A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room > Collecting Highlights Archives

Collecting Highlights Archives Past issues of the Collecting Highlights column for Anne McCaffrey Fans. Posts are open for reply, so feel free to add a comment about what you own or would like to!

Old Sep 17 2006, 02:18 PM   #1
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default Collecting Highlight (29) - Ship Who Searched promotional cap

I'm awful late with my collecting highlight and I hope you'll forgive me for it. I'm so incredibly busy these days, professionally as well as private, I need at least 48 hours in the day to get my stuff done (let alone done in time).

Time shortage did make me think: I need an attractive collectors highlight but... an easy one. And you know, I just thought of an item which is exactly the thing I needed: nice, rare and almost unknown so that I can't come up with a single internet reference to it and something for which estimates on what it is worth (because I have absolutely no comparable material) are pure guesswork.

Hey, I hear you say, you must either have found it somewhere or seen and handled it if you are able to post a picture! Well, yes, I have but that was in the holy of holiest only Yep, Anne's office; where there were lying a few on top of a topmost shelf with books.

I know we covered several promotional items for this particular book in other threads: The Ship Who Searched, Anne's co-production with another favourite author of mine, Mercedes Lackey (published in 1992). The famous Ted E. Bear among them and the promotional display with poster (which I happen to own a copy of). On the flip side of this poster the promotional cap (there called a promotional hat!) is mentioned. It also gives the number that were made: 2000! (how many reached the shops and the fans?).

Well, to cut a long story short (didn't I manage to drag out this text rather well?) here is the item: a promotional cap of what I think is white cotton. Now anybody who owns one or has seen a copy of this: report!

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17 2006, 04:38 PM   #2
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too
Default Re: Collecting Highlight (29) - Ship Who Searched promotional cap

Excellent stretching of text, Hans!!!
How neat to see this! Another of those unheard of collectible items. Great item for spur of the moment scramble!
Old Sep 17 2006, 05:01 PM   #3
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

Wow, I've never heard of it either! You realize you'll have to post an image of the poster too, right?
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17 2006, 05:11 PM   #4
Hans
Master Archivist

I thought I already did in the thread about the poster (or Ted E. Bear). Ah well

Here we go...

The back, half folded

back, totally folded

front, unfolded

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17 2006, 05:46 PM   #5
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

hmm, maybe you did, or some of those views. Can you show an enlargement of the part that mentions the hats?
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20 2006, 10:33 AM   #6
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

Hans, Very good job with this Highlight, I think the Highlights are one of my most favorite parts of MoM. I love seeing all the different things that are out there having to do with Anne's writings.

@Becky...You don't have one of these well I guess it's good... this way you have something to go and look for too...LOL !!!

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20 2006, 11:03 PM   #7
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too

LOL! I'm finding that there are quite a few things I don't have, Maelin! I'm just glad there are still things for me to find.