A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum  

Go Back   A Meeting of Minds - An Anne McCaffrey Discussion Forum > The Mezzanine > Book Collector's Meeting Room > Collecting Highlights Archives

Collecting Highlights Archives Past issues of the Collecting Highlights column for Anne McCaffrey Fans. Posts are open for reply, so feel free to add a comment about what you own or would like to!

Old Jul 8 2006, 04:08 PM   #1
Hans
Master Archivist

Fan of: Pern!
Default Collecting Highlight (23) - An unknown early hc publication of Weyr Search in German

In my effort to collect everything Pern I also try to collect all possible publications of the original Pern short stories Weyr Search and Dragonrider.
On my quest for translated version of Pern short stories I recently discovered a hitherto unknown publication of Weyr Search. Actually it is one of the very early publications of Weyr Search and the very first translated publication of the story that started it all!

You could argue it is listed in Hargreaves because he lists a re-publication of it. What Hargreaves lists (49.C-v) is the Anthology Eispiloten (transl: Ice pilots, the title of one of the stories that is also used as anthology title) published by the German publisher Lichtenberg Verlag from Munich as a trade paperback in 1971 (mark that year). This book, and also the one I found, is in itself a translation of the anthology Nebula Award Stories Three, edited by famous SF author Roger Zelazny, an anthology that has been published in several different editions/states, the oldest being a Doubleday & Co. hardcover that saw the light in 1968 and was the first publication of the short story in book form (if we leave the novel Dragonflight out of the equation).

Now what I found is not a paperback but a hardcover publication of Eispiloten, not published by Lichtenberg but published by a Swiss company called Editions Rencontre, from Lausanne and published (also in 1971 although the book itself does not list the year, that I discovered in another way).
The book has the same translation of the story that the Lichtenberg book has (by Ursula Richter. The translator translated the title Weyr Search with Drachenkönigin (Dragon Queen) and on top of that the German language editor (Wolfgang Jeschke) refers to Anne McCaffrey’s romantic fairy tale…
Although it is a German language editions it is the only Swiss (!) Anne McCaffrey book I know about (in Switzerland four languages are spoken by different parts of the populace: German, French, Italian and Romansh [a very small minority]). Editions Rencontre was a small publishing house that was only active between 1950 and 1971. (more info to be had at: http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Éditions_Rencontre)

The publication year of 1971 came to light when I discovered that the story to which the book owes its title was written by Samuel R. Delany under the pseudonym Gary Wright (more info at: http://www.edition-phantasia.de/delany/biblio.htm) The stories appearing in the translated anthology are: Wolkenspiele (The Cloud-Sculptors of Coral D) by J.G. Ballard; Hübsche Maggie Moneyeyes (Pretty Maggie Moneyeyes) by Harlan Ellison; Imitatio Christi (Behold the Man) by Michael Moorcock, the earlier mentioned Eispiloten (Mirror of Ice) and of course Anne’s Weyr Search (what a great and classic set of SF writers!)

Being a very first, unlisted and not commonly know hardcover publication of Weyr Search merits to mention this otherwise unattractive and ungainly book with its rather dreary cover art as a Collectors Highlight. It is for me!
It isn’t an expensive book and it can be bought from several booksellers that list it through Abe books, prices vary according state of the book (2 US dollars and up) but if anybody wants the hardcover you’ll have to pay attention as the Lichtenberg trade paperback is much more common!

As a footnote I may add that I found it profitable to try and Google names of booksellers who list on Abe to see if they have private websites. Prices of books ordered from the booksellers direct will be far lower; well… postage will be much lower. It has come to my attention that booksellers charge high Postage and Packaging to cover the relatively high fee(s) they have to pay Abe

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9 2006, 12:00 AM   #2
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !
Default Re: Collecting Highlight (23) - An unknown early hc publication of Weyr Search in German

Hans, this is a very nice addition to your personal collection, and very fortunate that you were able to find one of these rare hardcover editions.

This was a very interesting Highlight, as it shows how many different ways a story can be published, even in another language.

I love that you have filled in one more of the many of the gaps, that Hargreaves has missed with his book.

Thank you for the heads up on going to the book vender, for the book, to be able to find what you are looking for and being able to save a little money in the shipping. Good idea you had there.

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9 2006, 09:54 PM   #3
Becky
Coelura

Fan of: Fav character - Lunzie
Now Reading: Love reading Lanen's books too
Default Re: Collecting Highlight (23) - An unknown early hc publication of Weyr Search in German

Hans, very very good highlight!! Thank you so much for this info! I probably won't collect this item, but it's neat to hear about them. It may be that Hargreaves doesn't include it because I think he had to actually SEE the items he listed in his bibliography. (oh, to be able to go see some of the things he's got listed in there!!!)
Thanks again, Hans!
Old Jul 10 2006, 09:48 AM   #4
Hans
Master Archivist

Thanks Becky

Hmm, Matthew does list unseen items. He has this system of indicating whether he has actually seen a book himself or not, so he does also lists know publications, not seen by him.

Psst, this is not the first item and/or variation I discovered that isn't listed. My next highlight will also cover one

Visit The Pern Museum & Archives for all your Pern and Anne McCaffrey News and Resources!
The Pern Museum & Archives is the home of the Pern Encyclopedia and the Pern Bloodlines.

Last edited by Hans; Jul 10 2006 at 10:27 AM.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10 2006, 11:26 AM   #5
edith
Dragonrider

Weyrwoman

Fan of: Most of them :)
Now Reading: Don't You Have Time To Think- RP Feynman

very interesting.
the cover looks like a physics textbook!
edith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10 2006, 08:06 PM   #6
Cheryl
Master Archivist

Now Reading: Paladin of Souls (Bujold)

It does look rather boring on the outside, rather like a text book. Great find, Hans!
McCaffrey Quest: annual trivia contest.
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10 2006, 09:54 PM   #7
Lady Maelin
Master Artist

Fan of: Pern,The Ship Who Sang
Now Reading: Anne's Pern EVERYTHING !

I have found, that now I am looking at all my covers to see how they differ from each other. Even if you are not interested in buying these books, it most certainly will get you to look more closely, at what you would other wise not often notice on your own book covers !!!

The stories of childhood leave an indelible impression,and their author always has a niche in the temple of memory from which the image is never cut out to be thrown on the rubbish heap of things that are outgrown and outlived........Howard Pyle
Lady Maelin is offline   Reply With Quote