A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room > Collecting Highlights Archives

Collecting Highlights Archives Past issues of the Collecting Highlights column for Anne McCaffrey Fans. Posts are open for reply, so feel free to add a comment about what you own or would like to!

Old Jan 7 2007, 03:18 PM   #1
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default Collecting Highlight (36) - collectible Todd's and ends

Not so long ago I was ordering backissues of the magazine Albedo One. On their website you can also search and naturally I did a search for McCaffrey to be sure I didn't miss anything.

To my surprise an issue turned up about which I didn't know it had anything in it by or about Anne. Well, it didn't It contained a story by a certain Todd McCaffrey!

We are talking about Albedo one (also found as Albedio1) issue #16 (Dublin, Ireland, 1998), so it must be one of the very first, maybe even THE first publication Todd did under the McCaffrey name, seeing as that Dragonholder dates from 1999 and earlier publications were under the name of Todd Johnson. I went and checked Todd's site and his list of publications and what do you know... he doesn't even list it in his own bibliography! Strange what? Maybe he isn't proud of it or just plainly forgot (hmm, that rings a bell... ).

It's a real short story (only three pages, 32-34); sort of a crime SF with an attempt at comedy. It's essentially a confession of a guy who shoots his car (the car is a she and has artificial intelligence and starts to argue with the owner because she's overdue for maintenance, and the gun involved is also equipped with AI).

The story ends with this:

"Todd J. McCaffrey
Todd J. McCaffrey used to be known as Todd Johnson - in fact it was his name. Then he got married and changed his name. His wife's name isn't McCaffrey either. Naturally. However, his mother's is. Confused? Aren't we all?"

For fans of Todd McCaffrey I think this particular short tory will have collectors value because there won't be that many copies of Albedo made and without proof to the contrary I am assuming that this is his very first publication under the name of Todd McCaffrey.

Cover of the magazine

First page of the story

If you are interested in Albedo one (or ordering back issues), go here: http://www.albedo1.com/

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.

Last edited by Hans; Jan 9 2007 at 11:04 AM.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9 2007, 02:42 AM   #2
Hans
Master Archivist

Default Re: Collecting Highlight (36) - collectible Todd's and ends

btw, this CH is a little "out of sync" because Cheryl graciously gave me #36, which she had to forgo on the count of not having a chance to fill it.

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Old Jan 9 2007, 10:07 AM   #3
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too

Cool Highlight Hans! Funny too! I've sent my request in to order a copy already. I just want to see that bit about his name change.
Old Jan 9 2007, 03:46 PM   #4
P'ter
Crafter

Craftmaster

Fan of: Favorite?
Now Reading: avidly

Volume #10 lists Anne McCaffrey as a contributor!

"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."
C. S. Lewis

"I find television very educational. Whenever somebody switches it on I go in the other room and read a book." (attributed to Groucho Marx)

The Pedants are revolting! (against bad grammar)
P'ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9 2007, 04:18 PM   #5
Hans
Master Archivist

Yes, that has the short story "The Orange Cat" in it; which isn't published anywhere else that we know of

Old Jan 9 2007, 07:40 PM   #6
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Hans, This is a wonderful Highlight, I love reading about the odd-ball old magizines that are out there with some of Anne's stories in them. Reading about Todd was very interesting...I will be looking forward to other magazines Highlights hopefully in the future.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9 2007, 10:56 PM   #7
jube
Dolphineer Journeywoman

Fan of: Dragons of Pern
Now Reading: Puzzles and my thesaurus!

Curious'er and curious'er said the cat in Alice in Wonderland, me-thinks that odd tidbits are still waiting for us, with finds like this.
jube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10 2007, 12:49 PM   #8
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Jube, Yes!!! Knowing the collectors that are here on MoM I would dare say that you are probably right...there will undoubtedly be more goodies to see.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote