBay; more often on French eBay than internationally. Prices usually range from 25-40 euro’s ($32-52) excl. postage and handling.

Do ask any French seller first for the postage and handling as they usually only list postage for their own country. I was ripped off once for a copy of “Le vol du dragon” which I got cheap in auction… I think too cheap as far as the seller was concerned. I never received the book! It now is my only negative feedback because I naturally gave him negative feedback myself; that rankles because he did receive my money and confirmed that, so essentially I should receive positive feedback!
So I am warning you not to buy from a French eBay seller called: collectionlivresanciens, also known as collectionlivresancien, rigness and lektarethcom4 (<<< spiders, please pick up on this). YES, he changed his ebay account four times; probably to get rid of negative feedback!
Sorry for this mini rant but if I can name this #$@%^& in context I won’t hesiatte to do so (I’m a vindictive little buyer).

Enjoy the collecting highlight!

Front covers of both books, left "Vol", right "Quête"

Illustrated endpapers of Le vol du dragon

And the interior illustration (Lessa?)

The letter that was sent to the bookclub members so they could subscribe to Le vol du dragon

The picture of Anne, by Jacques Guiod, that accompanies the bibliography in Le vol du dragon

The map of Pern that appears in both books

The illustrated endpapers of La Quête de dragon

And the interior illustration (Kylara?)

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13 2007, 05:34 PM   #2
~(_'>

Default Re: Collecting Highlight (40) - Two French 1st ed. hc's Vol du Dragon and Quête du Dragon

Ok, those pictures are really cool.
~(_'> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14 2007, 09:41 PM   #3
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too
Default Re: Collecting Highlight (40) - Two French 1st ed. hc's Vol du Dragon and Quête du Dragon

Oh, nice Hans! Thank you! I've never seen these before, tho seen them for auction.
I'm kind of surprised by the small dragonet in the Quest. If that is supposed to grow into a full sized dragon, that's some major growth it has to do! Kind of hard to tell who the girl in the Quest is, could be Kylara. Interesting drawings tho.
Old Jan 15 2007, 04:27 AM   #4
Hans
Master Archivist

Becky, if it is meant to be Kylara it could also be a firelizard; or could it be a sexy Brekke impressing Berd?

That been said I must say that the French often have cover art that has no obvious connection to the book... although I have the feeling that isn't the case here.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15 2007, 09:54 AM   #5
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too

I'd go with Brekke and Berd over Kylara. There's too much love for the firelizard for it to be Kylara.
Old Jan 15 2007, 03:48 PM   #6
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Hans, This Highlight is fantastic.. . I love getting to see what the foreign books of Anne's look like.
At least on this one it seems that artist must have actually read the books he really does seems to know what is going on in the stories. It looks to me like the artist might have even like the stories to have put this much feeling into their work.
The art work from both of the books is beautiful. I love the art work no matter who it's suppose to be with the firelizard.
Thanks for all the lovely photos, at least now I know where the photo of Anne belongs. I have had it for quite a while but have never known what occasion it was used for.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15 2007, 05:11 PM   #7
Sandi

Those are beautiful treasures, Hans! I agree that the artwork shows a lot more "feeling" than is sometimes seen in book illustrations. My first thought for the girl with the firelizard was Mirrim. Whoever it is, it's a touching picture.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17 2007, 03:00 PM   #8
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Sandi, Mirrim thats good...yes it does look like it could be her. I do know is that it is a beautiful drawing, that shows lovely moment between the girl and her firlizard.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Old Jan 20 2007, 08:44 AM   #9
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

I was thinking Mirrim as well, though she's a minor character so that would be odd. Brekke would seem the most logical choice.

Beautiful highlight of beautiful books!
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20 2007, 07:36 PM   #10
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Brekke does seem to be the more likely choice... as she only had the one Firelizard(Berd)..unlike Mirrim who had three.

Old Jan 26 2007, 06:49 AM   #11
Kath
Starsmith

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Moreta

Brekke, I think. She's described (by Kylara) as dish-faced and as having a fairly boyish figure. Okay, so illustrators rarely manage to match the textual descriptions, but I don't think this is too far off from them in this case.
Kath is offline   Reply With Quote